Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford will close early (Herald Sun)

That's what i'm thinking too, it will spike early but once the gloss wears off it will sink fast. I'm guessing that's why Ford cut production numbers so heavily for the downbalance in June, to stretch production out for long enough to keep the demand in front of supply.

I'm guessing the people who get in early will have long wait times to get their Falcon, and initial demand will only be matched with small supply. Maybe Fords way of keeping the line running for a while until supply can catch up?
Old 26-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #32
xr6turbo270kw

Guys
Ford Australia will stop production in March 2015, mark my words march next year look back at my post today. US financial year runs from January to December they will declare a massive loss make big tax breaks for the losses then shut up shop. In regards to the government grant ford legally need to make one unit of F? To fulfil the grant.
Old 27-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #33
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

There seem to be a lot of people with crystal balls in this thread.

Ford has said nothing about leaving earlier than their initial date given. Nor have they blindly said they'll definitely stay till 'x' date (which could work against holden/toyota if they have to shut up shop earlier than promised).

This article is merely speculation, probably based on the opinion of somebody who probably has the same crystal ball as everyone else seems to.

12 months ago we were all rallying against the doom and gloom. Now we've fallen into it.

Rather than buying into the media hyped doom and gloom, why don't people get excited about the FH? And when it's gone, it's gone. We can't control it, so there's no point speculating about it. Let's celebrate it while it lasts.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

6 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post

Ford has said nothing about leaving earlier than their initial date given.
They haven't said anything to the public.
Old 27-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #35
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
I'm just hoping for the opportunity to buy a new FH, as late into the production run as possible.
Sorry, but that's the wrong attitude. Buy one now. Dont be greedy (like everyone else) and try and "cash in" on <insert big-noting voice here> "Its the last of the falcons"

Everyone is holding off, and that's the problem. Stop thinking of yourself, you ain't helping. Buy ASAP.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 27-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #36
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just hope that they give some warning if they choose to shut the doors early. the plan is to buy an XR8 in mid 2016, hopefully that will be possible.
Old 27-04-2014, 03:00 AM   #37
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
Sorry, but that's the wrong attitude. Buy one now. Dont be greedy (like everyone else) and try and "cash in" on <insert big-noting voice here> "Its the last of the falcons"

Everyone is holding off, and that's the problem. Stop thinking of yourself, you ain't helping. Buy ASAP.
Wrong. Can't buy an FH now anyway.

My reasons for wanting an FH are not so much to do with collectibility, but more to do with obtaining a suitable upgrade when my FG is ready to be replaced.

Would prefer to get an FH sometime into its production when all the bugs are ironed out too. My choice as a consumer, pending Ford Australia's longevity of course.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2014, 03:25 AM   #38
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this story sourced from newscorp like 99% of our media is nowadays?? It's so easy to click a link, read something, and get emotionally caught up in it for a few seconds until you realize it's probably from newscorp.
Old 27-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #39
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

it seems a lot of forum members have a crystal ball (I hope Ford AU will hold on to 2016), I just hope the fh falcon is going to be a well put together car some newer tech and a better handling chassis, then bring on the stangs
Old 27-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #40
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Ford have issued a statement which is published in The Age today "that they no plans for and early closure and are on track to be here until October 2016.

So this just Union officials scaremongering because Ford are not letting them in on everything. Shame on the Herald-Sun for running a story like this without fact checking.
Old 27-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #41
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Ford on track to stay until 2016

Ford has hosed down speculation it will pull-out of Australia earlier than expected, saying it's on track with its plan to continue to make cars here until 2016.

A union official said Ford had not been as clear on how long it intended to stay as Toyota and Holden had, according to a News Limited report.

"While Toyota and Holden seem to be quite genuine that they want to stay in Australia until 2017 and build cars, Ford's position is not as clear," Australian Manufacturing Workers Union vehicle division Dave Smith told News Ltd.

Car making at Ford's Broadmeadows and Geelong plants is due to end in October 2016.

A spokesman for Ford told AAP on Saturday the company had said consistently it was continuing its plan to continue to build cars locally until 2016.

"We're on track with that plan," the Ford spokesman said.

"It's been a year since we announced the plan. A lot of speculation has come and gone in that time."

Victorian treasurer Michael O'Brien said the report was union speculation.

"Ford have said nothing to the government to indicate there's any truth to that speculation at all," Mr O'Brien said.

"They've indicated no intention to have an early pull-out."
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fo...426-zr00h.html
Old 27-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #42
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alot of these stories come from union sources which are mainly worried that the blood bank is drying up and soon their jobs will be on the line as wel.yes i am a paid up union member as well and have been for over 20 years
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #43
Lotte

Quote:
They haven't said anything to anyone about closing earlier. So, yeah. Point proven.

Speculation is all that's going on here.

Old 27-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
They haven't said anything to anyone about closing earlier. So, yeah. Point proven.

Speculation is all that's going on here.
I know someone at Broadmeadows and that's not what I've been hearing, so what the PR team tells the media and what is actually going on are two different matters.
Old 27-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #45
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
I just hope that they give some warning if they choose to shut the doors early. the plan is to buy an XR8 in mid 2016, hopefully that will be possible.
That was my plan too but if finances are in order, I plan on buying in March of next year. I just don't have confidence in FoA manufacturing past mid next year: will be a miracle if they are still going by Christmas next year.
Old 27-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #46
Lotte

Quote:
I know someone at Broadmeadows and that's not what I've been hearing, so what the PR team tells the media and what is actually going on are two different matters.
I know several people that work there as well. I'm not hearing any different.

I used to work at a manufacturer supplying ford, Holden and Toyota. 3 years ago we were talking about how the doors would be shutting in twelve months due to a lack of manufacturing contracts, the company is still there. Doom and gloom had always been speculative on the floor.

Old 27-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #47
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

There is always a rumour mill on the floor of any company. Unless you hear it directly from a manager who is in touch with what's actually going on at the upper level, I wouldn't take too much notice.
Old 27-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #48
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

The union clown bosses wont have much to do post 2017, so i guess there trying to flex their drooping muscles whilst they still can.
Old 27-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #49
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turbo270kw View Post
Guys
Ford Australia will stop production in March 2015, mark my words march next year look back at my post today.
I'll probably forget, so could you please save the post so that you can come back in March next year and say " I told you so!"
Old 27-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #50
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Ford has gone back on their words so many times now that I am on a 'believe it when I see it' basis with them now.
It wasn't that long ago that they were 'committed to building cars in Australia for the long term'.
I dont know about that really. Unless I have had my head in the sand they really haven't gone back on anything but have been honest with slightly limited info? I cannot recall how long ago or when that statement from Ford was made? 2016 is still 2 years off and that was announced some time ago?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Ford has said nothing about leaving earlier than their initial date given. Nor have they blindly said they'll definitely stay till 'x' date (which could work against holden/toyota if they have to shut up shop earlier than promised).

This article is merely speculation, probably based on the opinion of somebody who probably has the same crystal ball as everyone else seems to.
But Ford have stated it is their intention to stay till 2016, but they have also said there is no guarantee and if sales sink low enough they will close earlier if need be, or if a supplier goes bust and they can't source parts anymore. They have never guaranteed anything. And the way they go about it, doing basically zero to promote and sell Falcon and Territory, it's not hard to see they are happy for it to drop off into oblivion, and then blame low sales for leaving early.

That is what Dave Smith has picked up on, and he would know, he meets with them a few times a week. Trust me, he knows more than we all do.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Ford has gone back on their words so many times now that I am on a 'believe it when I see it' basis with them now.
It wasn't that long ago that they were 'committed to building cars in Australia for the long term'.
Of course if you want some 'gone back on their word' quotes, how about Mike Devereux's '10 year plan' statement, about this time last year.

From Australian Manufacturing.... http://www.australianmanufacturing.c...holden-reveals

"but Holden insists they will continue to push ahead with their 10 year plan set out in 2012.

“Holden set out a 10-year manufacturing plan that was agreed with the Australian Government in 2012, based on the economic and market conditions at that time. That plan would see Holden invest a billion dollars in this country and secure production of two all-new global vehicles out to 2022,” said Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Mike Devereux."
Old 27-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #53
borough

I have pretty much turned off these media reports now. Ford have made their decision and will shutdown the Broadmeadows and Geelong manufacturing plants between now and 10/2016. Soon after the announcement I decided I wanted to get one of the last Falcons before production ended. Now looking at the FG MK3 and how underwhelming it will be, basically an FG with the front and rear end of a Fusion, which in IMHO looks like crap, I will be keeping my money. Instead I have started to look back at all the great Falcons made over the years and have purchased an AU ute so I am able to experience something different to my FG.
Old 27-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #54
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
But Ford have stated it is their intention to stay till 2016, but they have also said there is no guarantee and if sales sink low enough they will close earlier if need be, or if a supplier goes bust and they can't source parts anymore. They have never guaranteed anything. And the way they go about it, doing basically zero to promote and sell Falcon and Territory, it's not hard to see they are happy for it to drop off into oblivion, and then blame low sales for leaving early.

That is what Dave Smith has picked up on, and he would know, he meets with them a few times a week. Trust me, he knows more than we all do.
The first paragraph is basically what I was saying.
And yet all the "they'll be gone by this date" in this thread is still speculation.

There's nothing stopping ford closing earlier. They were smart about it, they didn't guarantee they'd stay till the end of 2016. Just that that was their intention to do so. Hell, Ford can't know what's in store for them over the next two years - that's why a guarantee was never made.

Dave Smith probably does know more about the plans than we do, I'm not doubting that. however this is nothing we didn't already know - we always knew it was likely they'd shut earlier. There's an article in this thread saying the opposite from others who'd know more than we do as well, so who do we listen to? He still doesn't know for sure what is around the corner.

Like I said, why doesn't everyone just celebrate the last falcon while we have it driving off the production line; rather than trying to turn when they're going to shut down into something to place bets on.

Old 27-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #55
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Isn't it in Dave Smiths interest as a spokesperson for the workers to NOT go to the media with these sort of tales which could impact consumer confidence in the Falcon and brand?
Old 27-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #56
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the other interesting thing this year to watch out for is what happens to the Ford Racing Team in the V8 Supercars.
Will they pull out next year or continue for another?
That might hold some weight as to their intentions too.
Old 28-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #57
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
FORD have a shocking PR team...they need to be open and honest with Australians....I too hope the FH sees the light of day..but............
They have been honest. They have repeated advised us it is their intention to operate to 2016. It will depend on sales performance though. They have said this time and time again. Just a shame the media and the masses keep probing into a statement that means what it is. No one can tell what the numbers will be in 2015. So let them just run their course and time will tell. to me, it just sounds like someone is dying and we all want to know what date the funeral is!
7 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #58
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
FORD have a shocking PR team...they need to be open and honest with Australians....I too hope the FH sees the light of day..but............
They have been honest. They have repeatedly advised us it is their intention to operate to 2016. It will depend on sales performance though. They have said this time and time again. Just a shame the media and the masses keep probing into a statement that means what it is. No one can tell what the numbers will be in 2015. So let them just run their course and time will tell. to me, it just sounds like someone is dying and we all want to know what date the funeral is!
Old 28-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #59
GT014

I agree with gadgetman 100%. Most sensible post in here for a long time.!
Old 28-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #60
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Another ***** thread for the usual suspects - AWESOME - just what I love to see here on AFF

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Closed Thread