Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
I'm guilty, i know... I replied to Flappists' post, (I posed the question though, so I claim some licence.)
Would like to keep it to the question,guys. There is enough banter back and forth on other threads, and enough agreeing /disagreeing with other peoples opinions.
Just like to see peoples personal opinion on what makes one or the other.
HOON is a derogative and divisive term used by social engineers and anti car lobbyists to create a perception of superiority and an artificial underclass.

A HOON is someone who is not you, does not do what you do and is an inferior person to you as they are politically incorrect.

The mere fact that this question is asked here and many have replied shows just how effectively we have been divided and suborned.

It is only the HOONs they are against, not us.

Well sunshine, the Scruby's and wowsers of the world are not discriminatory. The hate ALL of us equally and want ALL of us restricted and controlled and our vehicles banned outright.

As they have done since the time of Sun Tsu, if your enemy is too powerful send spies to divide and cause internal conflict thereby using your enemy's power on itself.

We are all so afraid of HOONs, they crash constantly killing people randomly. It must be true it is on TV.
The truth is the the majority of fatal crashes are caused by inattention which is something from which car enthusiasts seldom suffer. We love our cars and driving and can usually spot the radar or potential accident long before it can effect us.
Police have to go "HOON hunting" to catch car enthusiasts, the normal speed cameras or roadside operations only get little old ladies rushing home before the ice cream melts or yummy mummies who are late for school drop off.

There is not one person here who has never sped, spun their wheels, slid around a corner or any other of the "HOON crimes" yet so many of you arc up and point your fingers yelling "Shame shame" at the slightest opportunity because they only want the HOONs and if you hate HOONs you cannot be one can you?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #32
tyson_8238
BA diff bushes

In QLD what determines a hoon and to be flagged a hoon on the Queenland Police system is to make noise WITH smoke. If you create smoke when doing a burnout, donut, etc than your car will be seized for 48 hours, recieve a big fine and you will be flagged as a hoon. Creating noise is a 320 dollar fine and no demerits
Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #33
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What is the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter?
Osama Bin Ladan & Mahtma Ghandi, mate you should know the difference between those two!!!
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Osama Bin Ladan & Mahtma Ghandi, mate you should know the difference between those two!!!
Hmm.....

So which one was George Washington?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #35
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Hmm.....

Same as George Bush.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #36
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
What is the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter?
One has the latest weapons we're selling, the other has the weapons we were selling last year.
I think this threads just about done.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #37
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Hmm.....

Absolute land developer (Washington DC)
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #38
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
One has the latest weapons we're selling, the other has the weapons we were selling last year.
I think this threads just about done.
If it's done, it's probably because the last 4 or 5 replies have nothing to do with the OP, (gee, does that remind anyone of anything)
If it is done, then it has achieved 1 thing, (aside from anything I may have been looking for originally), and that is, I have actually just heard for the first time any real definition of what a hoon actually is, in Queensland at least, thanks to tyson 8238
Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #39
TK-421

simple answer is common sense.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #40
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson_8238
Creating noise is a 320 dollar fine and no demerits
Even if its done in the wet by accident, say off the lights going uphill with bad tyres ?

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #41
global88
HKS GTR

I am 47 and drive a R32 GTR....i am a enthusiast, police pull me over and quickly change their tone once they see me.

My 20 year old son drives it...he is automatically a hoon, police pull him over, give him body searches and want to slap defects on the car.

Its all mental conditioning done through the media.
global88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #42
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by global88
I am 47 and drive a R32 GTR....i am a enthusiast, police pull me over and quickly change their tone once they see me.

My 20 year old son drives it...he is automatically a hoon, police pull him over, give him body searches and want to slap defects on the car.

Its all mental conditioning done through the media.
Also, the previous 4-wheel drift does have something to do with it.... ;)
Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #43
max_torq
From the Futura

1) ex Hoon

2) likes performance/modified vehicles

There are of course car enthusiasts into vintage collector cars etc, but even then most let rip in a sports car once or twice... ie; hoons.
max_torq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #44
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
The difference is the attitude towards driving a car. An enthusiast, or at least from what we're told, will respect others and the road rules. The later, the Hoon will disregard these.
I was labeled a hoon by police because I was driving on a thursday night and had P plates on, all the while obeying the law to the letter light I add, and a completely street legal car with no defects
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #45
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
HOON is a derogative and divisive term used by social engineers and anti car lobbyists to create a perception of superiority and an artificial underclass.

A HOON is someone who is not you, does not do what you do and is an inferior person to you as they are politically incorrect.

The mere fact that this question is asked here and many have replied shows just how effectively we have been divided and suborned.

Well sunshine, the Scruby's and wowsers of the world are not discriminatory. The hate ALL of us equally and want ALL of us restricted and controlled and our vehicles banned outright.

As they have done since the time of Sun Tsu, if your enemy is too powerful send spies to divide and cause internal conflict thereby using your enemy's power on itself.

We are all so afraid of HOONs, they crash constantly killing people randomly. It must be true it is on TV.
The truth is the the majority of fatal crashes are caused by inattention which is something from which car enthusiasts seldom suffer. We love our cars and driving and can usually spot the radar or potential accident long before it can effect us.
Police have to go "HOON hunting" to catch car enthusiasts, the normal speed cameras or roadside operations only get little old ladies rushing home before the ice cream melts or yummy mummies who are late for school drop off.

There is not one person here who has never sped, spun their wheels, slid around a corner or any other of the "HOON crimes" yet so many of you arc up and point your fingers yelling "Shame shame" at the slightest opportunity because they only want the HOONs and if you hate HOONs you cannot be one can you?
This has to be one of the best post's ever on this forum in regards to Hoons and how people here perceive them.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #46
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

What makes me an enthusiast ??
Is now having a $30k engine etc in a car worth $3k...
To me it's worth far more than any other $3k EBXR...

I could only guess what I'd get for a trade in ??
An enthusiast doesn't dispose of his car, pride and joy that way !!
Aha usually someone who spends, keeps or buys from the hart and NOT the brain as far as good finances go..
Though in the long run you come out on top ...
Buying a new car every 2 or 3 years gets expensive...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #47
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:

Agree on every point with you.

Basically the Media and Politicians have gone mad with labelling our lives, doom and damn everthing with politcal correctness. They've managed to this with everting they could make a buck out of, score political points and to sell stories.

If Personalised car is seen on the road the driver must be a HOON becuase of the perception and beat up in the media and Authorities. "Enthusiast" is not a word in their dictionary and certainly not the word i seen or heard reffering to cars with their respective owners.

So many times i know and heard of people getting stop by authorities just becuase..... and Harrased.
Givin RWC for "just" handbrake adjustment - Bloody Shame.
Recently my friends was givin RWC for 20in Rims. He went straight to vic roads and got it cleared no if or buts and vic road inspector in fact said that
their time is getting wasted by niusance rwc and inspections.

The whole system is joke and common sense certainly does not prevail.
Sometimes I dont see point in having manufacturers producing high powered cars. We dont have Germany's autobahns and nearly on signal there is a camera.

IF you WOT to speed limit for bit of rush and if member of the law see that you are classified/generalised as Hoon. Might even get fine for speeding then its your words against theirs and you loose anyways.

I disputed fine for a friends once it was raining he wheelspinned. Later cops pull him over saying he was doing over 100kph. on 80 zone with no radar evidence. I got letter back with the decision held... now apparently cops can tell what speed a car is doing by just looking at it. I think my friends crime was driving TT Supra and at the time the cops just weren't impressed.

I have lost count of how many times i was pulled over on my AU for Random this Random that.... my Employer was sick to death of me givine him same reason for coming late to work... Cops pulled me over.

Cheers
H
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #48
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Even if its done in the wet by accident, say off the lights going uphill with bad tyres ?
I spun my wheels in the wet in front of a marked police car (wet, uphill, good tyres, but it was very slippery) Police never pulled me over - think they use common sense, but you might get the odd one that may make life difficult for you

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #49
tyson_8238
BA diff bushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
doesnt make noise in the wet well not that much noise I wouldnt bother doing anything about it unless you start doing a donut in the middle of a intersection.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #50
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

defect for bald tyres then.. haha
Old 05-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #51
xalent
Red Eye Racing

"Antisocial behaviour"
What exactly does it mean?
How much has it changed over the years?
Is the media in charge of defining "antisocial behaviour"?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning hoon behaviour on our streets, it just seems that the "antisocial behaviour" tag gets thrown around more and more, generally when the vocal minority kick up a fuss.
xalent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
So, interested to know then, Tyson,from a policing point of view(or actually from a policing point of law), what does make him a hoon?
Depends on which police force he's in. HP or GD...Big difference in attitudes
Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #53
Falcman0o7
Banned

1. Cars are simply fantastic machines that can be modified to suit who you are and the best bit is you can drive it anywhere!
2. A hoon is a dumb thug that has to spin the wheels at every corner!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #54
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliov
1. Drives a modified car and gives it a bit sometimes.

2. Drives a VN commodore with a minispool and different coloured panels..
LOL! VN? no.......
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #55
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Depends on which police force he's in. HP or GD...Big difference in attitudes
There's a difference?? I'm guessing HP is highway patrol, don't know what GD is?? General duties?? Is this the case Tyson??
Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #56
buggo
[BU66OS]

1) ''That original VL, while in a state of dissaray at the moment, has potential to become a good project car and restored back to it's original glory.''

2) ''Man VL's do heaps mad burnouts! Put some rims on it, heaps sick aye, my mates got one with 700Hp.''

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #57
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
There's a difference?? I'm guessing HP is highway patrol, don't know what GD is?? General duties??
Gottit in one zdcol

Does anyone else remember when a "hoon' was just someone who had fun with his car, usually on quiet back roads. Then the Govt and media started looking for a name for idiots causing drama's.

It's now almost embarrassing to admit to hooning around 10+ years ago!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #58
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
1.1 thinks first
2 gets away with it
2.1 doesn't think
2 gets caught
after posting idiotic act on youtube
Great answer! Time and a place for everthing. (Quiet street with NO houses in the cane fields for a couple of test n tune runs,then go home,with a grin.)
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #59
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Gottit in one zdcol

Does anyone else remember when a "hoon' was just someone who had fun with his car, usually on quiet back roads. Then the Govt and media started looking for a name for idiots causing drama's.

It's now almost embarrassing to admit to hooning around 10+ years ago!
I was a "hoon" at work whilst doing my apprenticeship(1977-1980) then a "hoon" whilst doing higher education for some years after that...didn't have the same connotation it seems to have now.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #60
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I was a "hoon" at work whilst doing my apprenticeship(1977-1980) then a "hoon" whilst doing higher education for some years after that...didn't have the same connotation it seems to have now.
Yep. Back then a 'Hoon' meant lapping the main drag of (insert your town here) checking out the talent on a Sat night.