Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #31
goo33

Default Re: Which 4x4?

[QUOTE=sprintman1;5568943]MU-X with legendary 4JJ1-TC engine.QUOTE]

The legend of the Isuzu motor seems largely created by Isuzu. Isuzu claim that 90% of those engines will reach 500,000 ks. The engine is supposed to be the same or similar to a unit used in an Isuzu truck. Hard to find any examples of even the Holden badged Isuzus making that distance. Rebuilds are $10K.

The Triton/Challenger are just another example of a manufacturer cheaping-out. Drop the mighty 3.2 diesel and put in the 2.4 and then run catch-cans.

The Foton/Cummins is supposed to be okay with a Getrag 5 speed and Dana diff. Not convinced that the national distributors are serious though.
goo33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #32
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
You can't be serious. Surely people aren't stupid enough to buy one of those. I'd take a second hand Hilux over a Mahindra pos anyday of the week.
For $26K drive away, the Mahindra doesn't look to be a total write off—at half the price of the big names... manual Prado GX @ $59,089 for example.

Recent favourable review HERE.
SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #33
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post

My job tomorrow is count how many times the word 'shall' is used. Also I believe the isuzus are getting a 2.5 this year. That article is a bit rubbish
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #34
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

When buying a run out this time of year just check build dates for the car you are buying. MY15 run outs could have been built in 2014 (even 2013) making your new car 2yrs old as soon as you drive away from the dealer. Mitsubishi do a lot of scoop purchases and stock can sit around for a while. Not so much with the Tritons as they are a popular cheaper truck but challengers are a bit of an oddball in the segment. Same goes with certain Navaras. Also be aware that both Mitsis and the Navara all have woeful thin paint.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #35
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a 4" lift and 35" mud terrains.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #36
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
When buying a run out this time of year just check build dates for the car you are buying. MY15 run outs could have been built in 2014 (even 2013) making your new car 2yrs old as soon as you drive away from the dealer. [...]
Too true...

The managing director of used car bible, Glass’s Guide, says buyers need to be aware of when their car was built, not just the compliance plate.
“You need to make sure it’s factored into the price,” says Santo Amoddio, from Glass’s.

“A car [considered one year older on the build date] can be three to four per cent cheaper [than one with a latter build date].”

Amoddio said the price difference in the industry’s eyes between a car built in 2013 and one built in 2014 could range from $1000 for a $25,000 car up to $2000 for a $50,000.

—Drive.com. March 2014.
SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #37
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=goo33;5569038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
MU-X with legendary 4JJ1-TC engine.QUOTE]

The legend of the Isuzu motor seems largely created by Isuzu. Isuzu claim that 90% of those engines will reach 500,000 ks. The engine is supposed to be the same or similar to a unit used in an Isuzu truck. Hard to find any examples of even the Holden badged Isuzus making that distance. Rebuilds are $10K.

The Triton/Challenger are just another example of a manufacturer cheaping-out. Drop the mighty 3.2 diesel and put in the 2.4 and then run catch-cans.

The Foton/Cummins is supposed to be okay with a Getrag 5 speed and Dana diff. Not convinced that the national distributors are serious though.
It's the same engine as 5 ton Isuzu truck. There's a reason they are now no #1 in small, medium, and heavy trucks in this country, they build a better mousetrap!
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
It's the same engine as 5 ton Isuzu truck. There's a reason they are now no #1 in small, medium, and heavy trucks in this country, they build a better mousetrap!
I presume by Heavy Trucks you mean up to about 8 Tonne and not Prime Movers.
Old 21-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #39
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I presume by Heavy Trucks you mean up to about 8 Tonne and not Prime Movers.
Whatever the Australian trucking industry class as 'heavy'. All available on the interweb.
Old 21-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Whatever the Australian trucking industry class as 'heavy'. All available on the interweb.
LOL... Heavy is over 8t and I'm afraid Isuzu don't get a look in there
Old 21-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #41
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
LOL... Heavy is over 8t and I'm afraid Isuzu don't get a look in there
Slight error on my part, Isuzu are the fastest growing and equal second with Volvo to Kenworth who dropped 6.9% in the Heavy segment. Overall market leader by a wide margin for 27 consecutive years in the Australian truck market.
Old 22-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Slight error on my part, Isuzu are the fastest growing and equal second with Volvo to Kenworth who dropped 6.9% in the Heavy segment. Overall market leader by a wide margin for 27 consecutive years in the Australian truck market.
I could also say 'it's on the web', but I'll make it easy for you......

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...19#comment1619
Old 22-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #43
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
My job tomorrow is count how many times the word 'shall' is used. Also I believe the isuzus are getting a 2.5 this year. That article is a bit rubbish
31 times. very poor article
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post

My advice, hire a 4WD when you need one and save yourself a lot of maintenance and expense.
Problem with that is you cannot go on spur of the moment trips.
Like recently I started work at 5am, got an unexpected short shift and finished at 8am. So I decided to go from work straight up the bush.

If you are only going on a planned once a year trip, then yes a rental might work well.

As for 4x4 utes, I don't know why people buy utes and not use the advantages of having a Ute. I would prefer a wagon 4x4, but a single, dirty downhill bike doesn't fit in the back of 99% of them. Let alone multiple bikes. Bike racks are ok, but are a bit of a stuff around for regular use.
As much as I like my Ranger, if I didn't 'need' a ute, I wouldn't get one.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #45
Swordie

Here's some other options to consider up to $35K:

New - Volkswagen Amarok
Secondhand - Hilux - great resale and reliability

If 4x4 capability is importnt I keep in consideration which model has good aftermarket support for 4x4 accessories.

Last edited by Swordie; 22-01-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #46
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At this price point a brand new Challenger for about 34 grand is a no brainer - has 5 year warranty too
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #47
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread, the Challenger seems good value.

My 2c, 1) the bloke that owns the 4wd for those sand days pays and pays and pays to keep the thing. The other passengers chip in for fuel on the day, and all get the same quality waves... 2) Did the diesel manual 4x4 and petrol auto 4x4 and for sand, the latter wins every time, funny thing is, it also wins in the urban commute too
3) Some of the tracks you go down behind the foredune are going to be hard on the car, smash it about (one new Suby copped a quad bike on the bonnet around a corner!), scratch the duco; then add salt wind, so

My vote here is for a FJ73 petrol auto.
Commute the other 98% of the time in something comfortable
Old 24-01-2016, 01:12 AM   #48
goo33

Saw a new Silver Isuzu DMAX parked right beside a new Silver Mitsubishi Triton today.

Have to say the Triton looks the goods.

And thousands of $$ cheaper.
goo33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post