Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #31
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
nope, the NA XR6's are WAY under the restricted limits... the utes even more so.
Suprisingly enough, even the BA XT sedan is listed as a "restricted vehicle" according to http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf...edVehicles.pdf

So are all the BA utes, in fact it looks like there is not a single BA that is not on the list...
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:41 PM   #32
gtfpv
GT

mate either sell it or put it in the garage and buy a cheap car till your old enough . i'm sorry about your drama . but look after yourself the law can finish you mate . it aint worth it.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #33
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeR
I honestly dont think ive got a problem with my insurance.. Its under my dads name with me as primary driver and RACV had no problems with it.

The problems will come when you go to make a claim - all I am saying is that it is an awefully big risk to be taking. Accidents do happen no matter how good a driver you are, think about if it got written off and they refused to pay - do you have a lazy $40K lying around to replace it?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #34
FreezeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
The problems will come when you go to make a claim - all I am saying is that it is an awefully big risk to be taking. Accidents do happen no matter how good a driver you are, think about if it got written off and they refused to pay - do you have a lazy $40K lying around to replace it?
Yes i do understand what you are saying merlin, and it could happen.. Thats the risk i am taking though which is a pretty damn big one.

Yes i do have a lazy 40k laying around that would replace it, just to answer that question. ;) :1syellow1
FreezeR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #35
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

How long do you have the restiction for.
I say keep the car in the garage and drive a little box till the restriction dosn't apply anymore.
You might be able to replace your car in an accident but what about the other person's car if one did occur.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #36
fast66

Quote:
Yes i do understand what you are saying merlin, and it could happen.. Thats the risk i am taking though which is a pretty damn big one.

Yes i do have a lazy 40k laying around that would replace it, just to answer that question. ;) :1syellow1
Good on you for having the "lazy 40K laying around", but that will go towards the cost of repairing the Merc you may hit, and you wont have a car anymore!!
All I can say is be carefull.
fast66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #37
gozza

Quote:

buy me one then :
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #38
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep pretty sure utes are over Casper, believe it or not!
You could always find a relative in WA willing to let you change your address to their house and get a WA lisence. That could work, couldn't it? Then again i suppose it's the state your driving in that makes the rules, not where your liscenced. Worth a thought.

Otherwise, if you've got a year or less to go on your p's, pull off the badges, and don't drive on saturday nights!

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #39
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

/me waves his WA flag

/me waves the keys to the BA XR6T out the back

I feel sorry for you vics ... not
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #40
R0bb0
AUII XR8 220

well i'll be.... I didn't realise that you couldn't drive a turbo on your 'P's. What state is that in? The're talking about implementing laws like that in Queensland because of the road toll.
R0bb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #41
AuFairlaneV8

Silly laws p platers cant drive turbo cars in nsw, cant drive a diahastu copen but can drive a bmw m3
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #42
FreezeR

Im thinking ill pull the badge off and see how i go.. Ive got untill november next year, then ill be able to drive it without worrying about the police pulling me over.
But as one member already said they've probably got an intelligence report out on my car so i'd be risking more fines and possibly demerit points.
The other option i guess is garage it and drive my parents other car..
Old 22-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #43
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuFairlaneV8
Silly laws p platers cant drive turbo cars in nsw, cant drive a diahastu copen but can drive a bmw m3
Nup. RTA has changed the rules again, contry to what Wheels and Motor said

Vehicle and passenger conditions for P1 and P2 licence holders
On 11 July 2005 the NSW Government introduced two changes to the provisional licence scheme. Both changes are new initiatives to help reduce the young driver road toll. Vehicle and passenger conditions are described below.

Prohibited vehicles
The prohibited vehicle condition restricts all new provisional (P1 and P2) drivers from driving certain vehicles while on their provisional licence. The scheme aims to prohibit young driver access to vehicles that are overrepresented in young driver crashes.

Prohibited vehicles are those with:

Eight or more cylinders.
A turbocharged engine.
A supercharged engine.
Engine performance modifications.
Certain high performance six cylinder engine vehicles.A list of prohibited vehicles is available to view and download from the box at the bottom of this page. The list will be updated as required.

These 6 Cylinder vehicles being:
BMW M and M3.
Honda NSX.
Nissan 350Z.
Porsche (all models).
Mercedes Benz SLK350.

Please note: the list is a guide only and subject to change at any time without notice. If your vehicle is not on the list but would otherwise be considered to be a ‘prohibited vehicle’, you must not drive it, unless exempt.

Guidelines for light vehicle modifications, including engine modifications, are also available to view and download at the bottom of this page (refer to Vehicle standards information sheet VSI 06).

The prohibited vehicle condition does not apply to:
Existing provisional (P1 and P2) licence holders prior to 11 July 2005, unless they are disqualified for a serious driving offence committed on or after 11 July 2005.
Learner licence holders.
Vehicles with diesel powered engines.
Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 698cc (1/01/1992 - 1/12/11997).
Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible Turbo 4 659cc (1/10/2003- ).
Smart vehicles (all models).
If you are unsure if your vehicle is prohibited or you would like more information about P1 and P2 licence conditions phone 13 22 13.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #44
lizardmech

The victorian restricted car list contains numerous errors such as incorrect power to weight calculations, banning a model that has an optional v8 then not listing only the v8 model is banned and adding cars to the list that never seem to have been sold or imported here.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #45
bscampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS99 Ute man
how do you afford that sort of a car at that age!!
That's what I was going to ask!
Quote:
Have you been working since you were 10 years old?
What sort of job have you got?

Just curious...

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #46
FreezeR

4th year appretice carpenter.. As i said in another post, i get paid around $700- $1000 a week depending on how much overtime i do.. usually around an hour a day.
So one weeks pay will cover the monthly cost of the car without affecting my life style at all..

As for the large amount of money i have, thats due to me losing half of my left thumb in an accident at trade school.. Thats only apart of the money i have, its in investment funds and shares atm.. All safely tucked away for the future.

So i hope that answers everyones questions on why i can afford a car like this when im only 21..
Old 22-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #47
SVR73
Mr Polish

These rules governing P plate drivers seem stupid to me
I say let them drive any car but make sure that they regularly undergo compulsary driving courses for a while with their cars until they learn how to drive them and teach them responsibility

How are they going to learn to drive these great cars if they have to drive low powered cars for a few years
When I was seven I was driving cars and motorbikes, admittedly on the farm but still at high speed

It's not the road rules that today's young people can't handle, it's lack of experience
Teach them from a very young age and then give them experience in many different cars when they get their L plates and again at P plate level
Old 22-09-2005, 10:04 PM   #48
niko
likes falcon's

apparently ba xt's are banned i seen it on the vicroads restricted vehicles page
Old 22-09-2005, 10:09 PM   #49
xespac

ay freezer, if you want to drive a high powered car....you should turn it into a sunday only driving vehicle, an buy an el-cheapo $1000 car to hammer around for work etc. That's what i'd be doing....but i'm not in that situation atm :P
xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #50
EL XR8

I don't know if its still true or not, but i always thought, if the car was under your name, you weren't allowed to put the insurance under your fathers name. Otherwise they wont insure you at all. Because how many young guys try to do this (i was one of them a couple of years back).
Thats what i was lead to believe...???
EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #51
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Jebus christ, I need to be less careful around power tools at work!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #52
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Jebus christ, I need to be less careful around power tools at work!
I'd rather my thumb then compensation of $50,000 for the loss of it.
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #53
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

k'noath
Old 22-09-2005, 11:02 PM   #54
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE

I could go 50k....but then having no thumb would suck...
how much do you think a little finger would be worth?

Knowing my luck i'd cut it off at home and my parents wouldn't pay out :P

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #55
FreezeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
Your spot on there mate, i'd rather my thumb back. I'd give the money back straight away..

But it is only half, so i was lucky could have been my whole hand ;)
Old 23-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #56
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR8
I don't know if its still true or not, but i always thought, if the car was under your name, you weren't allowed to put the insurance under your fathers name. Otherwise they wont insure you at all. Because how many young guys try to do this (i was one of them a couple of years back).
Thats what i was lead to believe...???

I think your dad just knew how bad a driver you were and wouldn't put it in his name :hihi:
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #57
bscampbell

Man, I didn't know half a thumb was worth $50,000!
You don't get much more than that for a hand, arm, foot or leg do you (based on an incapacitation to payout ratio, ie. a whole hand is obviously a LOT worse and you would get what...$200,000)?
Lose two thumbs in separate incidents and you've got $100,000 already, unless a whole thumb is worth $100,000! Lose all digits in separate incidents and you've got yourself $1,000,000! Surely that's how it works!

I don't know about anyone else, but that seems rediculously excessive to me!
This is in relation to payouts generally, not specifically directed at Freezer.

I know someone who has a genuinely buggered back...they were lucky to take home $50,000 (I think it was much less), and still find it hard to get money from insurance for ongoing treatment and drugs. They are VERY limited in what they can do, and even simple things, or playing with their grandkids, is difficult physically, but worse still, emotionally!

Hmmmm...

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #58
xespac

I dunno, I think the main focus would be to do with the pain and suffering you'd have gone through....and probably a bit of the money was for the loss of a thumb....I dunno, only guessing.... but just looks that way =)

Though, give me a million and i'll consider cutting my finger nail off....only the finger nail =)
xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #59
FreezeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscampbell
Man, I didn't know half a thumb was worth $50,000!
Worth more then 50k ill tell ya that much.. Plus it wasnt my dominant hand either..

Theres a whole book on it, tells you how much for certain things. I think i saw your non-dominant foot would be worth around $250k depending on the accident. But i say this to all of you, its something you dont want to do to yourself especially at 18 when i done it..

Plays with ya mind a bit.. But lucky i got mates that joke around a fair bit and that made it real easy to deal with.. The best nickname ive got out of it is " The Fonz"...