Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #31
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good advertising for a change from Ford, Just a Pitty you cant buy the New Territory yet....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Im still amased after all these years and advancements of aerodynamics,5-6 speed boxes,ect ect
I can still get on a highway run 10L/100Ks from a dirty ol 1980 Nissan patrol diesel 4 speed wagon (500,000Ks on original motor)
From Brisbane to Gin Gin up and back time after time
So 30 years later people parade about 8l/100Ks
Im amased late model high tech cars arent down near 5l/100ks
i'd say its largely because of all the creature comforts and safety people demand in cars these days, not to mention performance. the cars generally weigh more, have much more kit, go a lot better and yet still offer economy improvements over yesterdays cars.

with larger cars, most of the energy is getting it up and going, which is why in stop/start traffic, they will always use more than a lighter car.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #33
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I'll await real word test figures..i don't expect it to be a thirsty car but I wouldn't get to assumptions too quickly.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #34
nstg8a

Quote:
I think the issue is,IF you want economy you drive to strive economy
Im still amased after all these years and advancements of aerodynamics,5-6 speed boxes,ect ect
I can still get on a highway run 10L/100Ks from a dirty ol 1980 Nissan patrol diesel 4 speed wagon (500,000Ks on original motor)
but what emissions is your patrol pumping out?

if there was no emission regs then things would be very different i think.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #35
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
I think the issue is,IF you want economy you drive to strive economy
But does your dirty ol 1980 Nissan Patrol have airbags, cruise control, climate control, bluetooth, ABS, EBD, 17inch+ wheels, a decent crash rating, meet strict (later) emissions requirements...plus bucket loads of other weight adding technology. Take all of that out of a current car and see what the economy figure is like. As much as all the bells and whistles are great to have, it adds weight.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #36
billy302

Well it is good news although I wouldn't trade my falcon based on the highway figures.
Its easy to get 6 to 8L/100km out of the falcon and mine runs on Gas. That's 750 Km on 60 litres of gas at about 65C per litre. Filled in Perth run out 300km east to the farm and return. We regularly do this trip.
on flat level ground sitting at the speed limit we get this all the time.
Car averages around 12 to 14 litres gas on average. You do the maths.
The falcon wins the dollars per 100km travelled stakes easily.
The Territory is a good vehicle no doubt but a Falcon Wagon on Gas in the country isn't bad either. Fuel range duel Fuel about 1400 ks before refuelling.
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #37
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I personally think that the Terri's strong point is going to be the economy but not what has been advertised, the Hwy fiqure as let's face it most modern vehicle's are great on the Hwy.
I think what is going to reel the buyer's in is the fact that a Big SUV can be very fuel effeicent in town, where most family people drive, the day to day cost's.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #38
joeyct
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79
Agreed... Let us not forget a VE SIDI Omega can do a Melbourne to Sydney run on one tank.

Shame for Holden it was very far from true.
Yes but Holden also deceivedly increased the size of the tank to 70lts.

Put in a big enough tank to back your claims, that's how holden do it.
they are working on a roof mounted tank that is aero looking and makes people think you are packed up and going on hols.

Nah mate just going down to get some milk. But hey it's a holden and that's all i care about.
joeyct is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #39
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyct
Yes but Holden also deceivedly increased the size of the tank to 70lts.
I think your lost there.

Commo sedans have had bigger tanks than Falcons since VT days. VT to VZ had 75l, VE's are 73l.

Holdens mistake was simply dividing the tank capacity by an unobtainable in real world driving consumption figure to pull out a long range.

The must have forgotten cars dont drive in vacuum bubbles on perfectly flat roads, and there are winds and hills to contend with.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I think your lost there.

Commo sedans have had bigger tanks than Falcons since VT days. VT to VZ had 75l, VE's are 73l.

Holdens mistake was simply dividing the tank capacity by an unobtainable in real world driving consumption figure to pull out a long range.

The must have forgotten cars dont drive in vacuum bubbles on perfectly flat roads, and there are winds and hills to contend with.
pretty sure one of the motoring sites did the journey from sydney to melbourne to back up the claim.

why is it so unheard of to get 900+ to a tank? i used to get that from my ef wagon (72L tank).

many people love to hate on commodore and holden just for the sake of it. no where in their advertising do they say its better than falcon so i don't see what the issue is.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #41
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
pretty sure one of the motoring sites did the journey from sydney to melbourne to back up the claim.
If they did, I never read or heard of it. I know Wheels and Motor attempted to try and match the ADR consumption to see if it was viable, but was never able to.

Quote:
why is it so unheard of to get 900+ to a tank? i used to get that from my ef wagon (72L tank).
I never said it wasn't possible. Under the right circumstances its doable. I got a couple of 820 to 840km tanks from my EL Ghia. Just requires the right circumstances.

The trip computer once showed me a 7.1l/100km average from Geelong to Melbourne, 15% better than the brand new ADR figure. But that was on a cold night, in 5th gear and absolutely no wind to contend with.

Quote:
many people love to hate on commodore and holden just for the sake of it. no where in their advertising do they say its better than falcon so i don't see what the issue is.
Dunno where I was bagging Commo's. I bag and praise both sides equally if I think they deserve it...
Old 07-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #42
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Good to see a good highway figure advertised, but the Territory MUST be as good, if not better.
I've just come home form a four day trip with my sister, her husband and their 3 boys in a diesel 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe.

We went to Brisbane, through to the Gold Coast, back up to Logan back to, and around Gold Coast/Surfers, then back up to the Entertainment Centre for Top Gear, then into Brisbane CBD in medium traffic and finally refuelled at Mt Gravatt.

All on one tank of diesel, with 3 adults, 3 kids and the car chocked full of luggage, averaging 6.5 litres to the hundred.

They traded from a Territory to the Sante Fe, citing fuel consumption as the biggest issue/cost for the change.

Yes, the Santa Fe is smaller, etc, etc, but after hacking around in the car for this weekend, I can see why the Territory is being passed up for these cars.

The Santa Fe drives quite well, has plenty of go, and only apart from being less roomy inside, really is a capable vehicle that I think can be compared to the Territory.

It really pains me to put the Territory behind when it comes to these cars, but it is a fact.
The new Territory has got to compete with, at least be on par or better than it's competitors to sell or Ford may as well forget it.

I also went on similar trips with my sisters family when they had the Territory, and the only time I felt they really had a complaint, was at the bowser.

Ed
Old 07-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #43
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Dunno where I was bagging Commo's. I bag and praise both sides equally if I think they deserve it...
it was more just a general comment. no offense meant.

i did about 3 trips from adelaide to bris and back in my ef xr6 wagon, 3.45 diff and manual. it wasn't a one off getting 900+ to a tank. not flat roads either and not driving any different to how i normally do on a trip. i actually couldn't do much better in my ba driving 1 up with no luggage. i'll find out in may how my fg goes on the same journey. its a 6sp so hopefully it does me well.

i find the fact that since not many people do long country drives anymore, when they see range figures of 800 or more, it seems unreal because last time they did a long journey they were in a much older car.

on that note, and it has been mentioned, ford would be much better off advertising 'round town' figures, as thats where the majority of driving will be done. 1000km to a tank isn't really that impressive anymore in the modern diesel world.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #44
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i find the fact that since not many people do long country drives anymore, when they see range figures of 800 or more, it seems unreal because last time they did a long journey they were in a much older car.
Whereas some of us expect it, like me.

But I was left disappointed by my BF. 760 is the best I've gotten so far. I would have expected more.... But the weight and engine type probably doesn't lend itself to hugely economical cruising.

I probably shouldn't complain given the performance levels and comfy ride, but it would have been nice to at least see this car match my old EL in the economy stakes. But it hasn't in any circumstance done it yet.

You might be luckier with the higher compression engine.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #45
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
Good to see a good highway figure advertised, but the Territory MUST be as good, if not better.
I've just come home form a four day trip with my sister, her husband and their 3 boys in a diesel 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe.

We went to Brisbane, through to the Gold Coast, back up to Logan back to, and around Gold Coast/Surfers, then back up to the Entertainment Centre for Top Gear, then into Brisbane CBD in medium traffic and finally refuelled at Mt Gravatt.

All on one tank of diesel, with 3 adults, 3 kids and the car chocked full of luggage, averaging 6.5 litres to the hundred.

They traded from a Territory to the Sante Fe, citing fuel consumption as the biggest issue/cost for the change.

Yes, the Santa Fe is smaller, etc, etc, but after hacking around in the car for this weekend, I can see why the Territory is being passed up for these cars.

The Santa Fe drives quite well, has plenty of go, and only apart from being less roomy inside, really is a capable vehicle that I think can be compared to the Territory.

It really pains me to put the Territory behind when it comes to these cars, but it is a fact.
The new Territory has got to compete with, at least be on par or better than it's competitors to sell or Ford may as well forget it.

I also went on similar trips with my sisters family when they had the Territory, and the only time I felt they really had a complaint, was at the bowser.

Ed
Exactly,
Just as I have allready said above, in order to promote sales and gain sales, they need to be fuel effecient in town where most people drive day to day.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #46
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFairlane
This should make it desirable to those who keep buying some of the bigger four wheel drives but live in the city. The Toyota Landcruiser Prado averages about 8L/100KM on the highway, if the Terry can beat that then i cant see why it wouldn't sell brilliantly
My 150 prado gets average 13 l/100km all highway so I don't know how they all claim 8's , unless they drive like a grandma I can't see it in the real world .be good if it can really reach those figures but time will tell .
Economy is a real sales pitch these days , but we had a Santa Fe as the misses car and from my view it was a piece of junk good on fuel, but junk .got the au back out of the shed shed which on the highway was better than the Hyundai.I don't drive in cities much so unless its good on fuel with a bit of speed up it ,then it won't make me sway towards buying .
Old 07-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #47
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
My 150 prado gets average 13 l/100km all highway so I don't know how they all claim 8's , unless they drive like a grandma I can't see it in the real world .be good if it can really reach those figures but time will tell .

Is your Prado a diesel ? if so something must be wrong or you tow alot or you are in a very hilly area, as I have driven quite a few 150 Prado's and every one of them has seen easy 8.5L/100 on the hwy, the best was down to 7.7L/100, very straight road cruise set on 105klm.
I would say something is wrong with your's if you can not get into the 8-9L/100 on the hwy.
13 L/100 is way to much.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #48
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Diesel mate and I am happy you get that but when I tow I get 16s I can only say that you don't do over 100 , it may if I drive at that but at 110 it won't get any where near it where the old falcon is in its elementat that speed .and I don't complain because my patrol averaged 15 plus ,so its doing ok but claimed and real is what I'm about ,30 thousand on it now and it don't change lots of mates with em and they have never seen it .at the end I buy my cars for function not cost however I do understand I am on the minority
Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #49
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
Diesel mate and I am happy you get that but when I tow I get 16s I can only say that you don't do over 100 , it may if I drive at that but at 110 it won't get any where near it where the old falcon is in its elementat that speed .and I don't complain because my patrol averaged 15 plus ,so its doing ok but claimed and real is what I'm about ,30 thousand on it now and it don't change lots of mates with em and they have never seen it .at the end I buy my cars for function not cost however I do understand I am on the minority
The ones I have driven, like I mentioned usually the cruise is set on 105klm unless it is a 110 zone the cruise is then set 115klm, with spirited overtaking etc and hill's in normal everyday hwy driving.
The last one was a hire car (a GX 150 deisel) that we hired while touring around the southern Isle of New Zeland, lot's of hill's etc espically up around Mt Cook and then to Queenstown and then on to Milford Sound and back, so anyone that know's this area know's it is not flat 100lkm road's, and the GX read 9.5L all the way and my own calculation's at the bowser claimed 9.3L/100, that same vehicle on a nice flat road from Christchurch to Mt Cook claimed the best of 7.7l/100 with my calc's being 7.9L/100.

Anyway this topic is about the Territory so I won't go on and lead it astray.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #50
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Mate my old 80 series Landcruiser 1hz (non-turbo) diesel gets 12.7l/100kms on the highway with 4 adults and camping gear on board. Thats with 33" tyres. Something is wrong with your prado
Old 07-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #51
1TUFFUTE
Banned

is one prado in cooler nz and the other in hotter temp areas????
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #52
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a great advert. Great bit of advertising there Ford.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #53
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
Yes I'm in Queensland and my main drive is the beef road ,no hills no corners but plenty of heat ,I will get flamed but up on this road I drive at 120 plus and it sucks in the juice but when I'm on the highways with normal folk and traffic it won't see more than 105 ,as the territory diesel will be the next spare / misses car I am sure I will let you know what I can get out of it , hey its all good news as the old territory is a fuel junkie, looking forward to it coming and not before time .

To the people quoting fuel figures ,I'm quite aware of possible and achievable , they just are not real world if as soon as you got a box trailer on ,or you push it up 10 ks your bill doubles .

This is why cruisers and patrols sell in the bush put a tonne on at it all stays the same .

Edit and this is also where the grey nomads will love the diesel ,pulling a van at ninety clicks diesel is king at it
Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #54
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
That make's no difference, it was not that cold in NZ in late Oct early Nov, and then I also have driven quite a few up north Queensland when going to Cairn's/Port Douglas and acheived similar millage, so how do you explain that.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #55
fairBA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFairlane
This should make it desirable to those who keep buying some of the bigger four wheel drives but live in the city. The Toyota Landcruiser Prado averages about 8L/100KM on the highway, if the Terry can beat that then i cant see why it wouldn't sell brilliantly

Dont ever compare a LC to a Terry.

Not even close. No one who whats a LC will choose a Terry based only on est fuel figures. Terry should be compared to a Klugger at best.
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #56
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think most of the official highway figures are only based on 90-95kmh speeds.

I dont know about anyone else, but in 110 zone I sit on a speedo indicated 120, I do end up passing most people, but never been stung for speeding.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #57
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I think most of the official highway figures are only based on 90-95kmh speeds.

I dont know about anyone else, but in 110 zone I sit on a speedo indicated 120, I do end up passing most people, but never been stung for speeding.
I didn't even have to check your location to know that you don't live in Victoria.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #58
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairBA
Dont ever compare a LC to a Terry.

Not even close. No one who whats a LC will choose a Terry based only on est fuel figures. Terry should be compared to a Klugger at best.
Um I would and I am, I am eagerly awaiting the outcome of this new Territory as I have shortlisted it down to the Prado V's new Terri, and they are both in the same meduim SUV catagory, so they can be comparred.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #59
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

You may want to size them up if you think they are in the same category, one is a family wagon that can go up the garden path ,and the other is a full size 4wd with true abilities .

If anyone thinks otherwise they will never sell another territory,
Old 09-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #60
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TERRITORY gets EPAS (From Carpoint.com.au)

Ford Territory diesel slashes fuel economy
words - Joshua Dowling
Driver's knee airbag, 1154km-plus diesel driving range and 2700kg towing capacity just some of the highlights of the new Territory SUV
» Get the best price on a new Ford
Ford has cut the fuel consumption of its Territory by one-third – addressing one of the biggest criticisms of Australia's sole locally-made softroader.
Indeed, the new diesel Territory uses the same or less fuel than a Toyota Camry four-cylinder petrol car – and can drive from Sydney to Noosa without stopping for fuel thanks to its 1154km-plus driving range.
The consumption average is 8.2L/100km for the rear-drive diesel Territory and 8.8L/100km for the all-wheel-drive diesel Territory. The rear-drive petrol Territory now uses 10.6L/100km – a 9 per cent reduction compared with the current model and in line with the consumption of the Falcon sedan not so long ago.
The all-wheel-drive petrol-powered Territory has been dropped due to its diminishing take-up rate. Just one in five Territorys sold last year were all-wheel-drive. This reinforces the notion that Australians like the appearance of a vehicle with offroad ability rather than the genuine functionality.
The news came as Ford revealed more details about the 2011 facelifted Territory during a series of technical briefings at Melbourne airport -- ahead of the vehicle's arrival in dealerships next month – and previewed a number of firsts for the carmaker and the local industry.
The Ford Territory will be the first Australian-made vehicle to be equipped with a driver's knee airbag. The Territory was already awarded five stars for crash safety without the extra airbag, but Ford made the improvement anyway.
The knee airbag brings the Territory's airbag tally to seven -- but the curtain airbags still do not extend all the way to the third row seats (as they do in the Toyota Kluger and Mazda CX-9).
In other welcome news, the diesel Territory now has increased towing capacity. The oiler is now rated at 2700kg. The petrol Territory's towing capacity remains at 2300kg.
The Territory will also be the first Australian-made Ford fitted with an electric power steering system. The weight savings from the new system, as well as the reduced operating load on the engine, deliver a 2.5 per cent reduction in fuel consumption, the company estimates.
Other fuel saving measures include a six-speed automatic transmission in the petrol Territory (instead of the four-speed) and a new taller diff ratio (3.23:1). The diesel models retain the 3.46:1 diff ratio.
Arguably the cheapest of all the upgrades, Ford also put more air in the tyres to save on fuel. The base model Territory 17-inch tyre now leaves the factory with 34 psi, while the rest of the range retains 30psi.
The diesel Territory is powered by the same 140kW/440Nm 2.7-litre single turbo V6 that is used in the Land Rover Discovery. It weighs just 1kg more than the inline 4.0-litre six-cylinder petrol engine (whose power is up 190kW to 195kW and whose torque has climbed from 383Nm to 391Nm).
The diesel engine is made in the UK while its six-speed automatic is made in North America (also used in the Mustang and Ford F-Series pick-ups).
The petrol engine is made in Geelong, while its six-speed ZF automatic is made in Germany.
Territory suspension has been given a complete overhaul for better handling and comfort, and Ford says it has made significant changes to the vehicle's quietness and refinement. But the media will have to wait another month for drive impressions.
The technical briefings were still going as this article was published. Check the Carsales Network soon for more detailed reports.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post