Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #31
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Things to do in Tasmania?

Handy thread as we are looking at a Tassie trip this year.

Cheers for the tips everyone - keep em coming!
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #32
ZGM86

Some good suggestions up here! I don't know a lot about the west coast or the north (other than Launceston), so it's good to see some other options.

Another one I missed if you or mum like the old historic towns and such - Richmond. It has the oldest bridge in Australia still in use, and is a very pretty little spot.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #33
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
LOL , and the goldy is a cultural experience , over rated , overpriced and over populated !
What's that got to do with the price of rice in China? I never recommended the OP visit the Gold Coast.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I passed the Spirit of Tasmania when going to NZ on the Dawn Princess cruise ship, I thought the spirit was a large ship.

We dwarfed it, is it a really rough ride on such a small ship?

Also whats the cost to take your ride over and how long does it take to drive from one side to the other of Tasmania?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #35
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I passed the Spirit of Tasmania when going to NZ on the Dawn Princess cruise ship, I thought the spirit was a large ship.

We dwarfed it, is it a really rough ride on such a small ship?

Also whats the cost to take your ride over and how long does it take to drive from one side to the other of Tasmania?
Much cheaper if you book early. I was dead keen on taking the porsche for a lap but last minute booking meant a stupid fee. So I opted for a renter. Nissan Micra. :-(
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I looked into it once and it worked out to be pretty costly. I think during off peak times they run only at night meaning you need to book a cabin or a reclining chair to sleep on.

I think in Summer they offer a day cruise so you don't need a bed.

When we went for a week a few years ago I think it only cost slightly more to fly and hire as opposed to getting there by ferry using your own car.

Wonderful place, 1 week was the express trip, 2-3 weeks there is ideal if you want to see it properly.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #37
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToCo View Post
Are you missing the last half of your post?
This time of year Tassie is beautiful, there is plenty to do, especially down the east coast. If you go down south, definitely check out MONA, its incredible. Also heading from Launceston to Burnie you have Raspberry Farms, Cheese Factories and Chocolate factories which shouldn't be passed up.

Feel free to take your negative useless post elsewhere buddy.
It was just a joke boy ok? no need to get your nose out of joint. I was there in 1974 and I liked it. Next time take a chill pill and don't get so cut.

Sheesh

Last edited by Papa Smurf; 18-01-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #38
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
just a bit of important advice...

when boarding the ferry dont get there right at the earliest time...else you will get through security and just sit in your car for two hours in the queue....and they don't let you back out for food or drink...

if it leaves at 9pm and starts boarding at 6pm then do the security thing at no sooner than 8pm.

you'll be very annoyed if you think you will be on the boat quicker.

it's the one thing they have still got very, very horribly wrong....the ferry load and unload procedure.
Take a swag and hit "Zilo" up for a night on his newly purchased Island !! Bring work clothes with you We travelled round the Island last year and got caught up in the fires. Very nice place, reminded me a fair bit of Victoria...........Climb the "Nut" at Stanley........
Old 18-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #39
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All this talk about tassie has me planning my next trip.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #40
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
For my partner, mother, myself, and car to go over is I think $1075 return.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #41
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I looked into it once and it worked out to be pretty costly. I think during off peak times they run only at night meaning you need to book a cabin or a reclining chair to sleep on.

I think in Summer they offer a day cruise so you don't need a bed.
Correct mate, I rang them yesterday and they were saying that December/January and around Easter - peak periods they run a day ship, Don't know how much that one costs but that trip only takes 9 hours to complete where as the night one takes 11 hours.

Don't know the cost difference between them, but either way I think I would rather the night one because you will still in theory get a sunet/sunrise in the middle of the bass straight, and sleep the rest of it off.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 18-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #42
zilo
BANNED

I just did the trip, took a Mercedes Vito van full of stuff.

$89 each way for the car...with only 8 hours booking notice by me.

It was a daytime trip, so passenger $228.

Pretty reasonable I thought for peak time.

car MUST be below 2.1 metres in height and 6 metres in length else it is deemeed as freight.

Trailers are deemed as freight, tandem trailer is nearly 500 bucks each way.

The federal govt subsidises private cars but NOT freight that's why some people get caught out.

The subsidy is in place because it is a continuation of national highway #1.

Also they made me hand in LPG bottles and all of my guns....

Last edited by zilo; 18-01-2014 at 11:36 AM.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #43
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just did the trip, took a Mercedes Vito van full of stuff.

$89 each way for the car...with only 8 hours booking notice by me.

It was a daytime trip, so passenger $228.

Pretty reasonable I thought for peak time.

car MUST be below 2.1 metres in height and 6 metres in length else it is deemeed as freight.

Trailers are deemed as freight, tandem trailer is nearly 500 bucks each way.

The federal govt subsidises private cars but NOT freight that's why some people get caught out.

The subsidy is in place because it is a continuation of national highway #1.

Also they made me hand in LPG bottles and all of my guns....
Checked online this morning and it was going to cost me and my car $430 return for a 21:00 departure. Alternatively $90 return with Jetstar and $187 for a 5 day rental with budget. Think I'll do that again. No worries about leaving my car while I'm off exploring too. I can leave Melbourne at 7:30 and be leaving Launceston airport just over a hour later.
Old 18-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #44
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Checked online this morning and it was going to cost me and my car $430 return for a 21:00 departure. Alternatively $90 return with Jetstar and $187 for a 5 day rental with budget. Think I'll do that again. No worries about leaving my car while I'm off exploring too. I can leave Melbourne at 7:30 and be leaving Launceston airport just over a hour later.

Sure....

just add airport parking fees 5 days (at tullamarine is $95...)

And the fact that you have zero insurance on the rental car for that price, so add another $120 for insurance....unless you are very brave.

Off course the rental was the Hyundai Getz...or variant.

Done it so many times I can recite it off by heart.

How about this one.....It's JETSTAR...(what could possibly go wrong?)

You park the car at 8pm and plan to fly back on the 6pm.

But...Jetstar flight is late by 2 hours...and...

You pay another 24 hrs in the long term car park....savings for the budget airline vapourized.

Oh...Melbourne you say? Better add the tolls to get to the airport.

The ferry wins....

Last edited by zilo; 18-01-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 18-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #45
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best thing about Tassie is it reminds me of the olden days on the mainland , uncongested hwys that qld residents would think were free ways with a corner or two thrown in , towns with history that haven't been selectively cleared for developers and very friendly people who know the value of the tourist dollar . Unlike my state which seems to think the tourist owes them a living and charge accordingly .
Like any holiday you can spend as much as you want but the option is there to have a 4 star trip on a beer budget .
BPXR6T , lol pretty average that chipper , mind you the pub up the road saved the day !
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #46
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sure....

And the fact that you have zero insurance on the rental car for that price, so add another $120 for insurance....unless you are very brave.

You pay another 24 hrs in the long term car park....savings for the budget airline vapourized.

The ferry wins....
You forgot to mention a couple of things like unruly kids and lack of legroom . For those who live in Victoria the ferry is a great option however the rest of us have to put up with the riff raff and fly cattle class .
I don't fly often and avoid it if I can ( 6'4 and flying do not mix ) but to see the beauty of tas it is worth it , before it is stuffed by progress .
Old 18-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #47
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
The best thing about Tassie is it reminds me of the olden days on the mainland , uncongested hwys that qld residents would think were free ways with a corner or two thrown in , towns with history that haven't been selectively cleared for developers and very friendly people who know the value of the tourist dollar . Unlike my state which seems to think the tourist owes them a living and charge accordingly .
Like any holiday you can spend as much as you want but the option is there to have a 4 star trip on a beer budget .
BPXR6T , lol pretty average that chipper , mind you the pub up the road saved the day !
Tassie is a beautiful State with an immensely rich history, but it's bat-s*** boring.

One shining light though, the roads, they're great fun.
Old 18-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #48
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
You forgot to mention a couple of things like unruly kids and lack of legroom . For those who live in Victoria the ferry is a great option however the rest of us have to put up with the riff raff and fly cattle class .
I don't fly often and avoid it if I can ( 6'4 and flying do not mix ) but to see the beauty of tas it is worth it , before it is stuffed by progress .
Or those of us who like in country SA and need to travel to Melbourne to fly oe drive.

Ferry is a experience really. Plus as I said the whole hire car for a p plater.

11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 18-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #49
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
I went in autumn either last year or the year before, can't remember. Picked up a car in Launceston. Then went straight over to Georges bay for a bit of bush walking to stetch the legs and some lunch. Got pulled over by the police for speeding 1hr after getting there. Being from Victoria I was expecting a hammering. The cop asked if I was a tourist. I said yep and he let me off with a warning. Pretty good considering in victoria it would have been a 1 month loss of license and an $800 fine for the same offence.

After wandering around St Helens we drove down to Bicheno and stayed the night. Up early the next morning to checkout Wineglass bay at dawn. We then cut across the midlands which was really nice seeing as it was autumn. Lots of postcard misty leafy towns. We kind of got lost in the midlands just cruising around generally trying to head west.

We Checked out the hydro scheme, hung out at Lake Burbury for a while, and eventually popped out at Queenstown. Done the tourist things around Queenstown. Then spent the night in Stahan where we went for a walk down at Maquarie heads at dusk. Very very windy. Next day we were up early again and heading for Cradle Mountain NP. On the way we stopped at Rosebery and lake Mackintosh. Lots and lots of tourists at Cradle mountain around by the time we got there. We ended up doing the lake walk which was great. We then drove up to Burnie and then west to Stanley for the night. Word of warning in Stanley. There is a fish and chip shop attached to a fishing coop there. We thought we were in for a treat and it was rubbish. Next day was our last full day so we headed east back towards Launceston. Very nice part of the country. We checked out lighthouses, beaches, nothing too strenuous. We stopped at a town called Penguin for lunch. Awesome bakery. Then continued east through Port Sorrell, eventually back to Launceston for the night. Early flight home the next day.
Me and the wife have been to peppers lodge up cradle mountain a couple of times, first time was last year i just love the place!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #50
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY View Post
Tassie is a beautiful State with an immensely rich history, but it's bat-s*** boring.

One shining light though, the roads, they're great fun.
When you reach a certain age the definition of boring changes . I grew up in the pre development qld where fun could be found without spending a cent . In my first trip up north port douglas didn't even have kerb and channelling . That happens to be the way I like it and I suppose that is why Tassie appeals to me .
Whether I could live there full time would be more due to the climate than cultural , but to visit oh wow , it ticks the boxes for old farts like me .
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #51
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Boring is a subjective term, of course a person's opinion of it will change. Especially given time. If you're after a place in Queensland that is cold and has apples, check out Stanthorpe, that's your ticket.
Old 18-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #52
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sure....

The ferry wins....
Not saying it works for everyone, but works for me. I park at my sisters place in Melbourne and take the shuttle to the airport. Not always but most the time when I take off on a trip. Yep it is a little ******* rental at the other end which is good and bad. More than once I've found a good road and wished I had the porsche or even the GT instead of a crappy Micra or Getz. But then I like that I can just leave it anywhere and not worry about the doors getting kicked in. Just have to figure out when I can get a week away from the office and I'm gone.
Old 18-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit View Post
For my partner, mother, myself, and car to go over is I think $1075 return.

We're looking at 4 cars and 4 people at a minimum but we'll be paying our own fares (unless its cheaper to book as a group?).

Also most importantly where can I get a good steak?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #54
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
We're looking at 4 cars and 4 people at a minimum but we'll be paying our own fares (unless its cheaper to book as a group?).

Book a dinner at the restaurant at MONA in hobart.

Wife and I had the 9 course degaustation.

Absolutely shlaggered after 9 glasses of wine too.

Angus eye fillet steak was fabulous.

But I have to mention that tassie is all about fresh seafood.

Crayfish, etc etc..world class really.
Old 19-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #55
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I thought moving to QLD would mean better prawns etc. Not a chance, Tassie seafood is the best in the world and even Melb has better seafood than QLD. I cant even find a royal market for gods sake..or any decent food market.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #56
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

All the major towns and cities have atleast one steak house, but you can get good steak anywhere, even from woolies if you pay enough. The above post is a better option.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #57
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Yeah I thought moving to QLD would mean better prawns etc. Not a chance, Tassie seafood is the best in the world and even Melb has better seafood than QLD. I cant even find a royal market for gods sake..or any decent food market.
You're not wrong. Check the menu at Ashmore steak and seafood for scallops and it refers to potatoes. My last visit to Tassie was Sept '12 and the dinner course included the REAL scallops.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #58
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit View Post
Calling out to the tassie residents here or people who know tassie..

Tourist things to do on 4 day holidays in tassie in around November this year.

Looking at taking my Mum over for her b'day, somewhere shes always wanted to go, and wants to go on a cruise ship so i will be throwing the fairlane on the ferry and want to do something special/have a great time. Not exactly a cruise ship but close enough to keep her happy She has made mention that she would like to go and look around Port Arthur where Martin Bryant done his thing.

Also what is the climate like in Tassie around mid novemeber? cool, hot, dry, wet?
4 days in Tassie in November.

Arrive on Spirit morning 1. Head south to Hobart (3 hours' driving from Devonport). Stop at two of Ross, Campbelltown or Richmond.

Afternoon at MONA.

Steak at the Ball and Chain.

Day 2

Catamaran cruise to Peppermint Bay or trip to Bruny for the Eco Tour out of Adventure Bay

Day 3

Port Arthur, the finest tourist attraction this country has. They don't let what happened one April day dominate 200 years of history, but I challenge you to stand where the Broad Arrow Cafe was and not get a tear in your eye.

Day 4

Return to Devonport via Bothwell, past Great Lake and down a fantastic road to Deloraine.

I've always had trouble finding value for money in Hobart accommodation, it is either very ordinary and cheap or overpriced and just average. The Grand Chancellor seems pretty consistent, though.

For a smaller boat, the Spirit sails well, it was built for use in the Baltic Sea originally. We use ginger tablets and pressure point wrist bands to avoid sea sickness.

We've stayed in both bunk cabins and the deluxe cabins (but I'm not so sure you want to share a bed with your mum!). Sleeping in seats is for the younguns.

4 days not enough, but you'll get a taste for the place.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #59
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
4 days in Tassie in November.

Arrive on Spirit morning 1. Head south to Hobart (3 hours' driving from Devonport). Stop at two of Ross, Campbelltown or Richmond.

Afternoon at MONA.

Steak at the Ball and Chain.

Day 2

Catamaran cruise to Peppermint Bay or trip to Bruny for the Eco Tour out of Adventure Bay

Day 3

Port Arthur, the finest tourist attraction this country has. They don't let what happened one April day dominate 200 years of history, but I challenge you to stand where the Broad Arrow Cafe was and not get a tear in your eye.

Day 4

Return to Devonport via Bothwell, past Great Lake and down a fantastic road to Deloraine.

I've always had trouble finding value for money in Hobart accommodation, it is either very ordinary and cheap or overpriced and just average. The Grand Chancellor seems pretty consistent, though.

For a smaller boat, the Spirit sails well, it was built for use in the Baltic Sea originally. We use ginger tablets and pressure point wrist bands to avoid sea sickness.

We've stayed in both bunk cabins and the deluxe cabins (but I'm not so sure you want to share a bed with your mum!). Sleeping in seats is for the younguns.

4 days not enough, but you'll get a taste for the place.
Thanks for the rough itinerary run down mate, going from the mona website and reviews ita defiantly on the list.

I am thinking of going on a sea plane tour while there, see there are aome cheapish ones. Old girl wants to go to somd water falls. I've just gotta be mindful of places with staps as ahw doesn't do steps very well.

11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 19-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #60
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Struan jet boat ride..maybe not such a great idea for an *old Girl* but who knows..
Go to port arthur. most definitely.. Do the ghost tour bloody brilliant..
just go for a drive.... I particularly loved the road from queenstown to hobart.
check out the cable lift upto the Nut at stanley.... if its not too windy,
There is a little 24hr bakery between devonport and hobart..I think the town is westbury
and the bakery was called andys..
just out of hobart there is a boat building place that is pretty interesting to watch you can even get involved.
You must go to DOO town.. just north of port arthur.. just for the novelty sight of every house having a name with doo in it.. eg Zan A Doo, Doo Me Hard, DooDoo Place
but thats all I can recall.. so that tells me a trip to tassie is called for.. I love that place.
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post