Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #31
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Great review mate! Good to see a realistic review, rather than some of the crap you read in new car mags about the people mover not handling corners at 250km well!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #32
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to recently sell the BF Typhoon to make way for the family wagon. We have three children under three and badly needed the boot space.

I looked at the Kluger Grande 4x4, TTG, CX9 and TG. I ended up with the Territory Ghia purely on the financial basis. I got an 07 Sy ghia with Sat Nav, Tow, tint and Roof racks for less than $50k.

I could have got the TTG for $62, Kluger and CX9 for just less than $60k. If money was no object, I would have got a White Cx9 Luxury. Awesome machines.

Having saaid that, our ZF AWD Ghia is great and does the job. We will keep it for a few years to come.
Old 19-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #33
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's amazing to see the amount of people that talk Australian Fords on this site but buy Korean Kias and Japanese Toyotas...

The value in them is hard to go past but everything that's cheaper is usually cheaper for a reason.

Good write up.
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife and I sat in the new Voyager at the Utah Auto Show. While it's impressive, has the stow'n'go seating that hide under the floor, and can reverse and put up a table etc, we thought the seats in the back really are for kids (our nice way of saying they are too small). It is available with a 4L V6. A car that really impresses me at the moment is the GMC Acadia crossover. Holden really need this car against the Ford Territory in Oz (instead of the Craptiva). It seats 8 adults with more interior space than a Suburban, and has the same engine as a Commodore V6, 6 auto, and no doubt the 2.9L V6 diesel is planned to go in it eventually. Apparently it has the driving dynamics of a car, but fun factor of an SUV. I will put it to the test soon, but so far looking good. Not yet available in Oz, but bloody well should be.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #35
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a look at the CX9 today. Yes it is great to look at, styling etc, but totally useless for my needs as previously mentioned. Went for a test drive in the kia. Had better pick up than my BA and my work VZ bommodore!!!
This is the vehicle that we will get, as it is the ONLY one on the market that does all we need, without being ripped off.

enjoy

David
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #36
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Tarago lost its crown of best in class with the introduction of the new model. Many reviewers were not impressed by its lack of space compared to previous models and competitors. The Honda and Kia are a much better choice and better value for $$.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #37
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh and the Honda, add car seats and you lose all luggage space due to the straps/.....

Must be the same childless idiots who designed the territory 3rd row :

Last edited by DJR David; 19-03-2008 at 03:33 PM.
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 03:50 AM   #38
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda CX-9 is a good steer. It is pricey, but is a great drive and better than my Terri I would think if you are after 7 seats.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #39
Duggy

Thumbs up Moving the Family

Just been through the process of buying a new car. We needed 7 seats to be used on occasions with regular interstate trips to visit family & our beloved camping trips.

My short list was the Territory, Kluger, Grandis, & Odyssey. In the end it boiled down the Territory due to local content, parts & service, dealer network, after market bits, interior space, effortless country road touring, LPG fitment (future) & was the best drivers car of the lot bar none. The fact that Carey (wheels) rolled a Kluger in an emergency swerve at highway speed turned me completely off it.

Couldn't ask for more. : Best car Australia makes for carting a family. :
Duggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #40
davester

We moved our Terri AWD Ghia across to my brother, and purchased a new Kia Grand Carnival. The second car in our garage costs over twice as much as the Kia, but the Kia is first choice for our 4 kids.

They've got room to move, adults have better leg room in the 3rd row than any sedan I've sat in for a long time, and you still have loads of boot space.

It's also an OK drive. If you've got four or more kids, you wont find a better value solution. (We also looked at VW, Merc Viano, Tarago, Ssanyong-yuk,). A typical weekend for us includes 4 kids and 4 bikes, hamper and esky all in the car for picnics. It's not the Ritz, but it works beautifully, and has had NO issues.

I still much prefer AWD from the Terri, but space got too tight with our growing family. The KIA is also a great ute when you go to Bunnings. I've had it loaded to the max with decking and timber, lounges and tables. The versatility of it's box-shape and easily removable seats (2nd row clip out, 3rd row dissapear into floor) make weekend jobs easy.

I'm not sure where some get the idea its a rebadged Hyundai, and the engine/gearbox is licenced from Mitsubishi (Kia had it here in Aus before Pajero got it).

I've owned plenty of fast cars, work cars, and SUV's, and the Kia will always have a soft spot as a car for all seasons. You also wont get in trouble from the misses as the young flirty chicks on the street dont bother looking.
davester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #41
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester
I'm not sure where some get the idea its a rebadged Hyundai, and the engine/gearbox is licenced from Mitsubishi (Kia had it here in Aus before Pajero got it).
Your wrong on your info there.

The Grand Carni is a rebadge from the Hyundai Entourage (but Hyundai owns Kia anyway) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Entourage and http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/en...entourage.aspx

Don't know about the engine being licenced from Mitsubishi, but it is a fully Hyundai engine : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Lambda_engine

Unless your thinking of the older Kia Carnivals...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post