Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #31
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Those wheels look good.
Ratman, that is one very nice looking EL XR!!! Well done!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #32
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Laine
The ones in this thread arent simmons either they are a copy.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #33
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good luck with your $1,099 "Simmons"
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #34
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:
Actually they are a licenced Simmons product - now under new ownership.
They carry the simmons face stamp to the rear and serial coding also, as someone has mentioned, construction has now changed - it would seem for the better, time will tell.
I've had a good look right over them and can honestly say they are impressive, I've had 7 sets of simmons on various cars over the years and these seem to be made just as well, finish is very tidy, they do seem lighter to pickup - maybe that was the weetbix I ate that day but I'll try to get some weights to compare to the originals. The only marked difference I could pick is the frog (scoop) to the back of each fork - possibly where some of the weight saving comes from. Its not huge and I wouldn't call them hollow but similar to a brick, they have been designed with this feature. The nuts to the inner dish did look a little cheap imo but u only see them when the wheels are off. Dishes were better than the originals. Text on the caps was micro-mm different - again thats just my opinion and to the average joe, u wouldn't pick it.

To try answer everyone's questions:

285s - yes, guards have 'massaged', do a search on yloooz and u will see more specs/pix on the car. This particular car started with FR18, then 19s and now the 20s. Many mag features over the years but none as it stands now.

the ebay rims mentioned are quite different, the closest style out there is an american rim that goes by the name of Kinesis.

There is another group in WA that are working on the older smaller styles - B45 / V5s, don't know much about them myself but I understand 16s will be the biggest they go.

ATM my understanding is the FRs will be done as 19s and 20s + 22s as that is the demand for them, 18s if they get enough interest. The ride difference from the 19s to the 20s is un-noticeable, we drove it back to back and couldn't pick the difference. I have the 19s on my EB XR8 and 17s on the EB GHIA and have to say the 19s are WAY more comfortable even if the car sits 2 inches lower. The good tyres and koni's over the pedders in the Ghia probably make the biggest difference.

They are still 3 piece so if they unfortunate happens, parts are interchangeable.

I haven't seen the colour charts yet, I'm assuming they will still be available in the standard range.

Prices aren't cheap, but Simmons never were. They are 'more affordable' than the so called originals but it comes down to the quality of tyre u fit, 19s - 20s with top rubber will see u in the $4-5k zone from what I have seen. Obviously supply and demand and the aussie $ will move things around a bit but they are not the entry level chromies u find on ebay etc.

Thanks Scotty, Canberra is good, hope u are keeping your feet dry up in Qld.

Hope that answers everyone's questions - and no, I'm not an agent

Last edited by ratman; 09-01-2011 at 08:16 PM.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #35
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman
Actually they are a licenced Simmons product - now under new ownership.
They carry the simmons face stamp to the rear and serial coding also, as someone has mentioned, construction has now changed - it would seem for the better, time will tell.
I've had a good look right over them and can honestly say they are impressive, I've had 7 sets of simmons on various cars over the years and these seem to be made just as well, finish is very tidy, they do seem lighter to pickup - maybe that was the weetbix I ate that day but I'll try to get some weights to compare to the originals. The only marked difference I could pick is the frog (scoop) to the back of each fork - possibly where some of the weight saving comes from. Its not huge and I wouldn't call them hollow but similar to a brick, they have been designed with this feature. The nuts to the inner dish did look a little cheap imo but u only see them when the wheels are off. Dishes were better than the originals. Text on the caps was micro-mm different - again thats just my opinion and to the average joe, u wouldn't pick it.

To try answer everyone's questions:

285s - yes, guards have 'massaged', do a search on yloooz and u will see more specs/pix on the car. This particular car started with FR18, then 19s and now the 20s. Many mag features over the years but none as it stands now.

the ebay rims mentioned are quite different, the closest style out there is an american rim that goes by the name of Kinesis.

There is another group in WA that are working on the older smaller styles - B45 / V5s, don't know much about them myself but I understand 16s will be the biggest they go.

ATM my understanding is the FRs will be done as 19s and 20s + 22s as that is the demand for them, 18s if they get enough interest. The ride difference from the 19s to the 20s is un-noticeable, we drove it back to back and couldn't pick the difference. I have the 19s on my EB XR8 and 17s on the EB GHIA and have to say the 19s are WAY more comfortable even if the car sits 2 inches lower. The good tyres and koni's over the pedders in the Ghia probably make the biggest difference.

They are still 3 piece so if they unfortunate happens, parts are interchangeable.

I haven't seen the colour charts yet, I'm assuming they will still be available in the standard range.

Prices aren't cheap, but Simmons never were. They are 'more affordable' than the so called originals but it comes down to the quality of tyre u fit, 19s - 20s with top rubber will see u in the $4-5k zone from what I have seen. Obviously supply and demand and the aussie $ will move things around a bit but they are not the entry level chromies u find on ebay etc.

Thanks Scotty, Canberra is good, hope u are keeping your feet dry up in Qld.

Hope that answers everyone's questions - and no, I'm not an agent
Good onya mate. Cheers for the info n warm regards to the family.. Its been awhile
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #36
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That EL looks stupid. TOOOOO much rim.

What I always like about simmons was because they looked so nice you didnt need to have them in 22"

FR17s still look great in my opinion. (and will always be worth more than those stupid FR22's...) these new ones just make the old ones better if you ask me.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #37
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Would love more details about the WA guys doing the V5 Simmons!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #38
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
That EL looks stupid. TOOOOO much rim.

What I always like about simmons was because they looked so nice you didnt need to have them in 22"

They are only 20's...and you have 19' GTP copies....

I want some FR's! (Or 18'in Drifteks...)

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #39
WAR40T
EL GHIA LIFE

I will be waiting to see the feedback on if they will stay round, once driven on the road for a few months before purchasing a new set of FR20s. Looks good tho. Valve stem looks to be in a better position too, than the FR19s.
thanks for the pics Ratman

HERITAGE GREEN EL GHIA, ROH MODENA WHEELS, /////ALPINE AUDIO, PEDDERS XA COILOVER'S
WAR40T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #40
ratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Would love more details about the WA guys doing the V5 Simmons!
Mate, I'll try dig up the info, from memory it was written up in the Perth st cars mag a while back, available thru Top 10 tyres perhaps???

The 1st set of 22s made are for a Ferrari so we'll see what they look like when done, personally FR22s on the SUV market have been too long coming, have Kahn 22S on my X5, would have considered the Simmons then if they were available.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #41
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
They are only 20's...and you have 19' GTP copies....

I want some FR's! (Or 18'in Drifteks...)

20's aren't too bad.... Thought they looked bigger, perhaps it looks weird coz its stupidly low.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #42
ROLLI
KEEPUP

TUFF! Wouldnt mind some for my car...
Old 10-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #43
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

is that JETXR?
EF Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #44
ratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Hoon
is that JETXR?
No, JETXR is now orange.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #45
xrfalcon
On The Limiter

The old rims on the EL are now on a TC Cortina.
xrfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #46
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ratman tell ur mate to sell it to me :-)
Old 10-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #47
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
20's aren't too bad.... Thought they looked bigger, perhaps it looks weird coz its stupidly low.

They just look big cause its an E-series lol...

Its a shame about the tiny brakes but....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #48
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Would also be interested in info on the smaller 15-16's. Also think 19's would look to big on my XY. 18's max but still big. Have 15" polished B45's to go on.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #49
EBW-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If only they werent 3 times the value of my car, would love a set of charcoal FR19's

phat GUARD ROLLING | 0429 093 302 | facebook
"CHEAPEST GUARD ROLLING IN MELBOURNE"
EBW-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #50
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looking great... !!!
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #51
munkky
turbo mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman
No, JETXR is now orange.
jet xr is forsale on ebay

2008 FG G6E TURBO
AND YES IT HAS A LSD
ORSM F.C.
munkky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #52
66 STANG

Thanks for the info on these awesome looking rims Ratman. Do you know the expected lead time and cost (rims only) for a set of these? I'm considering getting a set if I get a new GS Ute. It will need something to fill out those wide looking back quarters!!
66 STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #53
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I would love a gold set around the 15-16" mark for the LTD. With whitewalls. Gold car + gold rims with the whitewall & black of the tyre between would look great.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #54
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FR's on E-Series, so much win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resizerCAWFKZKF.jpg (45.5 KB, 131 views)
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #55
WAR40T
EL GHIA LIFE

i emailed Sam at tempe last week, FR19 are $1000 each with painted centre, $150 extra for polished. Production is expected to start soon for 20s-22s.

HERITAGE GREEN EL GHIA, ROH MODENA WHEELS, /////ALPINE AUDIO, PEDDERS XA COILOVER'S
WAR40T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #56
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tapeworm

Is that ur XR?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #57
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR40T
i emailed Sam at tempe last week, FR19 are $1000 each with painted centre, $150 extra for polished. Production is expected to start soon for 20s-22s.
20s and 22s are already out...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 AM   #58
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Ratman would you like my bank details? Its just that ive made a mess of my laptop after seeing those pics and id like you to replace it please!!!!!!! lol
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #59
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Tapeworm

Is that ur XR?
just a pic I found, it's not mine.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #60
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR40T
Ouch, considering I was quoted $790 per wheel for the FR19 before Tony shut up shop...
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post