Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2022, 02:33 PM   #31
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: What determines "End of life" with cars?

I honestly reckon it’s an emotional decision for most, who then attempt to justify it with other nuances.

The work Ranger with dead turbo, I can sort of understand but would be questioning the choice of workshop/methodology if it was experiencing sequential failures. Most shops have preferences in brands and repair scope; the outliers don’t get such good “project management” but purely reactive repairs.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 02:49 PM   #32
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I honestly reckon it’s an emotional decision for most, who then attempt to justify it with other nuances.

The work Ranger with dead turbo, I can sort of understand but would be questioning the choice of workshop/methodology if it was experiencing sequential failures. Most shops have preferences in brands and repair scope; the outliers don’t get such good “project management” but purely reactive repairs.
Wasnt my car, work car. It had done 3 intercoolers in the past. I was nice to it, but being the only service vehicle in the fleet with a towing rating (the other 3 were L300s with 1200kg towing ratings) any job requiring a trailer mount cherry picker, machinery trailer with an electric scissor lift on it etc, it was on me. So that was pretty much weekly. So frequent 2t behind a 2.2 ranger, im not saying anything bad about the car, clutch was original and still great, but towing reasonably heavy in traffic and hilly areas took its toll on that little motor. Had say it been say road tripping twice a year on the highways with 2 tonne of caravan on the back, im sure the thing would have been trouble free for a very large amount of kays.
But obviously for the company i worked for, every day off the road is profits not made.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #33
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was watch a video on the Hidden rust on a C3 Corvette, nothing shows on the outside due to the Fiberglass bodies.

The amount of work required to repair says to me most of these cars are end of life, though there are enthusiast's that will enjoy the task in their workshops at home, as you cannot put a price on that time
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 03:31 PM   #34
hayseed

I've got a Truck with Three & a half Million KMs on the Clock & still earning It's Keep..!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I've got a Truck with Three & a half Million KMs on the Clock & still earning It's Keep..!!
Unequal comparison, a lot of light vehicles are now being made “wear out” earlier.
Either that or their owners aren’t treating them properly (poor maintenance / performance chips)

I could also imagine heavy trucks lasting a lot longer when drivers don’t flog the coit out of them,
aiming for good fuel economy and 90-95 kph might add a ton of life back into the mix.
Just a theory I have but when you treat your equipment right, it becomes a lot more reliable.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #36
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
My Festiva was written off at 201,000km.

At the time it still drove like new, felt like new, didn't leak, had factory economy, factory clutch and the only major servicing I did was a few batteries, front discs, an AC re-gas and rear bearings.

All things being equal it would have easily reached 500,000+ km if I had kept it.

I now drive a 9 year old diesel I30. It just had its 290,000km oil change. It is still going strong. Gets amazing economy, blows a bit of smoke only if I floor it, doesn't leak, doesn't let me down and the only thing I have changed was a new battery about 3 years ago and a new clutch at 250k.

I will keep driving that till it dies or someone smashes into me. It is worthless to anyone else but does everything I need without fuss.

Having said that - car longevity is luck of the draw. I think it has less to do with how a car is treated and more to do with luck. Sure you can abuse a car and it will let you down, but lots of people also take good care of their cars only for them to be always in for repairs.
Hearing that,we bought this little Mitsi in 2005 so coming up 17 years of ownership,little 1.3 manual of 97 vintage that gets used soley to get me to work (60 k round trip) then as i work 4x4 roster gets parked up until next round,i change oil/filters once a year and again once a year give it a polish/wax,years ago did cambelt since then replaced front shocks and thats about it thing just keeps on keeping on,we have a 6 month WOF inspection over here for things this old and its never failed one yet If asked on my deathbed what was the most memorable car ive owned it wont spring to mind but it sure is a trusty wee runabout.One of those cars thats worth far more than its $ value which is around nothing
Old 10-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I've had my 2004 Black Euro for 8 years, it's spent 7 of those with no carport or garage..........but unlike certain ethnic types here I do wash and polish it sometimes
I reckon if I gave this thing a wash it'll still have better paint than my Fiesta

Note the Ford badge is still blue (must have been because it was built by Kia), even though its been sitting in the sun for 23 years.

The headlights aren't even yellow, they're just covered in some nasty mildew

That thing went 130,000km between oil changes, and it still lived to around 280,000km until I killed it 4x4ing.

If you can find one of those WF Festiva's still running with rego, it would be the perfect candidate for a ****box rally car.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2022, 05:06 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sort of related to this thread, Victorian Government is doing an incentive program where they'll contribute $5000 to people aged 18-25 in regional areas of VIC to update their car to something safer to get old ****boxes off our roads:

Quote:
What is unsafe2safe?

unsafe2safe is a trial program aimed at transitioning young Victorians into a safer car, reducing their crash risk and contributing to cutting road trauma amongst one of our most at-risk groups.

Up to 1000 young Regional Victorians, aged 18-25, who own a vehicle over 16 years old with a poor safety rating will take part in the $6.9 million trial that provides a $5000 subsidy to replace their old cars with newer, safer vehicles.

One of the priorities of Victoria's Road Safety Strategy 2021-2030 is to remove unsafe vehicles from our roads. One way of doing this is to facilitate access to vehicles with advanced vehicle safety technology. It can be the difference between walking away versus ending up in a hospital or worse.

Participants can purchase a safer, newer, eligible vehicle by paying the difference between the $5000 subsidy and the price of the safer, new car – leaving their older, unsafe car with the dealer for scrapping. The dealer will arrange for the older, unsafe car to be dismantled to ensure it doesn't return to the roads so that the crash risk won't be transferred to another person.
https://engage.vic.gov.au/unsafe2safe

Its only targeted at youth at the moment in a limited trial program, but something like this suddenly increases the buy price of every 18-25 year old's old ****box to $5000 and the 'end of life' for a car is going to come down significantly from what we're talking about in here

If its somewhat successful you'd imagine it gets expanded to everyone and those of us who love a good ****box fleet like myself are going to find ourselves limited for options for old ****boxes on the used market, or even wreckers for parts if they all end up going through the crusher.

Or you'll end up losing a lot of our motoring history with all the 1990s/00s stuff departing through these programs.
Old 10-08-2022, 05:31 PM   #39
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The First Regional Dealers' Youth Pwnership Grant
Old 11-08-2022, 12:05 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Franco Cozzo;6733346]2009 WS Fiesta CL

It basically oxidised at around 5 years old, the bonnet and the Ford badge went first, then the roof is as it sits now.

Now the clear is peeling off the rear wing.

Yet my Focus which is white hasn't had its clear coat peel or oxidise and its 12 years old.

Neither has my Caprice, which is 25 years old - except the door because its from a different car

So as far as I'm concerned at 90,000km our humble WS Fiesta CL is 'end of life'

Sorry thought you were talking about BMW or Merc - still that bad on the Fiesta, Magnas are what I think of first for paint like that..

White Paint on the Focus probably doesn't have a clear, a lot of white cars don't use a clear coat.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:08 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post

Sorry thought you were talking about BMW or Merc - still that bad on the Fiesta, Magnas are what I think of first for paint like that..

White Paint on the Focus probably doesn't have a clear, a lot of white cars don't use a clear coat.
I think Ford's 'Frozen White' does have a clear coat, someone more learned than me might be able to chime in.

Mind you I had an alpine white 7 series and the paint on that thing was mint so I'm guessing white and silver cars hold up much better to our weather than anything else.

Though wouldn't mind a nitro or octane FG ute at some point in my life, I saw a similar colour B series, looked like Nitro but lighter and that looks absolutely mint too.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #42
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

7-series BMW is going to use a much more stringent paint schedule than a Fester. Better quality paint, more of it.

Paint failure should not write a car off, BTW. That’s an inditement upon how much we’re borrowing against future obligations.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:35 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
7-series BMW is going to use a much more stringent paint schedule than a Fester. Better quality paint, more of it.

Paint failure should not write a car off, BTW. That’s an inditement upon how much we’re borrowing against future obligations.
Too bad the rest of the 7 series wasn't as robust as it's paint coat

I think the humble Fiesta is going to become a spare car.

Either that or a grand sale on ****boxes, get my Focus and Fiesta as a package deal for $2000

If the paint was in good condition the car is only worth about $5000 if that, because of the paint drop a zero off that.

Timing belt is due at 180,000km but it's technically due on age, kinda reminds me how when I started my career at a dealership we did a timing belt on a car with 18,000km on the clock because of age

Given it needs a timing belt you need to do the tensioner and while you're in there you might as well as do the water pump then by the time you buy all that and pay for labour you're into four figures for a car worth $500.

For 99% of people that's the 'end of life' I reckon
Old 11-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #44
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a Tezza yesterday in that Horrid greeny gold colour, looked like side had been touched up with a spray can...

my mates 66 Mustang has pretty average paint, but kind of makes it look cool.

Nah paint doesn't write off a car, the amount of nuffies that will door cars at will.. its hardly worth it sometimes
Old 11-08-2022, 01:16 PM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I remember when the old man wouldn't touch a car with over 100,00km on it, that was in the 80's.
When I got my licence in the early 90's 200,000km was the cut off.
Then in 2015 I bought an R50 Pathfinder with 300,000km's on it and it was bulletproof, my mate still owns it today.

I've since moved on from using Km's as a gauge of life expectancy as modern driving habits see much more use out of much newer cars and didn't hesitate to buy my current FG with 300,000 on it, still drives well and everything works as it should.
Typical Ford saggy seat and door card material which annoys the **** out of me but its not worth fixing as it doesn't hamper its use.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #46
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I remember when the old man wouldn't touch a car with over 100,00km on it, that was in the 80's.
When I got my licence in the early 90's 200,000km was the cut off.
Then in 2015 I bought an R50 Pathfinder with 300,000km's on it and it was bulletproof, my mate still owns it today.

I've since moved on from using Km's as a gauge of life expectancy as modern driving habits see much more use out of much newer cars and didn't hesitate to buy my current FG with 300,000 on it, still drives well and everything works as it should.
Typical Ford saggy seat and door card material which annoys the **** out of me but its not worth fixing as it doesn't hamper its use.
My old man was the same. He always bought new and sold before 100k. Similar mentality i guess. Back in the 70s and 80s 100k was when major service components needed replacing or something. My old man was a bit iffy when i bought my 08 bf in 2010 with 72k on it saying in 2 years it will become expensive. Im guessing cars have come a long way. Bar normal servicing, its been trouble free. Id hardly consider a cracked radiator at 199k a reason to get rid of the thing. Doesnt burn oil or the green cordial. Yeah its got the standard issue family car wear and tear inside and out, but everything works. I dont drive much, so im not concerned about having the latest and greatest if its just going to be predominantly keeping my driveway company.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2022, 02:14 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The missus's 2014 Captiva is nearly end of life, and it's only got 115,000 km on it and been babied all it's life. Still on it's original brake pads. But it's an absolute sheetbox. It's basically falling apart, timing chain already stretched, tensioner rattles like crazy on start up, vct phaser codes, supposedly "fixed" under warranty, runs like an absolute bag of dog crap, only one power window works after the others were supposed "fixed" under warranty, DSC and ABS faults, paint on plastic bits completely gone to chalk etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.

Cannot believe a vehicle that has been well maintained and has had an easy life could possibly be so rooted at such a low amount of km. Captiva's deserve their reputation 100%. Just a horribly built bag of dog poo.

Just have to get rid of it. Even the mechanic suggested to not even bother fixing it lol.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2022, 02:36 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The missus's 2014 Captiva is nearly end of life, and it's only got 115,000 km on it and been babied all it's life. Still on it's original brake pads. But it's an absolute sheetbox. It's basically falling apart, timing chain already stretched, tensioner rattles like crazy on start up, vct phaser codes, supposedly "fixed" under warranty, runs like an absolute bag of dog crap, only one power window works after the others were supposed "fixed" under warranty, DSC and ABS faults, paint on plastic bits completely gone to chalk etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.

Cannot believe a vehicle that has been well maintained and has had an easy life could possibly be so rooted at such a low amount of km. Captiva's deserve their reputation 100%. Just a horribly built bag of dog poo.

Just have to get rid of it. Even the mechanic suggested to not even bother fixing it lol.
I had one still under warranty come into my workshop for a faulty instrument cluster, thats the sort of **** you see and expect on 25 year old cars.

I've never in my career experienced such a ****box of a car as the Captiva, I'm not particularly fond of VAG but holy crap the Captiva is hands down the worst ****box on our roads that rattle themselves to death.

The Captiva is a good corporate lesson how Holden decided to start sourcing cars from Daewoo/'GM Korea' instead of Opel to fill gaps in its range in a cost saving initiative, they started slapping their name on all sorts of ****boxes.

A brand is something thats real hard to build and earn a good reputation, but its very easy to lose through a few ****ty decisions.

If you were an 'average joe' (see 99% of people who buy new cars) and you bought a Captiva new, you'd have a bad taste in your mouth, as far as you're concerned Holden are horrible, you don't think of it as 'Oh its not Holden its actually 'GM Korea'.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #49
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Around Sydney it’s what I would generally call a “meth mum” car. Questionable roadworthiness, lightly battered exterior, grimy inside including child seats(s), slapdash parking habits.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:46 PM   #50
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I had one still under warranty come into my workshop for a faulty instrument cluster, thats the sort of **** you see and expect on 25 year old cars.

I've never in my career experienced such a ****box of a car as the Captiva, I'm not particularly fond of VAG but holy crap the Captiva is hands down the worst ****box on our roads that rattle themselves to death.
Thats why when you search for late model used cars under 15k its Holden Cruze and Captiva that come up.
They sold **** loads but are worth virtually nothing now despite being relatively modern in appearance.
When we bought the Wifes Mazda recently the number of tidy low k Cruze on the market was eye opening. The Wife asked if they are value for money and I said if they we're as good as their competitors they'd be priced to represent that.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2022, 02:50 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Thats why when you search for late model used cars under 15k its Holden Cruze and Captiva that come up.
They sold **** loads but are worth virtually nothing now despite being relatively modern in appearance.
When we bought the Wifes Mazda recently the number of tidy low k Cruze on the market was eye opening. The Wife asked if they are value for money and I said if they we're as good as their competitors they'd be priced to represent that.
Look how low KM and how cheap they are:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...E-AD-13243057/

SZ Territory is five thousand bucks more for a povvo spec RWD model.

Thats a red flag if you've ever seen one.

Second hand Kia Picanto GT goes for way more than these things and you can buy em new for sub $25K DA in todays extortion car market.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hey bro I'm looking to buy a second hand car with a budget of $20K

Make sure its got full service history and no red flags

There's a Holden Captiva in my budget

Holden Captiva:

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 11-08-2022 at 03:05 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2022, 04:33 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

The Captiva is a good corporate lesson how Holden decided to start sourcing cars from Daewoo/'GM Korea' instead of Opel to fill gaps in its range in a cost saving initiative, they started slapping their name on all sorts of ****boxes.

A brand is something thats real hard to build and earn a good reputation, but its very easy to lose through a few ****ty decisions.

If you were an 'average joe' (see 99% of people who buy new cars) and you bought a Captiva new, you'd have a bad taste in your mouth, as far as you're concerned Holden are horrible, you don't think of it as 'Oh its not Holden its actually 'GM Korea'.
GM used the 2.4 engine in heaps of different cars, as they all have the same issues over more than a decade. It's like they deliberately ignored it. Do a search on Holden Captiva 2.4 stretched timing chain and most of the results are Chevrolet related, and over many, many different years and models. It's like a built in failure.

Good luck getting Holden/GM to come to the party fixing a known fault now, they couldn't care less because who cares if Holden customers are ****ed off, they aren't exactly going to buy a new Holden now are they. And the GM Australia CEO has the nerve to say he hasn't heard a single instance of Holden customers being fobbed off and denied warranty lately, and they have done everything they can to help Holden customers
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #54
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hey bro I'm looking to buy a second hand car with a budget of $20K

Make sure its got full service history and no red flags

There's a Holden Captiva in my budget

Holden Captiva:

Never known a Holden Captiva owner who really like them, they seem to onsell them quickly. Be warned.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Never known a Holden Captiva owner who really like them, they seem to onsell them quickly. Be warned.
Oh don't worry, I've dedicated my life to preventing unsuspecting people becoming victims of the Holden Captiva

If you see me throw up a thread in the non Ford section about my new Holden Captiva then have me committed to a psychiatric ward and make sure they throw away the key.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #56
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Good luck getting Holden/GM to come to the party fixing a known fault now, they couldn't care less because who cares if Holden customers are ****ed off, they aren't exactly going to buy a new Holden now are they. And the GM Australia CEO has the nerve to say he hasn't heard a single instance of Holden customers being fobbed off and denied warranty lately, and they have done everything they can to help Holden customers

They're about to be put to the Test on That...LOL

They've just recalled 14,000 ZB Commodes for a brake Fault...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-...fect/101320318
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #57
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Hearing that,we bought this little Mitsi in 2005 so coming up 17 years of ownership,little 1.3 manual of 97 vintage that gets used soley to get me to work (60 k round trip) then as i work 4x4 roster gets parked up until next round,i change oil/filters once a year and again once a year give it a polish/wax,years ago did cambelt since then replaced front shocks and thats about it thing just keeps on keeping on,we have a 6 month WOF inspection over here for things this old and its never failed one yet If asked on my deathbed what was the most memorable car ive owned it wont spring to mind but it sure is a trusty wee runabout.One of those cars thats worth far more than its $ value which is around nothing
Funny you bring that to the conversation. When I met my ex-mrs she had the exact same car, but in 1.5 auto.

The thing was an absolute wreck when I met her... mis firing engine, body dented to the clapper, you unlocked the passenger door by giving it 3 hard hits just below the door handle, dodgy brakes, leaking exhaust etc. Didn't even have 100k on it.

She didn't care for it one bit, parked it anywhere, passed it around to all her friends. Didn't have an airbag either if I recall.

Her father proudly driving around in a brand new BMW that was always kept in showroom condition. I just couldn't get how a father could blindly allow their only child drive around in such a dangerous heap.

When I saw the relationship going somewhere we sold it for $900 and I got her a demo Focus... which was a situation of 'out of the frying pan and into the fire it turns out.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #58
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did she cause all the damage to the car in the first place? Was she treating it like crap because she was hoping daddy would give her the BMW?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #59
Kicking back

Some people simply dont put value towards cars. I worked with a bloke whos 1st car was a holden astra his step dad bought him. Every time i saw his car id ask about the additional dent or scrape on it and he'd pass it off as if wanging a parking post or backing into a parked car is normal. His best story with that car was when i asked him why the side mirrors were missing. Again like its nothing he says he wasnt paying attention mounted a curb and swiped the drivers side mirror off. So i asked as to why theres no passenger side mirror. Well, again like its nothing, when he swiped the first tree, he grabbed the steering wheel and swiped another tree on the passenger side. So that car got scrapped after he rear ended a ute and the towbar of said ute went through the rad. Old mates car was ****ed before that happened, but his story was more about how annoying it was driving home with a deflated airbag flopping around in his lap then the car stopped working.
Some people just do not know or understand the value of a dollar.
Made even worse by the fact his step dad then gave him his old 03 mazda 6. That thing went from being in good shape to a steaming pile of crap even quicker.
What i dislike the most is when someone says 'thats what insurance is for'. Insurance is something to have for genuine accidents, its not a free ticket to be pig ignorant.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #60
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
There is in fact a regular contributor on this forum that loves his - just don't refer to it as a Deawoo