Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #31
guidedog

Default Re: Highbeams saves $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbats
I don't flash my beams because people should't be speeding. If they get booked it's their own fault.

I don't speed and my car is roadworthy so I have nothing to worry about.
so why are they still allowed to get u when u go down a hill in an 60 zone out of town which could be a 80 zone so u dont have to ride the brakes the whole way down .those sort of areas they target .but not in build up areas where i live and the p platers think its a race track.(ps i live about 45 min away from lakeside raceway where u can enter street driven cars on weekends and pay $200 to race around the track .awesome fun and legal .but most of p platers dont know about this .police or the government should have open days for them to go there .what r your thoughts on that .we were all young once and most of us would love to have the opportunity to do this .even at my age of 42 years
guidedog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if someone is above the limit and they are still driving in a safe manner , i will give them a flash, if they are driving like ratbags, i hope they like walking.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #33
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
I don't flash my beams because people should't be speeding. If they get booked it's their own fault.

So....

What about on sections of 6 lane highway that get their limits dropped then heavily policed?

Example: Great Western Hwy, Kingswood - stretch of dead straight road runs along Sinclair Ford and the other dealerships there: used to be 70, dropped to 60 and had cops sitting behind parked vehicles pinging drivers in that section twice (that I saw) in the first week after...

Many people who thought they were doing the right speed lost points and $$.

Fair? Hardly. Solution: flash.

Anyways, flashing should slow people down and that will save lives, if you believe the bleating of pollies, so that's a good thing that a good citizen should do, right?
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #34
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I have always flashed oncoming, Govco dont deserve a cent and they can go get.
Even if i save one bloke from an undeserving, unfair and pointless fine, i will be happy. And i get thanked for doing it by just about everyone i flash!

I can not will not help no copper fill their quota and line the coffers.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they put them in places where it's dangerous to go even a bit over the limit, people would have more respect for them.

I drive out from Rocky, and see the camera car parked, usually, near Gracemere where it's an 80kph zone and nice open road.
Go further inland on the Cap Highway at the moment and it's full of roadworks zones and guys wandering around working...and people drive like demons through the slow zones in the roadworks. Big signs say "Reduced speed limits enforced" and "police radar zone", but everyone knows that's a joke...the police never sit in roadworks out here, so people just zip through a 40 or 60 zone with impunity.

I did see a classic bit of poetic justice a while back though...I was on my bike and coming back from a ride to Rocky, and had slowed to the posted 40kph for a roadworks section when I was overtaken by a Falcon ute...and FPV of some sort I think...doing at least 100kph. He hit a dropped section of the road near a culvert up ahead of me that was being reworked with a bang I could hear even with earplugs in and a full face helmet on, and further up the road I saw him pulled over on the side of the road and inspecting underneath his car while a woman stood nearby on a mobile phone...hopefully he did some real damage...might teach him a lesson. Those signs are there for a reason that isn't always obvious, even when there's no workers around...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #36
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:

Same here, I have not ONCE flashed mine

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
So....

What about on sections of 6 lane highway that get their limits dropped then heavily policed?

Example: Great Western Hwy, Kingswood - stretch of dead straight road runs along Sinclair Ford and the other dealerships there: used to be 70, dropped to 60 and had cops sitting behind parked vehicles pinging drivers in that section twice (that I saw) in the first week after...

Many people who thought they were doing the right speed lost points and $$.

Fair? Hardly. Solution: flash.

Anyways, flashing should slow people down and that will save lives, if you believe the bleating of pollies, so that's a good thing that a good citizen should do, right?

The entire area had multiple road side sign boards pre-warning there was going to be a speed limit change from Colyton all the way through Kingswood .... these signs were in place for a good month prior to the speed change.

And since the speed change ... all signage was replaced accordingly and there's no areas where there is a lack of signage.

If you are silly enough to continue speeding are play ignorant and still do the 70 through there ... that's your own fault.

If you are not doing anything wrong ... you have nothing to worry about.
If you are knowingly speeding .... then you are taking that risk yourself ... and if you get caught ... cop it on the chin and deal with it.

I've been done for speeding before ... and I know it's been my fault ... so i cop the fine. I knew the risks involved.

I have no issue with the speed limits ... I have the issue with inexperienced drivers out there who seem to enjoy doubling the speed limit in built up areas and cause grief to other families when they screw it up.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #38
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
If they put them in places where it's dangerous to go even a bit over the limit, people would have more respect for them.
Absolutely spot on.

When do you ever see them on dangerous roads?

In Victoria they are inevitably unmarked Holden Captiva's or Commodore Sportwagon's parked on a nature strip or against the kerb on a 2-lane, 60km/hr safe road with good visibility.

I always flash.

They aren't catching people doing anything dangerous or stupid. They are raising money.
Old 19-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #39
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
In Victoria they are inevitably unmarked Holden Captiva's or Commodore Sportwagon's parked on a nature strip or against the kerb on a 2-lane, 60km/hr safe road with good visibility
that's the thing though - in victoria they stand out like beacons. anyone who cannot see them are probably so unaware, they are dangerous whether doing 20kph under or over

i do flash, because sometimes we can be in our own little world, but more often than not, they are so easy to pick that flashing the high beams is not required in victoria
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Molloy
Apparently If you just flick your lights on off instead of high beams you can't get done, that's wha I've heard anyway.
And I always flash the lights for oncoming traffic for speed cameras etc...
I have heard this also, but if a cop pulls you over he 99% will insist it was your high beams and not low beams. Your word against his, but his word will mean much more in a court room.

Then again, if you did flash your high beams and get pulled over, tell him you flashed your low beams, in the hope you get that 1% copper who accepts your answer.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Threads like this always present an interesting insight into the personalities and attitudes of our various members in their interaction with others.

I flash when there is a speed camera, an RBT, animals or kids next to the road, a stopped vehicle close to the road, slow heavy vehicles or caravans or anything else that may trigger an abrupt change in driving conditions.

It is about saving lives NOT obeying laws and applying penalties which seems to be a very difficult concept for some to comprehend........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #42
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think people flash their lights because it's illegal to do so. "Dazzle other road users with lights" or something very close to that. Also, you shouldn't be speeding to start with. I drive on the Bruce Highway (Sunshine Coast - Brisbane) for work, and the amount of times people will pass me in the point to point camera area going at least 120km/h after they've just slowed down for the first fixed camera is silly. There's no need for it. The difference in time would be about 4 minutes on a 100km trip going 120 instead of 110.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #43
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Threads like this always present an interesting insight into the personalities and attitudes of our various members in their interaction with others.

I flash when there is a speed camera, an RBT, animals or kids next to the road, a stopped vehicle close to the road, slow heavy vehicles or caravans or anything else that may trigger an abrupt change in driving conditions.

It is about saving lives NOT obeying laws and applying penalties which seems to be a very difficult concept for some to comprehend........
But I don't understand why you'd flash for an RBT, drunk drivers are incredibly selfish and totally disregard the safety of others, and the flash just warns them so they don't get caught. Don't you want 'em to get caught? If someone is driving too fast to safely slow down for an abrupt change in driving conditions then they probably shouldn't be on the road, and realistically RBTs are pretty obvious, I wouldn't say they were very abrupt.
Old 19-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #44
guidedog

i get p--- of when i sit on 110 on the highway (speed limit 110) with my cruise control turned on ,and having to constantly slow down or pass the guy in front of me that just cant keep a constant speed .that can course more accidents than 10 k over the speed limit.(i hate slow old drivers that think they own the road and slow down just to p--- u of. thats why there r speed limits so stick to them

Last edited by guidedog; 19-08-2012 at 05:31 PM.
guidedog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #45
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

RBT's are the best thing police can do ever do on the road, but getting done for 3 - 6k over is a damn joke. As for people never speeding or going over the limit in my opinion is staight out a lie, especially in vic where the speed limits are terrible.
All the highway patrol cars in vic or the gm cruze/Ford terri's don't display warning signs they just sit anywhere they want and pull great numbers for the gov.
If the government wanted to save lives, driver education at teen level would be a begining, it's a con and cash grab like most of the resent policys (10 years or so)..
Thanks to all the tru blues that do flash the drivers for any reason, we don't want people getting hurt but the fines in vic are a shame.
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
But I don't understand why you'd flash for an RBT, drunk drivers are incredibly selfish and totally disregard the safety of others, and the flash just warns them so they don't get caught. Don't you want 'em to get caught? If someone is driving too fast to safely slow down for an abrupt change in driving conditions then they probably shouldn't be on the road, and realistically RBTs are pretty obvious, I wouldn't say they were very abrupt.
Its not the breath test I'd be worried about, its the yellow sticker I might get because mr policeman doesn't like that P plate in the top left hand side of the windscreen or my cold air intake.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
No I want them to not drive when they are dunk.

Lets take two hypothetical examples:
1) Recidivist drink driver BAC always > 0.15. Usually unemployed and unlicensed and might just this once not get caught but even if they did it makes no difference to them.

2) Tradie going home from roof wetting or someone who has been to some function who may or may not be 0.05. The warning gives them a fright and they live to fight another day realising that they came close to an oops.
Getting caught will cause them huge problems with possible loss of job income which may lead to not only hardship for them but also their families.

The intelligent ones take notice and behave, the dumb ones do not.

Of course the standard reply to this is "But what if they have a accident because they are actually 0.05 (and not 0.049999999 which is legal)".
Yes anything is possible but this is really the same attitude as "I would not need to hit her if she just did what I told her to".
Just because some academic makes up a number and a mob of bureaucrats repeat it over and over again does not make it true, just or fair.

It comes down to how you see the world.

Everyone should be treated as bad until they are proven good.
Everyone should be treated as good until they are proven bad.

It is not black and white.

I see it as most people are good or have basically good intentions and helping someone back to the good path rather than punish those who may be slightly lost is the best way.

As far as the "Driving too fast for a change in conditions". Such myopic and naive thinking highlights a very low level of actual real world driving experience. Australia is a big place and not all of it is like where you are......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #48
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I flash my beams to others and its saved me many times when ive been a few ks over and people have flashed me,im no idiot driver but sometimes i creep over the limit.
I think its a good thing that is dying out over time.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #49
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would you flash if the cops were sitting in a school zone with there gun ???????? Think about it, no one should be speeding around schools we all know that but how is the hidden cop going to slow anyone down?? If we were to flash our lights the other drivers are gunna slow down and maybe save a childs life. Thats one to ponder
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #50
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was under the impression that it was illegal now? I mean the chances of being caught are slim to nothing, but still.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #51
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
It's un Australian not to flash your beams...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial
I've noticed a massive decline in the last few years about "warning" motorists of speed traps and just put it down to people getting increasingly lazy and self centered..
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Such myopic and naive thinking highlights a very low level of actual real world driving experience. Australia is a big place and not all of it is like where you are......
I reckon that these quotes pretty well sum it up. There's an awful lot of narrow-minded folks out there that are crap drivers and don't even know it. Some of them have apparently posted in this thread.

Maybe this is another Generation Y problem that was caused by Generation X's failure to teach them properly. Or maybe it's just the inevitable outcome of the growing nanny state mentality.

I particularly marvel at the twits that drive towards you on high beam and don't dip to low beam when you flash your lights at them. What on earth are they thinking?
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #52
Altern XR6

Flashing headlights of warnings and trucks giving you the, OK right hand blink to overtake has been outlawed for years now.

This was banned way-back in ?? 75 NSW..I think. It was done as is every way of getting more revenue, by saying it's a safety issue. Cops didn't have radar at that time so all the policies/police had to stalk in bushes and they got kinda p***ed off when they could not catch anyone, because good people were flashing lights all up and down the highway.

Once they passed their (safety) law on flashing lights, they actually started to trap people into flashing and then booking them on this new BS wal/Law, by putting police cars in one place and sitting in other hidden cop car miles away from placed car.

With, the truck drivers giving R/H blink for over taking it was about common sence and old truck drivers had a lot of it, enjoyed driving aswell knowing about truck engine speed, compared to cars. The COPS AND MEDIA touted this action was deceptive because all the truck drivers were seeing pink elephants and will give you the wrong signal, and crash into a pink elephant..? = more control for them in profits and less in self judgement and reliance on other good people that know the rules.

I still love the people that tout the law in a positive way.
It's all a game of money not responsible actions. NWO s**ks
Old 19-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #53
prydey
Rob

if revenue drops from cameras, the authorities don't see that as the cameras are working, but that they are in the wrong spots.

flashing lights is a personal choice. everyone has their reasons as to why they do or don't. to say it reflects on the persons character is extremely judgemental.

if someone lost a friend or family member due to a drunk driver, do you honestly think that that person would consider flashing their lights to warn someone of a RBT?? if it was the same scenario, but due to a speeding driver, would you expect them to warn others of speed camera's? regardless of whether you think they are for revenue or are actually effective, everyone has reasons for doing what they do.

for the record, i don't flash and never will again.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #54
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

I flash people that are obviously speeding even when there isn't a speed camera in hopes that they'll slow down. 9 times out of 10 it works and I feel like I've done my bit.

Alternatively, I do flash for mobile cameras too because there have been a few times where I may have crept over the limit by a few km and been saved. I find older folks don't flash me, or give a courtesy wave in thanks but rather, the younger drivers that appreciate it and return the favour.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #55
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
flashing lights is a personal choice. everyone has their reasons as to why they do or don't. to say it reflects on the persons character is extremely judgemental.
To say it reflects on their character is entirely reasonable. Everything you choose to do reflects your character, and you may rightly be judged by others for doing it!
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #56
V8 6I

If you get pulled over for flashing tell the cop you were preventing a crime(someone doing 4kms over) so you should get a medal not a fine
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #57
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

I flash my right hand blinker to cars that wish overtake me. I do it when it is safe and clear of oncoming traffic.

I see it has 2 advantages. 1. As the leading vehicle I can see a lot more then the vehicle behind me. 2. It signals that I am aware that the car behind me will be making a overtaking move.

If the vehicle is towing a trailer/caravan I also flash my lights when it is safely past me so the driver knows they can move back into the lane as soon as possible.

I thought it was just common courtesy.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #58
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Back when it was legal to use the R/H blinker to tell the following driver that it is ok to overtake, a friends son overtook a truck that indicated, but the truck was actually turning off the highway.
Drove under the semi-trailer. Dead at only 18yrs.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #59
GeZza200
EL Sleeper

I will always flash my lights for oncoming cars unless I see some knob that is actually speeding, they deserve a fine. Its the people doing 5k-10k's over that shouldn't be fined.
Old 21-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #60
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

FWIW I flash if I think its warranted, but if I can, for example, see 2 cars racing each other up the hill at speed limit plus, them no, stuff them. A licence is a priveledge, and not a right.

Got to admit though, am more inclined to watch motorcycle riders than cars for the "cop signal"....

Last edited by hawkgirl; 21-08-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: double up
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post