Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Brisbane drivers driven to distraction by emergency vehicle sirens

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
Did you not notice that I said I was following the ambulance??? Back then, a good way to get where you were going, QUICKLY, if the opportunity presented itself was to follow an emergency vehicle. whether you believe me or not is irrelevant. I was there, you were not!
So you were being reckless to
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One is trying to save lives!
They are still being reckless, if they are 5m out from a red light sitting on 70kph.
Old 15-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you are laying on the road bleeding to death and you want the ambulance to be taking its time getting to you? And I said the ambulance was doing 70, not me. He was pulling away from me and went onto the opposite side of the road. I did not. Why are you trying to pick an argument? Is it in your nature to try deliberately aggravating members on this forum or is it just me? Or do you just doubt everything you see. Try reading the whole post and comprehending everything in it accurately.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you are laying on the road bleeding to death and you want the ambulance to be taking its time getting to you? And I said the ambulance was doing 70, not me. He was pulling away from me and went onto the opposite side of the road. I did not. Why are you trying to pick an argument? Is it in your nature to try deliberately aggravating members on this forum or is it just me? Or do you just doubt everything you see. Try reading the whole post and comprehending everything in it accurately.
I'm not picking an argument, I am simply expressing my opinion that any emergency vehicle about to go through a red light at 70kph is reckless regardless of the circumstances.

Quote:
Back then, a good way to get where you were going, QUICKLY, if the opportunity presented itself was to follow an emergency vehicle.
In 16 years driving fire appliances I've seen knobs do this often, and it is reckless and dangerous.
Old 15-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Fantome

With 23 years driving fire appliances and 14 years instructing others in response driving under my belt I just might stick my oar in the water on this one.

I have to agree with "Magpie" that through the red light at 70kph is reckless. The accepted standard of dealing with red lights is to treat them as "stop" signs, i.e. come to a complete stop at the red light, leave the party lights and bells going, when you are sure that all are aware of you and giving way hit it and continue.
I agree if you are waiting on an emergency vehicle you want it to arrive as quick as possible and it can seem like an age if someone is suffering, but what you DON'T want is for it not to arrive at all due to it being in an accident.
By the way, one thing we really watch for at intersections is other emergency vehicles converging on the same incident. Over the years there have been lots of these, have a search of youtube there is beauty on there of two firetrucks in the US, sorry I don't know how to post the link.
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantome
By the way, one thing we really watch for at intersections is other emergency vehicles converging on the same incident. Over the years there have been lots of these, have a search of youtube there is beauty on there of two firetrucks in the US, sorry I don't know how to post the link.
So true Fantome

This one maybe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEXcpR8-FL8
Old 16-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Fantome

Yep, that's the one
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post