Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Absolutely brillant! Holden vs Ford: witches-hats - TV commercials

Those cars handled well...for the times.
Easy to look back now and laugh at things like glowing praise of "radial tuned suspension" (which was actually an important advance) or other makers extolling the wonders of Macpherson Strut front suspension over ordinary shockies. We take so much for granted these days it isn't funny. To be blunt, grannies little mid range Corolla would out-handle even expensive supercars from thirty or forty years ago...

I love our old WB ute...but I'm under no illusions that our sons boring old Aurion could run rings around it in just about every area.
Except styling.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #32
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was a wee tacker this RTS thing was big for Holden, but even then it was common knowledge that they just had a name for what everyone else considered to be Business as usual.

I once saw a guy that put the RTS badge on his victa !
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #33
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love watching old car ads, when things like lap-sash retractable seat belts and four-wheel disc brakes were cutting edge. That's part of the charm of owning an old car, the fact that all your now-obsolete gizmos were considered leading-edge once upon a time...
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
When I was a wee tacker this RTS thing was big for Holden, but even then it was common knowledge that they just had a name for what everyone else considered to be Business as usual.

I once saw a guy that put the RTS badge on his victa !
It was actually a difference...the suspension angles meant the wheels stayed more "upright" in turns so them new-fangled radial tyres could keep a good contact patch on the road surface. All makers had to do it when radials became common, but by then Holden had cleverly stitched up the "RTS" advertising benefits first before any other makers thought of doing it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post