Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
satria
FOXWHO

Default Re: Qld revenue camersa tolerance to drop to 3 kph

I was done for 66 in a 60 about a year ago near Melbourne airport. On a road I learnt later that use to be 80. To be honest I must have missed a speed sign and would have been driving to whatever seemed safe enough for that particular road. I thought that was a bit harsh.

Considering my gross speed, luckily I didn't kill half the neighbourhood. Thankfully VicRoads alerted me to my mass error weeks later by snail mail. I'm so thankful we have these people out there looking after our safety.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If you get done by a speed camera on your local commute to work then obviously you don't pay too much attention to driving anyway

Yes, don't worry about that shiny new SUV parked on the side of the road just up ahead.

If you're familiar with your commute in Victoria they always cycle between a few spots, and they're always in new SUVs or Commodore Sport Wagons, the front of them has a nudge bar with two lights on it, space wide out on either side of the nudge bar, you can see them from ages away.

Don't you guys get warning signs in other states?!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Just had it from a reliable source with an ear in the Qld Govt. that the tolerance in revenue cameras is going to drop to 3 kph from December1.
Palerchuck (or is that palerspew) has to finance all those "give me a vote" promises she's been making of late.
You must really love the states Biggest money earner placed only 200m from your front door Pete
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

''Your Honour, I was constantly checking my speedo to make sure I wasn't speeding, that's why I hit those cows''
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big Damo..Queensland removed the warning signs in July...
Old 29-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Big Damo..Queensland removed the warning signs in July...
Our warning sign is a new SUV parked on the side of the highway in the distance and 'Melbourne Boozebus And Speed Camera Locations' on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/MelbourneRe...Alert/?fref=ts
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Wonder if the cameras pick up dislodged wheels speeding by?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Wonder if the cameras pick up dislodged wheels speeding by?

Quite a few years ago a disgruntled motorist removed his plates and sped through a revenue raiser a number of times just to feel better about things.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
tweeked
N/A all the way

If doing 4 K's over the limit means you are driving dangerously then the speed limit has been set too high.

There was nothing wrong with the old 10% idea. WHY?????

IF.....you deliberately did 66 in a 60 zone and you were paying close attention to everything - speedo, traffic, kids on the street etc you could avoid getting fined. I did this for years and never got fined.

OR - deliberately aim to do the exact limit, just paying attention to everything other than the speedo. If you accidentally went 5 or 6 k's over while paying close attention to everything else, you had nothing to fear. You were not being dangerous.

but then that doesn't make much cash, so that logic will never win.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Was the camera within 200 metres of the speed sign?
Here in VIC, cameras cannot be within that distance.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Was the camera within 200 metres of the speed sign?
Here in VIC, cameras cannot be within that distance.
Yep. It was between the two lights which are about 100m apart, probably a little less.

But live and learn. It was a few months ago and it's been paid.

Bad luck, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

In essence I think it's BS.

I was in America recently and the shuttle bus driver transporting us between hotels was doing 80MPH (128kms an hour) on a 60MPH (97Kms an hour) stretch of freeway.

So I asked him what was up with that (As 30ks an hour is quite a jump)

He said "Look at the cars around us"

They were all doing about the same speed. Some doing a little more and less.

"If your doing 80 miles and so is everyone else, then your all good the cops don't mind. They won't write you up. If your doing 60 and everyone else is doing 80 they WILL write you up for not keeping with the flow. It's different in Australia isn't it?"

"Yep, if you go over by 1k in Australia you will certainly die"

He got a good laugh out of that.

I didn't like America, and there is a lot that that they can learn from Australia, but that is one thing we could learn from them.....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post

I was in America recently and the shuttle bus driver transporting us between hotels was doing 80MPH (128kms an hour) on a 60MPH (97Kms an hour) stretch of freeway.

"If your doing 80 miles and so is everyone else, then your all good the cops don't mind. They won't write you up. If your doing 60 and everyone else is doing 80 they WILL write you up for not keeping with the flow. It's different in Australia isn't it?"

I didn't like America, and there is a lot that that they can learn from Australia, but that is one thing we could learn from them.....
Love driving in America. Got busted pulling 90mph going up an incline in a rental mustang, and a friendly state trooper pulled me up, and was amused by the fact I was from Australia, commented on the dangers of hitting a deer at 90mph, and kindly let me on my way... No ticket, and he did give me a sense he was actually concerned about my safety. Big contrast to my experience in Australia, getting pulled up by a cocky , arrogant , power tripping bully which denotes 90% of the HWP team , and is probably why they joined the HWP (the others who couldn't drive probably joined the ATO)..

The best part was trailing crazy Pickup Truck drivers pulling 100mph down the interstate, mile after mile and not getting pulled up. People in the States appear to respect the keep-to-the-slower lane principle better than Australians.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 29-11-2015 at 03:38 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
AUwindsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Love driving in America. Got busted pulling 90mph going up an incline in a rental mustang, and a friendly state trooper pulled me up, and was amused by the fact I was from Australia, commented on the dangers of hitting a deer at 90mph, and kindly let me on my way... No ticket, and he did give me a sense he was actually concerned about my safety. Big contrast to my experience in Australia, getting pulled up by a cocky , arrogant , power tripping bully which denotes 90% of the HWP team , and is probably why they joined the HWP (the others who couldn't drive probably joined the ATO)..

The best part was trailing crazy Pickup Truck drivers pulling 100mph down the interstate, mile after mile and not getting pulled up. People in the States appear to respect the keep-to-the-slower lane principle better than Australians.
It's all good bro, everything equals itself out. People with a few millions to invest and enjoy driving will not remain in Australia.

And let me tell the faggots here in charge that believe their HWP is doing the right thing, globally most people with money DO enjoy driving, and many overseas own performance vehicles without being labelled dangerous criminals for breezing 30'ks over the speed limit.
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post

That's exactly what we found...and were shocked at...driving around Vegas and southern Nevada. Went onto the highway, set the cruise control carefully to 70mph...and then proceeded to be overtaken by everyone...little old ladies, trucks, cop cars, everyone. Wound the speed up to about 80 to 85mph, and sat there with all the other traffic, with a cop car in the next lane to us.
Later we got told as long as no one is driving like an idiot, they literally couldn't give a crap. Keeping the traffic flowing was the prime consideration. We also found the strip...with a 30mph limit...was actually more like 40 during the day when traffic flowed more freely.
Far more mature way to approach speed limits.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #16
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Since living in a few states with their different versions of safe, I mean really how is this amongst other issues not standardised, I can understand a tight tolerance in suburbia.

But an hour or so outside of all the major cities and you have to wonder who they are trying to protect.

Increase the quality of the major highways, increase the speed on them and then small tolerances around the city would be easier to take. They need to stop treating the public like fools.

All I can say is having minimal funding for services in rural areas has one upside...not many patrol cars around here!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #17
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
But an hour or so outside of all the major cities and you have to wonder who they are trying to protect.
The treasury...
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #18
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
The treasury...
So as if having an economy that's falling apart isn't bad enough our states have moved to relying on an income as fickle as this? One which we all know doesn't add any significant safety and yet we all go along with it.

The answer is to simply not pay fines for such minor offences...if we all did what are they going to do.......
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #19
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
So as if having an economy that's falling apart isn't bad enough our states have moved to relying on an income as fickle as this? One which we all know doesn't add any significant safety and yet we all go along with it.

The answer is to simply not pay fines for such minor offences...if we all did what are they going to do.......
You might be on to something. Stopped paying fines years ago. No assets under my name, car regoed under an ABN, no fixed address, swapped licenses between states. Have not been barred entry/exit at immigration or passport confiscated, so I am guessing in the bigger scheme of things, speeding fines and traffic offences really are fickle.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #20
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets clear some things up if your not using a digital speedo!.

Manufactures claim a 10% tolerance, this is usually placed on the less speed side but not always.

Any change to tyre profile can have you out by 5kmh, infact any change in tyre brand could do this also, any change in rim size and it could be out as much as 15kph.

tyre pressure? well you may joke but it could be 3kph.

Driver height, you may laugh but a short driver may see 3-5kph difference to a taller driver just thought the angle he is looking at from the needle to the face.

This 3kph is a joke, any look away from the dash and your breaking it, follow a cop and see if they break 3kph.

Also mathematically speaking 3kph over 100 kph is nothing, the same 3 kph over 50 kph is 50% more likely to happen due to percentages.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #21
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Lets clear some things up if your not using a digital speedo!.

Manufactures claim a 10% tolerance, this is usually placed on the less speed side but not always.

Any change to tyre profile can have you out by 5kmh, infact any change in tyre brand could do this also, any change in rim size and it could be out as much as 15kph.

tyre pressure? well you may joke but it could be 3kph.

Driver height, you may laugh but a short driver may see 3-5kph difference to a taller driver just thought the angle he is looking at from the needle to the face.

This 3kph is a joke, any look away from the dash and your breaking it, follow a cop and see if they break 3kph.

Also mathematically speaking 3kph over 100 kph is nothing, the same 3 kph over 50 kph is 50% more likely to happen due to percentages.
Every car I've ever driven/owned has over estimated the speed by betweek 5-10 kph. Never driven a car that underestimates though.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #22
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

A bit moar light hearted reading...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11401712

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11401156
Old 29-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #23
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best way to calculate your speed mathematically and to be very accurate is to measure the wheels and do some maths.

Measure the height of the wheels in inches, times that by 3.142 to get the rolling diameter, divide that by gear ratio ,both final and each gear is possible.

this gives you a MPH at 1000 revs, times that by 6 or whatever revs you want eg. 3.5 for 3500rpm.

This is old school and only done in imperial inches but easily converted to KPH by the 1.66 rule.
Old 29-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Best way to calculate your speed mathematically and to be very accurate is to measure the wheels and do some maths.
Or do it the lazy way like I do.

Analogue and digital at the same time, check them with GPS...99% correct

Sit back and relax
Old 29-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #25
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Don't try and confuse this for anything else than it is, revenue raising be it thru fines or income tax or GST. They do not care about safety or drivers not watching the road, it's just money. What if every time you got done for speeding you had to do a defensive driving course or take some unpaid community service. That's right they don't care if you repeatedly speed cause it's more money and that's the reason they do it. QLD is the most expensive place to live and now they want to add to this. I pay nearly $4000 a year for land rates with water and than its over $1000 a year to register a v8 and my house insurance is $3000 a year because I live in a Cyclone area. Now we have less weather problems than Brisbane and yet where stung with high insurance. QLD, beautiful one day, shafting you every way possible the next.
Old 29-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #26
Road Games

Or get a GPS...
Old 29-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #27
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This latest speed reduction tolerance is nothing more than a blatant revenue raising at its best.
Good on ya, Premier Pallasha. Screwing over the average Queenslander.I definitely won't be voting Labour at the next election.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #28
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isnt it over 100 mill that police raise through speeding fines each year?, does that money go into road safety or victims of crime like bromwins chopper lift to safety?.
Old 29-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #29
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Sort of ***** you but when a car with cruise control will run past its set speed enough to get you a fine, but only on certain grades. They focus so much on speed and not enough on good observant driving which is the root of good driving. To me speed should be the 2nd thing you worry about besides watching your surroundings and oncoming cars. Driving on some of those motorways demands 100% focus on the road and surroundings with the odd glance at the speedo. They say reading texts is dangerous because it takes your eyes off the road, well so does looking at your speedo every 10 seconds
Old 30-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #30
LTDHO
The one and only

I think it funny that QLD'ers find this BS where as us Victorians find the normal.

Everyone knows that these are to raise revenue and there is nothing you can do about it.
It's the perfect crime, so easy to catch drivers unaware and pocket from it.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post