Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #31
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The VE looks a lot more like the VZ than the FG looks like the BA..what is this guy smoking?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #32
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
The VE looks a lot more like the VZ than the FG looks like the BA..what is this guy smoking?
Thats what i thought too...
Old 19-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

That's why the VZ came out so Holden wouldn't get a AU Falcon response when it came out. Funny enough cutting edge also tends to be called ugly so the two will stick to conservative.
Old 19-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #34
1TUFFUTE
Banned

anyone who thinks that outcome is warrented is a tool. the falcon looses out on a touch screen and a optional airbag..but still comes in as a SAFER car standard. It also offers better transmission...much more power in over 100 more torque. OH yeah and a big one in case no one noticed. The commadore uses 2.6 l more per klm. The commadore still has no split rear seats for crying out load. Mayaswell buy a mini. And dont get me started on REVOLTIONARY cosmetic body changes. id be embarised if ford tried that one. The fg looks nothing like a ba falcon. And did no one notice all the real time comparos from people here who have driven them. All completely landslid in favour of the falcon. From memory its been that way in the base models for a loooong time now. I was on the ls1 forum yesterday and reading a thread devoted to all these guys who hated the look and feel of the ve. Most hated..prefered of sold there ve and went back to vz. Nothing new there im sure. The real score from unbiased persons from that readout with the normal attention givin to things such as engine...driveline..and a stupid little thing such as fuel economy..among other things....would have given the win marginaly to the ford. WHATEVER
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #35
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
The commadore uses 2.6 l more per klm.
It was using E85. The car comes with their touch screen system, with built in hard drive, iPod connectivity, side curtain airbags and duel climate control to name a few. It does have more kit. Does this kit make it a better drivers car? No, Falcon wins here hands down. Does the added kit make it a more well rounded package to an average joe, yes.
Old 20-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #36
Chopped
as in chopped

Who actually buys Omegas and XTs ?!!

All I see is XR6s and SV6s.

The "third competitor" Aurion doesn't even get mentioned buy the press anymore. Win for the Aussies.
Old 20-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #37
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I thought the review was pretty balanced. And re: the touchscreen, it's all about the gadgets these days- people love em! To 'lose' by 6 points isnt that big a deal.

Re: his paragraph on design:

Both cars are evolutions of long-running body shapes, the VE being the more recently and majorly overhauled in 2006 while the FG's body shape harks back to the BA.

I think hes confused styling evolution with the platform the car is based on; VE was clean sheet in 05, FG harks back to BA (AU even) and its still better than thebillion dollar baby ;)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #38
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Who actually buys Omegas and XTs ?!!

All I see is XR6s and SV6s.

The "third competitor" Aurion doesn't even get mentioned buy the press anymore. Win for the Aussies.

What are you talking about? The Aurion is Aussie made.
Old 20-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #39
Wardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
I think hes confused styling evolution with the platform the car is based on; VE was clean sheet in 05, FG harks back to BA (AU even) and its still better than thebillion dollar baby ;)
I think you will find the FG owes very little to the AU-BA series. The BA-BF was the AU series with new nose and tail. The FG is all new, have a close look at the roofline.
Old 20-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #40
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lol at some of the posts on the website.. I hope stuart reads them.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #41
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
how does the ve far "out do" the falcon ? a gimmicky touch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
and Im sorry, touch screens are gimmicky .
Quick somebody should tell apple to ", you are going the wrong way" before it is too late!

Just kidding, gimmicky or not, I think that this is just the start of a revolution of in car info, in fact if it is making it's way into the base model cars now, just think what will be available in high end cars in to the very near future. I don't think Ford will be too far behind on this one either. I just hope it is welcomed here by the nay sayers when it does arrive in Falcon though.

Bud Bud.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #42
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardo
I think you will find the FG owes very little to the AU-BA series. The BA-BF was the AU series with new nose and tail. The FG is all new, have a close look at the roofline.
actually the roof was different au to ba, engines different , rear end different, interior different, brakes different, wheels different, and of course the nose and tail, did i miss anything?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #43
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I think the only things that were carried over from the AU to the BA were the doors.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #44
tweeked
N/A all the way

He gets smashed with the comments doesnt he!

Some are a bit familiar though

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #45
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Quick somebody should tell apple to ", you are going the wrong way" before it is too late!

Just kidding, gimmicky or not, I think that this is just the start of a revolution of in car info, in fact if it is making it's way into the base model cars now, just think what will be available in high end cars in to the very near future. I don't think Ford will be too far behind on this one either. I just hope it is welcomed here by the nay sayers when it does arrive in Falcon though.

Bud Bud.
probably why i dont have an iphone either then , and my ipod is the non touchscreen version.

well it wont be welcomed by me that I can assure you. I hope ford head down the voice recognition path instead .
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #46
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

We use both of these as company cars and well bottom line is , they are very similar in every way EXCEPT for one... The falcons last many many times longer over the years than the commodores ..Safety wise they are similar, driving wise similar.. the reason commodores outsell Falcons is simple... A falcon if looked after will have a much longer lifespan... less falcons being sold as they last MUCH longer than GMH product..
As for comparisons, they are almost identical in every way, only difference is the pulling power (not speed)... falcon is much better at towing than commodore..
So bottom line, if your buying a car these 2 are the same in almost everyway..if you want a car that will last as long as you want to keep it..get the Ford !

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #47
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
We use both of these as company cars and well bottom line is , they are very similar in every way EXCEPT for one... The falcons last many many times longer over the years than the commodores ..Safety wise they are similar, driving wise similar.. the reason commodores outsell Falcons is simple... A falcon if looked after will have a much longer lifespan... less falcons being sold as they last MUCH longer than GMH product..
As for comparisons, they are almost identical in every way, only difference is the pulling power (not speed)... falcon is much better at towing than commodore..
So bottom line, if your buying a car these 2 are the same in almost everyway..if you want a car that will last as long as you want to keep it..get the Ford !
A looked after Commodore has just as much of a lifespan as a Falcon does mate.

There's still plenty of older model Commodores getting around, but honestly both the Falcon, and Commodore when given a bit of TLC are very durable cars that last for years.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #48
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
A looked after Commodore has just as much of a lifespan as a Falcon does mate.

There's still plenty of older model Commodores getting around, but honestly both the Falcon, and Commodore when given a bit of TLC are very durable cars that last for years.

No doubt they can if looked after...older models of most cars are usually cared for by enthusiasts..In standard Form as they are..we have never had a commodore be any use after 250,000 ..whereas we have fords in the fleet that will easilly do 400,000 , look at cabs and the K's they can put on them.. Im not saying that commodores cant last if looked after, just that there motors will give in well before the i6 of the ford does.. back when GMH made real cars ( Pre shittadores) , the red & blue motor were great..pity they went cheap and got crap from the VL onwards...still the V6 today is a good motor, but life wise...no where near as strong and long lasting as the i6 ...

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #49
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the headlights and taillights on both cars I would say that the GM car is outdated.
The Ford is Current.

Look at the pictures above - the VEII ahas BA headlights (and BA 323 Astina rear tail lights).
I would say that GM had to add tech, as they could not afford to change the metal. Even HSV dont like the rear tail lights !!
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #50
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
What are you talking about? The Aurion is Aussie made.
Did the Australians Design and Engineer it from scratch ?
(Or is it just a rebadged V6 Camry from overseas)
Old 20-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #51
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
No doubt they can if looked after...older models of most cars are usually cared for by enthusiasts..In standard Form as they are..we have never had a commodore be any use after 250,000 ..whereas we have fords in the fleet that will easilly do 400,000 , look at cabs and the K's they can put on them.. Im not saying that commodores cant last if looked after, just that there motors will give in well before the i6 of the ford does.. back when GMH made real cars ( Pre shittadores) , the red & blue motor were great..pity they went cheap and got crap from the VL onwards...still the V6 today is a good motor, but life wise...no where near as strong and long lasting as the i6 ...
I agree about the Ford I6. My grand mother owns an ED Fairmont which my grand dad bought brand new in 1994. It has roughly 400,000Ks now, and still drives like it's new. I haven't seen an example of a Commodore similar. Not even my own.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #52
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardo
You've sort of made the same mistake as the journo...

I'm talking about the platform that the car is built on, underneath the skin.

Visually yes, BA got kept the AU cabin (albeit with new front and rear screens, flatter roof pressing) and AU door skins w/mirrors. Under the skin there was still a bit of AU there. BA-Fs even have the old AU sill panel beneath their side skirts.

Visually the FG is completely new ('top hat') but underneath the skin however it's an updated BA platform which is in turn a heavily updated AU platform.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #53
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

LOL @ all the diehards slashing their e-wrists over a review from a clearly sub-par website.

Who cares what the review says? Are you going to change your opinion on the car based on one review? Are you going to sell up your falcon for a commodore because mr commercial media says so? No.

In my honest opinion, both cars are buckets of ****. They are overly heavy, under braked, with sloppy autos and dreary, raspy pooslinging motors. They are white good cars for people that don't have a whole lot of interest in cars - on par with hyundai i45's and toyota camrys. And the package is aimed at people who care about more stuff for less $$$.

The fact is, that ford offer one of the best RWD sedans on the market under $100,000 (imo) with the turbo models, and holden have a pretty alright n stuff v8 compared to the dreary 5.4 ford. If I had the choice of spending the $70k price tag for a rear drive performance sedan, i'd walk past both of them, and go straight for a couple-of-years-old M5.

But the fact of the matter is, that the Omega and the XT aren't performance cars, they're budget cars. And people bickering over which budget car is better is retarded, because when push comes to shove, they are essentially the same car.
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #54
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Did the Australians Design and Engineer it from scratch ?
(Or is it just a rebadged V6 Camry from overseas)
It's a car that came from overseas. The Aurion sold big in America as the AVALON (yes, the same name as the Dame Edna endorsed POS), until the runaway throttles casued Toyota to stop production. The Camry is also overseas designed and built; here we just put the CKD (Complete Knock Down) bits together.

As for Stuart, he's the worst kind of journalist; he loves the vehicles Holden sends him to evaluate every 4 weeks.

Quote: