Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #31
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For my 2c worth - technology can be a godsend, but also can very quickly smother and consume.

Consider the fact the number of texts, sms, mobile phone calls, in line with facebook,downloads,continual updating of mobile phones,blueberrys,ipod's etc - the monthly bill tab for the youth of today must be staggering.

I think the OP has not intended to commence a generation against generation survey/war - but the cost of living for a teenager from the seventies/eighties would have been far lower.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #32
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

While I do blame my own laziness, my spelling has been very bad and continued to deteriorate since I left high school. Spellcheck has made everyone (including myself) lazy when it comes to language, however my father who is 40 years my senior, never used a computer more than looking at photos or basic email has a firmer grasp of the English language than myself.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #33
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

It is a fact of life that as we get older we get set in our ways.

As much as I hate to say it, I am finding technological advances hard to keep up with. We now have Ipods, Ipads, Iphones....I am tempted to just rename everything in my house. Then I can have an Ifridge, Itv, Ichair. I am still hip and happenin'

Not everything that is new is good. Anyone remember Isnack 2.0?

I am looking forward to the day when I can sit in my rocking chair on the front porch complaining about the youngins' and the medicare levy just as my parents and grandparent have
Old 01-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #34
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Not everything that is new is good. Anyone remember Isnack 2.0?
I still maintain that was a marketing ploy!

Just like the introduction of the original mother drink.

Working in I.T., every damn day there is a new product, or programing language, or piece of hardware, heck every 18 months or so the processing power of microchips is effectively doubling!

Two years ago they were talking about dual cores being blindingly fast, now they have an 8 core chip. 45nm CPU architecture was only used in high demand server roles and cost the heavens and the earth, now it is common place in desktop pc's and you can get even a budget chip for around $150.

Some advances are not so good, like a conventional weapon with the same energy output of a small tactical nuke, but I'm sure on the whole most advances to benefit us.... all together now.... SHAMWOW!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #35
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
8 core chip. 45nm CPU architecture was only used in high demand server roles
you're confusing the wrinklies
Old 01-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #36
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

I'm confused - wrinklies - is that a name for a corn chip or a breakfast cereal.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #37
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

It's always the wrinklies who complain though, isn't it...I guess I can't talk, I complain about facebook and I'm 21..I also hate the fact that no matter what happens, when/if I have kids I will apparently turn into my old man...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #38
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
I'm confused - wrinklies - is that a name for a corn chip or a breakfast cereal.
GRAINS DON'T GROW UP TO BE WRINKLIES SON
Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #39
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
I see what you did there
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #40
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ahhh - what, pray tell, do GRAINS grow up to be then.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #41
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Is it just me or does it seem the new age world seems very daunting

We are getting all these interweb scams,internet banking scams,people getting viruses on computers (seeking and destroying info)pushing more paper less society (minimal cash)
Cars ect that people cant fix themselves
Putting airbags,abs,ect ect in cars to compensate for incompodent (spelling)drivers
People that write "2" instead of too or two

I thought as we have been told ,its the way of the future

What happened to the old ways,(were they REALLY better)
Where you looked at a car first,if you liked it you bought it
Sitting around every 2nd thursday nite ,
Dropping a few beers bench racing over a new edition of the trading post

If you were chasing something ,
You either rang people or popped over in person
Texting and email,
Is this for lazy people

I know things are supposed to be better with the interweb (evilbay ect)
Although its good,seems alot are getting burned

Is it just me,or am i the only one preferring the old ways

Thoughts
302 XC, no it is not just you. Technology is convenient sometimes, but it can and has led to degredation of interpersonal relationships and lifestyle generally. Humans need to physically connect as you say. Enjoy tactile experiences like turning the pages of a book or newspaper, slapping a mates back, hanging out in a pack. Actually seeing each other in the flesh, yadda yadda yadda.... Also, see how great technology has been to commerce in the case of Virgin Blue system this week! When technology fails, disaster ensues. Look at the Airbus software glitch which caused that Qantas plane to nosedive on two occasions last year. Kids are turning into obese zombies unable to fight their way out their bedroom because they are so hooked on computer games never learning to spell properly, to string two sentences together, or to count without a calculator. Endless emerging research is indicating negative effects of technology on especially the young. Then the medical research pointing at the hazards of radiation from mobile phones. Then as you mentioned there is the escallating cyber-crime. On it goes.... Clearly you and I recall times when life seemed fuller without all this myriad of gadgetry to prop us up! At the end of the day, it is all consumerism, the marketing ploys cunningly devised to get us all in! Are we really any better off?
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #42
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
302 XC, no it is not just you. Technology is convenient sometimes, but it can and has led to degredation of interpersonal relationships and lifestyle generally. Humans need to physically connect as you say. Enjoy tactile experiences like turning the pages of a book or newspaper, slapping a mates back, hanging out in a pack. Actually seeing each other in the flesh, yadda yadda yadda.... Also, see how great technology has been to commerce in the case of Virgin Blue system this week! When technology fails, disaster ensues. Look at the Airbus software glitch which caused that Qantas plane to nosedive on two occasions last year. Kids are turning into obese zombies unable to fight their way out their bedroom because they are so hooked on computer games never learning to spell properly, to string two sentences together, or to count without a calculator. Endless emerging research is indicating negative effects of technology on especially the young. Then the medical research pointing at the hazards of radiation from mobile phones. Then as you mentioned there is the escallating cyber-crime. On it goes.... Clearly you and I recall times when life seemed fuller without all this myriad of gadgetry to prop us up! At the end of the day, it is all consumerism, the marketing ploys cunningly devised to get us all in! Are we really any better off?
NEVER MIND . MOST THINGS RUN ON ELECTRICITY . SOON WE WILL HAVE SWIPE CARDS IN THE HALLWAY , we will be able to pay for power like a parking meter , problem solved . AFTER THIS IS IMPLEMENTED and people start to venture back outdoors there will be a sunshine/and or rain tax introduced .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #43
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Ironing, or irony?
The real irony is that you didn't get the sarcasm!
(or is this a double double trick?) hehe
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #44
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Ahh. The good old days
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #45
Cooper69S

one problem that I see is that as technology becomes entrenched in almost every aspect of life, it can increase the disrespect that younger people might show to technologically-challenged older people (often their parents). years ago, there was probably nothing that the younger generation could do that older people couldn't offer advice on - they'd done it all when they were that age. Where parents used to teach their kids how to do stuff, now in many areas kids are teaching their parents how to do stuff. Before when a kid told his dad that he had no idea, he would likely be wrong, these days, especially when referring to technology related stuff, it could well be true. or at least that kind of disrespect might be more frequent and widespread than before. I imagine many parents in that position might find it frustrating.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #46
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Got my new blackberry stationary set a couple of weeks back. Its awesome, I'm just like the girls on The Hills

you're already 2 years behind the trend. Google (android) now owns the mobile market. Iphone was last year.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #47
munkky
turbo mafia

I Do Miss The Traiding Post

2008 FG G6E TURBO
AND YES IT HAS A LSD
ORSM F.C.
munkky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #48
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear both sides of the discussion but defy anyone who grew up in the 70's to say we have it better now . Life was easier back then , more enjoyable , people in general were far better educated and far more polite . I would swap every moden gadget in a heartbeat to live like we did back then .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #49
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Yawn, just people who cannot keep up having a whinge. I bet this happened in the 80's too. The older generation then saying how care-free and great the 60's were. There is nothing stopping you people from learning this 'new fan-dangled technology'

As far as 70's being more courteous, polite and better educated. Why don't you look at the people who raised us! Geezus i'm sick of people cracking it about our generation when it's all about who gave us the morality and ways of the world.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #50
Mr Hardware

Well said tonko, well said.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #51
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Yawn, just people who cannot keep up having a whinge. I bet this happened in the 80's too. The older generation then saying how care-free and great the 60's were. There is nothing stopping you people from learning this 'new fan-dangled technology'

As far as 70's being more courteous, polite and better educated. Why don't you look at the people who raised us! Geezus i'm sick of people cracking it about our generation when it's all about who gave us the morality and ways of the world.
So it is someone else's fault, blame them.......yep....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #52
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My view:

Phones are for making phone calls and sending messages
If I want to use the net, I'll go on my computer

If I want to use my phone to get a laser beam to scratch my **** for me, I'll just use my finger instead.

I think people immerse themselves too much in mobile technology nowadays. At work during lunch, people don't talk to each other. Everybody has their heads down with their fancy touch-screen phones that come with an $80 monthly contract to look up things on the net when we have computers nearby.

We have people who as soon as they leave the house, put in the earphones and disconnect from the world around them. As it becomes easier to carry things with us, we're becoming more ignorant and insular.

The world of people is a wretched place that we have created, but the beauty of nature (untouched by man) is a fantastic place to be it is there that you'll realise just what a hold technology has on us all. I'm a computer addict, but I always enjoy going up to the Victorian Alpine Region to camp for a couple of nights. My phone is useless, and we have nothing that resembles electronic technology, except for our cars.

Get out, smell the fresh air, listen to the birds. So much nicer than all that noise they call 'music' nowadays.

You will feel better for it.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #53
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Well said uranium death.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #54
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres the killer,
The government stopped parental control from peoples OWN children
Did getting the belt from dad REALLY hurt that MUCH
Did we play up again, hell no
You had more respect for parents and people in general
IF you were bought home by the lads you were real bad

So no more given ya kids a clip behind the ear
(Seriously are we all that AFFECTED from that )?????

So no parental control,then woops, we have all these little demons running around

Government s solution
OH blame the parents
Like WTF
Take the control away, then blame them

Thats todays generation,sorry
I cant have this or that
Blame the parents cause they didnt work hard enuf or didnt leave a house or assets in the will

Gives yas an inch and ya want a mile
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #55
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that smacking can be effective, BUT parents cannot be there ONLY to smack.

See, my mother had nothing to do with me growing up. Never taught me much, never helped me, never took me anywhere. She was too busy watching Oprah and Donahue to care. My old man did everything.

The only time my mother was ever around was to smack us, or yell at us.

To me, that's destructive.

On the flip side, if children are punished for bad behaviour and rewarded for good, they'll soon form a link between doing good and good happening, and doing bad which comes with bad consquences.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #56
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
1990s - best decade of modern times before everyone turned silly and money meant everything.

Still had freedom, still had Seinfeld, still had great music.

This is coming from a 26 year old!
Very very true Bobman.

You have started a very good thread 302 XC.

One of the possible reasons you feel that way is because instead of the technology adapting to us as human beings, we are forced to adapt to the technology and in effect, de-humanising ourselves in the process. In my personal experience, almost none of the technology we use feels natural to use. How natural is it to sit for hours on end, sedentary, staring at a display panel of some sorts and tap away at a keyboard, to 'talk' to someone via Facebook or any of the other social networking sites (and I use the term very loosely)...

I've been involved in IT for the better part of ten years now and am constantly surrounded by the latest and greatest piece of technology, whether it be a a six bazillion jiggahertz see-pee-you-whatsit, the latest incarnation of Apple's sheep magnet; Bluetooth, blacktooth (and sometimes no teeth at all) devices. Yet at the tender young age of 32, I am now choosing not to immerse myself in the technological rat race. Why... because for the first time since I began working in the field, I am only now seeing that all this technological 'progress' is doing way more harm than good on society as a whole. As others have mentioned, we no longer go up to a person to talk to them, we 'chat' on Facebook, MSN, Yahoo IM etc, we whinge, ***** and moan when the 'net connection dies or the Foxtel craps out like we've lost a limb or a kidney.

The two worst side-effects of this technological progress I see on a daily basis are obesity and a massive lack of literacy and numeracy. Every day, I drive past my old primary school on the way to work and I what I see scares me. Most of the children in the playground are so fat, they no longer walk, they waddle. Kids can't tease the fat kid anymore because they are all fat! Instead, they tease each other on which particular games console they have (or don't have), their choice of phone, their brand of clothing...

During my uni days, I used to teach first year astrophysics to first year non science students (this was back in 2000-2001). I had to fail about 30% of the students simply because they couldn't string together a 1000 word essay and their arithmetic was sub par for first year uni students. Lets fast forward to 2010... I went back to visit one of my friends at the university and I found out another one of my friends is taking it. I asked what the current crop of first year kids are like. His response was disturbing to say the least. Out of 95 students, he only passed four the last time the course ran, simply because their literacy skills were atrocious. He told me that at least 30 of the final assessements were written in netspeak (LOL, brb, u, 2, tmrw). At which point, a rather scary thought went through my head; when I am a dirty old man, having a perv in the park, people of this generation will be running the country...

What we are experiencing isn't evolution and progress, it's devolution and regress.

Last edited by charles_wif_xf; 02-10-2010 at 01:27 PM.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #57
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Oi! I resemble that!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #58
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Got my new blackberry stationary set a couple of weeks back. Its awesome, I'm just like the girls on The Hills
mmmmm the girls on the hills ;)
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #59
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf

What we are experiencing isn't evolution and progress, it's devolution and regress.
Sounds like the final days of the Roman empire. Nowhere left to go so might as well just give up and let it all turn to crap.
People are so soft today, going back to nineteendiketytwo I remember the time I fell ten thousand feet of Murderhorn mount and landed on jagged rocks. Of course folks were tougher in my day, I was up and dancing the jitterbug that very night.
Have to go now, just got an email telling me I've won the Spanish lottery!
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #60
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
Sounds like the final days of the Roman empire. Nowhere left to go so might as well just give up and let it all turn to crap.
People are so soft today, going back to nineteendiketytwo I remember the time I fell ten thousand feet of Murderhorn mount and landed on jagged rocks. Of course folks were tougher in my day, I was up and dancing the jitterbug that very night.
Have to go now, just got an email telling me I've won the Spanish lottery!
I never said to give up. Humanity's progress and evolution shouldn't be tied to the technology we create and the greed that has taken hold of the world. We need to better ourselves as people, without being subsumed by technology and its unrelenting march.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post