Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #31
old fordnut
too many fords

Is the xr8 rack speed sensitive?

Daily driver 2: Nissan gq patrol

Project 1: XP ute, 351W, c4, 9inch

Project 2: XBGS sedan, sunburnt orange and vinyl, original 4spd, 302C.
old fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #32
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
RE: steering racks,

Replace it! as has been previously stated it is cheap insurance! They are a exchange item, no matter where you get it from! they don't make NEW ones anymore, Go to repco they are your cheapest option. I recently replaced mine, i work for Ford spare parts and the Repco one was cheaper than getting the Ford one even at staff price!
Ok, is this an easy DIY job, if I get an exchange rack from Repco?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #33
urbancowboy

I wouldn't say easy, but i didn't do mine myself, i got my work to do it for me. If you do it yourself be prepared for the time the job takes to blow out! You will probably have to pay a deposit on the rack because they're exchange, they want a deposit till you give them your old rack i think its about 300 (which they then re-co for the next person), Also the car will need a wheel alignment.
Be smart and replace as much as you can afford while your at it, it will save you needing to change a tie rod end anytime soon! My moto is fix something once properly, save yourself a headache later.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

2 nuts for the tierod ends, 2 nuts that hold the rack to the cross member, 1 bolt that holds the rack to the intermediate shaft, 2 power steering lines and maybe a clip for a wiring loom if there is a speed sensor.

Don't think that'd take to long.

As for replacing tierods. My motto does differ, in that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #35
boinker43
Starter Motor

Cool Stop it

Rack ends with seals AU I II III, $20 a pair.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-A...item414b7e6f95
Rack boots with ties, $10 a pair.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-P...item3358b5234f
Stop giving your perfectly good rack to the place, and buying someone elses for $300, of which they only replaced these parts.
So they can sell yours to someone else after only replacing these parts.

Last edited by boinker43; 08-01-2010 at 01:59 PM.
boinker43 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #36
peterban
AULTD

Has anyone done this by just replacing the parts boinker43 suggests.
How hard is it to replace the rack ends?
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #37
White_sr_taxi

i have seen on thy forums, do a serch and you'll find it its a "how to" i think... but by reading the closing comments i would't give it a go, get someone who can give you a warranty on the work done and whos done them thousands of times. unless you do it for a living. Edit: thats for full reco rack and ends.

Last edited by White_sr_taxi; 08-01-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: didn't finish
White_sr_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #38
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

As white SR taxi has suggested, it might be best if you allow someone else to replace the rackends, rather than do it yourself, as it might end up disasterous. I could describe the procedure for replacement, however I would prefer not to.

I have seen the end result of inexperienced people (No offense to your abilities) replacing these and the result hasn't been pretty for the owner, or the other innocient driver.

Sorry BOINKER43. They do more than replace those bits you have said. They replace all the seals inside the rack and check all the "gears or cogs" inside the rack for any signs of wear. A little more complex than you're suggesting. If there is signs of wear on these gears/cogs, they are replaced. If they aren't, the result is they jump, which can cause loss of direct steering input. Yes there are more factors with it all, but I'd prefer to keep it rather brief and simple, to save issues down the track.

For memory, MONTYV8 posted an exploded view of a rack on the forum once before. (A rack that was wrecked). If that picture could be found, that'd be perfect to show what I'm describing with these gears/cogs.

So for piece of mind, buying an exchange unit is the best option. Steering racks is your main control of the car.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 08-01-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #39
boinker43
Starter Motor

I suggest one of you, or all of you, go and message the CV place on EBay, and ask them how easy it is.
I believe they are qualified to tell you what is involved.
I am not, but mine works fine anyway.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m not qaulified but i did my own rack from top to bottom, if someone did only those parts you have mentioned Boinker43, i would`nt be very happy mate, i found a fair bit of grit in my rack even though i just originally pulled it apart because the left side had seeped oil into the dust boot, once pulled completly to bits to clean and check would you not replace all seals?, i did and the job was a pain in the --- and i would`nt do it again, any one buying a reco rack should also ask about warranty included, would you buy one with 3 months warranty? i also flushed the lines and pump on mine before reasembly, and a front end alignment is also required .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #41
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinker43
I suggest one of you, or all of you, go and message the CV place on EBay, and ask them how easy it is.
I believe they are qualified to tell you what is involved.
I am not, but mine works fine anyway.

No need to when I see them constantly.

Another problem buying from ebay is, warranty. Generally for a rack to be covered by warranty, they've got to be fitted by a qualified mechanic. If you have problems with one of these ebay racks, and you end up with problems, what headaches are you going to encounter? Plenty I'd suspect.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 AM   #42
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i`m not qaulified but i did my own rack from top to bottom,
Yeah I did one in a Commodore some years ago. It wasn't a huge production.
I don't know about Ford's (actually I don't know about any other than the one I did) but I wouldn't be concerned about doing another.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #43
boinker43
Starter Motor

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
No need to when I see them constantly.

Another problem buying from ebay is, warranty. Generally for a rack to be covered by warranty, they've got to be fitted by a qualified mechanic. If you have problems with one of these ebay racks, and you end up with problems, what headaches are you going to encounter? Plenty I'd suspect.
Edited:

Please adhere to the Forum Rules and Regulations please ... there is no need for this.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 10-01-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #44
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would be a big problem if you did it your self and it fails at 100kms an hour, most guys on here rather pay the extra money and no its done right,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #45
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what are you talking about. i picked up a 2 hand rack for 50 bucks, no leaks or anythingm you have to no the right people

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #46
peterban
AULTD

I have had a look at the exploded view of the steering rack and it looks as if the seals are not that easy to replace.
From what you say Boinker43 the ends just screw in. Can you do this with the rack in place and is the seal easy to replace?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #47
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Edited:

Please adhere to the Forum Rules and Regulations please ... there is no need for this.
mate you need to calm down, he`s entitled to his opinion as much as you. but no need for hostility..

Last edited by Mechan1k; 10-01-2010 at 02:44 AM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #48
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Edited:

I'll say one thing about your reply. Replacing a rackend doesn't entail replacing a seal. If all that is stuffed is a rackend or tierod, that's what I'll replace. However if it is leaking internally, yes replace the whole thing.

As for the ebay racks. I'm not saying not to get them. All I'm saying is be careful warranty wise. Nothing worse than being dooped, unless you don't mind of course.

$20 rackend. Uh ha. We'll leave the rest alone now.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 10-01-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 AM   #49
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Afterr a little clean-up ... let me please remind you all of the Forum Rules and Regulations ... they can be found here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/announc...nouncementid=2

Please familiarise yourselves with them.

Now the AU section has been pretty good for quite a while ... and the group of us really don't have to pull anyone into line ... but on the rare occasion we do.

Please play nice ... the forum is here to help everyone with technical expertise from members who give their valuable time and knowledge.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 03:03 AM   #50
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I'll attempt to explain how to replace a rackend.

Once you have the wheel removed from the vehicle, undo the tierod locking nut. You only need to break the seal between the nut and the tierod.

Then undo the nut holding the tierod end into the stub axle. Some of these nuts are castled (which would mean removing the splitpin) or they might just be a nylocnut. Once that has been achieved, hit the stub axle right near the tierod end with a hammer with a couple of short sharp blows, until the tierod end drops free.

Then at the rack boot, undo the zip tie at the rack itself and peel back the boot, so it exposes the rackend. You should then see a flat washer than has been folded in 2 spots over the flat of the rackend. These 2 folds need to be straightened which ever way you so desire.

Once this has been successfully achieved, you can then undo the rackend, either with a pair of mulitgrips, a pipe wrench, shifter or correct sized open ended spanner.

Replacement is reversal of removing. I do prefer to place a line of loctite on the rackend thread, prior to installing it into the rack itself. This ensures that the end won't work loose.

You do have to be careful re-threading the rackend into the rack, as it can be stripped quite easily. It is also imperative that the washer at the end of the rack end is also folded back over the flats of the rackend, as this also holds it in place.

Obviously you'll have to place the tierod and tierod nut back on the new rackend. When this is all back together, with the rim back on the car, and prior to lowering it off the stands, just turn the tierod end until the wheels are pointing straight ahead, as best as the eye can see. The obviously head off for the alignment.

Hopefully this helps with the replacement. I'll also add in, I have never ever had to replace a seal when I've replaced a rackend. The rackends I've replaced is because the balljoint is worn, not because a seal is leaking. Once the replacement has been done, the rack has been fine and leak free as well.

Generally when the seals start leaking, this is a sign things are worn internally within the rack. This is the time I generally suggest to replace them. Of course I do recommend exchange units, however it's upto the individual whether they get a recoed one, newie or 2nd hand.

Good luck with it all now

Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #51
old fordnut
too many fords

This thread certainly opened up a can of worms. Its alright ppl no need to take any of it to heart. I only asked a simple question and now all this has started.

Daily driver 2: Nissan gq patrol

Project 1: XP ute, 351W, c4, 9inch

Project 2: XBGS sedan, sunburnt orange and vinyl, original 4spd, 302C.
old fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #52
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hey SVO,

do you mind continuing on with your "how to" and include seal replacement (inc any differences with speed sensitive).

Cheers...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #53
peterban
AULTD

So is it useless replacing the rack ends if their is fluid leaking from the boots??
Old 10-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #54
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Yes it would be useless replacing the rackends if it's leaking fluid out of the rack itself. (It pools up in the rack boots) This is when I suggest replacing the entire rack. However people have differing opinions, which has ben shown in this thread.

As I've already mentioned, if the seals are leaking at the end of the rack, where the,I recommend rack replacements, hence me never replacing just one or 2 seals. (There are a few within the rack tiself). Again, others have their opinions with that, so I'll leave it upto the individual what they want to do

Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #55
bubbadamaged
Starter Motor

Smile funny huh

ive just figured another use for the "Fan Clutch Wrench" from me xf
perfect fit for taking the rack ends off than using a normal adjustable wrench.

After i took a rackend off i figured that those bent washers can give trouble if they aint bent back because afterwards i saw the little pins in the washer to keep it in place.

after that experiance i saw that "svo supporter"
already had the details explained in taking the rackend out it could have saved me self trouble if i could have read it in time.

but aleast i did it now
and i got a new property for the fan clutch tool. now
bubbadamaged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #56
Bolly
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought my AU2 XR8 at 30,000 kilo`s and the the rack had a seepage leak ..or a very slight leak..nothing leaked on the ground..cars done 47,000 ks and still the same..
As a mechanic for a Holden,Volvo,and Jaguar dealerships from years ago, every rack had some seepage ..never saw a DRY rack..most of the cars had less than 20,000 kilo`s.
Bolly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #57
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolly
i bought my AU2 XR8 at 30,000 kilo`s and the the rack had a seepage leak ..or a very slight leak..nothing leaked on the ground..cars done 47,000 ks and still the same..
As a mechanic for a Holden,Volvo,and Jaguar dealerships from years ago, every rack had some seepage ..never saw a DRY rack..most of the cars had less than 20,000 kilo`s.

I spend most of my days underneath the front of cars, aligning them. So from what you're saying, I should come home smelling like an auto tranmission.

Well, I can tell you, I don't. I come home smelling like an old motor, with all the engine oil leaks I see. I see the occasional leaking rack and that's it.

BTW. Volvos and Jags had leaks from the factory everywhere, so it's pointless using them as an example.