Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #31
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Hyundai is outselling Holden in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
At least GM is taking the Commodore out in style...Ford has done nothing with the Falcon..its so sad..Ford should hang their head in shame...
seriously??

you truly believe Ford have done nothing with falcon? I think given the budget constraints, what Ford has achieved with the final falcon is actually quite brilliant. It will go out as easily the best falcon ever, and the workers can hold their heads high.

Ford also have a history of standing on their own 2 feet to get through financial difficulties, not just borrowing endlessly from taxpayers and govt's.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #32
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
5 year warranty is only given on cars that are made to last that long,how long is fords warranty and what does that say about their lack of confidence in the quality of their product...
I love my fords but how long can you flog a dead horse for,its not giving up on ford,they gave up on us long ago... their sub standard product doesn't fool the general public anymore so its the end of an era.
I think it sucks.
I’d rather have a vehicle that doesn’t see the dealer so often and comes with a 3 year warranty over one that is at the dealer more then it’s on the road and comes with a 5 year warranty, just because it has a longer warranty doesn’t mean its built better.

Oh and those extra years of warranty are only applicable if you get your vehicle serviced through a national dealer.

I’ve had Ford’s and never had any issues that have needed a longer period of warranty, something to think about.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #33
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
5 year warranty is only given on cars that are made to last that long,how long is fords warranty and what does that say about their lack of confidence in the quality of their product....
So I guess BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, Ferrari etc all have lack of confidence in the quality of their product?? Seriously?

My Ford will be 4 years old soon and it's still going. I must be lucky although I still see some EB's on the road, they must be lucky too.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #34
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
As are (most??) Hyundais.

What is the schedule like for a turbo I6, same as the regular I6?
A quick google search reveals that the servicing schedule is exactly the same as the non turbo. But it's just dearer.

In Subaru land they want all Impreza's to be serviced every 6 months or 15K. Whether it's a WRX or not. For a non turbo Impreza the first service costs almost $300! So if you do 15K a year in an Impreza, it will cost you $600 but in a Falcon it will be only $270. Big diff.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #35
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
A quick google search reveals that the servicing schedule is exactly the same as the non turbo. But it's just dearer.

In Subaru land they want all Impreza's to be serviced every 6 months or 15K. Whether it's a WRX or not. For a non turbo Impreza the first service costs almost $300! So if you do 15K a year in an Impreza, it will cost you $600 but in a Falcon it will be only $270. Big diff.
Hyundai turbo service intervals are actually half that of the others; 6 months or 7500kms whichever comes first.

My FG is 5 years old next month and never needed the factory warranty at any time. For the last couple of years I've had the freedom of going elsewhere than the dealer for a service. If the manufacturer builds a quality car, you don't need the extra warranty duration. Just a ploy by the manufacturers really to make buyers feel good about their new purchase (and the extra business that the dealer gets servicing the car). Reason being the probability of a problem significantly diminishes between 3 and 5 years.

Apart from turbos, there are still manufacturers like Toyota and Mazda that stipulate a maximum calendar time of 6 or 9 months for services of naturally aspirated cars, regardless of kms travelled. In my opinion that is totally ridiculous as oil does not deteriorate appreciably when the car is sitting in the garage. Maybe it could be a consideration if the car is subject to very short trips so the engine never warms up properly, but mandating it on all cars with lower kms is purely exploiting the customer.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #36
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
I’d rather have a vehicle that doesn’t see the dealer so often and comes with a 3 year warranty over one that is at the dealer more then it’s on the road and comes with a 5 year warranty, just because it has a longer warranty doesn’t mean its built better.

Oh and those extra years of warranty are only applicable if you get your vehicle serviced through a national dealer.

I’ve had Ford’s and never had any issues that have needed a longer period of warranty, something to think about.
I bought a brand new 2012 turbo ute that spent more time at the dealer with warranty issues than almost any other ive heard of, maybe have a think about that,we all know ba/bf/fg/fgx are lumbered with common problems that have existed for over 10 years,of course some get lucky but most have a lot of warranty issues,think about that.
You sound like a loyalist with his eyes wide shut like many others,im a realist and say it like it is,the truth hurts and I expect comments like yours from a ford forum,its the nature of the beast.
I expect people like you to still be sticking up for the falcon when they are long gone,no matter how crappy and unreliable they were...
You were one of a few lucky falcon owners,i am one of the many unlucky ones,just read through the forum if you can open your eyes long enough...
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #37
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
So I guess BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, Ferrari etc all have lack of confidence in the quality of their product?? Seriously?

My Ford will be 4 years old soon and it's still going. I must be lucky although I still see some EB's on the road, they must be lucky too.
Like I said to the other guy,you are one of the lucky few,i am in the more common warranty experienced falcon owners,its well documented on this forum and you dreamers still going on about how good falcons were,they are stopping making falcons for a reason,because the bad cars outweighed the good by a fair margin and sales fully died,any person with half a brain can see that lol
Only reason eb falcons are still going is because they have had cash spent on them to make it that way,trust me ive owned one for 10 years.
When will you dreamers open your eyes,i realise its a ford forum but does that mean I have to lie to myself bahahaha
Old 02-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #38
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Come on guys seriously lol
They aren't stopping making the falcon because its an awesome reliable car that never has warranty/reliability/qc/inherent problems ford refused to fix to save a few bucks, are they?
Haha
I think ive made my point,if I tell any more truths ill be in the *****.
Good day gentlemen and ladies.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #39
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Our Hyundai has an 8 year warranty if you service it with them. The 5 year is just the standard warranty.

I can't comment to much on it's long term reliability because it's very new, but surely they have some faith in the product if they are willing to give a warranty like that.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You were one of a few lucky falcon owners,i am one of the many unlucky ones,just read through the forum if you can open your eyes long enough...
just like any review site on any product you care to think of, negative reviews will be over represented due mainly to the fact that people basically only take the time to review a product if it is giving them grief. those that aren't having issues generally don't complain or leave reviews. its no different on a car forum. problems seem a lot worse than the reality due to the over representation of those kinds of topics.

an individuals sample size of any particular model is very very small, and its impossible to come to any accurate conclusion based on a forum and your circle of friends/aquaintences.

even FGX is selling at around 3-600 units every month. how many of those are on a forum talking about their car? 1%?? multiply that by FG, FG2 and FGX and you soon realise how small the sample size a forum actually provides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA
They aren't stopping making the falcon because its an awesome reliable car that never has warranty/reliability/qc/inherent problems ford refused to fix to save a few bucks, are they?
Haha
do you know the reason?

do you think it could possibly be due to the high labour costs here, and the fact we are a little island out in the middle of the pacific building an orphan car. car manufacturing plants need volume. ford australia was always going to close manufacturing at some point.
6 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
but surely they have some faith in the product if they are willing to give a warranty like that.
Ozito tools have a much better warranty than most top end tools. doesn't mean they are better. or even close.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #42
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ford needed more warranty work than the dealer would agree to, even after ford customer rang service him and told him to fix the problems the dealer did everything he could to stuff me around. Needless to say I will never buy another ford.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #43
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
I bought a brand new 2012 turbo ute that spent more time at the dealer with warranty issues than almost any other ive heard of, maybe have a think about that,we all know ba/bf/fg/fgx are lumbered with common problems that have existed for over 10 years,of course some get lucky but most have a lot of warranty issues,think about that.
You sound like a loyalist with his eyes wide shut like many others,im a realist and say it like it is,the truth hurts and I expect comments like yours from a ford forum,its the nature of the beast.
I expect people like you to still be sticking up for the falcon when they are long gone,no matter how crappy and unreliable they were...
I think your the one with the slanted eyes mate if you believe that dribble that you wrote, where are all these lumbered vehicles that evidently are prone to problems that are ever so common ?.

Of course there are drama’s but if you are basing your fact’s on the concern’s of other’s from this forum and other’s alone then it clearly show’s how single minded of an individual you are, here’s a little piece of knowledge for you, all makes and manufacturer’s have their troubles and the only time you hear about them is in forums like this, but ask yourself how many actual vehicles on the road are plaque’d with those same issues, not all and certaintly not the majority of them, have a think about that. Do you see Falcon’s left right and centre on the side of the road day in day out do you ?.

You’ve had drama’s, I haven’t, you’ve so called heard about other’s having drama’s (probably from your uncle who heard it from someone in the dr’s room what ever blah blah..) They are a very small minority.

Maybe you should visit a site like whirlpool as they speak and believe the dribble that you come up with.

I’m a realist and clearly you’re far from that.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #44
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On topic, agree with OP that Holden and Ford will be bit players once domestic manufacturing is gone. For Ford, they actually have decent imported product (like new Focus with torque converter auto) - perplexing why sales of this are crashing off lows. Ford Australia 2005-15 will make a fascinating study case for marketing and business majors in years to come I am sure.

For Holden after Commodore, uuuummmm, yeah. Good on them for the effort they put into the VF, but if they want their imports to make a mark and be respected they should ditch the entire lineup then get a new one full of cool GM vehicles to fall out of the sky in fireballs with explosions and Optimus Prime and turn into giant robots and
Old 02-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #45
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Haha
There is a big difference between perception of truth and truth.

I'm not saying that your perception of the truth is not the truth, but given there appears to be differing perceptions of the truth, only one of them can be the actual truth.

How do we know which one that is

Having said that, your experiences are no less relevant than mine, or anyone else's, but that doesn't necessarily make it the real 'truth'.

Anyway, I'll stop putting my point of view forward, as I really am a bit of a fence sitter. I don't think Ford are as good as some people make them out to be, but nor do I think they are as bad as some others make them out to be.

I also believe that to be the case with other manufacturers.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford have basically bailed on the low profit fleet sales, except for Ranger. Hence the drop in sales numbers. They want to sell to higher profit public sales. The sales numbers reflect this. Not sure if it is a good idea or not but that is the reality.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #47
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Our Hyundai has an 8 year warranty if you service it with them. The 5 year is just the standard warranty.

I can't comment to much on it's long term reliability because it's very new, but surely they have some faith in the product if they are willing to give a warranty like that.
I’m not doubting you but Hyundai Aus only offer the following,

SIXTY MONTHS (UNLIMITED KILOMETRE) WARRANTY is offered by Hyundai Motor Company Australia Pty Ltd. (herein known as “Hyundai”) for vehicles first registered on or after 1st October, 2011.

So is your 8 year warranty done via your dealer ? if so you may need to read the fine print to see what is actually covered past the 5 year cut of.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #48
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ford have basically bailed on the low profit fleet sales, except for Ranger. Hence the drop in sales numbers. They want to sell to higher profit public sales. The sales numbers reflect this. Not sure if it is a good idea or not but that is the reality.
This has been reported a bit lately and the deletion of the base model Ambiente from the updated Focus and no RWD low priced Everest supports this. The price leading Ranger petrol single cab chassis has also been deleted.

When you look at it, Hyundai are going flat chat with discounting, incentives and massive advertising. The sales numbers are up for them, but at what cost? The money they burn in chasing bulk sales, is it giving them the profit?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #49
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My i20 has a 5 year Hyundai warranty and 3 year dealer warranty covers basic parts.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #50
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
When you look at it, Hyundai are going flat chat with discounting, incentives and massive advertising. The sales numbers are up for them, but at what cost? The money they burn in chasing bulk sales, is it giving them the profit?
Hyundai is a monstrosity of a company. Cars is one of many branches.

They are selling a ton of cars and have built a respectable following.

They rely on bulk sales and also sell most of ther models in God knows how many countries.

I see their advertising and sponsorship everywhere. We could learn SO MUCH from them as they are a proven success. You want to head up to Korea some day (I'm back there in 2 weeks), no word of a lie 95% of ALL VEHICLES are home grown. Talk about brand loyalty.

Don't assume low unit cost means low profit either. Take a look at how Domino's pizza is doing financially and you may be very surprised, even though their bread and butter sellers are $5 or $6 a pop.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #51
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
seriously??

you truly believe Ford have done nothing with falcon? I think given the budget constraints, what Ford has achieved with the final falcon is actually quite brilliant. It will go out as easily the best falcon ever, and the workers can hold their heads high.

Ford also have a history of standing on their own 2 feet to get through financial difficulties, not just borrowing endlessly from taxpayers and govt's.
Ford has taken gov money also.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #52
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I've owned six Falcons and only one was a POS - my manual BA XT 3V V8.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #53
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just wait until Hyundai bring out their mid size dual cab ute. look out toyota
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #54
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Funny enough I have a 2012 FGII ute. 1 warranty claim early on from then its just serviced and driven. Been a good car. My old BFII is still going strong at my folks place, few fixes required but went to QLD and back no problems last Christmas. Drove it recently and no dramas with the car.

But its funny two women at my work one owns a Hyundai Santa Fei and the other owns a KIA SUV and both of them have had the same transmission problem where you put it in drive and the car doesn't go. The KIA has done work on the transmission while Hyundai can't get it to happen (as the problem is intermittent) so it does it from time to time. So from your logic I should assume all KIA and Hyundai SUV's are garbage and never to consider one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
just wait until Hyundai bring out their mid size dual cab ute. look out toyota
For commercial vehicles I don't think Hyundai would be a success quickly. Hilux's sell very well and they are quite mediocre.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #55
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be interesting to see new car sales figures if the Aussie dollar hits US 60 cents and below, as has been predicted.

Suddenly imports will start to cost more, a lot more than what we've previously been used to.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #56
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
It will be interesting to see new car sales figures if the Aussie dollar hits US 60 cents and below, as has been predicted.

Suddenly imports will start to cost more, a lot more than what we've previously been used to.
When our $ was parity with the USD I didn't see much drop in car prices for imports.
Especially the high end cars, an M3 was and still is a 150k car.
I'd be intrigued to see if it does change.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #57
The Snout

30 years of hard work is being rewarded with Hyundai sales figures. I remember their 'Say hi to Hyundai' ads from the 80s. To go from that to this is hard work, nothing more. Well done.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #58
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Hyundai turbo service intervals are actually half that of the others; 6 months or 7500kms whichever comes first.
Yeah I know that (it was already mentioned earlier in the thread), the question I was answering was about the XR6 Turbo engine. Not the Hyundai turbo engine.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #59
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Like I said to the other guy,you are one of the lucky few,i am in the more common warranty experienced falcon owners,its well documented on this forum and you dreamers still going on about how good falcons were,they are stopping making falcons for a reason,because the bad cars outweighed the good by a fair margin and sales fully died,any person with half a brain can see that lol
Only reason eb falcons are still going is because they have had cash spent on them to make it that way,trust me ive owned one for 10 years.
When will you dreamers open your eyes,i realise its a ford forum but does that mean I have to lie to myself bahahaha
I'm not 1 eyed Ford. This is my first Ford I've ever owned. Got my license in 1987. The Hyundai's and Subaru's I've owned prior to this Ford all had warranty claims done on them. So has my Ford. But just cause the warranty is finished, doesn't necessarily mean the car will break. That's all I'm saying. Unfortunately there are hard luck stories on every manufacturer.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #60
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’m not doubting you but Hyundai Aus only offer the following,

SIXTY MONTHS (UNLIMITED KILOMETRE) WARRANTY is offered by Hyundai Motor Company Australia Pty Ltd. (herein known as “Hyundai”) for vehicles first registered on or after 1st October, 2011.

So is your 8 year warranty done via your dealer ? if so you may need to read the fine print to see what is actually covered past the 5 year cut of.

Yeah extra 3 years is dealer, obviously not as in depth as the regular warranty, but still better than a kick in the teeth. My close family and I have had 5 brand new cars over the past 10 years and only the hyundai has had a warranty over 3 years.
Still I don't think I could by a Hyundai for myself to drive everyday, well maybe a Genisis, But Hyundai are pretty well built cars these days.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post