Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #31
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Casper went off toJimMock and got stuck at 15.024 for a few years..3000stallie headers /xorst..

The 14 second bracket seemed like a darn miracle to get 14's in an au back then.

Off to G&D Casper comes back with a 3500 stallie ,new extractors,xorst,tune,4:11 diff and pulls 14.5's!! 60 footers were in the 1.9's from memory.

Me..being conservative went a 2500 stallie ,4:11 lsd headwork I did in the shed and a fair sized cam average 14.4 on a bad day about 4 bests at 14.2 1/4 mile. I achieved the tuning by going haltech interceptor on top of the old edit tune for my previous setup. My gearbox is not edited.No shift kit..

Then we had tripower come along as well. The setup was said to be stock head ,Cam ,vernier gear ,3000 stall convertor,3.9's in the butt and edit tuned. He too ran a few 14.2's .

Now based on the above information I can deduce that tripowers' car had work done that gave it an advantage with a stock engine to match my setup. He got a 1.8 60 footer with 14.226 pass.I got a 14.241 pass with a 2.038 60 footer. Assuming all other things being equal,my wagon with tripowers stall convertor (with his extra 500 rpm stall speed) can run a flat 14.0 et. That is just by the stallie alone.So ..what if I went for a bit more
torque then a 13.9 is on the cards . Any other ideas to get these going?

Essentially a 500 rpm increase of stall speed is worth 0.2 second off your et.
1000 rpm should shave off 0.4 off your time at the 1/4.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again

Last edited by Stav; 05-09-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #32
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how much heavier IS the wagon than the sedans??
Old 05-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #33
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
I think our exhausts can be dramatically improved. Same as intake manifold. The intake is ok but not that good. As far as flow goes I really dont think the throttle body position is any good.They should have fitted it facing the other way or better a side draught straight into the head.
Cool.

Which part of the exhausts do you believe are the restriction, or need to be improved on?

I personally won't be doing anything further to my AU mechanically other than a tune at some stage, but it would be great to see an na AU in the 13's without too many mods.

The bit I struggle with is that those same mods on a different base will have much bigger results.

Re Casper's car, IIRC it was a VCT wasn't it? I'd imagine without that handicap (just for you RTSW!) it would've shaved a few tenths minus that 100kg.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #34
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Cool.

Which part of the exhausts do you believe are the restriction, or need to be improved on?

I personally won't be doing anything further to my AU mechanically other than a tune at some stage, but it would be great to see an na AU in the 13's without too many mods.

The bit I struggle with is that those same mods on a different base will have much bigger results.

Re Casper's car, IIRC it was a VCT wasn't it? I'd imagine without that handicap (just for you RTSW!) it would've shaved a few tenths minus that 100kg.
The main determinant of the exhausts effect on performance is the headers. I think that an optimal setup will need testing sizes,lengths of primaries and secondaries. From there back power will increase with the increased flow of the rest of the exhaust.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 AM   #35
SIKSIX
Its gone V

has anybody got an au i6 pushing power all the way to redline, because mine starts dieing out at about 5000rpm, i think that if my car kept pulling strong till redline it will help, i was thinking of retarding my cam a bit to alter this but im not sure if its worth it. and currently haven't got the time to try but will get around to this one day.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #36
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Minw was still making power at redline ... but mine wasn't making the power Stav's was .... but I did have an aftermarket cam in an EGAS engine.

Guess we might have to see what eventuates from ayeyew's Falcon soon after the cam and edit go in.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #37
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
has anybody got an au i6 pushing power all the way to redline, because mine starts dieing out at about 5000rpm, i think that if my car kept pulling strong till redline it will help, i was thinking of retarding my cam a bit to alter this but im not sure if its worth it. and currently haven't got the time to try but will get around to this one day.
The biggest blessing I have is my haltech interceptor.In learning about tuning I have always chased good acceleration.When the tune is right the car pulls very quickly to the rev limiter.If any part of the tune is out then it does not hit the limiter. It changes gear sooner. ironically the better power you make through the rev range the higher revs you will hit.. Yes I have learnt alot in the past 12 months. It is very hard to get this state of tune though and keep it.

I think your car will go slower if you retard the cam but you can try it.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #38
Stav
Smile

One other theory..I think our throttle bodies are poor choice by ford for even a stocker.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #39
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
how much heavier IS the wagon than the sedans??
About 150kgs

Siksix..a good tune is worth 0.5 seconds down the 1/4 . Youre nearly there mate. Even on a bad run youre car is capable of a flat 14 second pass.

Old 18-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #40
WAS 240
Blue blooded

I dont understand how grechie's ea can run a NA 13.7 but the au cant?? whats the deal there
WAS 240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #41
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dunwell
I dont understand how grechie's ea can run a NA 13.7 but the au cant?? whats the deal there
Maybe because there's not enough trying ? In any case Grechie is a legend.As the au's get ever more popular they will go faster. I have no excuses for not achieving a 13 but I do have a few reasons. Once they get sorted the wagon will run deep int 13 second territory.
The amount of problems having to be fixed have stopped me from spending any further funds since July 2007.From that time running a 14.5 down to 14.241 has been all from my novice tuning. If Casper hung around he would be doing 13's by now for sure.

Youve got me motivated to do my next round of mods ..Next 30 days it begins in stages.

Old 19-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #42
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dunwell
The AU sedan is 115kg's heavier than the EA sedan, there's your half a second....
Old 19-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #43
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Maybe because there's not enough trying ? In any case Grechie is a legend.As the au's get ever more popular they will go faster. I have no excuses for not achieving a 13 but I do have a few reasons. Once they get sorted the wagon will run deep int 13 second territory.
The amount of problems having to be fixed have stopped me from spending any further funds since July 2007.From that time running a 14.5 down to 14.241 has been all from my novice tuning. If Casper hung around he would be doing 13's by now for sure.

Youve got me motivated to do my next round of mods ..Next 30 days it begins in stages.
Create a new thread with details when you get going will be awesome to see further progress.

Full Momo and Leather Trim.
Redback exhaust, high flow cat and Pacey Extractors.

SELLING MY GENUINE 18" AZZUROS WITH TYRES.
FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
XR6_4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #44
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWxTU...eature=related

anyone seen that ^^, i get annoyed because everytime i see an AU race, it gets flogged.

My plans are G&D CAI, 3.89 gears, 4480 comp headers, 2.5" straight through + aerochamber or possible flowmaster super 44, high flow cat, 3000 stall, flash tune. ive got about half of that so far, once this first "Stage" is complete, where is the next best place to find power?
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #45
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
my car also did this on the dyno a while ago, didnt make power after about 5100rpm, but it still feels like its putting around the streets, eh. i dunno.will see what happens, have to get off my a** and do some modding after the stereo.meh

ps. i still gave it juice on the dyno till it hit its 5800rpm redline.lol.used to be 5500rpm but with the exhaust it was raised.
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #46
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_4EVA
Create a new thread with details when you get going will be awesome to see further progress.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=35042

heres the bus...from the beginning

Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #47
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Whatever happened to Casper btw?
I took a break.. but I'm still alive.. that is until admin can come up with an excuse ban me lol.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #48
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

welcome back...
Old 05-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #49
BoostedT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
lol. I expect to be banned shortly but thanks.

BoostedT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #50
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I took a break.. but I'm still alive.. that is until admin can come up with an excuse ban me lol.
What is the latest on the black beast???
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 AM   #51
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

I believe part of the problem actually goes back to the engine management AU's were the first to use a real eec5 with full 4bank bin, ef/el were called eec5 but actually used a eec4 style 2bank bin.

Now my tuning info/exp is with the v8's so it may or may not be the same case with the 6cyls because they don't use a maf.

I've been doing some tuning mod's on my v8 with the moates gear, and been going thru the engine management very throughly, and the eecv functions in slightly differently ways to earlier eec IV's, now with all these tuning tools you can tune the car on the dyno get mixtures and timing set 100% for full power, but in real world driving the ecu does a lot of little ign , and fuel lean outs at various stages of driving that just stop it from performing its 100% best, but yet pass smog laws.

Basically most of the problem comes down to that engine load changes with engine acceleration, and this is what eec5 calculates differently, instead of calculating a full throttle mixture at 2500rpm, it calculates a load, at which it calculates a value off the fuel base table, that it goes thru about 6 fuel multipliers and then comes out with the amount of fuel required, but what happens is your engine is under a less'a load in first gear than say 3rd, so it actually tunes off a slightly different part of the fuel table then your 3rd gear would, cause 3rd has an increased load.

Old eec4 use to just calculate a full throttle mixture which it ran, but eec5 calculating a load dependant mixture. This can be seen if you do a datalog on the car tracing full throttle mixtures in all gears, on a relatively stock engine you won't notice much difference, but on a rather highly modified engine you will.

Now the other thing that was added into the real eec5 was things like tip in retard (when you pull your foot off and put it back on like in gear changing a manual, it the timing a set amount) and touque reduction on gear changes for auto's. That once again earlier eec4 style didn't have.

Now wether or not these are actually functioning on AU 6's i don't know, but the functions are there and were put in to stop warranty repairs on driveline components.

I believe the only true full way to get an AU running its true full potential is to change ecu to the likes of a motec or similar.

In america it had been done by quite a few to change back to the earlier eec4 version of A9L, because it performs better with modified engines.

Now if any of you are interested in tuning your AU, the moates gear is very cheap under $300 for everything to be able to tune your car and can do anything the other tuning programs can do, relying on you being willing to put in the time to work it out, at which me and several others can help.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #52
HLC
Audi S3

stiddy says:
Quote:
do me a favour, can you post that stiddy has gone 14.217 @ 97mph and a 1.90 60ft without extractors or tune.. so its not as hard as people think, they just need to do things right
stiddy says:
Quote:
i held my dad in my BA XR8 til just about 3/4 track ffs

cause stidds is banned.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #53
HLC
Audi S3

stiddy says:

Quote:
also add..

My setup - 3inch exhaust from welded onto the bottom half section of the stock manfiold, 3inch cat, T5 z-spec (different ratios), Hyper single 5 puck brass button clutch, 3.7 diff gears, a stupid big cam that hardly idles, a vernier cam gear (my own adjustments), premuim fuel, lots of revs, good tyres and I can drive the bloody thing
stiddy says:

Quote:
call them N00bs to lol

Old 05-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #54
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol he told me bout that the other week. The xr8 did 13.7 stock i think (maybe an intake).

Wish i had the xr6's engine. Bloody freak of a thing.

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #55
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
I believe part of the problem actually goes back to the engine management AU's were the first to use a real eec5 with full 4bank bin, ef/el were called eec5 but actually used a eec4 style 2bank bin.

Now my tuning info/exp is with the v8's so it may or may not be the same case with the 6cyls because they don't use a maf.

I've been doing some tuning mod's on my v8 with the moates gear, and been going thru the engine management very throughly, and the eecv functions in slightly differently ways to earlier eec IV's, now with all these tuning tools you can tune the car on the dyno get mixtures and timing set 100% for full power, but in real world driving the ecu does a lot of little ign , and fuel lean outs at various stages of driving that just stop it from performing its 100% best, but yet pass smog laws.

Basically most of the problem comes down to that engine load changes with engine acceleration, and this is what eec5 calculates differently, instead of calculating a full throttle mixture at 2500rpm, it calculates a load, at which it calculates a value off the fuel base table, that it goes thru about 6 fuel multipliers and then comes out with the amount of fuel required, but what happens is your engine is under a less'a load in first gear than say 3rd, so it actually tunes off a slightly different part of the fuel table then your 3rd gear would, cause 3rd has an increased load.

Old eec4 use to just calculate a full throttle mixture which it ran, but eec5 calculating a load dependant mixture. This can be seen if you do a datalog on the car tracing full throttle mixtures in all gears, on a relatively stock engine you won't notice much difference, but on a rather highly modified engine you will.

Now the other thing that was added into the real eec5 was things like tip in retard (when you pull your foot off and put it back on like in gear changing a manual, it the timing a set amount) and touque reduction on gear changes for auto's. That once again earlier eec4 style didn't have.

Now wether or not these are actually functioning on AU 6's i don't know, but the functions are there and were put in to stop warranty repairs on driveline components.

I believe the only true full way to get an AU running its true full potential is to change ecu to the likes of a motec or similar.

In america it had been done by quite a few to change back to the earlier eec4 version of A9L, because it performs better with modified engines.

Now if any of you are interested in tuning your AU, the moates gear is very cheap under $300 for everything to be able to tune your car and can do anything the other tuning programs can do, relying on you being willing to put in the time to work it out, at which me and several others can help.
I find your post a little confusing champ.
I have found that the eecv on the six cylinder has preset fuel maps for wide open throttle. At wot in any gear I have datalogged similar air fuel ratios.The main determinant is the tps.Once the ecu sees full throttle it spits in the preprogrammed fuel and has the knock sensing to pull timing out. Pottering around the eecv relies heavily on the ego sensor to read air fuel ratios then map air temp sensor,coolant sensor etc. The computer aims to bring air fuel ratio to stoiciometric 14.7 to 1 . At light throttle the same happens.

I know that the tune will give you some good gains but not as good as a smart modification.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #56
The Mighty Red

the Bseries n/a guys are not exactly setting land speed records with there modded twincam Barra engines ....I think we just have to except what Porsche has known all along, the I6 loves boost....the I6 is an incredibly strong piece of equipment that can take huge power but the only way to feed it this huge power is with boost, lots and lots of boost......

I know its not what you guys want to hear but from were I'm sitting the only quick Ford I6's are all boosted.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #57
Stav
Smile

Boosting properly can see an au into the 12,11 and maybe 10 second bracket. Ive always believed there is more in them but we havent found the key yet. Its not like the v8's which have alot of development done here and around the world.We are making headway with them blow for blow.It challenging..

Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #58
The Mighty Red

I certainly think an properly set up boosted AU would run consistent 11's and with development a 10 sec pass would certainly not be out of reach....
Old 05-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #59
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Red
the Bseries n/a guys are not exactly setting land speed records with there modded twincam Barra engines ....I think we just have to except what Porsche has known all along, the I6 loves boost....the I6 is an incredibly strong piece of equipment that can take huge power but the only way to feed it this huge power is with boost, lots and lots of boost......

I know its not what you guys want to hear but from were I'm sitting the only quick Ford I6's are all boosted.
The ba's do have more reciprocating weight but seem to have better flowing heads. My good friend Falcman is pulling around 170 rwkws with xorst and tune ..that is pretty amazing on a stock engine powered car. The best so far is in the high 13's for the ba's which has also been seen from the eseries cars as well but so far the au has still lagged behind..::(

Also note that the ba's have better ignition systems and slightly bigger throttle bodies..

Old 05-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #60
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Red

Porche WTF? They make flat motors.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post