Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #31
barbarian
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Ford have said before that the Mustang has been isolated from the rest of the 'One Ford' deal and will remain a stand-alone project for...however long. I think the term they have used is 'silo'ed'

The issue with having a common platform for the Falcon and Mustang is that the 4 door sedan platform will not be well suited to a fastback style coupe, or vice versa. Rear passenger headroom is an issue with the new Camaro for example because of the car's Zeta sedan origins. It's to do with the floorpan arrangement and the layout of the rear portions of the chassis rails and rear suspension/diff compartments.

ford have come out and said that the "D car is important to them" globally. However Falcon is an E car, not a D car, and I find that little slip up to be a concern...
Not if you engineer it so well that it works perfectly in both platforms coupe and sedan.

Nissan has been using this example since the 80's for its Skylines.
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian
Yes please.. bring it on

Now we just need someone to photoshop this front end onto a territory.... and then it would be XMAS for me
Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #33
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is getting me angry again. Good to hear that Ford does not have the Falcon in its telescopic sights as yet tho.
But to hear of a front wheel drive Falcon really kills the whole Falcon cultural factor.
ALTHOUGH as pointed out on Fifth Gear last night - The transmission of a rear wheel drive car (such as the BMW they were test driving) takes up A LOT of room in the rear floor panel.
If they are going to make the Falcon a FWD and a V6 then change the name..its not a Falcon.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #34
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian
Not if you engineer it so well that it works perfectly in both platforms coupe and sedan.

Nissan has been using this example since the 80's for its Skylines.
All well and good for a low volume niche product like a Skyline in 1980's dollars, but that sort of investment nowadays will cost hundreds of millions of dollars, which I doubt Ford will spend on what will still be a niche product that will still take years to amortise the investment on design, R&D and tooling.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #35
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a number of people both here and on BlueOvalNews forums that have stated GRWD is *NOT* dead and is *actively* being worked on. How true this is is anyone's guess, however if it is true, one can only hope Falcon is included in the plans...

I still think there's more going on behind the scenes re using Falc as basis for GRWD than is being let on, but only time will tell...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #36
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I will boldly state now that we will know the answer to this burning question by April, May, or June. At least we won't have to wait another 2 years to find out.

This is if my suspicions are correct. Yes, they include nuke codes, so I can't elaborate much yet. I at least wanted to get what I SUSPECT to be the time frame out there. Not all will be known then, but the direction Ford is taking will be.

This is my prediction.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #37
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
There are a number of people both here and on BlueOvalNews forums that have stated GRWD is *NOT* dead and is *actively* being worked on. How true this is is anyone's guess, however if it is true, one can only hope Falcon is included in the plans...

I still think there's more going on behind the scenes re using Falc as basis for GRWD than is being let on, but only time will tell...
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I will boldly state now that we will know the answer to this burning question by April, May, or June. At least we won't have to wait another 2 years to find out.

This is if my suspicions are correct. Yes, they include nuke codes, so I can't elaborate much yet. I at least wanted to get what I SUSPECT to be the time frame out there. Not all will be known then, but the direction Ford is taking will be.

This is my prediction.

Steve
I'm holding my breath....... Hope you're right Steve.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #38
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Ford needs to bring back the Mercury Cougar. This would be a good image car for the Mercury brand. Build it on the Mustang platform, share the engines, but give it its own identity. Perhaps a modern Lincoln MK....... coupe on the same platform too.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #39
johnno3

Quote "The issue with having a common platform for the Falcon and Mustang is that the 4 door sedan platform will not be well suited to a fastback style coupe, or vice versa. Rear passenger headroom is an issue with the new Camaro for example because of the car's Zeta sedan origins".

While this may be true, this issue has in no way dampened enthusiasm for the new Camaro, which, I believe, is selling well. The reviews I've read on the Camaro all say it far out handles the competition. All this out of a RWD sedan platform, allbeit modified.

I believe Ford U.S. has had fantastic RWD underpinnings for the Mustang, Crown Vic etc right under its nose for years (AU to FG) & for some reason Ford U.S. still can't see the woods for the trees. Ford Australia has a clear lead in RWD platform developement compared to its local competition (as used in the Camaro) so why re-invent the wheel? A Shelby GT500 with FG GT steering & suspension would be kick-a$$ & smoke the competition IMO
johnno3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #40
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno3
Quote The reviews I've read on the Camaro all say it far out handles the competition. All this out of a RWD sedan platform, allbeit modified.
All the reviews I have seen say te opposite- maybe its an American thing, but it seems the motoring Journo's over there prefer the 'live axle' set up of the Mustang for handling though they do note that the ride becomes unsettled on rougher road more easily than the Camaro.

That aside, there's no reason why Ford USA & Aus. can't at least share major components between Mustang and Falcon - even a short wheel base/long wheel base arrangement?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #41
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Rubbish article, not to be taken seriously.

Quote:
While this may be true, this issue has in no way dampened enthusiasm for the new Camaro, which, I believe, is selling well.
It has outsold Mustang 6 months straight. They need those new motors quick smart.

It does handle better at the limit over rough roads, just like an irs equipped car should.

Anyway, GRWD is far from dead. Ford's stance on this is high priority, and as soon as they start making a profit, which is earlier than first expected, it'll be going ahead.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #42
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I think Ford needs to bring back the Mercury Cougar. This would be a good image car for the Mercury brand. Build it on the Mustang platform, share the engines, but give it its own identity. Perhaps a modern Lincoln MK....... coupe on the same platform too.
I agree. It would be a good image booster for Mercury too, as you said. Yes, it also would need it's own identity, and if Ford were to do it it would have it's own identity as they have said that there would no longer be similar appearing cars between makes anymore, like the Ford Crown Vic/Mercury Marquis.

I guess the only question would be do you model it after the 1960's Cougar (pony car) or the larger, later models that were successful?

The latest incarnation that was the Euro based model I feel was left to die on the vine. It never had a real exciting performance version even though it was very swoopy and looked sharp.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 AM   #43
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Quote "The issue with having a common platform for the Falcon and Mustang is that the 4 door sedan platform will not be well suited to a fastback style coupe, or vice versa. Rear passenger headroom is an issue with the new Camaro for example because of the car's Zeta sedan origins".

While this may be true, this issue has in no way dampened enthusiasm for the new Camaro, which, I believe, is selling well. The reviews I've read on the Camaro all say it far out handles the competition. All this out of a RWD sedan platform, allbeit modified.

I believe Ford U.S. has had fantastic RWD underpinnings for the Mustang, Crown Vic etc right under its nose for years (AU to FG) & for some reason Ford U.S. still can't see the woods for the trees. Ford Australia has a clear lead in RWD platform developement compared to its local competition (as used in the Camaro) so why re-invent the wheel? A Shelby GT500 with FG GT steering & suspension would be kick-a$$ & smoke the competition IMO

It is true that the Camaro has outsold the Mustang since the introduction of the Camaro in April, but the sentiment is that this is because the great Camaro following has been without ANY Camaro for soooo long. All these people finally have a pretty good car to go out and get now, and they are doing it.

We will see over a year and a half how sales are going then. I think that will be the measuring stick.

I believe Ford has "got it" in regards to Australia's RWD prowess. I believe we will see the evidence of that in the time frame I mentioned earlier.

Back during the first year of Ford's 2005 style Mustang there was a lot of talk about the solid rear axle instead of IRS. One Ford exec., when posed with the question as to whether or not it was a good idea to hamper the Mustang with old technology stated "Well, we seem to have no problem winning races with that rear axle." He was making a reference to Mustang's dominance in a sanctioned road course race circuit where the Mustang was usually winning first place, as well as second and third.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #44
boris

The threat of FWD bothers me and I pointed out on another thread that while I like the styling of the FG, I thought that it needs to start aligning itself with Mustang so that the Americans view it as a four door Mustang rather than a mondeo/taurus clone.
The idea of a flexible platform that can make swb, mwb and lwb vehicles on, would be well worth the investment.
boris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #45
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

This is my prediction.

Steve
Love your work, Steve. Thanks.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #46
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Love your work, Steve. Thanks.
imugli, I am not connected enough to "know", and even then I couldn't say, but I am in tune with Ford in the US and I know more about FOA than most Americans due to my connection with my car, my personal interest in Australia, and the information I have available to me as an employee at Ford. I also watch most anything I can find about FOA and keep up on what key execs are doing in the company in Dearborn.

However, one thing I have learned is that if you apply logic to what Ford is doing in order to predict what they will do next you will usually not be succesful. There are usually too many global considerations to know in order to make a correct prediction. These are things that are on such a scale and part of a global plan that most anyone not directly involved cannot fathom without complete plans laid out for them.

Then again.....

I feel enough of the pieces of the puzzle have been dropped for me to assemble to be able to tell what the picture will be when the puzzle is complete. A number of people have divulged bits that, heard separately, mean very little, but when one has heard all of these bits, and understands how they go together, it gives a pretty good hint at direction.

The only thing I am hoping to get out of all this is knowing what is going to happen with the GRWD platform while Ford is keeping mum about it. I am also hoping to be able to predict the future of the plant I work in. A man needs to be able to make informed decisions when providing for his family.

I also know there are many here whom are very interested in this, and others that have a vested interest in this and would like to know as well.

I am keeping vague about this because there are nuke codes invlolved, and some of them are the same reasons that Ford is keeping quiet about it as well.

I will add to my prediction that the Falcon will stay RWD, so no worries there. Yeah, easy for me to say....

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #47
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
I will add to my prediction that the Falcon will stay RWD, so no worries there. Yeah, easy for me to say....Steve
Steve, as always thanks for the insight.

I do believe that Mullaly, Kuzak, Burela and Fields know that the Falcon platform is a terrific platform that could serve the Ford world well.

RWD is a premium type of platform when you talk sedans, coupes, wagons. Even at 10% of the market, that could still be a very profitable market.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #48
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
imugli, I am not connected enough to "know", and even then I couldn't say, but I am in tune with Ford in the US and I know more about FOA than most Americans due to my connection with my car, my personal interest in Australia, and the information I have available to me as an employee at Ford. I also watch most anything I can find about FOA and keep up on what key execs are doing in the company in Dearborn.

However, one thing I have learned is that if you apply logic to what Ford is doing in order to predict what they will do next you will usually not be succesful. There are usually too many global considerations to know in order to make a correct prediction. These are things that are on such a scale and part of a global plan that most anyone not directly involved cannot fathom without complete plans laid out for them.

Then again.....

I feel enough of the pieces of the puzzle have been dropped for me to assemble to be able to tell what the picture will be when the puzzle is complete. A number of people have divulged bits that, heard separately, mean very little, but when one has heard all of these bits, and understands how they go together, it gives a pretty good hint at direction.

The only thing I am hoping to get out of all this is knowing what is going to happen with the GRWD platform while Ford is keeping mum about it. I am also hoping to be able to predict the future of the plant I work in. A man needs to be able to make informed decisions when providing for his family.

I also know there are many here whom are very interested in this, and others that have a vested interest in this and would like to know as well.

I am keeping vague about this because there are nuke codes invlolved, and some of them are the same reasons that Ford is keeping quiet about it as well.

I will add to my prediction that the Falcon will stay RWD, so no worries there. Yeah, easy for me to say....

Steve
Good points made as usual Steve.

I know you don't want to give to much away, but i wonder if you could add any more to my musings on the issue. For me, there are three points/questions, and some are easy to answer, some not.

1. Will Ford needs/want/build RWD cars (D-E size sedan/wagon/coupe) in the future? With mustang having such an important place, and with Falcon in the same boat, you'd think yes. Moreover, the 'advantage' of FWD/AWD is largely null and void for the large or 'very large' sedans. Fuel economy is not that affected since they are heavy buggers anyway and have big engines, space is not really an issue, most are performance models that would favour RWD (FPV/Mustang etc.). In addition, there is a small but loyal global market and it is generally premium purchases (assuming the us cop cars/service cars go FWD/AWD taurus). Throw in lincoln/mercury that would use limo sized RWD cars (and you can build monoque SUVs off the architecture too) so YES, FORD WILL STILL NEED RWD.

2. Will RWD go to one platform? While Mustang is 'isolated' ford is all about ONE FORD, so why not combine engineering/some parts? People need to understand that modern car platforms are very flexible and its really as much about using common tech (suspension etc.) and 'moving it around' on a base design to work for your car. Some of the platforms can have large variations in wheelbase/track etc. I think in the life of the next falcon/mustang some sort of ONE FORD rationalisation will happen so YES, RWD will be GRWD eventually.

3. Will Ford Aus be part of GRWD? Design input and/or leader? This seems pretty obvious. If GRWD happens Ford itself has admitted Ford Aus would be at least partially involved. Why wouldnt you? I think in the end Dearbon may lead it but Ford Aus would amost certainly be heavilly involved esp RE suspension/chassis tuning etc. And of course 'Falconisation' of GRWD would happen here. So YES, Ford Aus WILL work on GRWD.

So, in summary, GRWD will happen eventually and Falcon, asuming it survives beyond the next model (quite likely) WILL BE RWD. This FWD falcon rubbish is a total bunch of crock if for no other reason then the only way Falcon will not be a RWD is if there is no Falcon at all. Period.

This is just my view of it.....happy to accept constructive criticism.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 04:08 AM   #49
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I'll do what I can.

ANY comments in this post are my own conclusions, based on things I know that are mostly made public already.

Ford wants to build and sell RWD cars. It is part of having a product for everyone. To not have a product for everyone leaves money on the table, and with the "new" car industry that we have today no company can afford to leave any money unpursued (new word?). Cars are being sold in lower volumes in each car segment (except maybe the C segment), therefore you need to have cars in EVERY segment in order to maximize profits.

Ford sold 134,626 Mustangs in 2007 and still 91,251 in 2008 with high gas prices and the economy tanking. When the world is not in unique turmoil the Mustang sells well enough, as well as being an image maker for Ford, to warrant it being held separate from a global platform for RWD. I could be wrong though depending on how far One Ford really goes. You may see the Mustang being exported in the future to shore up even more sales, just my guess. I don't know why Ford wouldn't combine "some" parts though with the GRWD platform to save on costs.

Speaking of exports, a "Euro vehicle" (I know which one) is going to be built in the US with 60,000 units slated for export to Europe. How can this be??? Due to all the concessions the UAW has agreed to, and with the weakening US dollar, labor in Germany is $10 USD higher than in the US, so I am hearing.

Will FOA be part of GRWD? My guess is yes. My concern is, will you like the part it plays?

Alan Mulally likes the Falcon a lot. You already know that a Falcon is in Dearborn, at least one. It's been there quite a while now.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #50
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default 'Ford AU' V 'One Ford'

The constant speculation on a FWD Falcon makes you wonder how serious Ford is about manufacturing vehicles in Australia long term (after all, they’ve already pulled the pin on Focus production).

Ford merging Falcon with a global FWD large car platform can only been seen as a last resort, caused by an inability to make a suitable profit from a locally designed vehicle. The ‘One Ford’ policy allows for stand alone vehicle to be produced (i.e. Mustang / F-Series) where justified. Falcon doesn’t fit into this category for some reason, and although it clearly a brilliant product, no Ford management seems to be willing to commit to its future. In fact, production cycles are being extended and essential development delayed or cancelled all together (i.e. Territory Diesel-Delayed, V6 Falcon-Cancelled). Can you imagine Fords monthly sales without locally designed and manufactured vehicles? Last month of the 8,868 vehicles Ford sold 60% (5,352) were local, and 40% (3,516) imported based on global platforms. To put this in perspective Toyota sold 3,309 corollas for the month. While sales don’t equal profitability, it makes you wonder what they see for the future.

Let us hope they’ll just under promise and over deliver.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #51
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

The Taurus was originally a mid-sized car. There is already talk about basing the next gen Taurus on the Mondeo/Fusion platform when those two vehicles are combined on chassis design.

There are a lot of people that have complained about the size of the Taurus. Though it is a great car, it is not what Taurus has been since it's inception; a mid-sized family car. The present Taurus alienates all those that bought Taurus after Taurus BECAUSE it was mid-sized. Imagine if the Falcon became an SUV? A lot of people would be alienated that have bought Falcons after Falcons because of what the car was.

If the Falcon was built on a GRWD platform that would help reduce the cost of building it in Australia as many parts would cost less as they are produced in larger volumes. For illustration purposes, if the wiring harnesses are made in the Phillipines then the number of harnesses needed for building the GRWD car in Australia and the US would be increased and a volume discount applied. Imagine quadrupling the number of parts needed.....and the resultant cost per unit reduction.

In my opinion a GRWD platform based on the Falcon can only benefit FOA with reduced cost per unit, thereby making the Falcon range more profitable.

Remember, labor is only about 6 - 10% of the cost of a vehicle, at least in the US, and the other 90% is mostly parts, plus overhead.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #52
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
In my opinion a GRWD platform based on the Falcon can only benefit FOA with reduced cost per unit, thereby making the Falcon range more profitable.
This is a no brainer Steve, but Ford have already said the Mustang is it's own model and will remain that way (it doesn't even carry a Ford badge). The Crown Victoria has been given its marching orders, and Ford in their wisdom believe it can be replaced by a AWD Taurus (in police applications). I'm finding it hard to find a suitable mate for the Falcon.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #53
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Whats worse is that as far as I know that there are zero plans in the pipe line. Unless something drastically changes in the next 5 or so months then its not looking good.

The Falcon is a very competitive car with the budget it has now, can you imagine how good it would be once a GWRD budget was thrown at it!

Its all seems like a no brainer and I bet at the end of the day politics will ruin any logical choice. Wish I could be more positive about it by as each model goes by FoA seem to pick up more R&D work and less manufacturing.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #54
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the current mob in charge of Ford AU has:

cancelled local Focus
cancelled new V6
cancelled any LHD engineering
not pursued any new exports
cancelling the wagon

Are they doing anything to secure local manufacturing?
And yet a lot of you guys are angry at Goauto for actually asking some very valid questions on the Falcons future, perhaps your indignation should be better directed at Ford AU.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #55
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Well the current mob in charge of Ford AU has:

cancelled local Focus
cancelled new V6
cancelled any LHD engineering
not pursued any new exports
cancelling the wagon

Are they doing anything to secure local manufacturing?
And yet a lot of you guys are angry at Goauto for actually asking some very valid questions on the Falcons future, perhaps your indignation should be better directed at Ford AU.
Local Focus production died due to cost, V6 getting canned saved 600 jobs in the I6 production (also the V6 has install problems), LHD engineering program was cancelled by the man who killed the diesel terri, tried killing the wagon, brought in the V6 and focus. Instead of the focus they will bring in the ecoboost I4, which will get green car funding and has been prototyped and would be easier in the manufacturing plant.

As for exports, they cant build enough models now so they have to get local supply right, also the US is the main problem with Ford Aus trying to send content O/S.

GoAuto is just doing its (and every other media outlets) regular have a stab at the Falcon article and that it is either doomed (but 20 years of these articles obviously getting a tad boring) so now their new one is the Falcon will go FWD.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #56
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
The thing that's got me worried is the major facelift for Territory as opposed to top hat redesign. You can see the end of both model cycles running to 2015. Neither can continue alone, and Ford has not committed to either beyond that date.

It'll also be interesting to see how Ford pitches the single cab T6 Ranger. Being designed in Australia it'll be easier to market than a Mazda derived import. If Ford starts selling it to traditional Falcon Ute customers you'll see they are already planning for the future.

I'm not opposed to global designs; I just can’t see any suitable replacements for what we stand to lose in Australia (that won’t stop Ford from telling us what we want, as is happening with the Falcon Wagon currently).
Old 07-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #57
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Local Focus production died due to cost, V6 getting canned saved 600 jobs in the I6 production (also the V6 has install problems), LHD engineering program was cancelled by the man who killed the diesel terri, tried killing the wagon, brought in the V6 and focus. Instead of the focus they will bring in the ecoboost I4, which will get green car funding and has been prototyped and would be easier in the manufacturing plant.

As for exports, they cant build enough models now so they have to get local supply right, also the US is the main problem with Ford Aus trying to send content O/S.

GoAuto is just doing its (and every other media outlets) regular have a stab at the Falcon article and that it is either doomed (but 20 years of these articles obviously getting a tad boring) so now their new one is the Falcon will go FWD.

I am very cynical about the I4T, Ford themselves said it will be a premium option and it also hasnt even been spotted yet in a local Ford. I suspect the I4T was used to deflect the fact Focus was being cancelled and to also get some Green Car funding. I dont see it being a high volume engine for the Falcon rather it will be an option on the middle and high grade Falcons, I see eGas as continuing its role on winning over fleets.

Im glad that the I6 is staying but I dont see how that adheres to the global One Ford program, which is a big worry.

The Ford plant isnt at capacity, they have just reduced the line rate to reflect the low sales. Im sure they would kill to get 20,000 orders for the midle east or 10,000 pa for Europe, the fact its not being talked about is a big worry. Who knows maybe they are seeing the new I4T as a way of getting exports.

Also Goauto is very supportive of local manufacturers (John Mellor is president of FCAI). Goauto are just writing about what Ford themselves have said in relation to future Falcons possible move to FWD/AWD.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I am very cynical about the I4T, Ford themselves said it will be a premium option and it also hasnt even been spotted yet in a local Ford. I suspect the I4T was used to deflect the fact Focus was being cancelled and to also get some Green Car funding. I dont see it being a high volume engine for the Falcon rather it will be an option on the middle and high grade Falcons, I see eGas as continuing its role on winning over fleets.

Im glad that the I6 is staying but I dont see how that adheres to the global One Ford program, which is a big worry.

The Ford plant isnt at capacity, they have just reduced the line rate to reflect the low sales. Im sure they would kill to get 20,000 orders for the midle east or 10,000 pa for Europe, the fact its not being talked about is a big worry. Who knows maybe they are seeing the new I4T as a way of getting exports.

Also Goauto is very supportive of local manufacturers (John Mellor is president of FCAI). Goauto are just writing about what Ford themselves have said in relation to future Falcons possible move to FWD/AWD.

I4 in a Falcon was mentioned before an announcement was ever made. Ford kept their mouth shut to get Green car funding. They have one's running around. I am happy the I6 survived, but if a V6 was to be used to keep it the Falcon we have now then I can deal with that. The I6 can be kept going with smaller R&D costs in terms of emissions.

The line was reduced twice in 06 (seeing I was apart of this I know). The problem is to take the risk to increase the line rate or delete a model to make up for the shortfall. Also seeing as our dollar is 93us cents there wouldn't really be any profit for exporting cars (you would know all deals are done in US dollars) as Holden is finding with their exports unless the customer is going to pay a big premium like what happens with Falcons/Commodores in NZ.

GoAuto isn't to bad, there are much worse publications out there. But if people take these articles as some form of gospel then they are easily led. Until Ford makes an proper press release I take it with a grain of salt. Plans change throughout a vehicles lifecycle so what is decided now doesn't mean it'll be that way one year from now.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #59
Chopped
as in chopped

It's only a matter of time before Commodore and Falcon will be ggggoooorrrrnnnn.

Most people don't give a rat's that it's FWD or RWD or AWD / look at what the majority of private buyers are actually buying (they ain't RWD or big).
The Aurion is a new fleet princess (heaps of cop cars, taxis) and it's FWD.

Die hard Aussie Bogans only buy so many, which ain't enough.

Very non-committal BS by Ford man.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #60
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

I'm not going to say its happening but if you put a two liter engine in a Falcon then it quite sell able to the UK as there insurance brackets are sky high once you go over the two liter mark from what I heard. Plus it RHD country already, who knows whats going on a Ford at the moment, but time will tell.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post