Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #31
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 
Default Re: Anyone see this on ACA?

Horrible story. Telling mum and dad viewer that their camrys bald tyres will get them police attention would probably not go down well.
What I most disliked about it was the blatant discrimination showed by the police chasing down cars randomly driving by. They were not pulled up in an RBT, quite a few shots of cars being chased down by disco lights. What a shame that everyone who drives a car thats nicely detailed is now guilty.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #32
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd also be interested in some stats as to how many people have been killed by a >90db exhaust system
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #33
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
Are there statistics anywhere to say x amount of people have been injured by an air cleaner poking through a bonnet? Not crash tests, actual incidents. Or is it just blindly accepted it's a common occurance that people are being injured by air cleaners. I honestly dont know but would love to.
You would imagine that a bull bar would do a hell of a lot more damage than an air cleaner. But them's the rules.
Old 25-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would`nt it be nice if one day(i know i`m dreaming) ACA did a show with modified cars showing some of the many responsible car enthusiasts, the hours that` they spend not only enhancing their car but spending time making it as perfect as possible, also the social side of it , the many good things that come out of it,charity events, family days and so on,
sadly no it ACA, they only show the negative side of everything.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
What I most disliked about it was the blatant discrimination showed by the police chasing down cars randomly driving by. They were not pulled up in an RBT, quite a few shots of cars being chased down by disco lights. What a shame that everyone who drives a car thats nicely detailed is now guilty.
^^ this. agree completely.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #36
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
would`nt it be nice if one day(i know i`m dreaming) ACA did a show with modified cars showing some of the many responsible car enthusiasts, the hours that` they spend not only enhancing their car but spending time making it as perfect as possible, also the social side of it , the many good things that come out of it,charity events, family days and so on,
sadly no it ACA, they only show the negative side of everything.
I distinctly remember a segment about some GT club where they were going on about how beautiful the cars are and what a rewarding hobby it is and how it's fun for the whole family -- they showed the cars revving and driving around and stuff, all in a positive light

The sudden about-face to "car enthusiasts are evil reckless baby killers" is hilarious; they really have no shame at all about chasing ratings. I wonder how you'd feel spending four years in uni studying journalism, with dreams of becoming a national news anchor, and then you graduate and wind up with a job chasing around dodgy plumbers and tax evaders for Today Tonight. Do you reckon these people go home at night and cry over their broken dreams?
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #37
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Whilst watching this report, i thought to myself' Why don't more people put those exhausts on that ur able to controll the sound via remote' like, is it, XForce Varex?
Then all of a sudden, jap import comes up, they are looking down the exhaust, it has one of these systems. Lol

It was then so funny to see them do the audio reading with the flap fully open.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #38
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconForce
the filter was dead center of the bonnet which has a very high chance of pedestrian impact if it had a cover on it it would probably be legal. As for police lights and bonnet emblems, police lights are in a low pedestrian impact area, that is why they set back in the middle of the roof and bonnet emblems are designed to snap off very easily if impacted by a pedestrian.
Bonnet emblems on Mercedes of the same vintage as an XY are not designed to snap off. Nor are those of the Jag, Rolls Royce or Bentley that were made of metal in the sixties and seventies. If you are going to get hit by a steel bumpered old car, the air cleaner will be the least of your worries.
Still does not compare to a bullbar with fishing rod holders and huge aerials.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #39
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I'd also be interested in some stats as to how many people have been killed by a >90db exhaust system
That is the "social disturbance" part of the hoon laws. Much like a barking dog next door, or the truck using a JakeBrake down a hill in a residential area.
It is also why the laws are failing. Creating a minority group segregated from the rest of society, isolated by law and penalties only results in them being more antisocial. Tougher laws just reinforce the situation. (We don't see people on ACA wanting the nextdoor neighbor to be locked up and have a penalty applied to the same value as his motor vehicle just because he played loud music on Saturday night.)
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #40
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
surely this borders on discrimination. they pull you over under the pretense of a breatho, then basically impound your car. ordinarily it wouldn't be an issue, but when they are consciously only pulling over cars that 'look' modified etc, rather than random road users, then to me its unfairly targeting certain people.

as it turns out, most of the cars had issues (bald tyres, door being tied shut on the inside, illegal tint etc) but thats not to say all these issues could be found on innocent looking cars. whats worse is the presenters and reporters sit/stand there looking all smug like they are doing the world a favour.

also, what it doesn't point out is how many cars they pulled over in total and what % got impounded. i'm guessing it was a fairly low % but lets not let too many facts (if any) get in the way.
The numbers would have been staggering. They chose to conduct their "random" breath tests and in La Perouse for a very specific reason, it's hugely popular as a cruising location.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #41
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
This might be off topic so if moderators feel it is please delete this post.

Are there statistics anywhere to say x amount of people have been injured by an air cleaner poking through a bonnet? Not crash tests, actual incidents. Or is it just blindly accepted it's a common occurance that people are being injured by air cleaners. I honestly dont know but would love to.

Statistics anywhere that list what illegal modifications have caused death or injury?

A few months back I was at a hot rod event in the US where there were 3500 entrants and a stack more in attendance. Folks driving around the streets in blown unfendered cars ,low as low having a ball. It all seemed quite natural and nobody was getting hurt. It just makes me wonder how we here in Australia have ended up with so many rules and regulations on what we can do to our cars. And now being policed like car enthusiasts are public enemy number one.
Do you really wonder? Everyday i see people giving car enthusiasts a bad name. For example burnouts, racing from the lights doing senseless lappies, un roadworthy vehicles, overtaking on double lines around blind corners. Need i say more, that's why we have so many rules.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #42
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Better to be a murderer, rapist or peadophile these days, less chance of being caught and if you did you would probably still get off.
Old 25-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #43
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the XForce Varex illegal? That WRX had a similar system fitted and he got defected for it.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #44
[Buckets]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
Is the XForce Varex illegal? That WRX had a similar system fitted and he got defected for it.
I wondered the same thing...I would have thought as long as you drive on the streets with it at the legal level it'd be fine.
[Buckets] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #45
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

John Cadogan having a go at behaviour of drivers in the TT clip was a bit rich for my liking, given the hooning enthusiastic driving he was doing in the GT-P review for Caradvice. Stinks of hypocrisy

Last edited by SM1DY; 25-01-2012 at 06:44 PM.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #46
bluovl

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
Do you really wonder? Everyday i see people giving car enthusiasts a bad name. For example burnouts, racing from the lights doing senseless lappies, un roadworthy vehicles, overtaking on double lines around blind corners. Need i say more, that's why we have so many rules.
Well maybe I dont wonder. Maybe I feel insulted. Insulted and cheesed off because 'authorities' treat me like a second class citizen because of my hobby. The fact they cant separate the imbeciles from the true enthusiast.
Yes I've bent the rules when it come to my cars. I'll admit that. But I've owned one of them now for close to thirty years now and drive it like an old woman. I get pulled over by the cops and it's if I've just murdered somebody.
I know that they have a job to do and are directed to target modified cars. Surely a bit of a common sense approach would be better for relations with the car enthusiast.
But then again I guess this type of targetting has happened as long as there have been modified vehicles. Look at the hot rods of the 40's & 50's.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #47
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
Yes - emissions regs....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #48
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
Better to be a murderer, rapist or peadophile these days, less chance of being caught and if you did you would probably still get off.
Well if SOPA and PIPA go through, you could get 5 years for uploading a Michael Jackson song... more time then the doctor that killed him... penalties and laws are not directly reflective of the seriousness in nature they are...

eg: A P plater that gets done for beng .02 BAC will get his licence disqualifed, criminal record, court, etc... but a young bloke that punches a cop gets off with a warning...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #49
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I like how she ended the story...

"If you have an issue with "Enthusiasts" in your area, we want to know about it"

What a crock! She might as well say anyone who has any interest in cars is a hoon, whether you be 16 or 60. I'm sure the old boys in the MG Club would love to be labelled the same as those guys in that story.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #50
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Yes - emissions regs....
In regards to the Varex system, are you talking about the emissions being increased from the system?

I found it intriguing when they had a go at the Varex, I always thought it'd be praised as you can keep your car nice and quiet for the residential areas and open it up at the drags etc.
That jap car can always just get a middle varex instead of a rear one anyway, all of these defects won't stop the people shown on ACA from doing it again.

They'll pay the fine, go through the pits (?) or get another RWC. Then straight back to the way it was before the defect.

As other people have mentioned, it was interesting there wasn't any dumped Commos or bogan spec cars in there. (Or maybe there was but the ACA cut them out as this show was about their vendetta for 'enthusiasts of the motor vehicle' )
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #51
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Yes - emissions regs....
How so? If the flap and diverter is after the CAT convertor it wont raise emissions.... it only makes it louder.

A muffler doesnt do anything for emissions.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #52
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

The varex is considered illegal as the owner/driver can open it at any stage which means it may make the car too loud in the rpm range that the car must meet noise regulations, Factory Bimodel systems are controlled to open at a set point which is normally above the tested rpm range

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #53
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I don't know why people a) watch this sort of drivel and b) get upset by it if they do. The program is all about sensationalism and you can't achieve that by filming car enthusiasts being compliant with the law. Otherwise, why would it exist?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #54
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dude at 4:15 deserves a $500 fine for the hair do.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #55
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
The varex is considered illegal as the owner/driver can open it at any stage which means it may make the car too loud in the rpm range that the car must meet noise regulations, Factory Bimodel systems are controlled to open at a set point which is normally above the tested rpm range
I suppose that means that deactivating the bimodal solenoid on the new GT, as many have done (including me) is an illegal modification...assuming it makes the car too loud in the rpm range that it must meet regulations, which I suspect it would otherwise the flaps wouldn't be required in the first place!

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #56
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Yes it does

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #57
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I don't know why people a) watch this sort of drivel and b) get upset by it if they do. The program is all about sensationalism and you can't achieve that by filming car enthusiasts being compliant with the law. Otherwise, why would it exist?
Exactly right. I don't know anyone that admits to watching those shows but yet they are still around. Go figure.....
Old 25-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #58
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

WOW ... just wow...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #59
andrich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely getting hit by the steel bumper bar and steel bonnet on an XY is more of a worry then an air cleaner....lol Such a load of cr*p
andrich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #60
Addz08
"FEED IT"

I think the air cleaner is the least of your worries if ya get mowed down by a XW-XY........
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post