Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #31
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjul
Another thing Mitsubishi tiptronic +/- is reverse to Ford/Holden, which is a pain after driving Ford/Holden for work. If I were you I'd try and track down one of the few manuals out there.
Never understood the decision that Ford/Holden made with the tiptronic. You'd think logically that to go up a gear you push the level forward (or up) and to go down, backwards (or down).

A few European gear selectors including my current car are that way too.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #32
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Never understood the decision that Ford/Holden made with the tiptronic. You'd think logically that to go up a gear you push the level forward (or up) and to go down, backwards (or down).

A few European gear selectors including my current car are that way too.
Coming from driving a normal H pattern manual that seems counter intuitive to me, even if it is meant to be safer under braking.

I always think of it as going through the 1-2, 3-4 & 5-6 planes. Pull back goes up a gear, push forward goes down a gear. Easy. Of course if it really gives you the irrit’s just reverse the location of the switches.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #33
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I dont quite get whats odd about factory shocks dying under 100K as per above??

Anyway, on topic. I drove a 380 around for a spell before I bought the BA. I couldnt get over the look...sorry but its not quite right. And interior fit and finish was a bit suspect (the seal bits hanging out the sides of the dash were a bit odd and gaps variable).

Driving it was actually a pretty good thing. I reckon a manual would be a bit of fun to drive. Handed ok too for a stocker. Price was good at 30K on the road for a VRX brand new.

That said, Mitsu spent many a year getting the Magna right. Im no Magna fan but given the choice Id steer that way. Resale sucks on both anyway, but I reckon the Magna in its later incarnations was a pretty well sorted platform. (all above refer to manuals, i hate N/A autos)
Old 15-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #34
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

the bottom line is the car ain't the best, and it ain't horrible either.
its good value for money, but only if you can handle a slightly slow change into reverse and front wheel drive.
i wouldn't mind one, just so long as it wasnt a base model.
Old 15-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #35
Crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
Thanks for the feedback guys.

All I am looking for is a reliable reasonably comfy every day car that won't break down. I have the Mustang for the fund and the breakdowns!!

I agreee with most of the comments about the interior, exterior etc. I guess I do so many k's a year in peak hour traffic that I just look at the everyday driver as an appliance, and just looking for the best second hand value I appliance I can get.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I think your on the right track with a 380. Great 3.8L engine, which is more economical than a 4 cyl Camry or Mazda 6. Excellent 5 speed auto. Heaps of room, big boot, tows well, good grip in mud and snow (due to fwd).
One of the best handling front wheel drive family sedans I have driven with good ride on rough dirt roads.

Its drawbacks are its hard to see out over the boot, high beam lights arnt as good as Falcon and Commodore, steering is a bit light for my taste. Interior is not as nice as Accord Euro or Mazda 6 but the 380's drivetrain and handling make up for it and then some.

Take one for a big drive, I have spent driving time in a 380LS and 380SX so a 380GT your looking at should be very nice. Also enquire on the warranty, they had a 5-10yr thing going on.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #36
Hally

Thanks for your feedbak Crazed.

I am actually coming out of an Accord (the missus gets that in the split), and in the driving feel seems similar, just with a lot more grunt. I quite like the light steering (lazy fat bugger who spends his days in peak hour traffic).

I did about 200km's in one on Tuesday, and in terms of economy it equaled my Honda, which suprised me.

If it was going to be my only car, it wouldn't be on the list, but as mentioned previously, I see this car as an appliance only, so it is on the radar.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post