Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #31
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30487256
I don't claim know all the facts or the nature of the incident... but why couldn't the cop have aimed for the attacker's leg? And why did he have to fire so many times (four from what i have heard)
A cop told me once that it is potentially dangerous to do that as it is easier to miss therefore you get a stray bullet. In that time when you're aiming for the leg they could attack you.

Also getting shot in the leg isn't any good especially if they have a gun, as it won't stop someone from firing back.

When they draw their gun it is more than likely to be a lethal shot for this reason.

As to why it took so many shots? Who knows but some criminals are just plain insane and keep going at you.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #32
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like i say no good bringing knifes to gun fights
mytgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #33
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 bad ef
like i say no good bringing knifes to gun fights
Like the stupid bastard over here in NZ who tried to rob a gun shop with a knife a few months ago. No suprise what happened there, the shop owner got done with unlawful discharge or possession of a fire arm or something along those lines, good to see the victim wasn't treated as the suspect for once.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Like the stupid bastard over here in NZ who tried to rob a gun shop with a knife a few months ago. No suprise what happened there, the shop owner got done with unlawful discharge or possession of a fire arm or something along those lines, good to see the victim wasn't treated as the suspect for once.
I think it's more funny that he got done for unlawful discharge or possession of a fire arm in a gun shop. Well the possession bit anyway. :
Old 13-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #35
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't claim know all the facts or the nature of the incident... but why couldn't the cop have aimed for the attacker's leg? And why did he have to fire so many times (four from what i have heard)
ah yes, the good old faithful.
I'll give you a gun, then I will seriously try to kill you and see how good your aim is in the middle of me attacking you. No amount of training can stop an adrenaline dump and the fight or flight reflex.
You don't shoot until it is necessary to save a life, then you shoot to kill. If you don't need to shoot to kill then you shouldn't be shooting at all. You also shoot until the threat is stopped, so if you wound him and he is still coming, shoot again.
I do feel sorry for the offender. If 'The System' spent less time trying to look after itself and more looking after the people that require it, that guy may have received the treatment he needed. Instead he finished up the way he did.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #36
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
You don't shoot until it is necessary to save a life, then you shoot to kill. If you don't need to shoot to kill then you shouldn't be shooting at all. You also shoot until the threat is stopped, so if you wound him and he is still coming, shoot again.
This was more or the less the way the cop I spoke to put it to me. Just forgot the words when I tried to explain before. So basically when you shoot you intend to kill aka lethal force.
Old 13-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #37
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

The real issue here is the pathetic way our governments approach treating and caring for people with mental illness. A top bloke got stabbed and died the other day just a few blocks from me in Sydney by a paranoid schizophrenic, and this guy in Perth is the latest of many who have ended up being shot by police officers left with no other choice, yet no one's interested in spending money on mental health.
BUT as soon as a P plater crashes a car..............
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #38
LTD Ute
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can say, is I feel sorry for both of them.
Mental illness is NOT a willfull act, and the poor cop
will have to deal with the taking of a life for the rest of his life.
All too often people like cops, ambos and nurses are asked to deal with the
shittiest of scenarios and are expected to respond with the utmost
legal correctness, or suffer the personal and emotional doubts that the
susequent investigations will inflict. You don't want to lose a life on your shift!
The CAR has F-all to do with it, it's the unfortunate
circumstances they both played out together.
A sad tale indeed.
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #39
LTD Ute
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6t
The real issue here is the pathetic way our governments approach treating and caring for people with mental illness. A top bloke got stabbed and died the other day just a few blocks from me in Sydney by a paranoid schizophrenic, and this guy in Perth is the latest of many who have ended up being shot by police officers left with no other choice, yet no one's interested in spending money on mental health.
BUT as soon as a P plater crashes a car..............
TOO BLOODY TRUE!!
I know, I'm in the business!
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #40
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
The recoil effect of a handgun was once described to me as being like a shotgun with no butt.

It's a very hard thing to control, not like in the movies. Police are taught to aim for the centre of the person as that is the largest area, and you are more likely to get a hit.

How many people have tried air rifles at the show (ok I know their sights are often rigged! LOL!) but have only been 3-4 metres away from a target, been concentrating and standing still and still missed? I know I have, and I was a keen shooter when I was younger!

Imagine the person coming at you with a weapon of any sort, and you having a powerful handgun, drawing quickly and shooting. Mate if I were a police officer and someone was coming for me, I would empty the whole clip, if that's what I had to do to make them stop!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #41
SVR73
Mr Polish

I grew up around many high powered guns including M16's as my dad is a former australian pistol and rifle champion and top 10 in two world shooting comps (paris and USA)

We had many, many guns and as I was an avid shooter for all of my childhood, I can understand how much control etc it takes sometimes, especially with the big ones and during moments like this copper went through

Such a shame that so many fatal gun, car and other incidents are happening in this country these days
Old 14-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #42
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
Such a shame that so many fatal gun, car and other incidents are happening in this country these days
If the guy wasn't such a ******** it's safe to say that he probably wouldn't have been shot! He attacked a police officer with a knife what else would you expect?

If you plan on attacking an officer with a knife, plan on ending up dead y0!
Old 14-01-2007, 12:37 AM   #43
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Like to see how you would react if you had a physco with a knife coming at you out:
I would have no choice but to shoot the guy in self defence. But 4 times seems a little excessive unless the other 3 missed. Surely a single shot would be enough. However, I can understand the reasons why it is impractical and even dangerous to aim for a leg or arm due to the small size of the target area.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 12:39 AM   #44
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
The recoil effect of a handgun was once described to me as being like a shotgun with no butt.

It's a very hard thing to control, not like in the movies. Police are taught to aim for the centre of the person as that is the largest area, and you are more likely to get a hit.
A well balanced personal firearm like a pistol isnt that hard to control, it would defeat their purpose if they were. At a range, with practice its quite easy to hit the X ring repeatedly. Its calm, theres no stress, no imminent threat.

What screws up your aim in the field is the adrenaline you get from a violent situation, pure and simple. Your hands shake, your breathing becomes rapid, you need to act fast(most often). You offset that with training, training, and training. The training is such that you act automatically, and hopefully, end up going home, instead of to the morgue.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #45
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would have no choice but to shoot the guy in self defence. But 4 times seems a little excessive unless the other 3 missed. Surely a single shot would be enough. However, I can understand the reasons why it is impractical and even dangerous to aim for a leg or arm due to the small size of the target area.
You obviously haven't come across a person who is crazy in your life. I smacked someone in the head with a broom until it broke in two places, they were ****ing out blood and they still wanted more.

Adrenaline is a crazy thing and it's free!
Old 14-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #46
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another case of underestimating the ammo requirements

As reported earlier this week, some dirt bag who got pulled over in a routine traffic stop in Florida ended up "executing" the deputy who stopped him. The deputy was shot eight times, including once behind his right ear at close range. Another deputy was wounded and a police dog killed.

A statewide manhunt ensued. The low-life piece of human garbage was found hiding in a wooded area with his gun. SWAT team officers fired and hit said low-life 68 times.

Now here's the kicker: Asked why they shot the guy 68 times, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd told the Orlando Sentinel...get this.

"That's all the bullets we had."

God bless Sheriff Judd!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #47
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
God bless Sheriff Judd!
Amen to that.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #48
gngtho
Banned

well im with the officer to many times you here of things like this but any time any one breaks the law the forst thing you here is ohhh i have a mental illness and they get away with bloody murder so to speak. I think the justice system ha to take a good hard look at what monsters they are letting roam around, and do something about it.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #49
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

good....hope it hurt