Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #31
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: F6 or GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
Not having driven a s/c V8 yet, I would imagine you don't need to drive it 7/10 or above to put a smile on your face. I've yet to find a turbo car that dose that (having owned a few).
What about a 4-litre turbo car making near on 600Nm of torque at 2000rpm? It is actually the low down torque delivery and more accessible phwoar factor that makes the F6 such a fun/enjoyable drive. The V8 really needs lots of rpm in comparison to put some phwoar in your mouth, but even then really, the V8 doesn't have the bottom end rush that you can use all the time even just short shifting and staying somewhere remotely near speed limits, the V8 really starts winding up and getting impressive when you are in to go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200 territory. Just came from FG MK1 F6, to FG MK II GT-E.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #32
BOOSTEDGAZ
When in doubt-MORE BOOST!

I've had my SC FG GT for 6 months now and owned and traded a BF GTP to get it. At the time although a V8 man through and through decided to give the F6 a test as well and can honestly say it was a bloody hard call. The F6 is absolutely a weapon and as a daily driver i think the F6 is the better of the 2. The GT is faster but is so linear that it does not feel as fast as the F6. The F6 feels faster due to the boost surge and the harsh off boost / on boost transition
For me though i just could not get away from the GT heritage and the sound and feel of the SCV8 it is a true symphony of sound and horsepower.
Both cars are absolutely awesome and given half a chance i would own both it really comes down to personal preferance take them both for a drive and see which one rings your bells harder.
BOOSTEDGAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #33
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

If u go gt there's a even harder choice, manual or auto. The autos lightning fast and so smooth. And the manual.... Well skids
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #34
jmac

I think the hardest part is both overlap price wise on Carsales with some GTs bring cheaper for a new or demo than some listed F6s

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #35
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F6 can run 11s tune only.

I have seen a standard one go 12.28@113mph.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #36
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: F6 or GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME View Post
F6 can run 11s tune only.

I have seen a standard one go 12.28@113mph.
So does a GS/GT. Like has already been said, this thread is about more than just 400m.

Overall driving experience, and I mean overall, the GT takes the cake and eats it too! What does GT stand for again......GRAND TOURER

Cruising and hearing that blower and exhaust note, these things sound the business and mean the business. They sound hard and go hard! FPV came up with the complete package with this one my friends.
StrikeTwiceXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #37
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisosicko View Post
If u go gt there's a even harder choice, manual or auto. The autos lightning fast and so smooth. And the manual.... Well skids
Or some of us that want a manual end up with an Auto precisely because of your stated reason (and you can't get a bloody manual GT-E) plus lack of self control - my rears were completely shot at 12,000km, if I had the manual it would have probably been 1200km :-)

It would be nice to have both. The F6 does point a little better for sure though (the higher weight in the V8 engine bay also more weight up high and less central due to those huge cylinder banks and DOHC hardware sitting right up high and towards the sides) the F6 does use a fair bit less juice, and the F6 does make you go wow a lot more often if power rush is what you are after. And it does seem that the V8s do need to be making considerably a lot more power on the dyno to match F6s in real world performance. As in looking at times from the tuned boys etc. to run similar times the GT needs 450rwkw while the F6 with that huge torque rush brings in similar numbers from 350rwkw.

The 8 though sounds nicer and is something different, which I was ready for after BA Turbo, BF F6 and FG F6 already.

They are both pretty special in their own ways.

Last edited by mcnews; 02-01-2013 at 01:03 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #38
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo View Post
I was just figuring for an $800 dyno tune you can run high 11's in a GT

For the same timeslip you need to do a bit more to an F6 don't you?

And what are the cars worth?..............say $57 for the F6 and say $62k for a GT

I would think stock the F6 is better bang for ones buck.

For an 11 sec car they are probably lineball

For a 10 second car F6 again.

Of course there is more to life than 400m I know.............
Sorry,I miss understood this for a question....hence my reply not too long ago.

Seems you gave the F6 a clear win here bar the ability to be a Grand tourer.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #39
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: F6 or GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeTwiceXR6 View Post
So does a GS/GT. Like has already been said, this thread is about more than just 400m.

IMO Overall driving experience, and I mean overall, the GT takes the cake and eats it too! What does GT stand for again......GRAND TOURER

Cruising and hearing that blower and exhaust note, these things sound the business and mean the business. They sound hard and go hard! FPV came up with the complete package with this one my friends.
With the chance of sounding rude but not meaning to be the second paragraph is purely In Your Opinion.

Its a clear showing of how people rate cars this thread.Being in the pub I thought quarter mile times for performance would be excepted but it seems to be frowned upon somewhat.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #40
mcnews
Trev

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though. Just some is more informed and makes more sense than others, some has inherent bias with people shoring up their own purchase decision and subconsciously deluding themselves. It is for the reader to take all that into account and weigh up the merit of the opinion.

Last edited by mcnews; 02-01-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #41
shane3
FPV GT 0915

LOL Neither!!!! they are both a waste of money, you say I need "X" part for a GT and its $300, say its for a XR8 and its only $120, insurance is another pain in the butt, brakes rotors, badges, all this stuff is not worth it.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #42
Rodge
Banned

Pretty sure Wheels or was it Motor did a test on these twins a while back and it was a dead heat over the quarter mile. Each is hugely capable in stock form but I think what Dan was getting at is that the SC GT has a much more linear power delivery and its far easier to modulate power output into, through and exiting corners in a SC GT than in the light switch off/on power delivery of the F6 in which I've experienced some really hair raising off/on boost transitions mid corner. F6's power delivery makes it a real handful to drive fast around a track or on a twisty back country mountain road but in some ways that adds to its charm. Like Trev, I'd had a BA Turbo, BF2 Typhoon and an FG F6 and was ready to make the change and pleased I did.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #43
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: F6 or GT

Quote:
With the chance of sounding rude but not meaning to be the second paragraph is purely In Your Opinion.

Its a clear showing of how people rate cars this thread.Being in the pub I thought quarter mile times for performance would be excepted but it seems to be frowned upon somewhat.
It's all good buddy. I'm all for 1/4 mile times as well, trust me that's the first thing I will mention when discussing cars

The F6 is an Aussie icon of the highest pedigree to be produced here in Australia. Ford Australia made an absolute hum-dinger of a motor for the F6. Nowhere else in the world can any other car manufacturer claim to have a model by the name of F6, where as the GT nameplate is shared amongst many other manufacturers the world over.

She is a tough choice which I had to make as well. My brother had to make it as well, and with a house that contains a 423rwkw Supercharged GS, 335 GT-P, and a 40th Anniversary BF GT, the neighbours certainly know when any one of us comes home.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #44
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3 View Post
LOL Neither!!!! they are both a waste of money, you say I need "X" part for a GT and its $300, say its for a XR8 and its only $120, insurance is another pain in the butt, brakes rotors, badges, all this stuff is not worth it.
You're right, we're all dellusional and should be driving Prius's
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #45
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Resale ability, the GT will also retain a better return in time for resale. Either way, just get yourself into an FPV and keep these great cars moving forward into the future.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #46
Rodge
Banned

I reckon to a large extent its good when you're first coming to a new brand fresh-up to take advantage of market demand and special pricing situations.

If for example you were looking in N.Z. you'd have to pay early 80's for a good SC GT or there's this late model low mileage F6 in the very rare colour of Velvet which could be brought for late 40's. In this sort of situation it makes so much sense to take the option that's vastly better value for money IMO.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-528748387.htm, (probably the best value low km FPV on the N.Z. market IMO)....I want it in my collection but wife said some thing quite rude which I've toned down to... "ARE YOU NUTS ?????"

Last edited by Rodge; 02-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #47
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it were me (I wish I was that lucky) I would have a F6 in the driveway. First of all less weight over the front wheels for better handling over the v8. I would assume the F6 would be cheaper to register, insure and service but I may be wrong here. Then there is the best 6cyl ever produced in Australia, and it's even better in the F6 with cold air being shoved down it's throat!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #48
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You mentioned that you are into modifications, are you going to be modifying a brand new FPV? If so have you considered the cheaper XR/GS alternatives? By spending the difference on modifications you will easily end up with a far more car.

For you coming from a totally different brand and a totally different type of car I don’t think the intricate engine differences between the GT/F6 will make such a large difference, after all they are the exact same car built for the exact same purpose, the only difference is the engine powering them (even the power figures are similar). Both run similar drag and lap times, and both are awesome for modifications. Interior and exterior is identical (bar the bulge). If I was to summarise the difference between them for you I would say the following:

F6
  • Cheaper price - can be up to 10K or at least used to be
  • More fuel efficient – expect 2ltr/100km less in normal driving
  • Cheaper servicing – all part are shared with XR6T
  • No bonnet bulge – looks are a personal opinion
  • Relatively quiet engine note – I would say even stealthy for such killer performance
  • Better handling – 40+ kg less weight at the front, turn in is better
  • Turbo power delivery – read lots and lots of shove in the mid-range

GT
  • More expensive between the two – all because of FPV spending a ton on engine R&D
  • Less fuel efficient
  • Servicing is dearer – FPV only parts carry a premium
  • Bonnet bulge – is that your thing?
  • Loud engine note – yep people will definitely notice you, cop magnet
  • Worse handling – only the R-Spec gets the better suspension setup
  • Linear supercharged power delivery

I know which one I would go for
Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
jmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3 View Post
I've got the budget and they are both crackers. IMO nothing else in the price range matches it. I don't want an old pos someone else has flogged to death. Im after a performance and family friendly sedan.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #50
Rodge
Banned

dimka100 makes some good points many of which i agree with.

Couple of things though.
According to Autocar N.Z. who independently weighed the F6 and SC GT both with a full tank of fuel there was 27 kg's weight difference, that'll be in the engine and up high which does have an affect on the turn-in but turn-in isn't everything when it comes to handling and the F6 is all but bloody impossible to drive really fast through long sweeping corners., the ability to accuratly modulate out the correct amount of power mid corner simply isn't there due to its all or nothing power delivery. Try driving one fast on a racetrack like Hampton Downs with a really long sweeping right hander...honestly I reckon i'd be about 1 second faster around that racetrack in a SC GT compared to a F6 due to that power modulation issue AND the SC engines extra horsepower from 4,000 revs up, about an extra 40-50 rwkw's of peak power. I've been around Hampton Downs racetrack for some hot laps with Johnny Macintyre and anyone who thinks the SC GT's don't handle, doesn't know how to drive.

The other point that nobody has mentioned is that if you want proper supportive sports seats then the only model that comes with those is the SC GT-P..really the lack of lateral support in the rest of the seats and the firmness of the bolstering if you can call it that, is pretty lame IMO. That said, others seem perfectly happy with their standard FPV seats so its really a matter of personal taste.

Another thing to consider...Is 6/4 Brembo brakes something you're after ? If so its far better to buy a FPV model that comes with them (F6E, GT-P or GT-E), than get scalped $6K as an option on a F6 or standard GT.

On the other side of the equation, yeah the SC V8 is a lot dearer to service, 8.5 litres of very expensive oil, and a new air filter, (which if you stick with the FPV air filter is circa $200 just for the air filter ), each year means every service is expensive. Have I mentioned they like a drink of fuel too None of this seems to matter much when you get hard on the loud pedal though

Last edited by Rodge; 02-01-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #51
mcnews
Trev

And the four-cylinder Falcon probably has the best Apex speed of any Falcon ever made :-)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #52
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get the V8.

Coming from a 3 MPS into an F6 will get boring for you after a while. Trust me ! I know, as I went from an FG XR6T into a BL MPS because, for me, the FG was stale and poorly built.

A supercharged V8 will NEVER be boring and will ALWAYS be more desireable than an F6... even if the F6 may be a pooftenth quicker...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #53
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry,I miss understood this for a question....hence my reply not too long ago.

Seems you gave the F6 a clear win here bar the ability to be a Grand tourer.
no misunderstanding, it was a question. I don't know much about F6 mods
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
dimka100 makes some good points many of which i agree with.

Couple of things though.
According to Autocar N.Z. who independently weighed the F6 and SC GT both with a full tank of fuel there was 27 kg's weight difference, that'll be in the engine and up high which does have an affect on the turn-in but turn-in isn't everything when it comes to handling and the F6 is all but bloody impossible to drive really fast through long sweeping corners., the ability to accuratly modulate out the correct amount of power mid corner simply isn't there due to its all or nothing power delivery. Try driving one fast on a racetrack like Hampton Downs with a really long sweeping right hander...honestly I reckon i'd be about 1 second faster around that racetrack in a SC GT compared to a F6 due to that power modulation issue AND the SC engines extra horsepower from 4,000 revs up, about an extra 40-50 rwkw's of peak power. I've been around Hampton Downs racetrack for some hot laps with Johnny Macintyre and anyone who thinks the SC GT's don't handle, doesn't know how to drive.

The other point that nobody has mentioned is that if you want proper supportive sports seats then the only model that comes with those is the SC GT-P..really the lack of lateral support in the rest of the seats and the firmness of the bolstering if you can call it that, is pretty lame IMO. That said, others seem perfectly happy with their standard FPV seats so its really a matter of personal taste.

Another thing to consider...Is 6/4 Brembo brakes something you're after ? If so its far better to buy a FPV model that comes with them (F6E, GT-P or GT-E), than get scalped $6K as an option on a F6 or standard GT.

On the other side of the equation, yeah the SC V8 is a lot dearer to service, 8.5 litres of very expensive oil, and a new air filter, (which if you stick with the FPV air filter is circa $200 just for the air filter ), each year means every service is expensive. Have I mentioned they like a drink of fuel too None of this seems to matter much when you get hard on the loud pedal though
I reckon weight over the front end would be bugger all different, as being all alloy and with the engine mounted further back than compared to a cast iron blocked straight 6, the centre of gravity's wouldn't be much different if at all cause the V8 would have the weight centred further back towards the firewall.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #55
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I reckon weight over the front end would be bugger all different, as being all alloy and with the engine mounted further back than compared to a cast iron blocked straight 6, the centre of gravity's wouldn't be much different if at all cause the V8 would have the weight centred further back towards the firewall.
F6 has sharper turn-in and slightly less body roll due to its lighter weight but its all or nothing power delivery is harder on the chassis and in my opinion its a very very difficult car to drive really fast on a twisty road or racetrack.

I honeslty believe with its extra top end power and ability to accuratly modulate it out the SC GT would be measurably quicker round an average racetrack with an average driver....they don't overheat on the racetrack like F6's do either

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
And the four-cylinder Falcon probably has the best Apex speed of any Falcon ever made :-)
Careful, you're liable to get banned for talking common-sense like that around here
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #56
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It doesn't need to be all that different and pushed out all that much further to the sides to make a huge difference in handling. Every 335 GT I have driven definitely felt looser at the front than an F6, can feel it at the first corner taken with half a dose of anger. It's not terribly bad, but there is a very big difference in balance and feel, you also have to remember the reciprocating weight of the six engine is going up and down, and not out to the sides either, all these little things add up for sure. And of course those huge heads with all their valve gear hanging up high and wide would be most responsible. You also have a supercharger sitting up high bus as it is central that would be negligible impact. The better turn in of the six has been a common ingredient forever in Falcon, EB, BA etc. etc. Always been the same and clearly evident.

Last edited by mcnews; 03-01-2013 at 10:38 AM.