Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #31
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
I think nappa is referring to aftermarket installation of LPG (i.e. duel fuel). Ford developed a dedicated lpg engine some time ago for fleets (2001 or something???) and then with BA started to push it into private sales. The taxis you refer to are generally dedicated LPG cars....purchased like that or converted using ford parts into a 'lpg engine'. This is not the same as aftermarket installs of duel fuel systems, which obviosly use petrol to start.

Whether ford wants to keep LPG sales to themselves (i.e. get the dealer to order the car LPG rather than a petrol and then convert it) or is worried about reliability (there are different parts in the lpg engine/electrics) who knows.
Again this is not entirely correct there are many, many aftermarket LPG duel fuel and dedicated gas installations being done on BA-BF falcons. Our dealer installs the gas system himself for his new and second hand cars. Ford cannot keep up with the demand for LPG cars and many just dont want an out of date antiquated system as is on the current range. There are far better albeit dearer systems on the market. Ford wont put more money into research of the current motor for a newer system because they are bringing a new system and motor from about 2010. If you read some of the threads and posts in the LPG section you will find there are people from all areas inc a number of installers and also taxi fleet owners and none have seen any of the problems Ford encountered during their research. And the only time a problem was found was under extreme conditions which were forced upon the engines being tested. Also the problems were only found with the older antiquated Mixer ring system but not the newer SVI system current at the time. There is now an even better and newer system on the market ( LI Liquid Injection ) which has proven itself overseas for years just now hitting the Australian market.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #32
Nappa
Impressive...

im sure there are systems that have been successful the point im trying to make is that FoMoCo doesnt like it when dealers start doing conversions, or even delivering cars that they have had converted for a customer.

In the past couple of years there have been some issues with customer warranty when i part breaks and neither Ford or the Gas Fitter will cover it.
And its not only Ford, Toyota also frowns upon converting the Aurion 3.5ltr.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #33
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I won't buy a new Falcon, until Ford put a "1st Anniversary of fuel discounts" sticker on the cars. Why should FPV owners get all the cool stuff. ;)
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #34
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Because they pay twice as much as you lol
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #35
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
I won't buy a new Falcon, until Ford put a "1st Anniversary of fuel discounts" sticker on the cars. Why should FPV owners get all the cool stuff. ;)

haha, i like that!!
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post