The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #31
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
What exactly is double clutch(ing)?

When i was approaching a corner in the XR at 90km in 5th gear i put my clutch in and threw the shifter into neutral.. (the corner i was approaching was a 60km corner). I revved the car upto 3500rpm and then put the clutch in and selected 3rd gear (whilst maintaining the same rpm) and then clutched out and stayed on the throttle...

Its a lot easier to do it then to explain it thats for sure...
Old 27-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #32
ubute
Back in Black

When I did my MR licence test, changing up and down through every gear was actually a required exercise at some part of the test. Don't think it mattered in the car, but its not a bad idea to do it as has been said before shows control of the vehicle and awareness/judgement of gear changing points. Testers love seeing use of good judgement.
Old 27-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #33
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
When i was approaching a corner in the XR at 90km in 5th gear i put my clutch in and threw the shifter into neutral.. (the corner i was approaching was a 60km corner). I revved the car upto 3500rpm and then put the clutch in and selected 3rd gear (whilst maintaining the same rpm) and then clutched out and stayed on the throttle...

Something i've never understood about that. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, why not just clutch in, increase the revs, change down to third, clutch out ?

I get the matching of the rpm speed to the lower gear etc but whats the benefit from shifting into and out of neutral?
Old 27-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #34
ubute
Back in Black

You need to:
clutch in and take it out of gear
clutch out and rev engine to bring flywheel and engine gear up to same speed as the next lower gear so they can mesh
clutch in and engage lower gear on falling revs once they match again, just baby the lever into gear and it will slip in once the revs match nicely
clutch out and keep on driving...

If you just keep clutch in and rev while changing gears, the engine will speed up but the engine gear won't as the clutch has disengaged it... if that makes sense?! So it won't be able to match the lower gear.

its necessary for older non-synchromesh gear boxes, but makes gear changing easier for all gearboxes and looks cooler. Even the old man's truck is synchro except for 1st gear, but it makes life easier to double clutch on down changes through all gears

Last edited by ubute; 27-02-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 27-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #35
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
Ya Joking right?

It is all common sense & everyone should know answers to the questions you have asked, use your feet & brain at the same time & it is easy :P

And YOU had 2 lessons from a teacher, more than I had & I started Driving a manual with no help when I was 12 lol
Ohh give the guy a break...If you've only driven an auto before driving a manual is like entering another world...In fact I think he's brave asking ....I wouldn't have the guts to ask what he's asked...
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 27-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #36
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Then I drove an auto for 5 years, until I bought the BA, and had to remember how to drive a manual quick smart when driving it home from the auction centre in peak hour traffic.
I owned manuals in the early 80's...then 22 years of autos until recently buying my GT which is a 6 speed manual.

I was worried i'd forgotten how to drive one before taking it for a test drive, but it's like riding a bike...you never forget.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 27-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #37
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
when taking off just rev it up to redline and let go of the clutch then you wont stall it.

WARNING it my leave rubber
LOL

When I actually do want to take off fast can I rev it up that high (or even 3000RPM) and take off? OR will that stuff something up?
Old 27-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #38
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
Ohh give the guy a break...If you've only driven an auto before driving a manual is like entering another world...In fact I think he's brave asking ....I wouldn't have the guts to ask what he's asked...
Thanks mate.

I was fairly sure with the basics but there's so many little different things that manuals require hence the question. I've certainly learned a lot from this thread already.
Old 27-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #39
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
What exactly is double clutch(ing)?
ubute pretty much explained it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubute
You need to:
clutch out and rev engine to bring flywheel and engine gear up to same speed as the next lower gear so they can mesh
clutch in and engage lower gear on falling revs once they match again, just baby the lever into gear and it will slip in once the revs match nicely

If you just keep clutch in and rev while changing gears, the engine will speed up but the engine gear won't as the clutch has disengaged it... if that makes sense?! So it won't be able to match the lower gear.

its necessary for older non-synchromesh gear boxes, but makes gear changing easier for all gearboxes and looks cooler. Even the old man's truck is synchro except for 1st gear, but it makes life easier to double clutch on down changes through all gears
the biggest advantage i've found is not locking the rears when im driving hard.
also the synchros on the XC with the 4speed arn't the best so it saves the box from grinding....

its funny when i drive mates cars and do it with them in the passenger seat, they look at me like and then say "what the hell did you just do!!!??"

when you drive a cars with newer gearboxs it really isnt as important unless you think the rears will lock up as it drops into gear.

now i think about it the first time i lernt to double clutch was watching dad in the XA taking it for a fang through the hills... damn that thing has a nice note!!!!
Old 27-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #40
fmc351
let it burn

Double clutch is pointless in cars. The technique youre describing I can do without using the clutch at all, its no different to driving with a RoadRanger.
Old 27-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #41
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU

Quote:
You need to:

Ahh ok I get it.
Old 27-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #42
TZENU
XY Driv3r

And no before any one asks you dont double clutch when you are drag racing
Old 27-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #43
ubute
Back in Black

fmc351 - i know, was just describing what double clutching was. Never tried it without using the clutch at all. So you just pop it out, give it a squirt then pop it in again?
Old 27-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #44
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Remember to fan the clutch constantly when you are driving. A few revs here and there won't hurt. =]

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 27-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #45
3vXT

whats drag racing
Old 27-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #46
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
whats drag racing
You just want to see "that" picture.
Old 27-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #47
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
fmc351 - i know, was just describing what double clutching was. Never tried it without using the clutch at all. So you just pop it out, give it a squirt then pop it in again?
I dont recommend it in a car. Ive had the clutch pedal collapse, Ive had a cable break so had to do it in cars to get home, its not so reliably smooth in a car and the boxes arent of the duty to tolerate it much.

The key is knowing the rev range of the vehicle. What revs it likes the particular gear youre going for, how far it drops when changing through the particular gears.

With the RoadRanger, yes basically you dont over rev it in gear and it will pop out of gear no worries, and as the revs fall with your foot half off the tall pedal it will fall into the next gear when the revs match, back on the tall pedal.

Gearing down, you let the engine speed drop till you need a lower gear, pop it out of gear, pick the revs up a bit in the neutral gate to match the revs for the revs it would be at if in that lower gear already and it should fall into the lower gear without much effort at all, back off the tall pedal and repeat.

Go into the truck thread, theres guys in there who do this all day long.
Old 27-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #48
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I find that locating the rev limiter and dropping the clutch works well with take offs.
I was with the driving instructor practicing hill starts, and i was gradually starting and stopping to get more practice, i got to a really steep point and i had the brakes on, lifted up the clutch a little bit so i could feel it vibrate, then i accidentaly hit the accelerator too hard, let go of the brake and revved up to 5000rpm then brought out the clutch. It smelt rather weird afterward lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by 90sFTW; 27-02-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 27-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #49
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
I was with the driving instructor practicing hill starts, and i was gradually starting and stopping to get more practice, i got to a really steep point and i had the brakes on, lifted up the clutch a little bit so i could feel it vibrate, then i accidentaly hit the accelerator too hard, let go of the brake and revved up to 5000rpm then brought out the clutch. It smelt rather weird afterward lol.
you probably melted the clutch :P.... you are NEVER driving my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Double clutch is pointless in cars. The technique youre describing I can do without using the clutch at all, its no different to driving with a RoadRanger.
i can drive without a clutch with most cars except for takeoff, tried it with the XC, no chance in hell, it wont drop into gear....
double clutching is the only way to shift it quick when its coppin a hiding...

back on topic...
Old 27-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #50
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
learn to double clutch and use engine braking instead of brakes
also saves lockups when going down gears if you like to drive hard...
Another for doubling and engine braking (save cleaning off Pad dust too). Also, blipping while doubling makes it go in that little bit smoother, but if you do it wrong, you can sound lik a real .
Old 27-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #51
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

"You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?"
Old 27-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #52
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, I have been a Driver Trainer since 1987, long before most of you were born - LOL

My goodness me, what a lot of tripe is written here. Bloody hell.

All this talk of double de-clutching, talk about confusing, bloody hell again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your mate is right, use the brakes to slow you down, then select the correct gear.

When stopped, clutrch in, select 1st gear, please remember that when the clutch is 'in', you have actually seperated (put a space between) the clutch plate and flywheel.

When you let the clutch out, you are transfering power from the engine to the gearbox, via the clutch, for example, rub your hands together softly, then push them together harder as you are rubbing, that is like what is happening when you let the clutch out. One hand is the flywheel, the other the clutch plate.

At a point, generally half way out where the pressure is such that the flywheel and clutch will spin at the same speed, this is friction point, the car will want to move slowly forward, at that point, plus maybe a mill or 2, hold you foot still and the car will move away.

All clutch movements when moving should be quicker, but done with feel
Old 27-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #53
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
"You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?"
geez, looks like someone's been watching the fast and the furious too much!
Old 27-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #54
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
geez, looks like someone's been watching the fast and the furious too much!
Wasn't me... I was using it to take the out of the people who don't understand the purpose of double de-clutching... :P
Old 27-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #55
Jessej

Funny to have to think about how I drive manual because it does come naturally with practice.

Sloth puts it quite well to answer your questions. With the gearing down question it depends on your situation, in normal situations generally I would gear down using the engine to break, it puts less strain on the breaks etc... helps with wear on the pads I guess.

Get in there drive in light traffic conditions at first and before you know it you will be changing gears and reversing without thinking about it.
Old 28-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #56
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
OK, I have been a Driver Trainer since 1987, long before most of you were born - LOL

My goodness me, what a lot of tripe is written here. Bloody hell.

All this talk of double de-clutching, talk about confusing, bloody hell again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your mate is right, use the brakes to slow you down, then select the correct gear.

When stopped, clutrch in, select 1st gear, please remember that when the clutch is 'in', you have actually seperated (put a space between) the clutch plate and flywheel.

When you let the clutch out, you are transfering power from the engine to the gearbox, via the clutch, for example, rub your hands together softly, then push them together harder as you are rubbing, that is like what is happening when you let the clutch out. One hand is the flywheel, the other the clutch plate.

At a point, generally half way out where the pressure is such that the flywheel and clutch will spin at the same speed, this is friction point, the car will want to move slowly forward, at that point, plus maybe a mill or 2, hold you foot still and the car will move away.

All clutch movements when moving should be quicker, but done with feel
Thanks mate.

If a lot of people who have posted in this thread are wrong, then that idiot who trolled this thread at the start has just proven his stupidity.

I'll be sure to use your advice.
Old 28-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #57
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
If a lot of people who have posted in this thread are wrong, then that idiot who trolled this thread at the start has just proven his stupidity.
who's the idiot? point em out so we can flame the bastard!!!

puts on flame suit
Old 28-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #58
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
who's the idiot? point em out so we can flame the bastard!!!

puts on flame suit
It was the first reply.
Old 28-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #59
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Thanks mate.

I'll be sure to use your advice.
Mate it seems you are talking about me in regards to the Idiot!
I was having a bit of Fun at your expense I admit it however it was your original comments saying that your Mates car goes so fast in reverse that you cannot handle it & cannot work out if you use the Clutch Throttle & Footbrake you will be able to control speed it is not me who is the IDIOT!

As I said I started driving a manual at the age of 12 on my own with no Help & with no more knowledge than from watching my Father Drive.

As many apart from me have said it comes naturally, well unless you are a girl as many Girls seem to have trouble with manuals moreso than Guys.

And young people like you with not a clue are Driving Vehicles on the Roads :
Old 28-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #60
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
Mate it seems you are talking about me in regards to the Idiot!
I was having a bit of Fun at your expense I admit it however it was your original comments saying that your Mates car goes so fast in reverse that you cannot handle it & cannot work out if you use the Clutch Throttle & Footbrake you will be able to control speed it is not me who is the IDIOT!

As I said I started driving a manual at the age of 12 on my own with no Help & with no more knowledge than from watching my Father Drive.

As many apart from me have said it comes naturally, well unless you are a girl as many Girls seem to have trouble with manuals moreso than Guys.

And young people like you with not a clue are Driving Vehicles on the Roads :
As a long term Dirver trainer, I can say with out any doubt that the art of driving comes easy to some and not so easy to others.

Some people need more time to come to grips with it.

And if you think ridiculing people like that is right, then my son, it is you that has issues. Not everyone is as expert as you appear to be, now be a good "little" boy and bugger off.