Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #31
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW badge a ka laser!
Old 14-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #32
Sporty Corty
1977 TE Cortina

She could get a newer one like a 96 325i for that amount of money, the two door ones are real nice, make sure it has recorded service history at a certified BMW service center and ring the dealer to make sure thay know of the car.
There are two types of servicing
Insp 1 - usually around $450.00 to $500.00 every 5000

Insp 2 - usually around $600.00 to 800.00 every 15000

Insurance is expensive but she will handle it if thats what she really wants, make sure she gets the 5sp manual they are a bit more expensive, but if she is a rev head then she will apprieciate the difference.

Don't worry wisdom comes with maturity she will soon buy a ford but until then make sure she gets the best of what she wants.
Sporty Corty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #33
i_iz_rusty
Starter Motor

i say let her get what she wants i got me a calafornion moke as my first car after 3 clutches burnt up i learnt the value of $ with no abs i learnt no to freek when things get ugly and i also learnt in my second car (vt commonwhore) that crashing realy hurts but if i had not made my own choices and followed what my parents said i would still be the hoon i was, cos with out doing it for our selves ya never learn (least that how i see it)
i_iz_rusty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #34
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Buy her a KIA, rip off the badges and throw some BMW badges on it. Hopefully at her age she wont know the difference.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #35
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Get her to do a budget of how much this car is going to cost her, with rego, insurance, servicing, tyres (I am guessing she wants 17-18" rims not the stock 15") etc. Even after the purchase price it will be a lot of $$$ per year, but she will know then what she is committing to.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #36
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another thing to consider.... My grandparents were looking at a BMW 3-series a few years back.. The insurance cost was going to be massive. Insurance companies reason was that because it has 2 doors it was considered a sports car, and that an exact same model but with 4 doors would be much cheaper!
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #37
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do a ring around and find out a few prices on the general servicing on the BMW and say a Focus or such and also insurance etc for comparison but if she has that much saved and as you say knows a bit about cars then I think you are pushing the proverbial uphill with the wet string. Lets face it she's your daughter and you love her and she has you wrapped around her little finger so face facts and make way for the BEEMA in the garage.
Old 14-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #38
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
let her buy it, rego it, insure it, fix it....

just supply the tissues for later on.
Yeh theres not much you can do with a 17 year old head strong female, they won't give up till you let them win, so you may aswell!

The cost of getting those things serviced is the killer, and being a car of that age you would expect theres going to be a fair bit of bling to spend on repairs and maintenance.

Maybe you should take her for test drives in them even if your driving, go drive a brand new Fiesta then back it up with a drive in an old smelly 3 series that some old lady has had, that my change her mind! :
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #39
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you should just let her go, I cant blame her. She will learn the hard way!! And I think its the only way to learn, is by making a mistake and realising.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #40
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with conordec. Let her learn that a car is not just for looks. When the service bill comes in turn a blind eye and let her sort it out. That may wake her up on the reality of cars. Couple of mates have done the same and have had to put out a hefty bill. Then they realise why I told them not to buy one at the time.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #41
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Thanks for all the advice guys!... Don't know if her reading these comments will sway her much?.... One thing that HAS cast a little doubt in her mind is when I asked her if she realised that Mum's manual Mazda 3 has 104kws & early 318's about 88, & would give a 94 bemma a bath. I will take ShockwaveXRs advice & take her for a drive in one. I have driven a few of these early 318i's and they ARE pretty mundane!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #42
dogwatch2

"I asked her if she realised that Mum's manual Mazda 3 has 104kws & early 318's about 88, & would give a 94 bemma a bath. I will take ShockwaveXRs advice & take her for a drive in one. I have driven a few of these early 318i's and they ARE pretty mundane" Like you say a 94 (or 05) 318 is a pretty ordinary car performance wise and quality wise. A much better car is an Honda Integra 96 or 97 for around that money. My niece just got a good 97 with low k's for 9500 private and at least it's got 107kw.
dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #43
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
IIf its what she wants, then she will probably tolerate the higher insurance etc. also, a German engineered Beemer is bound to last longer than an e-series of similar age
Most 318i's are made in South Africa, however the older ones were German. For what the car has, you really don't get much in the base models.

If she's after a good reliable car then shock horror, but a better equipped, safer, newer and more powerful 2001-2002 TJ Magna, and probably not much off a verada, can be bought for the similiar
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #44
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Just to add to that... She is a real petrol head, and DOES know her cars! As some of you will remember she was always at Calder with me, with the Pursuit. (and is constantly at me with what mods I should be doing to the Turbo)
Her Beema reasons are German build quality, value for money over a jap, and BMW safety.....So, I don't think it's just the "cool look" with her friends.
No offense but i can't see how a 'real' petrol head can be interested in that shape BMW 318i, especially in auto. A real posers car.
BTW those model 3 series are a real step down from the BMW build quality from the 3, 5 and 7 series launched in the '80s too. The 3 series shape from the 80s (E30) is much better, more relaible and easier to work on too.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #45
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
No offense but i can't see how a 'real' petrol head can be interested in that shape BMW 318i, especially in auto. A real posers car.
BTW those model 3 series are a real step down from the BMW build quality from the 3, 5 and 7 series launched in the '80s too. The 3 series shape from the 80s (E30) is much better, more relaible and easier to work on too.
Who mentioned Auto?.... An Auto has NEVER been considered! (Not with ANY 4 cyl)
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 15-12-2005, 06:56 PM   #46
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Her Beema reasons are German build quality, value for money over a jap, and BMW safety.....So, I don't think it's just the "cool look" with her friends.
I think she's trying to pull the wool over your eyes. For the money, BMWs (whether new or old) are very poorly specced. For the same money, you can have a jap with more extras and fewer kms. As for build quality, with 100,000km+, its hardly going to impress - mum's BMW when it had that many kms had squeaks, rattles, etc.

I dont understand the myth of german build quality - its not that great. They're generally better designed/engineered, but its questionable whether they're any better put together.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #47
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

EL Fairmont would be easy to get at that money, have all the luxo features, and be easy and cheap to service, and convert to manual.

Or even a VS Berlina...
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #48
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Let her have the Beemer Charlie, she will love the car and love you, it may prove expensive later on, but that's life, at least she will have a period of happiness.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #49
kcaillin666
New Ford Owner

being 17 myself and owning a 250cc motorcycle lisenced its F#$king expensive for that.. yes the thought of learning to drive her own car is a valid point. its not worth blowing all her money on it, well all i can really say is just buy a bang round car for her then she mite start to love it and not want a beemer so much??
kcaillin666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 12:31 AM   #50
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

This is Charliewools daughter. Thanks for everyones advice. And by the way who said anything about driving an auto? LOL Now who can help me convice Dad to give me the Turbo Hrmmmm :
Old 16-12-2005, 12:37 AM   #51
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
This is Charliewools daughter. Thanks for everyones advice. And by the way who said anything about driving an auto? LOL Now who can help me convice Dad to give me the Turbo Hrmmmm :
Hi Danii, its a good start wanting a Ford....you do need to get some experience on the road before driving a car like this, plus you might beat the old mans quarter mile time at Calder...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 01:46 AM   #52
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if my dad won't give me his then you're not getting your dads : LOL

p.s... go on charlie.. get the girl her beamer :
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #53
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Yuppie!!

So watcha getting now? Still the Beeeeeeeema? :evil_laug
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #54
Gilesie
You gotta pay to play

I feel your pain charlie
my daughter was advised to sell her POS turbo capri
Huge money pit.
well she advised me that she was going Beema hunting
I went through all of the why not too`s, but she was determin
any way she pulls in the driveway with this

I AM A PROUD DAD

2003 Mazda Bravo (work truck)

1979 F100 Ambo
Gilesie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #55
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aint it funny how alot of us (Well mainly me) start off in a Ford?( I had a TE Corty) it must be the reason why im here. lol

Heres what I would look at (If she doesnt have a car by now)

EL or EF Monty
VS Calais or Berlina

Ahhh I cant think of much more lol.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #56
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

318I or 318IS arnt bad choices esp an E36 they are slow as ИИИИИ standard but i have a mates with remaped computer/shintzer exhaust and CAI running 110kw @ the rears not bad for a lil 4 cyl auto.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #57
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

My first car (at 17) was a 351 powered XD. I had been dreaming of owning a 351 powered car since I was about 10. I dont regret it, but in hidnsight it probably wasnt the smartest thing for me to buy.
I think that your daughter needs to learn from her own mistakes. You can always say I told you so, but if her heart is set on the BMW, dont stand in her way.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #58
Sledgehammer
Banned

The Holden Camira was a better car than the 318. Now that says something.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #59
HLC
Audi S3

get her a series 2 AU. good value for money.
Old 15-01-2006, 12:46 AM   #60
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
The Holden Camira was a better car than the 318. Now that says something.

Yeah! That your insane! The 318 is a fine car. Bit povo in its basic form, but they were built for a market. (Taxi)
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post