Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #31
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Daniel Morcombe breakthrough??

It's fantastic news but the only way anyone will really know is if and when they find the boy's remains. Only then can the family really put him to rest. Let's hope that justice prevails and all goes smoothly from here on in, his family have suffered enough and deserve closure
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #32
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

The area they are looking for Daniels remains are in a very swampy terrain. In January's floods, that area went under 5-7 meters of water.......... I was working at the Macadamia farm down there a month ago........
Old 15-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am so glad that the family is going to get some closure. RIP Daniel
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #34
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
According to the news he is a 42yr old father of 3 from WA who is a convicted pedophile... lets hope that he is the right suspect and hopefully (big hopefully!) justice will preveil.

Cant imagine how the parents are coping with all this after 8yrs...
A long way to go before a conviction , it's taken far to long . I had two close family members subjected to something very bad (and they got badly hurt)and frankly it's difficult to deal with being heavily anger inducing and forgiveness is impossible , if and when convicted he may well go into a Qld prison , and the rest you can guess as the unit at Woodford aint that safe .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #35
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

And he has pleaded not guilty so it's going to drag out ............
Old 15-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #36
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Finding the perpetrator is one thing, sentencing is another. Sadly, I do not believe the perp will be getting the treatment we all want him to in general population. The government will give this scum refuge in a protected wing. It's been that way for years. I know someone who is a screw at Yatala prison in SA.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #37
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Finding the perpetrator is one thing, sentencing is another. Sadly, I do not believe the perp will be getting the treatment we all want him to in general population. The government will give this scum refuge in a protected wing. It's been that way for years. I know someone who is a screw at Yatala prison in SA.

Of course he will be protected.

I was talking to a Corrections Dog Handler yesterday about this and he said he would not be surprised if this guy gets more protection than your average rock spider.

That is the way it has been for a long time and forever will be, gone are the days of throwing them in general population and letting Bubba dish out the punishment.

I just hope the prosecutors have all the ducks lined up and the case is dealt with as quickly and efficiently as possible. The Morcombe's and in fact most of Australia need a good clean fast result on this. Daniel is no longer a boy that went missing, he is now a symbol for all child victims of ghastly crimes and his story is their story.

I also sincerely hope that he is found and laid to rest as he should be.

Last edited by geckoGT; 15-08-2011 at 09:10 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #38
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a father of two; I can tell you tears well in my eyes when I see pictures of Daniel.

I hope they've got the bastard responsible, and that he suffers a fate worse than death.

I can somewhat relate, in that I too - at that age - felt compelled to go out & buy Christmas presents for family. That is something I will not be having my children do.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #39
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

There have been several massive updates since the last post and I'm sure the majority would be in the know.

My problem is why they didn't search the area they are now 8 years old? Surely they would've found something far more significant than trying to play needle in a haystack.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #40
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I am sure if they had sufficient reason to search that area they would have. My guess is that more information came to light recently which has helped them narrow the scope of the search.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #41
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually according to the media they had searched that area 8yrs ago.. this was said the night of the Police media conference when they arrested the suspect.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #42
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Perhaps the initial search was not to the same level, this current search is very detailed.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #43
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it may have something to do with one of the charges?

Which was "interfearance with a corpse" which can mean one of two things.
One being the suspect dug the body up and moved it for whatever reasons.

During the initial search they were probably still hopeful they werent looking for a corpse buried in the ground.

Heard yesterday that undercover Police had lived in the same caravan park as the suspect for 6 (?) months before his arrest. Quite possible in that time he went and moved the remains?
Guess we can only really speculate for now.

Old 22-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #44
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Perhaps the initial search was not to the same level, this current search is very detailed.

I would say that they have some real information to do with the suspect that they have arrested, otherwise, they could be searching the entire state one bucket at a time. They must have solid evidence / information.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #45
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
I would say that they have some real information to do with the suspect that they have arrested, otherwise, they could be searching the entire state one bucket at a time. They must have solid evidence / information.
That was my thought exactly, without the extra information it is a big state one bucket at a time.

No doubt that many unanswered questions regarding the tragedy will soon be answered.
Old 22-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
That is the way it has been for a long time and forever will be, gone are the days of throwing them in general population and letting Bubba dish out the punishment.
Didn't work for Carl Williams, someone will find a way regardless of how much "protection" is under.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #47
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Carl Williams was in a different jurisdiction to this prisoner.

This prisoner will spend a considerable amount of time, (which will be constantly under review, both locally and in the head shed), alone in a cell. He will be entitled to an exercise period each day, alone. If he is required to leave the building, it will bring the joint to a stand still until he has changed locations.

Any opportunity for retribution by "bubba" will be extremely slender.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #48
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout

Any opportunity for retribution by "bubba" will be extremely slender.
The corrections doggy that I was talking to makes your statement sound like an understatement.
Old 23-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #49
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
The corrections doggy that I was talking to makes your statement sound like an understatement.
He'd be "high profile" so to speak, so they would want to keep him away from the other inmates. I guess the most logical thing here (besides wanting to enact some retribution) is that if you stab someone famous, the assumption is that you'll become famous... funny world eh?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #50
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have had a lot of the search men and women coming into work since this all stepped up to be a major search area. They are all so tired yet determined to continue. Unfortunately the rain has come at a terrible time as it makes it a lot harder for these people.
They obviously aren't allowed to really say a great deal but from the little they have said it would seem that maybe things are turning up since the floods.

Whilst everyone feels for the family involved I also feel for these men and women giving their time to try desperately to help finalise this sad story. Job well done to the community, Police, searchers and those helping all involved behind the scenes.

As for the hope of true justice being served, unfortunately Australian courts and judges aren't as they used to be many many years ago. The whole 'rehabilitation' for criminals is a big thing no matter what crime they have committed. Therefore they do keep them 'safe' not just for the criminal's sake really but for those that work within the system (no one wants to be held responsible for a low life being injured or worse).
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #51
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just heard on the lunch time news that it has been confirmed that bones found have been identified as those of Daniel.
I just hope the legal process goes ahead with a strong water tight case that leaves no doubt of the accused's guilt & not get off on a technicality or such.

R.I.P Daniel.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #52
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226123795543

HUMAN bones found on a patch of swampy state forest north of Brisbane have been confirmed as those of missing schoolboy Daniel Morcombe, ending the seven-year mystery of his disappearance.

Queensland Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson announced that DNA testing had confirmed the three bones recovered last Sunday at the search site near Beerwah were Daniel’s.

Forensic scientists in Adelaide had worked through the weekend to make the breakthrough.

Mr Atkinson read a poignant statement from Daniel’s father, Bruce Morcombe, describing the family’s mixed feelings.

“Although we knew in our heart that the search area was Daniel’s final resting place, the scientific confirmation is still enormously difficult to comprehend,’’ Mr Morcombe wrote.

“For seven years and nine months it is that expected shock we have all been waiting for."

Mr Atkinson said the news had a “certain harshness’’ for the Morcombes’, who had fought tenaciously to keep Daniel’s disappearance in the spotlight.

Then 13, he disappeared from a roadside near the family home on the Sunshine Coast while waiting for a bus to go Christmas shopping on December 7, 2003.

The renewed search for his remains was sparked by the arrest of Perth man Brett Peter Cowan, 41, who remains in custody charged with Daniel's murder and other offences related to his death and handling of his body.

Deputy Commissioner Ross Barnett confirmed that a white four-wheel drive seized on Russell Island, off Brisbane, was part of the murder investigation.

However, the police have declined to describe the bones found at the remote search scene last Sunday, after shoes similar to those Daniel was wearing at the time of his alleged abduction were recovered by SES and police searchers.

Bad weather has forced a delay in the operation.

Old 28-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #53
zdcol71
zdcol71

I'm sure I can not begin to imagine what must be happening in the Morcombe families hearts at the moment. We have probably all been looking on as concerned and caring outsiders wishing them all the best and hoping, on their behalf, for closure. Aside from the justice/retribution to be worked through, I guess the case will be closed for all of us, but what starts now for his family for the rest of their days?? Please, let's not hang up on what should happen to the perpatrator...let's project (through whatever Gods we've got),all the support that these people will need.
Old 28-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #54
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
You are so right. Daniel's disappearance and subsequent violation and murder was very similar to the "family killings" where a hi profile teenage boy named Richard Kelvin amongst 4 other boys who were also picked up, violated and murdered and yet Von Einem the man charged and found guilty of Richards murder has managed to remain safe for nearly 30 years within the S.A. prison system.

And also because of the hi profile case now surrounding Daniel (full credit to his mum and dad for never letting anyone forget), and as a father of one teenage son myself, this now remains one of the saddest things to come out of Australia in the last ten years. Your journey is nearly over mate, RIP Daniel.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #55
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

My wife used to live near the old Morcombe household in Palmwoods and regularly used to catch the schoolbus with the three boys.

She broke down yesterday when we saw the conference live on TV yesterday afternoon.

If this piece of absolute scum gets off on a technicality I will have finally lost all faith in our pathetic justice system and will see to do fit as I please.

RIP Daniel.
Old 29-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #56
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This news would be both saddening and yet relieving for the Morcombe family. To some degree now they can mourn the confirmed loss of their son, get on with the burial he deserves, and on another degree, look at finding justice as best they can for the filth who did this. Death is too good for this scum, and so is protected jail terms.

I hope the Morcombe family can find some peace now.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont