Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-12-2005, 08:02 PM   #31
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

lol...welcome to the world redline
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #32
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

how about a career in banking? top pay and loads of respect from everybody you meet :
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #33
parawolf
beep beep

I work at TXU

TX-WHO?
Old 15-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #34
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Im working full-time now getting 33k a year working 43.5 hours a week at ge money. There are opportunties for more money always but I actually decided to resign.. though not sure if right decision and have to decide tomororw if i stay or go.

I know one of our managers there is 25 and earning 150k+ but loves the job.
Old 15-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #35
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Join the defence force, you could probably pull 80 or so at 25 if you got into a technical path and joined when you were 19 or so.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #36
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap AU
get a trade in the construction industry finish the apprenticeship then do the study and get on your way to getting a builders ticket... you ll have plenty of homes that way
Not bad, BUT, the building industry is volatile and you can easily have a bumper of a year then a shocker, in which you may loose all you gained..... Been there, done that. the last 3 years have been the exception tho...

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 11:10 PM   #37
gtfpv
GT

thanks people good replies there . i still stand by my thread . and it looks like most of you agree. but i don't think anyone should take it to heart . lots of people are on $160 000pa and havent got 2 pennies to rub together . and cannot save . others literally work at Mcdonalds and have wealthy plans happening . what you earn doesn't create financial or social success or happiness for that matter . but cash flow and plans are important, and to live in sydney one way or another if you want 2 cars a house and a family . look towards $80 000.pa. just to get by. remember majority rule so if it is good for one it is ggod for the other. everyone needs these things . not just a few so life has to provide opertunities or people will live with mum and dad into thier 40's.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #38
Windsor220
Now Fordless

$80000pa is a fair amount. especially for under 25s. as someone said before, it all comes down how you manage your money. not wasting money on alcohol, drugs ,smokes, crap you dont need etc i used to be on $40000pa when i was 20 and i managed to rent an expensive apartment, do up a car and save heaps of cash.

just my 2c
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Im 21 now and earn a shade over $5o,ooo a year, been on the same money for 3 years now. My minium hours is 55 a week monday-friday only as we dont work on weekends.

On the other hand my mate who is only 6 months older than me is a labour'r on the M7 he works 6 days a week and brings home $1,25o clear, about $75,ooo. He loves it as it's a bloody easy job 90% of the time.

There's money in every thing you do, people wouldn't do it if there wasn't.
The problem with being a labourer on those sorts of jobs is that you are out of a job pretty quickly ... seeing at the M7 opens tomorrow night ... bye bye job for your friend.

I know ... my fiancee used to work in the admin team for the Bridges section ... she got out of there though when she luckily got another job with the Leightons parent company and is now working on the Windsor Rd Bus T-way project ... and then they will put her on another project after that ... and after that ... at least she knows they keep their admin tem.

Unfortunately the labourers are expendable ... and they get rid of them as quick as they hire them.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 16-12-2005 at 12:23 AM.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #40
Electric
F6 and AU Fairmont

Another thing you may want to consider is quality of life, it may not sound important to you at age 20, but it will by the time you hit 30.

By the reckoning in this thread so far, compared to a few of my friends I am an under achiever. I earn just over $100k per year.

One mate the same age as me (34) was a chippy then did architecture at uni and a few years ago earnt over $300k. But another mate has scored a job in the US. He earns more than that, has just bought a house in LA for $1.25M drives a New 911, has a 100th anniversary Harley and a late model 4WD. Not to mention big name suits, watches, mega buck digital SLR equip with fist full’s of 1 and 2 GB memory cards….etc etc.

But both these guys are single… in fact I don’t think they even have a girlfriend at present. They don’t have the time. Sure they have plenty of cool stuff but these is more to life than stuff. And once you have enough money to live comfortably, but wisely….with a few indulgences. Then the rest is just stuff, and most people, one day…. will want more from life than stuff. And you may well be to busy at work to even enjoy all that stuff.

Sure I went to school with these guys and they make 3 times as much as me.

Does not bother me, I work from home, so some days I can have lunch with my beautiful wife of 10 yrs and our 2 small boys. I earn enough that she could toss in her $55k job to stay home and raise our kids, rather than have some stranger at a day care centre, watch them take thier first steps and teach them new words.

I drive a new car every 2 years (currently an FPV) even comes with free petrol. We are more than half way to owning our 4 bedroom house with 85m sq garage.

Most evenings I am home in time for dinner…with my family. I also get an overseas trip (usually to the US) for training at least once a year. And we always have enough money in the bank, even the day before payday.

For me this is more than enough.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #41
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric
Another thing you may want to consider is quality of life, it may not sound important to you at age 20, but it will by the time you hit 30.

By the reckoning in this thread so far, compared to a few of my friends I am an under achiever. I earn just over $100k per year.

One mate the same age as me (34) was a chippy then did architecture at uni and a few years ago earnt over $300k. But another mate has scored a job in the US. He earns more than that, has just bought a house in LA for $1.25M drives a New 911, has a 100th anniversary Harley and a late model 4WD. Not to mention big name suits, watches, mega buck digital SLR equip with fist full’s of 1 and 2 GB memory cards….etc etc.

But both these guys are single… in fact I don’t think they even have a girlfriend at present. They don’t have the time. Sure they have plenty of cool stuff but these is more to life than stuff. And once you have enough money to live comfortably, but wisely….with a few indulgences. Then the rest is just stuff, and most people, one day…. will want more from life than stuff. And you may well be to busy at work to even enjoy all that stuff.

Sure I went to school with these guys and they make 3 times as much as me.

Does not bother me, I work from home, so some days I can have lunch with my beautiful wife of 10 yrs and our 2 small boys. I earn enough that she could toss in her $55k job to stay home and raise our kids, rather than have some stranger at a day care centre, watch them take thier first steps and teach them new words.

I drive a new car every 2 years (currently an FPV) even comes with free petrol. We are more than half way to owning our 4 bedroom house with 85m sq garage.

Most evenings I am home in time for dinner…with my family. I also get an overseas trip (usually to the US) for training at least once a year. And we always have enough money in the bank, even the day before payday.

For me this is more than enough.

Me to, wanna hire me?
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 12:26 AM   #42
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Its all relative...the more people earn the more they spend...in a alot of cases...its proven that people who live a Joe Average Life and win the Lotto have a very high chance of blowing all their winnings in the first 3 years...they dont think about investing a lot of the time..not smart with the dosh they win...i spose it comes down to what you do with what you earn...what plans and priorites u make
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 01:17 AM   #43
fritzz

im 17 and i earn 26,000 a yr as a heavy duty mechanic 1st year apprentice. when i turn 25 i should be on no less than 50,000 a yr, if i get work on a big mine it could be upto 150,000 a yr
fritzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 01:47 AM   #44
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
lots of people are on $160 000pa and havent got 2 pennies to rub together . and cannot save
Not cannot, *choose* not.

Quote:
look towards $80 000.pa. just to get by.
You have a pretty strange idea of what 'getting by' means.

There's a big difference between the cost of living, and the cost of living it up.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 10:47 AM   #45
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Financial Services/Merchant Banking/Accounting probably is the profession with the most 25yr olds around the $80,000 mark.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 12:36 PM   #46
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Not cannot, *choose* not.

You have a pretty strange idea of what 'getting by' means.

There's a big difference between the cost of living, and the cost of living it up.
ok i'll explain it . if you are young and want toi buy a house and get married and have kids . say you are 23. the cheapest house in sydney would be $280 000 . this will need work . so lets say you look at a more modest small home $350 000 you have saved 50 000 bucks already for a deposit . in which case you are already on great money . after paying off your hex fees etc . so you borrow 330000 to cover the costs of the house . do the math. now you have to get married . do the math . now one car or 2 . running costs . bills . baby do the math . food petrol. . you are just starting out . eiither one or both people have to bring home $80000 gross to borrow the money . then when pregnancy come about . wht then . a friend of mine 28 years old has a 90 000 a year job he has a 400 000 mortgage his house is old and needs work . he has a wife and a new born he has 2 cars. he is struggling big time . his wife had to go back to work. he is by no means living well but he is getting by.
Old 16-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #47
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Where in sydney can you buy a modest house for $350 000? My missus and I are discussing buying a unit for that money hahaha

Unless we move back to Queensland

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #48
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ok i'll explain it . if you are young and want toi buy a house and get married and have kids . say you are 23. the cheapest house in sydney would be $280 000 . this will need work .
You dont live in Sydney, do you? Plenty of good houses can be had around that price-point. Living in/near metro Syd is optional - there's plenty of property available in SW Syd at that price, and its far from needing heaps of work.

Quote:
you have saved 50 000 bucks already for a deposit . in which case you are already on great money .
We managed it without being on great money. It's called discipline.

Quote:
so you borrow 330000 to cover the costs of the house .
No, $250k. Nothing compels the first-time buyer to spend beyond their means.

Quote:
now you have to get married .
Given you have a mortgage, you budget your wedding appropriately.

Quote:
now one car or 2 . running costs . bills . baby do the math . food petrol. . you are just starting out .
Should have taken those things into account when choosing the house.

Quote:
then when pregnancy come about . wht then .
Responsible parenting also means knowing what it takes to provide for them, not having a kid, then worrying about how to pay for it.

Quote:
a friend of mine 28 years old has a 90 000 a year job he has a 400 000 mortgage his house is old and needs work . he has a wife and a new born he has 2 cars. he is struggling big time . his wife had to go back to work. he is by no means living well but he is getting by.
Stay at home mums once the kids are in school is a luxury. Why did he buy such an old expensive house?
Old 16-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #49
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

This is a very interesting thread.$80,000 is good money to get in anyones language.My plan to anyone anywhere is to buy your first house and work your butt off.Once this happens ..congratulations ,you have passed your first big hurdle.
Next step is investment and tax.If you own your own home and want to build wealth there are a few steps to take. You must minimise your tax and invest wisely.Even though homes are expensive you can use interest as a deduction and the rent will help offset your loses.
The next step is buy a second house..you see the two rents will be paying off the first house and you will be paying off the second and still incurr lossess as a deduction.If you plan to keep your portfolio indefinately then get a quantitiy surveyor in to depreciate lossess further.

In a nutshell..if you dont own your own home try your best to do it.
Secondly if you do own your home and you have a taxable income of 80,000 dollars then you are probably giving most of it to the government for nothing via taxes.Invest!!

Lastly tax minimisation is legal but tax evasion is criminal!!So be carefull to distinguish the differences.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #50
parawolf
beep beep

However you should not pick your investments just on tax minimisation stategise alone. You should evaluate tax minimisation, capital gains, dividends (income) and more.

Speak to a qualified financial advisor.
Old 16-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #51
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Go work up in central Australia, in the mines etc as a truck mechanic, or someone who works with large tools and that kind of stuff. Blokes who go up there, with a trade, usually earn pretty good money at a young age.
Yep I cant agree more.
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #52
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
You dont live in Sydney, do you? Plenty of good houses can be had around that price-point. Living in/near metro Syd is optional - there's plenty of property available in SW Syd at that price, and its far from needing heaps of work.

We managed it without being on great money. It's called discipline.

No, $250k. Nothing compels the first-time buyer to spend beyond their means.

Given you have a mortgage, you budget your wedding appropriately.

Should have taken those things into account when choosing the house.

Responsible parenting also means knowing what it takes to provide for them, not having a kid, then worrying about how to pay for it.

Stay at home mums once the kids are in school is a luxury. Why did he buy such an old expensive house?
BOSON dont flame me mate . jees. i did it without investments. and i saved $50 000 deposit by the time i was 22 . i was paying $80 pw rent house sharing i had a $28000 year job but worked ot so by the time i was 20 i was a tradesman earning $40000pa inc ot. that was 16 years ago and that is the money i considered a family needed to earn back then. now you have to borrow more than you need for a house it is called stamp duty and furniture+ wedding expenses that is why i said $350 000. if you dont borrow more you will end up borrowing for furniture or repairs or a car soon down the track.
my friend lives in rydelmere. he is a responsible parent he is on $90 000pa . you need to talk to a mortgage broker to see how many people have 400 000 dollar mortgages in sydney . most of them are in thier 20's. what is your problem man you are angry about something . everytime i put a thread up here someone comes along and starts flaming . i thought this was an interesting topic. when i was 20 the average tradesman earnt less than 30 000 pa and houses cost 90 000 to 180 000 in western sydney where i live . nowadays the most basic of basic house in western sydney is around 330 000. but most people here are in a home worth 420 000 to 650 000. which is land price in the shire . so what do you need to look for in a way of employment to attian these goals . this is what this thread is about . most people these days that i know anyway live in a 4 bedroom house with a double garage 2 kids 2 cars 2 mobiles kids in private schools, in a healthfund both working. have foxtel and are oin the internet with a big mortgage . dont tell me they are not earning 80, 000 pa to get by . if you want to talkn about sydney start talking minimum $650 000 for a house . most of them worth 750 000 upwards. and combined salaries of around 200 000pa ++++ but that is not what this thread is about.
Old 16-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #53
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't need to earn $80K a year to buy a house in Sydney.

My partner and I bought a 3 bedroom brick house in Sydney when I was 23 and she 21 (I'm now 25). we paid about $420K..we also got a nice new BA XR6 at the same time. At the time I was on $45K and she was on $40K...so it dosnt really take big bucks IMO, just a lot of saving.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #54
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BOSON dont flame me mate .
I'm not flaming you, I just completely disagree :P

Quote:
now you have to borrow more than you need for a house it is called stamp duty and furniture+ wedding expenses that is why i said $350 000. if you dont borrow more you will end up borrowing for furniture or repairs or a car soon down the track.
Problem is that when people perceive debt as being cheap, they borrow more than is sensible. They dont need to buy the best house or the best furniture or the best gadgets. For a first home, you can get the cheaper stuff to help you afford it all, and for a lot less than $80kpa.

Quote:
my friend lives in rydelmere. he is a responsible parent he is on $90 000pa . you need to talk to a mortgage broker to see how many people have 400 000 dollar mortgages in sydney . most of them are in thier 20's.
And most of them could have lived further out of the metro area and payed $50k+ less. It's your first home, some sacrifices need to be made. Young people are deluding themselves into thinking they have a right to the best of evrything straight out of uni.

Quote:
what is your problem man you are angry about something .
No, I just disagree with your idea of what 'liveable' is.

Quote:
most people these days that i know anyway live in a 4 bedroom house with a double garage 2 kids 2 cars 2 mobiles kids in private schools, in a healthfund both working. have foxtel and are oin the internet with a big mortgage .
4 bedroom? Young kids can share - especially in a first home.
2 cars? Some people use public transport to save on insurance/rego/running costs. They sacrifice the convenience.
Mobiles are optional. Private school is most definitely optional. Same for internet, same for private health insurance.

Obviously we have very different views of what constitutes a necessity.

Quote:
if you want to talkn about sydney start talking minimum $650 000 for a house . most of them worth 750 000 upwards.
A first home buyer doesnt have to buy in Newtown you know!
Old 16-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #55
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahah ok buying a house tiny bit of the topic, were meant to be talking about careers
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #56
gtfpv
GT

just thought i 'd revamp this thread as the new year sets in .
Old 31-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #57
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a depressing thread.....
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #58
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Dont forget the first homebuyers grant of a couple of grand.

If you want a lot of money when your young, go work for a casino. That is what my brother did. 18 years old and is already on $50k without overtime and all the bonuses you get for working at a casino. Plus the pay review every 6 months, plus the more games you learn the more you are paid. Within 4 he plans to be on $165 000. At the age of 22, maybe 23.

I am on $35 at the moment and that is enough to get me by. Need to cut back here and there. But for a house no where nere enough.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #59
PapaG
Stock BA atm

80K, aint that easy for most people to get to by 25. Though, if you're good at what you do it can be easy. Eg, friend of mine grew up with pc's, loved 'em (not physically) got a job as a linux/unix network administrator for an isp because he was very good at what he liked and easy 80K pa. Or be a good doctor, you'll only just be 25 by the time your out of uni but 80K isn't hard there either. BTW, I'm 23 and in last yr of Uni, many friends of mine doing a similar Engineering Course started on 60K, so they're on their way.
James
Old 01-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #60
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I can't really offer any advice on what career to try for but I can advise on what career NOT to get into: IT.

Its a mug's game. At least in Brisbane it is. I work about 45 hours a week (don't get paid for most of my OT, only the odd bit here and there). I get $32000 before tax, then Mr Howard takes his huge-ИИИИ chunk, on top of the GST. And I'm virtually on call. I get calls at all hours asking me to fix things. I love getting calls at 8:30 on a Saturday morning when I'm still asleep and badly hungover. Great stuff.

I live at home, I only have a 1996 EL Falcon (wow such an exotic car!), my computer is about 2 years old (ancient) and that's pretty much it. I don't even go drinking anymore (costs too much to go to the city). Don't have a woman to suck my money up either. Don't have much savings and can't afford to move out yet staying at home is also very expensive because its out in the boondocks so I have to drive great distances to get anywhere.

I don't yet own my car, still owe $5k on it and I don't even have a CC - the CBA wouldn't give me one, even though I've been a customer with them my entire life and have a loan with them and have never failed to pay anything ever in my life!!!! But on the other hand dodgy places like Amex and Citibank keep sending me crap in the mail telling me they'll give me a $25k CC :o.

I sincerely doubt a bank would give me money to invest so there goes that idea. Hopefully soon I will get out of this job and earn about 40k doing more of the same, though at least then I can move out!