Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
I doubt it. It's no limited edition collectors item unlike the Cobra's, GT40's etc. That it only sold 220 odd units indicates a sales failure - not a limited edition model.
I thought they made about 500 Cobras? 220 units would make the F6X a limited edition whether it ended when the production target was reached or when they decided to "can" it. Consider other failed cars that fetch high resale values after they were canned. It's about a limited supply and the potential demand rather than what the marketing department deem to be a "limited model".
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008WhiteSR
I thought they made about 500 Cobras? 220 units would make the F6X a limited edition whether it ended when the production target was reached or when they decided to "can" it. Consider other failed cars that fetch high resale values after they were canned. It's about a limited supply and the potential demand rather than what the marketing department deem to be a "limited model".
There's a bit more to "collectability" than just limited or low build numbers...
I also doubt SUV's would fall onto the radar of musclecar collectors...

Old 28-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
There's a bit more to "collectability" than just limited or low build numbers...
I also doubt SUV's would fall onto the radar of musclecar collectors...
It might appeal to SUV musclecar collectors (if SUV and musclecar aren't mutually exclusive). You may be right. Time will tell.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008WhiteSR
The people who've recently bought them for sub $60K got a bargain. Cutting off production now at roughly 220 units in total will make them a collector's item and will improve resale value in the future, IMO. If I had one, I'd hold onto it. Sad to see it go.
Just like the HSV Jackaroo?

I could count the number of F6X's I've seen on one hand, as opposed to several sightings of turbo territories I see every day. Still, a replacement model is long overdue.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

that is a shame about the f6-x i really like that car with out the stripes looked like a real sleeper to me, it will be missed by me, those people who brought are proberly lucky because they are rare ! well it will be missed by me and i loved the interior it is different
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

We bought one a few weeks ago, for under 60 kay with 7 seats brand new... Its a fabulous car that was hurt by its original rrp!!!

We are glad we bought it! its a weapon and leaves our old Territory Turbo for dead...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
We bought one a few weeks ago, for under 60 kay with 7 seats brand new... Its a fabulous car that was hurt by its original rrp!!!

We are glad we bought it! its a weapon and leaves our old Territory Turbo for dead...
Under 60K for a 7 seater TTG is a good price, not to mention for a F6X.

I couldn't justify the extra cost over a TTG (yes I looked at trading up). 6 Piston Brembo's, different wheels to accomodate the Brembo's and badges plus a tune wasn't worth the premium.

So I kept the TTG, tuned and debunged it and saved $20 odd thousand. It's quicker than a F6X too.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Basicly Australia only needs one Turbo territory, plus all those F6X 's down the track will retain a good resale value. I think Ford did the right thing.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

See - we're all missing the point here.

FPV & HSV have been the most succesful with the Bread&Butter cars... GT models, Clubsport models.

Why? Because thats what everyone actually wants... these are the cars that people will actually BUY.... these are the cars that people WANT, not dream about or wish they had have bought... they're the sellers....

As someone mentioned earlier, HSV Jackaroo, HSV Astra, TL-50 from Tickford, all flops.... why? because they were ideas that looked good on paper, but nobody actually came to the dealers and bought.... Sure a few of them sold... but realistically not as many as they thought would sell....

Rod Barrett's quotes from the article (linked from first post) are really good...
"“The thing that has led to the decision we have made is that it was never aesthetically different enough from the mother car and probably had a pricetag that didn’t suit the market when it was launched,”" which is basically what everyone has said above...

The bottom line is, it was a cool car, but OVER-priced vs its little brothers from the same stable (TTG & XR6T). And the reality is that there really isn't a proper competitor for the F6X from any other manucaturer.
Before you reply.... X3/X5, Cayenne, Merc, all of these are available a huge colour range that can be aquired from a TV from the 70's (BLACK AND WHITE AND GREY)... plus they are much more expensive and not a Sports/LOUD version of a base model.

Same as the new HSV Clubsportswagon (is that what its called?) has no competitors as Ford/FPV has no equivalent (and the F6X never was a competitor to anyone), and unless you want to compare it to an M3/5 wagon, or an AMG wagon, or the Audi RS6 Avant, then you're not going to find any competitors....

I could go on and on here, but instead I'll start a new thread....

Cheers all...