Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2015, 11:28 PM   #31
69ISH

Default Re: Bloody Learner Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
That is a lot of drive line loss if that is the trap speed.
It is trap speed and the Mustang weighs 3500Lbs approx with me in it so driveline loss is about right for an auto with 9" unless I am missing something.???
69ISH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #32
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on you for letting her drive it.

Its good to have a different experience in a a range of cars so that the skills developed are universal.

Too bad though the original post humour was lost by some members here and went right over their heads
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #33
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ISH View Post
It is trap speed and the Mustang weighs 3500Lbs approx with me in it so driveline loss is about right for an auto with 9" unless I am missing something.???
Calculations still come out with just shy of 400 hp at the fly. I am always skeptical of claimed power figures. I have hit the track with many people who claim to have 500+hp. Only for ~300 of those horses to be on holiday when they get on to the straight.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #34
69ISH

Quote:
Calculations still come out with just shy of 400 hp at the fly. I am always skeptical of claimed power figures. I have hit the track with many people who claim to have 500+hp. Only for ~300 of those horses to be on holiday when they get on to the straight.
I think you have Fckd up on your calculations mate you will find that is just shy of 400 at the wheels. http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html
The 112MPH was run on 2 runs both times on plain jane street tyres so if it isn't making 500 at the flywheel it wouldn't be far from it.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #35
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Mate I understand your frustration a simple thread posted for a laugh, certainly gave me a giggle as the dad of many but one 13 going on 21 in her mind. Think you have to be a dad of one of these critters to catch on straight away ;)

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #36
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you have Fckd up on your calculations mate you will find that is just shy of 400 at the wheels. http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html
The 112MPH was run on 2 runs both times on plain jane street tyres so if it isn't making 500 at the flywheel it wouldn't be far from it.
I am not trying to turn this into an argument at all, just curious at how you arrived at the 500hp figure. The reason being that many stock XR6T's have run ~110MPH with 500lb's more weight, and only ~360hp at the fly.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #37
69ISH

Quote:
I am not trying to turn this into an argument at all, just curious at how you arrived at the 500hp figure. The reason being that many stock XR6T's have run ~110MPH with 500lb's more weight, and only ~360hp at the fly.
I can't comment on stock xr6 turbos as I know little about them as they are not my scene.
I have never had this engine on a dyno it was only built last October and I still want to swap the dart 195 heads out with a set trickflow 225s and also run a airgap instead of the RPM manifold, I have a 830 black diamond quickfuel carburetor to swapout the750 speed demon. After I find the coin and finish the upgrade it will go ona dyno for a tune but I am not a big believer in dyno figures as I believe most are horsepower happy.
I have always used the horsepower calculators and found them fairly accurate at least on old school cars. I had a 347 stroker in this before this engine which ran 103MPH which was dynoed at 295 RWHP
Old 04-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #38
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can't comment on stock xr6 turbos as I know little about them as they are not my scene.
I have never had this engine on a dyno it was only built last October and I still want to swap the dart 195 heads out with a set trickflow 225s and also run a airgap instead of the RPM manifold, I have a 830 black diamond quickfuel carburetor to swapout the750 speed demon. After I find the coin and finish the upgrade it will go ona dyno for a tune but I am not a big believer in dyno figures as I believe most are horsepower happy.
I have always used the horsepower calculators and found them fairly accurate at least on old school cars. I had a 347 stroker in this before this engine which ran 103MPH which was dynoed at 295 RWHP
That does seem very dyno happy. Just for comparison my little 302 with 210 rwhp managed 102 MPH.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:49 PM   #39
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Some awesome losses of perspective in this topic

Congrats to the girls for their new statuses as drivers, they have some great wheels to learn in!
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #40
LTDHO
The one and only

It's good to see a thread that is a little light hearted and not having a sook!

Providing learner drivers with experience it the key. Learning in just one small car isn't learning IMO. There is so much missing from driver draining. /rant.

Again 69ISH, well done mate!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post