Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #31
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Re: wrecker pricing

I called to get a price on something for my eb but i was working on my car so i sent the missus down to get the part,the dirty dogs had doubled the price because it was a female,she told em to bash it hard.
They can do that kind of stuff if they want,if you arent happy then dont give them the hard earned,simple.
Its a dodgy old business,there are only 2 wreckers i trust in perth...
Like anything you have to find the good ones and dont go back to the clowns.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #32
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 220 View Post
I called to get a price on something for my eb but i was working on my car so i sent the missus down to get the part,the dirty dogs had doubled the price because it was a female,she told em to bash it hard.
They can do that kind of stuff if they want,if you arent happy then dont give them the hard earned,simple.
Its a dodgy old business,there are only 2 wreckers i trust in perth...
Like anything you have to find the good ones and dont go back to the clowns.
Good point, supporting dodgy businesses (of any nature) simply encourages them, don't use them and they will hopefully go out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52
Yeah!
My dentist has just traded his porsche to a ferrari, obviously he is ripping everyone off blind, and my butcher I have seen carrying suitcases of $$ down to the bank so he is obviously ripping all his customers off too. Come to think of it, my bank made $4.5b last year, RIPOFF!! Then there is my insurance company...

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #33
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE
My dentist has just traded his porsche to a ferrari, obviously he is ripping everyone off blind, and my butcher I have seen carrying suitcases of $$ down to the bank so he is obviously ripping all his customers off too. Come to think of it, my bank made $4.5b last year, RIPOFF!! Then there is my insurance company...[/QUOTE]

You said it yourself, if you think you are being ripped off go somewhere else. So get a new butcher, dentist etc. Thats the beauty of our country. If we think we are being hard done by we are free to go somewhere else

My comments were about wreckers pricing only, which seems to be backed up by a lot of posts here. My personal bad experiences are, that I have rung about a price on a part and when I went to the wrecker to pick it up it was a higher price and I have also rung about a price on a part and a mate has too within a couple of days and got a different price on the same part.
Also some of the prices I have gotten in the past are not much less than easily obtained new parts. So as I said they are trying to see what they can get out of you.

If you act like a wood duck or are ignorant of what things are worth you will pay more than a well informed buyer. This isn't neccessarily a ripoff as you put it, it is bargaining, the same as you do at a swapmeet or market.

My comment has nothing to do with running a wrecking yard or any business for that matter because the thread is about wrecker pricing.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #34
dogphlap

Hi,

I don't often frequent wreckers but due to fatigue/brain fade/incompetence (pick any one, two or three) I needed a couple of M12 nuts as used to hold up the front two crossmembers of an AU. These have a fine thread (it may be 1.25mm pitch but I'm only guessing).

I went to my local wreckers (last visited more than a decade ago) armed with an 18mm ring spanner and a 18mm deep socket on a 1/2" ratchet wrench.

A gentleman came out to greet me.

"we don't sell nuts and even if we did we have a minimum charge of $65.00".
"mostly we deal with dealers"

WOW!

Just up the road is the spares department of my local Ford dealer.
They sold me both nuts for $11.00 and I was happy to get them.

My paranoid self wonders just how many of those dealers are fitting wrecker parts and charging their customers for new.

Best regards.

Last edited by dogphlap; 07-02-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added missing comma.
dogphlap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #35
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
[QUOTE
My comment has nothing to do with running a wrecking yard or any business for that matter because the thread is about wrecker pricing.
wrecker pricing has everything to do with running a wrecking yard

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
wrecker pricing has everything to do with running a wrecking yard
Of course it does but I didn't comment on running a wrecking yard. I commented about pricing and the pricing in a lot of cases doesn't have much to do with overheads. Its based on what the market is willing to pay.

Some wreckers price according to their costs plus a reasonable profit, others don't. They speculate to see if they can make a killing in the market.
I think you will find that the history of wrecking yards puts them in a category of a business to be a bit wary of when dealing with them. Things may be improving in some areas due to regulation but I am still going to do my research on pricing before I buy anything from one.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #37
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 220 View Post
Wreckers arent the only business to treat females like idiots ........
My missus entrusted some work to the local tyre shop
She was doin then 1500Ks a week,but these monkeys told her she didnt know her car and done the opposite of what she asked ,they thought "Yeah dumb female " till she got home, then all hell broke loose
Its funny after i abused the cr*p over the fone to the manager he wasnt there when i got there
They changed everything to how it was asked in the first place, then wanted to charge me !!!
Yeah dumb females, she grew up in a family of car racing drivers, mechanics,and can pedal quite good,probably knows more than they do
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #38
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was reading an article some time ago that the wrecking industry is trying to transform itself from a bunch of backyard operations into a more customer friendly and professionally focused industry they were showing how wreckers have computerized catalogued parts and have now got state of the art equipment that drain fluids fro a vehicle before its dismantled

Well the other day I was acros the road from one and they were pulling the engine out of an ba with a forklift there were air con ppes and some wires still attache the bloke just pulled out a reciprocating saw and hacked everything to bits that was stil attached meanwhile coolant and oil was still running from the motor so wheres the proffesionalism and special equipment in that plus they had parts strewn all over the place wonder how ell catalogued they were
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #39
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been buying from wreckers for road tested parts for 50 years and my view is that they will charge what they can get away with. On small parts, they sometimes charge more than the original part cost. Having said that, years ago I was told by a wrecker that they tried to get 30 to 50% of new price but as I said above, in some cases more than new. Example? HZ Holden door original new price $120. Wrecker, for a good one, over $300
There is one wrecker, P'n'P at Marayong that has consistent prices. Everything in their yard (a very big yard) is on computer with set prices so it does not matter what you want, Ford, Hyundai, Merc there are set prices. All about 20% too high. Thanks Gary.
TE 220, I do not know if you post was directed at me but the price I gave was a price given to me when the HZ was less than 15 years old and there were hundreds of them in yards at the time.

Last edited by graham7773; 08-02-2013 at 08:19 PM.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #40
STINKY NINJA
Banned

You cant really expect to pay less than 30 year old prices when the cars were new,the parts are so rare you will pay premium prices.
Different story when the parts you are buying are still available new and they still want top dollar.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #41
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

$65 EACH for 2nd hand BA/BF tail lights.

The upgrade ones are the same price new.

I am not having a go at them...i know how to shop around

Last edited by my_gxl; 11-02-2013 at 06:23 PM.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #42
Kometes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVF6X201 View Post
You musta got lucky. Way overpriced (on Territory stuff anyway). wont separate parts that should be separate, ie wont sell the grille coz he thinks its aprt of the front bar?? Wants $50 for a I6 thermostat housing, $30 on ebay delivered! I wanted the rear Brembos of a FG GT he had, nah mate, you have to buy the whole front and rears together!

The guy I dealt with is a knob.
That's the exact same experience I had with them for the XR8.. Call up for fuel cap & A pillar trim, quoted $15 a piece.. walked out of their $60 poorer and the trim was the wrong one (not premo sound) - had to buy the trim even though I was only after the tweeter grille.

Also wanted about $400 more than fraud for a set of rear leafs. Wouldn't recommend them.

ARB Deluxe Bar, Safari Snorkel, Ironman 9500lb winch, Icom 440 UHF + 6dB Aerial
Kometes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #43
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl View Post
$65 EACH for 2nd hand BA/BF tail lights.

The upgrade ones are the same price new.

I am not having a go at them...i know how to shop around

I don't think $65 is a bad price at all for BA/F ... if it were EF/L then yep its too much.

I would much rather pay that for a second hand genuine ford part than for the crap repro stuff. I have seen and dealt with enough of it to know the quality is not comparable to genuine parts.

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
dooleys2
Starter Motor

is there such a thing as reasonable price gear from wreckers?
dooleys2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #45
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleys2 View Post
is there such a thing as reasonable price gear from wreckers?
As mentioned wreckers are a business,and like any other business,you dont know your product and/or prices youll go broke ...
Even the muppet who answers the fones at the wreckers has to be paid,with all the add ons ,super ,compo, sickies,ect ,ect he wouldnt be cheap per hour
So next time you ring a wrecker and ask a zillion questions, and your talking for ages,remember whos paying their wages .....
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post