Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #31
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have seen our petrol taxes wasted for over twenty years as consolidated revenue,i still remember when we were told the new petrol tax was purely for road upgrades,funny thing ,it never happened only a pittance of the original 1 cent a litre levy and now over 50cents a litre has ever been used by the states to upgrade roads,we as a nation will probably never change this but we can pressure our local media and government to start doing something about it that does not involve more revenue raising,just actually keeping their word.
they know divided Hiways keep head on's to a minimum but only in recent years have we seen them doing real extensions in needed ares here in QLD but they have left it so long they have placed them a long way behind other states.
the worst thing is roads that really need upgrades such as River heads Rd here in Hervey Bay have been left for years while the local council and State government play a game of blaming each other and neither do a bloody thing. im sure their is lots of similar rds around this land that fall into the same blame game.
i just wish i could show how bad this road is to all of you and then you would understand after you took into account the dozens of 4wd troopies with between 6 and ten tourists in each along with their camping gear grog and clothing stacked on a roof rack with the tyres down around 15 to 20psi,just driving behind them in town you can see the sway they get up with minor bumps and corners before they hit the 100kmh sections.and all this before they hit the beaches of Frazer Island where we hear the sirens going to the barge landings and the Helicoptorsgoing to and from the hospital every week.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #32
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

John, right thanks for that.

Nicholas - note the observations.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #33
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Keep left , I was in from 86 to 92 Rookies then Tottenham, Richmond, Darwin , Transport Driver, Fair bit of Line haul while at Tottenham !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #34
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Well I’m sure everyone will stop crashing now the Premier is outraged! Re the political side, I don’t think this is a political issue as neither side has proven to be committed to proper road safety and driver training.

I think driver training should start in primary school with “road sense” training, followed by bike riding, followed by road rules/laws introduction, emergency procedures etc. None of this involves driving but it is important to get in early with the right attitude and knowledge of the basics. Other aspects of education could help – eg science class to teach how a car works & what happens when things go wrong and why. Now of course I’m not saying this has to be part of every school day, but a few things each year will build up so that when learning how to operate a car begins the background will already be there. Learner drivers should be fully able to operate a car before they are let onto public roads supervised only by a parent of unknown/questionable driving ability. There could be a structured programme of experiences to be gained, eg sort out traffic experience in the dry before progressing to wet weather. Just a quick list of some thoughts, it's a complex area and there is no simple sound-grab-friendly answer.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #35
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation

We could follow Saudi Arabia etc and take women of the roads. That would reduce traffic by around 50%. Making it safer for everyone. out:
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #36
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The results ARE:-

Increased speeding fines.
Introduction of fixed cameras.
Lots of other things that increase government income.

NO REDUCTION IN ROAD DEATHS
Sounds just like Victoria, no real attempt to save lives just make money.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #37
myxr6
Banned

If they want too reduce the road toll , bring back compulsory rego checks and stop complaining how much it costs to run.Time to get some of those POS off the roads.
Lower the tax on parts like tyres exhaust etc so people will buy them not just run around till the steel shows through.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #38
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxr6
If they want too reduce the road toll , bring back compulsory rego checks and stop complaining how much it costs to run.Time to get some of those POS off the roads.
Lower the tax on parts like tyres exhaust etc so people will buy them not just run around till the steel shows through.
I dont think that roadworthiness or registration (lack of) is the biggest contributor to most accidents, its the human factor and always will be.

Attitude and training are the biggest parts to play in making a differnece IMO.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 12:38 AM   #39
myxr6
Banned

I dont think that roadworthiness or registration (lack of) is the biggest contributor to most accidents, its the human factor and always will be.

This is true , but is has been shown that a lot of accidents have mechanical failure as a contributing factor.Look at some of the cars bouncing all over the road because the shocks are gone.I realise its the nut behind the wheel that is a problem , but so is the state of the car & the state of the roads.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post