Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #31
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
BS. I'm always using mine in corners and that's on a car with tight fitting sports seats (about 2mm clearance for the side and bottom bolsters). This is on the road on my normal road tyres. On track days with R spec tyres it is much more useful.

They also help under braking and can save on clutch wear. Guys like Frank Gardiner, Carroll Smith and a lot of driving instructors (including John Bowe's) recommend them and use them but what would they know?

If you don't "need" a foot rest maybe you aren't cornering hard enough, you aren't aware of how hard your car can turn or you have no idea of their benefits. Being pulled around by lateral and longitudinal G's while steering, braking and accelerating doesn't help anyones car control.

Give me the benefits of primary safety (being able to avoid a crash) over secondary safety (damage caused during/after the crash) any day!

I'm sure anyone on this forum who has seen me drive certainly knows I corner hard enough.

How can a foot rest possibly save clutch wear?!

If I need support through corners I simply put pressure down on the floor with my left foot. The same goes with braking. The foot rest makes no difference in this method.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #32
buickman
buickman

Footrests I don't think were fitted to cars proir to 1980. If you get used to them it's like anything its hard to do without.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #33
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

I've been driving with one in my XR8 for the past 15 years & the first thing I noticed & felt strange about when I first got into my FPV Cobra was there was no footrest. After many hours of driving the Cobra, I've now got the seat & steering colum adjusted so everything is right (correct distances) & find that the spot on the carpet/floor is very comfortable & just as supportive as the mounted footrest in the XR8 was & I no longer really notice it's not there.
I've also done advanced driving courses & CAMS licence test & know how & where you should brace yourself in cornering & braking & have found with the seat in the correct position in the Cobra, I can be confortable & brace myself just as effectively using the spot on the floor as I could using a mounted footrest.
As for removing it for saftey? I think it's just Ford cutting costs, just like the non lockable petrol cap on the FG's. Another subject, but I fell of the chair laughing when I read this in the paper & must share. The jerno testing the car asked " Why is it we can buy a FG Falcon with a sophisticated IPod connector as standard but we can't get a locking fuel cap?" Ford's answer was "We didn't consider it necessary, we don't see fuel theft as a big issue & we don't think a fairly flimsy soleniod device will stop anyone who's determied to get in." The jerno said " With petrol prices going the way they are a flimsy deterent is better than nothing at all, or is it fair to expect, by some extrapolation, that sometime down the track we might start seeing cars deviod of locks for doors & the boot because they won't keep out anyone who is determined enough to get in?"
It hurts me to say this, but with this type of thinking & cost cutting, it's no wonder Ford's sales are going down the tube, & I don't think the FG is going to be the saviour they hope.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #34
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
I'm sure anyone on this forum who has seen me drive certainly knows I corner hard enough.
And are you in control? Everyone thinks that they corner "hard" but I'd say that only about 10% of the people that I see on the roads actually try and only about 5% actually do.

Quote:
How can a foot rest possibly save clutch wear?!.
Think about it and you'll understand.

Quote:
If I need support through corners I simply put pressure down on the floor with my left foot. The same goes with braking. The foot rest makes no difference in this method.
Ignorance is bliss.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #35
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it the screw in fuel cap that doesn't have a lock, or is it the flap that doesn't lock when closed?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #36
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Is it the screw in fuel cap that doesn't have a lock, or is it the flap that doesn't lock when closed?

The flap

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #37
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And are you in control? Everyone thinks that they corner "hard" but I'd say that only about 10% of the people that I see on the roads actually try and only about 5% actually do.

I have done 2 defensive driving courses both in my cars, I know the limitations of my car and I know when I'm cornering hard!

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #38
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
It hurts me to say this, but with this type of thinking & cost cutting, it's no wonder Ford's sales are going down the tube, & I don't think the FG is going to be the saviour they hope.
Did you notice the fabric on one of the doors of a FG display car at the Melb motor show looked dodgy .
I've given up on being loyal to any make because of poor quality controls but still support Ford in V8 supercar racing.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #39
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosman
The flap
If that means that the fuel cap is always acceptable withe the car un/locked, they're asking for trouble.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #40
AustinA40
Tourer

I had an AU Fairmont Wagon with a footrest fitted, on trips towing a caravan
around OZ and into the Outback I found it very usefull to rest the foot on.
I bought a 2006 Territory Ghia without one and the first thing I did was fit one from an AU in a wreckers yard. Would not be without one.
AustinA40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #41
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #42
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK on my AU it has a footrest and I missed it at first in the BA, but I soon realized that my lower body was wedged against the higher console in the center and the drivers side door, my lower body don't move around because its jammed in against stuff. In the AU the gearbox tunnel is lower and so is the console, I also believe that the footwell is wider because the tunnel is narrower, because of this your lower body isn't as "wedged"

if you are worried that much about it buy one and bolt it in I am sure they couldn't cost that much.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #43
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

someone must have fit one to my BA, because I've got one. Seems quite worn though. I find myself pushing against it when in stop start situations or if I'm agitated. It's quite good it's there I guess.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #44
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a manual you bunch of skirts.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #45
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Get a manual you bunch of skirts.
did you read my sig before you said that?

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #46
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahahahahaha Riksta, thanks for the laugh
Old 15-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #47
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BS. I'm always using mine in corners and that's on a car with tight fitting sports seats (about 2mm clearance for the side and bottom bolsters). This is on the road on my normal road tyres. On track days with R spec tyres it is much more useful.

They also help under braking and can save on clutch wear. Guys like Frank Gardiner, Carroll Smith and a lot of driving instructors (including John Bowe's) recommend them and use them but what would they know?

If you don't "need" a foot rest maybe you aren't cornering hard enough, you aren't aware of how hard your car can turn or you have no idea of their benefits. Being pulled around by lateral and longitudinal G's while steering, braking and accelerating doesn't help anyones car control.

Give me the benefits of primary safety (being able to avoid a crash) over secondary safety (damage caused during/after the crash) any day!

I was going to do a write up on the benifets but you have done it for me

Spot on with what you said, I have a pedal ready to install in mine.
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #48
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
The fuel cap does not lock nor does the flap, but you know you can do what I did & buy a Locking Cap from CPC (Repco).
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #49
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Jees, this thread has sprung to life out of the archives!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #50
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Well i don't have a problem with it. I cant reach the lump that's supposed to be a footrest anyway.

What's this CAMS testing you spoke of Steve? going rallying or something? :

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #51
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

This thread is about 18 months old!!

For my 50th birthday (yes I'm that old : ) I did a 2 day driving course at Oran Park, and passed my OLT to qualify for a CAMS licence (also did a one day Formula Ford drive day....brilliant fun)

Unfortunately, they later found an iregularity in my heart during the compulsory medical which prevented me actually being granted the CAMS licence.

I wasn't really intending to race, just wanted to show I could achieve it
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #52
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thread is almost as old as you Steve.

See what happens when your an old timer......can't get a CAMS licence.

,In all seriousness though Steve. Congrats for doing it all and actually passing damn medicals!

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post