Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #31
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Its only been out for a short time ...
Btw the dollar difference would be the same for Porsche as well..
The cars possibly selling now where imported when exchange rate was around 95cents..
Around March is when cars will be affected with exchange rates..
The GT R could be in different situation tho..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #32
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nissan picked a price point AND a performance target and built a car to meet both..
and lied when it did not meet the performance target .
30 seconds is alot ground to make up if porches drivers can't get it within 24 seconds of nissans said time . Makes you wonder

Expecially when the porche out powers it ,wieghs less and according to the article out grips it.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #33
Bent8
Long live the GT !

I think the GT-R looks great and easily fits the bill as an affordable Supercar.

Not sure why they are comparing it with the GT2 though, it's clearly superior in every way (eg. lighter, more powerful), so of course it's going to be faster.

Also the Nissan is weighed down with electronics and lacks the low-down torque of the GT2 (maybe because of it's variable-vane turbo's).

Hat's off to the guy piloting the GT2....not an easy task driving a 523hp, rear-drive, rear-engined supercar round the most dangerous track in the world.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #34
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Personally the are COMPLETELY different cars and you wouldn't really have people shopping between them one is a rice-boy or boy-racer car whatever you want to call it and the other is a gentleman's/old school car.

I personally wouldn't buy either and have an Aston Martin because how often do you take them on a race track anyways......
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #35
AUIIForte

I've heard the Government is going to largely reduce the tax for importing cars from Japan, which makes the Nissan sound better, money wise, for us Aussies.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #36
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Hat's off to the guy piloting the GT2....not an easy task driving a 523hp, rear-drive, rear-engined supercar round the most dangerous track in the world.
On a somewhat wet track, no less.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #37
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
I cant see how a 15-30-50 grand jump really changes my point though really does it? Yes Nissan have a few glitches but how many company's don't when the bring out a brand new car? Ford/FPV for one had gearbox/clutch issues with BA etc..
Exactly, hopefully Nissans people are working on all the problems.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #38
SVD

The GT-R was targeted at the 911 turbo, not a GT2! all this test proves is: we will take currently the only released version of the GT-R and the best Porsche regardless of price and see what they can do. Porsche have had their chassis and motor for alot longer then the current Nissan chassis and engine, they have rung almost everything possible out of the GT2 as it stands and the Nissan is still in its infancy in retrospect.

It's been seen before with all new cars that have new chassis engines etc... that there will be issues due to these new technologies. What they really need to do is get the same GT-R they used for the 7.29 lap the same driver the same type of tire and the same conditions pull everyone there and say lets settle it, and let him do his thing, if he can re-do it then it shuts everyone up, if the car can't then you have your issue.

Magazines such as the ones that publish these stories have people who sponsor them and put in adds etc... so how would it look when a non-euro car does so well against the epitome of German engineering? We have the same issue with our press in Australia how in other threads alot of you guys complain Ford is getting the un-fair beating from our biased media, it would be the same over there.

So finally don't take this as the end as it's just another story.

this is a very good video to watch to see just what a GT-R can do with no mucking around.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QRgLhvpWQgE the second part is http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZ-Fxs2_zM
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #39
monaroCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
So finally don't take this as the end as it's just another story.

this is a very good video to watch to see just what a GT-R can do with no mucking around.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QRgLhvpWQgE the second part is http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZ-Fxs2_zM

Nissan GTR mfr Nurburgring time 7:29 at 164.68 km/h average
Porsche GT2 mfr Nurburgring time 7:32 at 164.07 km/h average

The same driver as your video. The driver is also very familiar with the track having just completed the Nurburgring 24hr race quite recently.

http://www.drivers-republic.com/flas...akkq3y4lq3.flv
monaroCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #40
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know this is an old thread but boys watch this its some funny stuff
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJT...eature=related
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #41
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
That video is great...Good find.
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #42
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guys I know its old and stuff but to be honest I think Nissan were too ambitious, I have had the pleasure of checking out a r35 gt-r and I can tell you the thing is as high tech as it gets the whole screen thing and lots of features to enable/disable. It is my belief that the r34 was brilliant but with the r35 Nissan have lost their way, you want a drivers' car you don't want all the high tech playstation stuff. My BA gives me a rush not because it tells me the lateral g force but because I am driving it not some fancy pants computer. The only driver assists its got is traction control and ABS. FD RX7 is the same its a drivers car, they don't even have traction control. You cant make fast cars moron proof, no matter how many computers you strap to it.

I admire things Nissan have done the way they are built is 5 star, nobody builds cars in a more refined way, I think the next model or two when they iron out the bugs (and remove some computers) it will be a weapon.

They do look damn sexy tho!

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #43
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

R34 had the G-meter as well..

The R34 GTR had all the bells and whistles aswell..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #44
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
R34 had the G-meter as well..

The R34 GTR had all the bells and whistles aswell..
well if Nissan were paying attention they would know that every r34 I have seen has alot of the computer stuff ripped out and stripped back. Why Nissan didn't build the r35 based upon the mods people doing to the r34 we will never know.

EXAMPLE : people were fitting lip spoilers to the B series Xr's - the G series has a ........ wait for it ... LIP SPOILER (well some do)

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #45
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:

LOL that is good, there is one with the same video for the xbox 360 too.

I would love to see a comparo video, and if they are really that close, an overlap view with the ghost of another car to see where each one is stronger
Old 30-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #46
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
The GT-R was targeted at the 911 turbo, not a GT2! all this test proves is: we will take currently the only released version of the GT-R and the best Porsche regardless of price and see what they can do. Porsche have had their chassis and motor for alot longer then the current Nissan chassis and engine, they have rung almost everything possible out of the GT2 as it stands and the Nissan is still in its infancy in retrospect.

Not really it took almost a decade to develop.
Old 30-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #47
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is hilarious!!! and more to the point scarily accurate....