Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #31
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Companies going into administration 12% higher than during GFC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner View Post
I think its time that us aussies get off our backsides and start realizing what is going on with our country.
That's the whole reason the country is where it is
Too much of the "She be right mate "attitude

But no matter how much you educate people of the situation or the doom as it could be ,people are only interested in what it costs,large majority don't care where it comes from, its what it costs
Theres aussie farmers who for year after year are plowing produce back in the ground , as no one buys it, and theres nothing wrong,it cant compete with the import stuff
Then when people have had enuf of the rubbish forced down our throat , there will be no decent growing land left
Short term pain,long term gain,nope
Short term gain,long term pain ....
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Im not a labor voter, but given the governments slight majority I cant deny they have been effective in passing legislation. There has been significant amounts of policy acted upon and laws created, we individually may not agree with them all, believe in them all or want any of them, but they are doing the job asked of them by the majority of the public on the last election day.
I assume the 'news' you watch is probably one of the channels owned by the mining magnates!
I use inverted commas around news as I find the quality of factual reporting in mainstream 'news' channels to be heavily biased and lightly disguised opinion pieces.

JP
No i`m not really an affiliate of any particular channel, but as an oldish fart and pensioner and a bit of a news junky that has a bit of time to look at quite a few channels and evaluate different media, it`s plain to see you can find bias going either way if you open your eyes, i don`t want to create waves so i`ll contain myself, but personally i think the criticism is warranted, and i can`t wait for the status quo to change if you get my drift.
PS, does quickly passing legislation that is poor count?? i don`t think it does, and i will leave it there..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #33
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

screw business for the worker.. lol..

when business does good.. I do good..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Keep off the party politics please
I am at a loss as to how to make this more clear.

From this point on, any pro or anti party political comments will attract a warning.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #35
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doin my bit, rather large equipment purchase at work, will be OZ designed and manufactured. Luckily we still have an option of a local manufacturer at this stage.

I dont buy $1 milk either.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Doin my bit, rather large equipment purchase at work, will be OZ designed and manufactured. Luckily we still have an option of a local manufacturer at this stage.

I dont buy $1 milk either.
It would be good if a farmer had an online store, where you could request something thats in season, their staff pick it and it gets sent to you via courier or something.

No doubt, it would be cheaper because you don't have those Safeway/Coles tossers involved and the farmer sees the money, not the big chain, which is squeezing farmers and customers.

Lets face it, I'd rather buy apples this time of year when they're in season, not last years stock fresh from the freezer.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 20-03-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #37
Work Horse
Budget Racer

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4582082.html

May not be enough doom and gloom in this article for some, but worth a read.

Australia is doing well, stop running it down.
Old 20-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #38
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
It would be good if a farmer had an online store, where you could request something thats in season, their staff pick it and it gets sent to you via courier or something.

No doubt, it would be cheaper because you don't have those Safeway/Coles tossers involved and the farmer sees the money, not the big chain, which is squeezing farmers and customers.

Lets face it, I'd rather buy apples this time of year when they're in season, not last years stock fresh from the freezer.
There are places where you can buy groceries on line for home delivery,tho that aside , theres aussie farmers all over the place,maybe see whats local to you and help them stay alive longer ...
I don't know how a shelf life item would freight like tomatos ect, freight would be a tad exxy even for the local grower to ship a town or two
3 KG aussie post is what 12 bucks now, makes the cheap produce not so once delivered
I do try buy local grown as much as possible,but a KG here and there doesn't keep them alive
Bloke in town was selling bowen mangoes for 50c each,yet 3 bucks in the shop
Pick your own,fresh as youll get, he ended up throwing tonnes out,he has just cut 1/2 his crop down
Old 20-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #39
hodge_williams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

aussie farmers direct?

also i live in se suburbs and there are a couple of growers near me that have good produce, some of their stuff is bought at markets.
hodge_williams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #40
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are plenty of companies offering delivered local, fresh produce and products that service most main towns (maybe just cities) but they offer in season locally sourced local farmers produce. we get an organic box weekly at very competitive rates when compared to the supermarkets and most importantly, it supports local and I don't have to go to the supermarket.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4582082.html

May not be enough doom and gloom in this article for some, but worth a read.

Australia is doing well, stop running it down.
i don`t know that 5 graphs tell the whole story? i`m no accountant, but i can`t see a graph showing national debt, it does`nt show the 2 speed economy, as for employment it does`nt show how many are casual/fulltime, and it does`nt mention seasonal adjusted figures.
Is this bloke writing for the abc? the only reason i mention this , is he calls other media biased , yet abc has been accused of being biased in the other direction, who pays the abc wages.
you have to be a bit cynical.
If anything , i would say it is the mining/resources sector that has kept Australia in a fair pozzy compared to other country`s in the poop,
if we did`nt have these to back us up, we would be right down the crapper like everyone else.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #42
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i don`t know that 5 graphs tell the whole story? i`m no accountant, but i can`t see a graph showing national debt,
Australia 27% GDP, UK 88.68% GDP, USA 107% GDP.
Quote:
it does`nt show the 2 speed economy, as for employment it does`nt show how many are casual/fulltime, and it does`nt mention seasonal adjusted figures.
Is this bloke writing for the abc? the only reason i mention this , is he calls other media biased , yet abc has been accused of being biased in the other direction, who pays the abc wages.
you have to be a bit cynical.
I don't know mate may be you need to listen to your own advise.
Quote:
, it`s plain to see you can find bias going either way if you open your eyes,
I listen to Amanda Vanstone on the ABC often, do you reckon the current government is controlling her?

Quote:
If anything , i would say it is the mining/resources sector that has kept Australia in a fair pozzy compared to other country`s in the poop,
if we did`nt have these to back us up, we would be right down the crapper like everyone else.
But we do have a strong mining and resources sector; you are putting a negative spin on anything good about the country.
Old 21-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #43
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 speed economy is the key. retail and trade and construction is down significantly

plus you need to question the figures your feed through the media.

for example real or hidden unemplyment is a more accurate measure:

quote"Put another way, that means that less than a third of the people who want to work are actually defined as unemployed. If we include all those who want to work then the real unemployment rate should be 14.3 per cent of the workforce not 5 per cent."

http://www.tai.org.au/?q=node/254

Exports - remember the thing called balance of trade

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/aust...lance-of-trade

Cant just import things forever can you
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #44
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Most people think the GFC is over and the worst of it is behind us. That is far from the truth.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #45
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Most people think the GFC is over and the worst of it is behind us. That is far from the truth.
I was once considering 'gold' as barter or security - should our currency ever fail, but this domesting banking legislation changed my mind (the GG activates this if called upon):-
BANKING ACT 1959 – SECT 42
Delivery of gold
Quote:
(1) Subject to this Part, a person who has any gold in the person's possession or under the person's control, not being:
(a) gold coins the total value of the gold content of which does not exceed the prescribed amount; or
(b) gold lawfully in the possession of that person for the purpose of being worked or used by that person in connexion with the person's profession or trade;
b = think say watchmakers et al* Private holders goto the para below:-

Quote:
shall deliver the gold to the Reserve Bank, or as prescribed, within one month after the gold comes into the person's possession or under the person's control or, if the gold is in the person's possession or under the person's control on any date on which this Part comes into operation, within one month after that date.

The penalties are heavy for failing to comply.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/c...95972/s42.html
Gold purchase would be all but pointless!?? Chances a GovCo could get a GG to activate this legislation if our fiat currency is at risk? Pretty darn good I'd say. Mmmm, silver bullion, alas - GovCo could then create an amendment.

An even greater danger exists over some mortgages as at 2011 owing legislative changes to the Banking Act, if a domestic bank fails, a loan secured by a residential property can be called upon by 'covered bond' holders, (among many other items). See the Act.

Last edited by Keepleft; 22-03-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #46
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

Doom and gloom.. people should just stop watching telly.

^^ gold was 'claimed' by the government at operating costs during www2 to help wiht the war effort costs.. nothing scary about that legislation.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #47
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sadly people love doom and gloom claims and stories

yes the world is changing at considerable speed, including the way we shop and do business

but wake up and smell the roses, the glass is half full, NOT half empty
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #48
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
I was once considering 'gold' as barter or security - should our currency ever fail, but this domesting banking legislation changed my mind (the GG activates this if called upon):-
So was I. As can be seen in Cyprus, goverments will do anything in times of desperation including theft of citizen's wealth.
Old 22-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #49
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
Doom and gloom.. people should just stop watching telly.

^^ gold was 'claimed' by the government at operating costs during www2 to help wiht the war effort costs.. nothing scary about that legislation.
Make no mistake, I do NOT 'enjoy' doom and gloom stories whatsoever, I am however not an ostrich and do keep an eye on economic news.

The TV bit - probably watch 3 hours per week, news only. Like many - I am otherwise too busy.

I am well aware of the situation in WW2 here in Australia; this 1959 legislation simply means government, on behalf of the banks via the Reserve, can organise to take your *private property*, purchased legally by you; in the form of gold. That is all it does. Point is, we must be one of very, very few nations that allow this, as most other countries have their central banks buy gold by the tonnage for security. To my mind, this legislation is a good reason to NOT buy gold as a personal hedge, be it from The Perth Mint, ABC Bullion or other.

In the last few months, certainly since the start of 2013, China, nations of South America, Russia have been purchasing large amounts of gold to leverage up their situations and the German central bank has recently recalled many tonnes of its stored gold from the US fort, so that it is back in physical form in Germany.

Some of the key voices that were signalling economic concern back in 2008 are doing so once again, albeit with more concern as to the 'depth-potential', this time.

Yes, I'd love things to be hunky dory, they appear not to be perfect right now, and there is nothing 'we or I' can do about it regardless.

It is a subject that offends some easily, but isn't one we should pretend doesn't exist.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #50
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880 View Post
sadly people love doom and gloom claims and stories

yes the world is changing at considerable speed, including the way we shop and do business

but wake up and smell the roses, the glass is half full, NOT half empty
Mate, I would rather be informed of the real situation than look at the world through rose tinted glasses.
Old 22-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #51
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as long as theres food being thrown in bins.. i can eat out of bins..
Old 22-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
Make no mistake, I do NOT 'enjoy' doom and gloom stories whatsoever, I am however not an ostrich and do keep an eye on economic news.

The TV bit - probably watch 3 hours per week, news only. Like many - I am otherwise too busy.

I am well aware of the situation in WW2 here in Australia; this 1959 legislation simply means government, on behalf of the banks via the Reserve, can organise to take your *private property*, purchased legally by you; in the form of gold. That is all it does. Point is, we must be one of very, very few nations that allow this, as most other countries have their central banks buy gold by the tonnage for security. To my mind, this legislation is a good reason to NOT buy gold as a personal hedge, be it from The Perth Mint, ABC Bullion or other.

In the last few months, certainly since the start of 2013, China, nations of South America, Russia have been purchasing large amounts of gold to leverage up their situations and the German central bank has recently recalled many tonnes of its stored gold from the US fort, so that it is back in physical form in Germany.

Some of the key voices that were signalling economic concern back in 2008 are doing so once again, albeit with more concern as to the 'depth-potential', this time.

Yes, I'd love things to be hunky dory, they appear not to be perfect right now, and there is nothing 'we or I' can do about it regardless.

It is a subject that offends some easily, but isn't one we should pretend doesn't exist.
When presented with a problem some people actively attempt to solve it whereas others just sit down and cry and hope that someone else solves it for them while another group revel in the misfortune as it tends to defer attention from their own personal inadequacies.

There is always something positive that can be done regardless of how small and right now, here in Australia, we are a LOT better off than most of the rest of the world.

One thing about forums is that there is an audit trail and it is very easy to deduce which members fall into each group..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #53
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

It is all well and good to simplify the answer into "buy Australian"

The problem is that each week there is fewer Australian things to buy and many of the companies still operating in Australia are predominately owned by foreign interests and subject to the whims of Harvard's newest 23 year old wiz kid genius.

I'm working on a massive I/T project, if you asked me to find even a nut or bolt that was Australian made I couldn't.

We've been screwed for decades and the reality is starting to come home for many.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #54
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well that was hard

http://www.prendergastfasteners.com.au/service1.html
Old 23-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #55
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
you're missing the point, I'm working on a massive project, just in I/T we have HP, IBM, HDS, Cisco, APC, Schneider (to name a few) Then there are the electrical, and mechanical engineering works, millions of components, Fibre optics, UTP, copper piping, sub-stations and down to nuts and bolts. Very little is Australian made...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #56
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I'm working on a massive project, just in I/T we have HP, IBM, HDS, Cisco, APC, Schneider (to name a few) Then there are the electrical, and mechanical engineering works, millions of components, Fibre optics, UTP, copper piping, sub-stations and down to nuts and bolts. Very little is Australian made...
So theres a minimal aussie product base in your place of business, that's pretty normal in most inudstries in Australia now
But IF you think that's bad, take a look around your home,or others , theres hardly anything Australian made in our own homes
We are a nation that cant survive without something foreign made to help us threw our daily lifes .....
Old 23-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #57
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People complain about foreigners buying our productive farm land? Easy...tell the government to enact laws to restrict foreign ownership of our land, as dozens of other countries have done...try and buy land in Japan or China for example and see how far
you get.

People complain about cheap forieign goods? Fine...get the government to enact laws allowing subsidisation of local industry to protect it from the rest of the world...but to do that they'd have to grow a set and ignore the howls from the United Nations and World Trade organisations.

People complain about prices for goods being too high? Fine...get the government to enact laws that have price control on local goods...if you want to be really radical, then bring in laws such as some small nations have where there are two prices for goods...one for the locals, and another for foreigners and exporters. Don't let the government enact laws like a carbon tax that will only increase businesses cost of doing busniess while competing with countries who laugh at us and don't put carbon taxes in place.

Farmers complaining about prime farm land being taken over by governments for national parks in some sort of race to try and have "the biggest" national park area "in the world!!!!" as if it's some sort of international competition? Get the government to stop making more and more areas locked up by national parks then...we need farm land more than we need a locked up area with some trees that no one ever goes to see.

Don't let the government sell government owned corporations to the private sector...once you sell to private enterprise, they have one and only one priority...return to the shareholders, and nothing else. Governments should run all big enterprise like water supply, electricity generation, and transport, given that we have such a tiny population by world standards...and don'tworry if it only breaks even and doesn't make a profit...that's how good governments of tiny countries support their people...they just do it and don't worry about getting a return...it's for the good of the populace.

Of course, the common denominator here is "government"...and they won't do anythiing beyond the next election...no government has or will for decades, no matter the party.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #58
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
So theres a minimal aussie product base in your place of business, that's pretty normal in most inudstries in Australia now
But IF you think that's bad, take a look around your home,or others , theres hardly anything Australian made in our own homes
We are a nation that cant survive without something foreign made to help us threw our daily lifes .....
I own and operate an Australian family owned business and produce products that are Australian made and of high quality which I am extremely proud of. I compete against Bunnings and Masters and if my product is $5200.00 and they are $5,000 for a lower quality 100% imported from China product that is guaranteed to fall apart in a couple of years ..... people still choose to buy the product that is $200.00 cheaper. Happens all the time and very frustrating.

So what do you do? Drop your Australian made higher quality product to below the cheap crap? I can honestly say ...... the absolute majority do not care where things come from. All you get all day is "Can you match Bunnings or Masters?" Would love to say .... "If I take a hammer to mine and cheapen the crap out of it, sack a few people and import it all from China, I can!" People do not care .....

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #59
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can equally blame "manufacturers" here in Australia as well...

How many times on this very forum...as well as other auto and motorcycle forums I've been on...who whinge and scoff at "Chinese crap parts", and how "they'd never be caught dead buying that rubbish"...?

All I can say is don't look too close at many parts in your own Australian car, or at the boxes that your dinki-di, true-blue, Aussie company parts come in...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #60
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
You can equally blame "manufacturers" here in Australia as well...

How many times on this very forum...as well as other auto and motorcycle forums I've been on...who whinge and scoff at "Chinese crap parts", and how "they'd never be caught dead buying that rubbish"...?

All I can say is don't look too close at many parts in your own Australian car, or at the boxes that your dinki-di, true-blue, Aussie company parts come in...
Statements like this does irk me a bit! At least someone here is employed to do something (value add) that product. That creates employment. Better to assemble here than drive a car out of a box. In saying that though, Ford do use a lot of parts sourced from here. Of course there would be some that are imported but all in all there is a reasonable cross section. After all they still need to turn a profit and be competitive. Ford here does employ a crap load more people than Mazda with 1/2 the turn over ....... support where you can!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post