Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do You Wear A Watch?
Yes 116 51.79%
No 80 35.71%
Only on Special Occasions? 28 12.50%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #31
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Cant wear one for work after getting a burn from a welder, a Apprentice giving me a hand to tack up some stuff with a stick welder and a steel band watch sont mix. Had a nice red ring around a 3rd of my wrist.
That's the reason why I'm looking for a plastic watch for work. I'm an industrial sparky and have a metal band watch - it's really not a good idea but I take it off if my hands have to go prodding.
Except instead of getting a nice red ring around the wrist, I'd probably lose my hand instead lol
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #32
dandandandan

I wear a Swatch Blustery. Nothing special. But I do love it.

BA MKII XR6T, Vixen, Leather, Sunroof.
Stock as a rock... Till after xmas :evil3:
dandandandan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #33
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

What is it with people wearing their phone on their wrist? lol!...

The best watch i own is a Pocket Watch... which is a limited edition Bi-Centenial Watch from 1988...
Old 01-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #34
myxr6
Banned

I wear an Omega 259980 .
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #35
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Guess stainless steel watch that i never wear to work and its scratched as on the band but the face is fine.. yet i never do anything that would scratch it.. dont know if its a sign of cheap stainless steel or what? and a casio digital thats a few years old now that i wear to work or when doing physical stuff like workin on cars etc
Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #36
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in the watch business for 22 years and had my own watch company.
Due to cheaper manufacturing costs, 80% - 90% of all watches are manufactured in China including all the big name brands. The Chinese can make a gents analogue date metal watch on a metal link band for USD$1.50.

My watches were all analogues, day/date, 100m- 200m, screw crown, screw back, mineral crystal glass, 316 grade stainless, Citizen movement, plain steel or gold, built precicely to my specifications, and the dearest one cost me landed here - AUS$35.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #37
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Don't usually wear a watch because of it being unsafe at work to wear one, but like to wear one when the Mrs and I go out somewhere.
Got a Casio Beside which my father gave me after returning from a trip to Europe.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #38
XH98

Yes....a Schwarz-Etienne GMT Chronograph, circa 2001. An unknown brand in Australia but the company goes back to 1902. Has a sapphire crystal back showing the well detailed automatic movement. Large 43mm dial and it's quite heavy. Have added a deployant clasp which will ensure the original leather band doesn't damage. Wear it everyday.

https://www.watch.de/cgi-bin/bilddet...D=86180&lang=2

Also, I have my late father's Omega Speedmaster circa 1976. Used to wear it regularly but now prefer it as a keepsake.
XH98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #39
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I have two watches.

Got a Marc Ecko watch...Got it about 5 years ago now. Still ticks fine. Never had to replace the battery. Screen is still perfect.

And I have a Ford limited edition...Seiko I think (it was a gift) as my dress watch.

I feel naked without a watch!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #40
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

thinking something in the breitling range as my next 1 love a quality watch ,omegas are a great watch http://www.breitling.com/en/#/models...der/blackbird/

never go anywhere without watch ,go quite a few
Old 01-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #41
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
iphone tells time, car tells time, computer tells time, microwave tells time, radio tells time -
How have you managed to fit all that stuff on your wrist........
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #42
Streetvision
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
My daily watch is a Rolex Submariner with Date. In dire need of a service as I wear it everywhere. Even in the gym so she does have a fair few scratches on the band.
IMHO, A true classic. while i did look at rolex's when i was making my first luxury timepiece purchase. the seamaster just appealed to me better but rolex's complete in house movement, subbies are just something you have to have in your collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
That's a good looking watch
Cheers, altho to be honest the press photos don't do it any justice, that wave pattern you can only see on certain angles in certain lighting conditions and its not THAT light blue. i'll upload some pics for ya.

Streetvision is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #43
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love watches and wish I had the time to really get into it and money to become a collector. Unfortunately all of the watches I like run into the thousands, so I could see it becoming a quite expensive hobby.

Whenever I go to a capital city I always seek out jewellers and watch shops and do a bit of window shopping while my wife hits the shops.

My dream watch is an Omega Speedmaster moon watch (any model), but I would have a lot of trouble justifying the $$ for one to the minister of finance.

Of course I usually work on the premise that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission when making largish purchases, but a purchase like this could be the deal breaker!

I own two watches.

A Tissot titanium chrono is my at home/going out watch. Purchased it in Lucerne as a souvenir while over their in 2000. Just got it back from a service actually.

At work I wear a cheapish chinese copy of a seiko divers watch complete with rubber wrist band. Its practical but thats it.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #44
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

I used to wear a watch, but I began to realise that the last 10mins of a meeting, everyone was watching their watches and nothing got done... So, I stopped wearing it and now I've noticed that no-one else watches the time! Weird!
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #45
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I only wear a watch when i go out for dinner etc.. Dont wear one work, gets in the way with the laptop etc on your wrist...

Im due to buy a new bling bling one, probably spend $500 ish soon on a decent one.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #46
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I Always wear a watch unless i'm doing something grubby.
I'm a white collar worker and I wear black pants and long sleeved shirts all day long so it just fits.
Also, a Casio dual-timer here. Analogue and Digital. Digital for the alarm, stopwatch and date, and it has digital time too but i prefer to tell time by the Analogue, it helps to guage the feel of time better.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #47
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i havent worn a watch since my gf bought me a gold bracelet for my 18th lol
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #48
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I have a stainless steel Lorus Sports watch. I only wear it when I am travelling for work, otherwise it will get ruined.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #49
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

I own a few watches but the ones I wear the most are Rolex Submariner (1680) in stainless steel, Rolex GMT Master (1675) 18k with rivited oyster bracelet and GMT Master II (16710), stainless steel 'pepsi bezel'.

There are a few watch fans here, I think 'Thunder' on this forum is a watch dealer too.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #50
nxd351
Starter Motor

Love the topic I love watches always have since I was a kid have 9 so far, two Omegas inherited my fathers a few years back bought another seamaster last year have a couple of Seiko's a premier chronograph and Titanium Sportura a lovely Longines calibre a few other promo watches got married yesterday the new wife bought me a rolex submariner 50th anniversary from Langfords absolutely love it awesome people to deal with Peter and staff would highly recommend them to anyone.She's hoping I will stop collecting them but cant see it happening in the near future, would really like to have a Tissot T-Touch Titanium polished and theres a Breitling I've got my eye on too,Were off for a cruise O/S next week will have to check the duty free shop on the way through see if theres any bargains to be had!!!! Watches were designed to be worn so depending on the mood or the occassion you must have a few to choose from.
nxd351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #51
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the last watch i used was a tissot two timer with a clear face - all the analogue gears showing. i have yet to find a watch i like, in the right price bracket since 1995 so just use the phone instead
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #52
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gots me a Raymond Weil,it's sposed to be a dress watch but if i'm not working i'm wearing it.
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #53
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Yes. Thanks for asking.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #54
BlackLS
yum

I wear a Pulsar watch, 2 tone silver and gold.

I wear it everywhere cept whilst working on the car, sitting at the desk at work, shower and bed.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #55
stupa

Ive got a guess for everyday stuff and an origional seamaster that was my grandfathers for special occasions
stupa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #56
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I've got a TAG Carrera for good, and a couple of 'replicas' for work, another TAG and a Panerai Lumina.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #57
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Ive got a DKNY watch I bought in Cairns in 03. Always wear it, except for in the shower.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #58
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

I wear a watch and have the tan to prove it.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #59
Dezza
Parts bin special

I'm rarely seen without one. I've just got an el-cheapo. I had a few el-cheapos before this one, the 2nd one was by far the best. I got it in about 1999, and it still runs well on it's original battery! The only problem was I snapped the plastic corner off it a couple of years ago, where the band attaches, which is what has happened to a couple other watches. That's why I've gone for one with a bit more metal now. I've also got a fancier metal analogue watch for special occasions.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #60
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Ive had the same Seiko chronograph watch for 37 years, needs cleaning internally but still going strong. Also got a Unicorn fob watch my great grandfather owned that is about 100 years old.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post