Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #31
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shell pulls ethanol pumps from Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
Every single test carried out proves that when comparing cost/litres/kms travelled, E10 does nothing to save you money.

It's less efficient than petrol and the reduction in efficiency is not offset by the cheaper price.
I recall when e10 was first introduced and it was atleast 4cpl cheaper than 91 unleaded. Now most servos in Melbourne its 1 or maybe 2cpl cheaper than unleaded. So for what you may possibly save IMO its just not worth using it especially in my FG XR6.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
I recall when e10 was first introduced and it was atleast 4cpl cheaper than 91 unleaded. Now most servos in Melbourne its 1 or maybe 2cpl cheaper than unleaded. So for what you may possibly save IMO its just not worth using it especially in my FG XR6.

Well when you can get 95ron E10 for a cheaper price then 95ron regular it can make it worth it.
Old 18-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #33
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
I was going to bring that up also. Here is Geelong its 1.5cpl cheaper? Whats the point of that? It burns quicker, but pretty much costs the same......?

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #34
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would rather pay 100% of the price of unleaded and only get 90% of the product than topping up the 90% with 10% ethanol!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #35
Jesmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Holdens decision to go E85 was stupid. Spending that much money tuning their engines for E85 that maybe 1% of the population have access too, and expecting other manufacturers to follow suit so it forces servos to stock it, seems to me that Holden have such big heads they think everyone will do what they do, cause they are so much better than all the others.
Actually you couldn't be more wrong. They needed to redevelop the entire fuel pump system anyway for SIDI introduction. So there was no additional cost to make this happen. So for the sum total of zero dollars they've now introduced a "greener" option.

Holden already made an Ethanol compatible system as far back as 1997 , when the VT was being sold into Brazil, all the fuel lines, pumps etc were unique to suit alcohol based fuels.
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
the cars tune them self on the type of fuel used, they run an alchometer in the tank..

and if the feds force the use e85 then what?? no probs for holden.
Holden spent millions adapting the engines for E85, and then had to tune them to make sure it all worked properly, then had to do all the emissions testing for it. The engines don't work on E85 unless Holden make them compatible. You've confused that with what happens when you put E85 in the tank, and the sensor works out what type of fuel its using an adapts to suit, it only does that because of the millions Holden spent tuning the ECU for it to do it. It can only figure out what type of fuel it has, and what fuel and spark settings plus a million other variables because of the base program Holden load into it.

Why do you think the 3.6 sisi can't run on E85, because Holden are still proramming it to do it at the moment and it won't be ready for at least a few more months. If it tuned it self like you say why isn't it able to run on E85 now?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesmol
Actually you couldn't be more wrong. They needed to redevelop the entire fuel pump system anyway for SIDI introduction. So there was no additional cost to make this happen. So for the sum total of zero dollars they've now introduced a "greener" option.

Holden already made an Ethanol compatible system as far back as 1997 , when the VT was being sold into Brazil, all the fuel lines, pumps etc were unique to suit alcohol based fuels.
Do you think they were able to tune it for E85 for nothing. It would have cost them millions. They would have done thousands of k's of testing, dyno runs, hot and cold weather testing etc. It would have been a lot of testing to prove its safe and can run on E85 under all conditions. They can't just add a fuel sensor and then say yep, it works no worries.

Just because it only required a few extra sensors to make sure it can recognise the fuel type in the tank has absolutely no bearing on how much it cost Holden to put it into production. They still haven't tuned the 3.6 for E85 yet either, they are still in testing for it. If what you claim in that it didn't cost Holden anything to do because the SIDI fuel system was already compatible would mean that the 3.6 would already be running on E85. But they have been testing it for months now getting it ready for production, and that costs bucket loads of money. Every aspect of its operation must be tested and tuned for.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #38
Till_Lind
E-series fan

See a lot of places now have additional advertising for Unleaded (regular) fuel nowadays, it's the least I'll use.
Old 20-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #39
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Good. Never used the stuff anyway. Plus, there might be more chance of not having to queue for Diesel.
Now all we need is The Gov to insist that servos must display the price of Premium on the billboard as they do with all the other fuels. Instead of shrugging and filling up once you're already at the pump, we can drive by the ones that are reeming more out of you for with greater margins for 95/98?
Then again "competition" is non existant anyway I guess, so they would all read the same.
Old 20-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #40
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Well when you can get 95ron E10 for a cheaper price then 95ron regular it can make it worth it.

The octane rating does not relate to the energy stored in the fuel. 95ron E10 has less stored energy than 91 regular.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #41
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did anyone see A current Affair Vic a few nights ago where they did a full fuel burn test on E10, 95, 98 and Diesel...all Shell fuel and all with same model cars (Hyundai Sorrento's) starting with dry tanks and filled with 3 litres exactly.... The E10 car stopped first, then the 95 then 98 and after like 40k's further the Diesel.... They then did a retest and the results were the same.... Tried to find a video online but none ther..
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #42
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If Holden Engines where only made here I would say they did well..
But they have BIO fuels in America and G.M are using the SAME engines...
I keep hearing what HOLDEN are doing .. G.M have done it 5 years earlier!!!
Ford Taurus was one of the first flexible fuel vehicles...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #43
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
If Holden Engines where only made here I would say they did well..
But they have BIO fuels in America and G.M are using the SAME engines...
I keep hearing what HOLDEN are doing .. G.M have done it 5 years earlier!!!
Ford Taurus was one of the first flexible fuel vehicles...
well you allready know the LSX's are create job's.
the sixes are made here.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
The octane rating does not relate to the energy stored in the fuel. 95ron E10 has less stored energy than 91 regular.
Well I get the same mileage as 91 & 95 (non ethanol) but the car goes better on E10 95 ron then 91 (non ethanol) I know what I'll keep using.
Old 22-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #45
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

E10 user here in my turboed EL, no dramas...loves it!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #46
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

It also seems to me that people just get confused with so many fuels on offer. 91, 95 , 98 , E10 etc etc

Methinks people are just going for what they trust and use regularly. Its also noteworthy that E10 pumps arent always accesible so people will just drive in and look for whatever pump is available......and generally it will be the yellow 91 pump.

I wonder what the ratio of 95 to 98 fuel usage is ?

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #47
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to mention the staggering list of cars, sometimes quite recent ones, that can't use it.
It's not only stereotypical "old dungers" that can't run on it. My mothers 1996 Mazda 121 has a clear warning that it must not use ethanol belnd fuel in the handbook. There are also a long list of premium and prestige European cars that simply cannot use it. Many motorbikes cannot use it either...my GSX-1400 can apparently use up to 15% ethanol, but it may need the EFI resetting to run "effectively" on it.

Sorry, but I'm not resking damage to any of my vehicles by using the crap.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #48
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
well you already know the LSX's are create job's.
the sixes are made here.
Doesn't matter where they are made etc..
G.M U.S has had E85 engines for years..
It's nothing special that Holden have done anything...
Just part of there self promotion...

E85 requires at least 30% more fuel supply over ULP..
To keep same power levels and safe AFR..
So yes it should sell for 5c a ltr less than ULP..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #49
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Doesn't matter where they are made etc..
G.M U.S has had E85 engines for years..
It's nothing special that Holden have done anything...
Just part of there self promotion...

E85 requires at least 30% more fuel supply over ULP..
To keep same power levels and safe AFR..
So yes it should sell for 5c a ltr less than ULP..
according to caltex it around 20cpl cheaper the 91ulp...
with respect to the thread direction, liberal + ethanol = pork barrel!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #50
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I get the same mileage as 91 & 95 (non ethanol) but the car goes better on E10 95 ron then 91 (non ethanol) I know what I'll keep using.
I find up hear in QLD the stations don't all have the RON ratings on the pumps.
I went in and asked at one station and they did not know what the RON was so i had to go find a 98 RON because my bike runs 13:1 compression.

But i find in my car E10 if it's 95 RON it's OK but if the E10 is 91 RON it is rubbish down low under 1800 RPM and she will drink more fuel but E10 95 RON is not so bad on fuel or power.

We all should know that E10 will not get better mileage but their are more factors involved than just that, as a lot can do with how your EFI system and how it backs of the timing as some can retard from 2 degrees and progressively go to 12 and some just go straight to 12 retard at any detections.
And 12 degrees retarded drops a lot of performance.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #51
Troy_xlr8
Starter Motor

They used to have 100 octane ethanol fuel at Shell in Punt rd, then they got rid of it for this E85 bull***... Ethanol is cheaper and has more octane, so why water it down? because the sale of their 8 cent per litre more Vortex **** was dropping?
If they come out with a high performance ethanol fuel that was the same price or cheaper then reg unleaded then it would entice people
Troy_xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #52
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ethanol is only cheaper because of all the government subsidies. It has less energy content than unleaded (not sure how they managed to get "100 octane" out of it, unless it had masses of additives... ), and is energy negative (takes more energy to produce than is contained in the end product). There's no way of getting around that.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #53
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Ethanol is only cheaper because of all the government subsidies. It has less energy content than unleaded (not sure how they managed to get "100 octane" out of it, unless it had masses of additives... ), and is energy negative (takes more energy to produce than is contained in the end product). There's no way of getting around that.

100 RON is easily achievable with ethanol blended fuels. Octane slows the roll of the flame front across the piston, it does not represent the calorific value of a fuel. So in other words it will prevent detonation, whilst also using more of the stuff to produce the same energy yield.
Old 23-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #54
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
I find up hear in QLD the stations don't all have the RON ratings on the pumps.
I went in and asked at one station and they did not know what the RON was so i had to go find a 98 RON because my bike runs 13:1 compression.

But i find in my car E10 if it's 95 RON it's OK but if the E10 is 91 RON it is rubbish down low under 1800 RPM and she will drink more fuel but E10 95 RON is not so bad on fuel or power.

We all should know that E10 will not get better mileage but their are more factors involved than just that, as a lot can do with how your EFI system and how it backs of the timing as some can retard from 2 degrees and progressively go to 12 and some just go straight to 12 retard at any detections.
And 12 degrees retarded drops a lot of performance.
I only go to United to get my E10 fuel. As I know its 95ron. I wouldn't go other places because most are at the 91/92 ron.

People will get different results for fuels the best way is to try it and see what results you get and then you will know what to use on your vehicle. Saying something is crap without actually doing your own testing is quite pointless but then there are always people who hate things because its different.
Old 23-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #55
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

95 Ron E10 would obviously be more beneficial and 91 should really be removed..... But it still needs to be 'at least' 5c cheaper than standard or people just won't use it.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #56
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
I only go to United to get my E10 fuel. As I know its 95ron. I wouldn't go other places because most are at the 91/92 ron.

People will get different results for fuels the best way is to try it and see what results you get and then you will know what to use on your vehicle. Saying something is crap without actually doing your own testing is quite pointless but then there are always people who hate things because its different.
Hear hear!

E10 haters lol

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #57
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, but lets assume ethanol doesn't have any corrosive properties for a minute. Simple science dictates that ethanol has 68% the stored energy of standard unleaded petrol. So by anyones calculations E10 should be 3% cheaper than normal unleaded to be worth while. I have never seen it more than 3c/l cheaper.
Old 24-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #58
JamesR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
Did anyone see A current Affair Vic a few nights ago where they did a full fuel burn test on E10, 95, 98 and Diesel...all Shell fuel and all with same model cars (Hyundai Sorrento's) starting with dry tanks and filled with 3 litres exactly.... The E10 car stopped first, then the 95 then 98 and after like 40k's further the Diesel.... They then did a retest and the results were the same.... Tried to find a video online but none ther..
http://youtu.be/oZIIhP3usuA

my photo blog;
http://www.jamesruff.net
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #59
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
I understand what you are saying, but lets assume ethanol doesn't have any corrosive properties for a minute. Simple science dictates that ethanol has 68% the stored energy of standard unleaded petrol. So by anyones calculations E10 should be 3% cheaper than normal unleaded to be worth while. I have never seen it more than 3c/l cheaper.

Again I get the same mileage out of E10 95ron as I do from 91ron and 95ron. Seeing as the E10 is cheaper and the car actually goes harder I don't have a problem with using it. If I found it to be costing me more then I would avoid it. My testing for my car, driving style and other conditions has shown me (not anyone else but me) that its better value. This is why I said that people should do their own testing, and not 1 tank, and make up their mind.
Old 24-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #60
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Again I get the same mileage out of E10 95ron as I do from 91ron and 95ron. Seeing as the E10 is cheaper and the car actually goes harder I don't have a problem with using it. If I found it to be costing me more then I would avoid it. My testing for my car, driving style and other conditions has shown me (not anyone else but me) that its better value. This is why I said that people should do their own testing, and not 1 tank, and make up their mind.
To get accurate mileage data you would have to be in a very controlled circumstance.

It takes energy to accelerate a mass to a speed, and to maintain that speed against friction. I am not disputing your testing, but simple logic dictates that less energy in equals less energy out. We are only talking about roughly 3% less energy in E10, so it is very hard to determine at the bowser.