Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #31
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
I read the latest NZAutocar magazine the other day, the one with the FG Falcon on the cover. In the letters to editor section there were quite a few people unhappy with the decision to ban radar detectors. I've heard there is a fair bit of opposition growing around the country in regards to the law change, and that this law change would be repealed by the National government if it got into power.
The editorial of the Feb NZ Autocar refered to an overseas study that found radar detector drivers are involved in less crashes. I can't find the bloody thing for more info.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #32
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
The editorial of the Feb NZ Autocar refered to an overseas study that found radar detector drivers are involved in less crashes. I can't find the bloody thing for more info.
UNLESS Kiwis fight this borish bit of PC rubbish, you will not ever get back that bit of freedom. Sitting back and quitely nagging about it changes nothing, does it?! Write and complain, continue so - or ring and whinge 'directly' with those you elect and pay. They get paid well enough.

I hate idiot speeds and manner, but these moves are for the protection of revenue, nothing more.

If I had my way in NSW, I'd allow the devices again, then would have the road agency 'broadcast a signal' at road lengths where we want folk to be particularly careful - in relation to speed identified issues.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #33
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting points from...

http://www.radardirect.co.nz

WHAT WE KNOW

Quote:
Any public or select committee hearings on Radar Detectors may not be heard until 2009. (well after the election)

• Rumour about laws coming into effect April 1st are incorrect. No date as been set and there is a process that has to be followed.

• Cabinet agreed THAT THERE WOULD BE A 2 YEAR LEAD IN PERIOD BEFORE THE PROPOSALS BECOME LAW assuming that it becomes law.

A ban on the sale of radar detectors is not possible under current legislation because the products in themselves are not dangerous.

Police will not be given the power to search vehicles for equipment to detect or interfere with speed measuring devices because it would breech The Bill of Rights.

The actual proposal is to ban the use or possession, “in a motor vehicle”, of “all equipment” to detect or interfere with the operation of speed measuring devices. This would also ban all GPS car navigation products from Navman, Garmin, Tom Tom and Uniden as they also detect non radar based speed measuring devices.

• At present discussion we have had with other Political parties indicates there is little to no cross party support for these proposal.

You have a right to know when you are been listened to by electronic surveillance. Radar is listening for you. If you feel that your property rights of ownership are been abused by these proposals then you know what to do.

There are already Safety Warning System transmitters operational in New Zealand. Soon more will appear in School Zones and on Trucks being use in road reconstruction.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #34
brmckinless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
lol, radar detectors are passive units and don't emit any signal, they are simply recievers. There for they can't be detected with anything other than a Mark one eyeball. LOL, love some of the crap that's made up on the internet
You might want be wrong here, to my knowledge a radar detector is like all receivers, they use what is called hetrodyning to modulate the on-air frequency with another to create a third lower frequency (i.e. 8.125 mixed with 8.000 gives .125). It is this modulated lower frequency that is 'detected". To get the "8.000" the unit has it's own in built oscillator, it is this internal oscillator that the detector-detectors can pick up as it is radiating (be it awfully low level) but is still itself capable of being found by sensitive devices. In fact the frequencies of the radar is quite high, it usually takes two or more of these intermediate frequency (IF) mixes to get down to the actually usable frequency for detection (super-hetrodyning), every IF has it's own local oscilalator that radiates. If you have ever placed a radio next to a computer you might have noticed a slight interference, the same basic thing is going on. In fact it is this interference where the law makers sometimes legislate the banning of devices as you are basically transmitting a radio frequency unlicenced.
I have been out of the RF world for quite some time and might be wrong here, but there is no such thing as a passive radio device (except maybe the old 1900 crystal sets).

Barry
brmckinless is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #35
XR8putts

Thankfuly this will be the Labour parties last term in office for atleast 4 years. No longer will we be the nation with that Prime Minister.

I'm more interested in what the fine is if someone is caught with a radar detector and when the law comes into effect. No way I'm throwing my Valentine away.

I was driving through a Police breathlysing road block one early Saturday morning a few weeks ago when a Policeofficer said, and I quote "you think you're so smart with that radar detector, don't you?" - To which I responded "do you have an issue with it? or with me? If so, give me your badge number and we'll take it further". This was around the time the media first reported of the government's new laws.
At the time, and now, the propsed law is not yet a law. Ther officer was well out of line. I'll be searching the LTSA/Police's and printing the offical release (with dates) on the topic in my glovebox incase the situation reoccurs.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #36
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Thankfuly this will be the Labour parties last term in office for atleast 4 years. No longer will we be the nation with that Prime Minister.
I hope you registered with the Electrorial commision before making that statement. Remember you can only critise religous parties now.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #37
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Good update Magpie - NZ'ers *must* insist this not happen.

Quote:
• Any public or select committee hearings on Radar Detectors may not be heard until 2009. (well after the election)
And folk must not become complacent or 'weak'. The move, as it was in AUS too, is PC garbage. Opposition to a prohibition does *not* make one a pro 'speed' advocate.

Quote:
• Rumour about laws coming into effect April 1st are incorrect. No date as been set and there is a process that has to be followed.
The process in AUS was the National Harmonisation effort that resulted in ARR, it was kicked off back in 1993 by Keating.

Quote:
• Cabinet agreed THAT THERE WOULD BE A 2 YEAR LEAD IN PERIOD BEFORE THE PROPOSALS BECOME LAW assuming that it becomes law.
Must not become law.

Quote:
• A ban on the sale of radar detectors is not possible under current legislation because the products in themselves are not dangerous.
Unless you pick one up and throw it at someones head.

Quote:
• Police will not be given the power to search vehicles for equipment to detect or interfere with speed measuring devices because it would breech The Bill of Rights.
Interesting; here in Australia we simply 'ignore' that. Most Aussies don't know, or appreciate that the Bill of Rights of 1688 forms part of our inherited law. Most State Constitutions directly reference it in the preamble. Despite PC extreme left-wing activist and loopy 'reform' agenda, this item is not ancient or out of date (nor is Magna Carta), it is relevant and fully fuctional, particularly IF somone has the money to utilize it in legal argument at the highest of courts. Unless folk 'complain', negative things will just 'happen'.

Quote:
• The actual proposal is to ban the use or possession, “in a motor vehicle”, of “all equipment” to detect or interfere with the operation of speed measuring devices. This would also ban all GPS car navigation products from Navman, Garmin, Tom Tom and Uniden as they also detect non radar based speed measuring devices.
GPS et al the fruitloops will *not* ban - since that is exceedingly ludicrous. That said, NZ authorities and loopy advocates *will* study a new ARR amendment soon to be enacted into state and territory law that prohibits the device NOT JUST to inside the vehicle or cabin, but also if fitted to 'trailers'. Seems some trucks had them in trailers here, and so would avoid penalty that way. A closed loop-hole now.

Quote:
• At present discussion we have had with other Political parties indicates there is little to no cross party support for these proposal.
Don't become complacent, in your nay arguments to the proposal to prohibit, you remind folk that you don't support idiot speeds or unsafe driving.

Quote:
There are already Safety Warning System transmitters operational in New Zealand. Soon more will appear in School Zones and on Trucks being use in road reconstruction.
This is one of the reasons why the devices should never have been banned in ARR whatsoever, a move by the dumbed-down politically correct a-holes. Get my way and I'd have NSW withdraw from this ARR prohibition-of-use (Rule 225) and ownership,- under the 'another law of this jurisdiction' provision in that rule.

Mid-late 2008 ARR on the matter:-
225 Using radar detectors and similar devices
(1) A person must not drive a vehicle if the vehicle, or trailer
being towed by the vehicle, has in or on it a device for
preventing the effective use of a speed measuring device, or
a device for detecting the use of a speed measuring device,
unless the person is exempt from this rule under another law
of this jurisdiction.
Offence provision.
Note Drive includes be in control of — see the definition in the
dictionary.
(2) A person who is travelling in or on a vehicle or trailer must
not have in his or her possession a device for preventing the
effective use of a speed measuring device, or a device for
detecting the use of a speed measuring device, unless the
person is exempt from this rule under another law of this
jurisdiction.
Offence provision.
(3) Subrules (1) and (2) apply whether or not the device is
operating or in working order.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 02-03-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #38
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Someone want to fill him in 'Stalkar' MK1, MK2, MK3 etc:-))) I'll do it.
http://www.spectre-rdd.com/stalcar.asp
(One civilian unit notwithstandin
Thats not true, there are some radar detectors that cant be picked up by the RDD's and these ones are well worth there money! :evil3: