Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #31
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Just bought myself an au3

Its funny how you mentioned the steering is no better or worse than your BA or VT. The steering on my old AU2 XR8 ute was razor sharp & very precise, but the steering on my AU3 XR8 sedan seemed average by comparison, probably no better than my BA GTP.

Did they dumb the steering down on the series 3 AU's?

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #32
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

my AU2 ghia steering is no different from my old AU3 ghia steering - owned them both at the same time at one point.. In fact the AU3 was probably sharper, but it had 100,000 and my AU2 had at the time 260,000
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #33
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
It just so happens that my AU is sweet despite the km, probably one of the best condition AU's going around and well above the expected condition for a car of these km. How many km have you now racked up on your AU? whats the condition like?

Read my review comments below, ive been very fair. I own all three cars (just sold the VT V6) so I have absolutely no reason to be lop sided. Sure Ive also read all sorts of things about AU driving characteristics but what cars have these people compared them with? The AU drives well, very well but relative to what? I wouldnt say any better than my old VT, not worse but not really better either. Thats not a bad thing either, both are great!
Mine is sitting at 63,000 klm's hulkie and drives like it was only on 63 klm's .

To me all the BA's I have driven the 1'st thing you notice over the AU is the heavy nose, and this to me made the steering not feel as sharp nor tight, and not to mention the increase of weight all over the vehicle which to me just didn't seem to gel right, it was just something that stood out and was very noticeable in comparison.

I also drove my mates VTII SS that he bought brand new when I bought mine and well what can I say, yeah it was fast after it got over it's initial laziness off the line that the 1'st series LS1 were known for (in stock form) but as a driver's vehicle, no comparison, it was typical FE2 suspension, not a par on the AU.

But that's my opinion.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #34
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

My fg has a definite noticeable heavier nose than my AU but it turns a LOT sharper and quicker when needed
Old 29-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #35
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah, driven a couple of VTs, they aren't bad, the first tenth of the throttle is disproportinately aggressive, combined with the low geared first (all other gears are identical to the AU from memory) gives you the impression you're a hero off the lights, but is all a ruse, and it fools a lot of people. That combined with the roughness of the front strut suspension as opposed to the AU's racecar-like double A-arms really make the VT feel rough and unrefined, but I don't mind a bit of mongrel in a car.

For me it's other things about the commodores that let me down. That bloody automatic. So rough. To quote The-ShowStoPPa
Quote:
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
I want to like the commodore. I want to see it how most australians see it. But I just can't.

You remember the old Ford slogan "Have you driven a Ford lately?"
I seriously believe that the people who own commodores do so simply because they have never properly driven a good Falcon.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #36
HULK_I6T
Banned

I've timed the ol VT before I sold it. 0-100km/h in 8.4 seconds. I have multiple runs on video. The VT is chipped and k&n panel filter only. Auto ecotec v6 stock exhaust.

I'll test the AU over the coming days. Mods are cat back, xr6t snorkel, ss inductions air deflector and k&n panel filter. Interested to see how it goes against my ol VT V6. If I can get the au away with a decent start should be slightly faster.

My BA i6 does it in mid to high 6s.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #37
nstg8a

One thing I hate about vt's is the doors, when you open one to climb in they just feel thin, and flimsy, especially around the windows. Its a first impression that's stuck with every vt era commodore I've been in.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 02:54 AM   #38
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

It looks like a very clean example and in Barossa too.

But, AU3 with orange side indicators? There has to be a story behind that doesn't there? Hopefully not a story that also explains the underwhelming steering...

Switching to clear indicators will lift the car quite a bit. Lowering and satin black headlight bezels would do even more. Then I may agree that you are helping to keep AU's cool to drive ;)

FYI - http://web.archive.org/web/200112140...con/Falcon.asp
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE

Last edited by Silver'; 30-01-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #39
HULK_I6T
Banned

Where do you get the satin black headlight bezels from?
Old 30-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #40
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

You dismantle the lights and paint them yourself.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ing+headlights
Old 30-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #41
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
One thing I hate about vt's is the doors, when you open one to climb in they just feel thin, and flimsy, especially around the windows. Its a first impression that's stuck with every vt era commodore I've been in.
I've also always wondered why the B pillar in VT's is so far forward? It often seems like the driver has his head in the back of the car!
Old 30-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #42
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
You dismantle the lights and paint them yourself.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ing+headlights
and here as well
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...articleid=1250
Clear side indicators all the way
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #43
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi all, we've got both au 6 & vt 6, ones a little bit of a boy racer the other a smooth refined drive. Depends on what kind of drive experience you want i guess, for me a car is not just about how it goes or looks. Take your pick but when you go over both cars you soon realise which car has more substance & refinement as a package but its pretty close.

When it comes to low series 6 cylinders, the stock intech au 6 was up to 0.9 sec quicker to 100 when new, but for me thats not what my au is about. What i really like about my au is ease of ownership, low running costs & parts availability, bulletproof reliability & for the home mechanic, everything is easily accessable. The way it drives & goes for a stocker is ample for me but the above considerations are more important to me now for a daily driver.

Nothing wrong with the vt at all & in fact i like its more compact feel (lower seat height?), dash layout, stock brakes, 1st gear acceleration & steering wheel. Just dont ask me to fix your vt for ya, i cant stand that sweet smell that sometimes come through the vents.... or that rear main seal setup or rear tyre camber bs

ps- good buy f6 benito, hope it fulfills your expectations

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #44
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

I wouldn't recommend resealing with silastic as the above excellent guides recommend. Heat gun is my weapon of choice as my oven is too small. Buy a butyl rubber roll to reseal if you aren't comfortable relying on the original butyl rubber resealing ok when reassembled.
I personally like a fully painted bezel best.👍
TE2 #116
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #45
HULK_I6T
Banned

well not sure if i can be stuffed. I might just buy new lights done already.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #46
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Yeah, I hear ya! It's a fiddly job and quite daunting the first time.
Maybe I should put together a set and see if they sell on eBay. Who knows, cold be the start of my business empire eh?
TE2 #116
Old 30-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #47
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT2TE50 View Post

But, AU3 with orange side indicators? There has to be a story behind that doesn't there? Hopefully not a story that also explains the underwhelming steering...
Strangely the clear indicators were in the boot along with a few other parts that he has. Seems the previous owner thought the red indicators blended in better with the deep red colour?, sort of like a tinted version I suppose. Ill be changing them back over the weekend to the clear.

Also there is no underwhelming steering? The car steers very well, I just said no better than a VT commodore or BA falcon. I do think the AU drives nice, steers very well, but I would question whether many AU owners have actually driven too many other cars to compare? If they dont know any better, well of course they are the best steering car. They are nice no doubt but just not leaps and bounds ahead like many think.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #48
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

AU owners like the steering in their cars for weighting vs accuracy. I've driven MANY cars and have owned a few too and the best steerer i've had is my FG.
Old 30-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #49
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Quote:
I like the AU series 3 forte interior better than the upmarket au models like the ghia.
are you for real i know which one i prefer

au forte

au ghia

BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #50
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

I see Hulk's point re: interiors. The series 3 falcon spec has appeal. I prefer Fairmont spec but without the wood grain, as per T-series. Best of both worlds there.
TE2 #116
3 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #51
BlueBear
Shockwave

Love the woodgrain, Probably the last time Ford Australia went all out on differentiating the Fairmont and Ghia's

However i reckon the base model AU seat are the worst Ford ever made.

Still value for money - can't go past an AU of any sort.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #52
HULK_I6T
Banned

Strangely I rate the au stereo even in the forte better than the vt and also the ba premium sound. It's only with upgraded speakers does the ba premium sound nudge ahead.

I used to own a e series LTD and that stereo with upgraded speakers was awesome

For a long time Holden in the commodore offered a really poor quality stereo system, it seems ba and fg have gone backwards in stereo quality from e series luxury models or the AU
Old 30-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #53
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Au premium was the best premium made, ba and onward is crap. But I upgraded the prestige audio (coax in rear doors, splits in front) in my fg to JL speakers and it SMOKES any premo I've had, without adding a sub.
Old 30-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #54
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
Au premium was the best premium made, ba and onward is crap. But I upgraded the prestige audio (coax in rear doors, splits in front) in my fg to JL speakers and it SMOKES any premo I've had, without adding a sub.
Yep, have had the chance to sample both AUS2 premo v BA premo and the AU smashed it hands down...........A good mate went from AUXR8 S2 to BAXR8 S1 and was very disappointed the newer sound system couldn't compere to the older. (both premium versions)
With 3.9 Gears:.......12.40@112.5mph, still trying!
Tune by XFT
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #55
HULK_I6T
Banned

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/121107025346?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Is this a good value mod for an AU?? Lol can you believe it?
Old 30-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #56
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/121107025346?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Is this a good value mod for an AU?? Lol can you believe it?
Only if you get the black ones and they are adr compliant

I reckon the s2 onward stock tail lights are fine and i would go for the painted head light bezel mod first. Its a bit fiddly but not so hard to do.
Ive done it on a galaxy blue s1 forte (blue bezels) and my fairlane (black bezels).

Give it a go, you will like the end result.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.

Last edited by mif73; 30-01-2014 at 11:14 PM.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #57
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif73 View Post
Only if you get the black ones and they are adr compliant

I reckon the s2 onward stock tail lights are fine and i would go for the painted head light bezel mod first. Its a bit fiddly but not so hard to do.
Ive done it on a galaxy blue s1 forte (blue bezels) and my fairlane (black bezels).

Give it a go, you will like the end result.
That's what most AU's are worth.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 12:36 AM   #58
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
That's what most AU's are worth.
Doh!
I clicked the first time and just saw the pic.

I just clicked again and noticed the price

For that price i want solid rocket boosters hidden in those tail lights, or a free car thrown in!
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #59
HULK_I6T
Banned

Test results are in... so is a AU i6 (series3) quicker than a VT ecotec v6 (series 2)?????

VT acclaim ecotec V6 0-60 = 3.8 secs, 0-100 = 8.4 secs

mods, 98 octane performance chip, bmc panel filter, intake snorkel mod, 16 inch wheels.

AU forte series 3, 0-60 = 3.8 secs, 0-100 = 7.7secs

Mods, 2.5 inch catback, k&n panel, xr6t upper snorkel, ss inductions metal air deflector. 17 inch wheels.

i think the mods are about fair, one has catback the other tune. Its no doubt the au is the quicker car.

Timed on exact same piece of road. Runs video taped then timed when rerun.

The au feels like it doesnt take off as hard but by about 40-50km/h starts really pulling and matches the VT to 60. But from there the au keeps in its torque zone right through to 100 where the VT feels like it drops off its peak torque just as it changes up to 2nd at about 70km/h and loses a bit of time there before it gets back in its power zone on its way to 100.

AU i6 definately quicker than VT ecotec v6
Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #60
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
I like the simple look of the interior. The Ghia models introduce that high mounted climate control and big woodgrain thing. They tried to be a bit too cute in my opinion on the upper spec models.
I agree.
I don't like the electronic whizzbang stuff in the Ghia, I much prefer the old school manual 3 dial setup in the povo AU's.

B series climate thingo is even worse, an abomination IMO.

All the electronic display stuff is just more complicated than it needs to be.

As for woodgrain, can take it or leave it...
2 users like this post: