Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #31
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Seriously though, with a budget of $15,000 you may as well forget any decent Turbo - will be a money pit in the waiting.

As 4vman has indicated, for the price a low k AU2 - AU3X8 would have to be the best choice - a windsor has a very nice note compared to no note.

Good luck though - but it's gotta be a V8.
i rest mine
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #32
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

With your budget a tidy windsor powered car is probably a wise suggestion made by some wise folk.

The 5.4 litre V8s can be much more expensive to fix than the Turbo 6s if something goes seriously wrong, and in some ways they actually have more to go wrong with their complicated and expensive valvegear and reputation for eating themselves if some dill has put underdrives on them without modifying the oil pump.

If only having that budget though and without being able to afford any serious mechanical dramas the safest bet would be the newest XR6 you could afford.

If you can afford to cope if things go wrong then a newest you can afford stock XR8 or XR6T.

If you can stretch to 20 you will be getting close to early GT or early F6 territory. But they are expensive to keep in brakes etc. so probably not the wisest choice for someone on a budget. Although their value will not drop as readily as other choices as pretty much all the depreciating has been done.

A year ago, actually probably even longer, I saw an absolutely immaculate series one BA GT in Blueprint at Etheridge Ford, absolutely stunning vehicle and it went for about 25k. It was one of the nicest looking GTs I have seen and would have made an excellent keeper. These cars are probably closer to 20k now.

If you are on a budget you also have to factory fuel and insurance costs. Check with your insurer what it would cost to insure a V8 or turbo car. Also fuel costs. The 6s definitely win on that score. And the newer they are the less fuel they use as economy improvements from model to model have been immense. And going forward you can be assured that petrol prices are only going one way, and that is up.

Last edited by mcnews; 19-01-2011 at 05:41 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #33
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your brain says Turbo
But you heart + gut say V8

ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #34
hypa
2005 Ba mkII xr6

Yea I dunno what to do :( lol maybe a wrecked xr6t running gear into n/a Ba xr6 ??
Old 19-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #35
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypa
I'm unsure wether I want to get a v8 or turbo car I love v8 sound but turbo is more fun inspire me to choose a path

Cheap low K E-Series turboed.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #36
hypa
2005 Ba mkII xr6

Hard to find them not?
Old 19-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #37
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Hard to find them not?
Is a few turbo-ed E-series going around.

Just as easy to buy a non-turbo-ed one and slap a kit on. For under 10g you should be able to build a good fun car. Turbo kits can be had from 3K, add about 1k for install. My snort stage 2 kit got me 240hp@ the wheels (on par with a BA XR6T) while untuned, running rich, and with a restrictive exhaust ( unopened stock motor too)

All depends om what you want from a car.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure what coloured undies to wear... maybe i should start a thread.. or three.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #39
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Do you want a car that is legal or roadworthy?, something to consider when looking at modified cars.

Can you get it roadworthied at a later date if you need to!

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #40
hypa
2005 Ba mkII xr6

So do the e series have a stronger motor internal wise? Why can't I chuck a turbo on my Ba would there be problems if I kept it low boost ??
Old 19-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #41
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

is this what your are looking for?....

Old 19-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #42
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

or

Old 19-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #43
hypa
2005 Ba mkII xr6

Hahahaahah
Old 19-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #44
hypa
2005 Ba mkII xr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
I'm not sure what coloured undies to wear... maybe i should start a thread.. or three.....
I think you should wear white ones
Old 19-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #45
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best STOCK example you can find with the lowest K's, modified vehicles in you price point may very well be ticking time bombs, especially with high K's..
Keep some cash in reserve because its almost garanteed you'll want to fix or change something.

Old 19-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #46
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
So do the e series have a stronger motor internal wise? Why can't I chuck a turbo on my Ba would there be problems if I kept it low boost ??
Haven't even done a headgasket (touch wood) on mine, limit is about 7-9psi.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #47
hypa
2005 Ba mkII xr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Do u think I could push around 7 psi on a Ba xr6 n/a?
Old 19-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Will it pass a PROPER roadworthy and is it insurable at a reasonable rate with a reputable insurer????

Old 19-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #49
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige

Seriously though, consider what you require the car for

is it for daily transport
do you want to modify at a later date
economy
have you considered modifying what youn already have

At the end of the day, you have to make the decision, but an unmolested version, of whatever vehicle you choose, is a good starting point.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Will it pass a PROPER roadworthy and is it insurable at a reasonable rate with a reputable insurer????
Haven't had a RWC done yet as i need to travel 6hrs to get one, need a tune first so the emissions test can be done as a engineers cert is worthless without one.

Insurance is happy with it (NRMA) surprising, but changing soon as they keep on devaluing it from my agreed value of 8k.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #51
hypa
2005 Ba mkII xr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr

Seriously though, consider what you require the car for

is it for daily transport
do you want to modify at a later date
economy
have you considered modifying what youn already have

At the end of the day, you have to make the decision, but an unmolested version, of whatever vehicle you choose, is a good starting point.
daily driver i dont wont anything over the top 250-350rwhp is fine at the moment i have a ba xr6 n/a i would love to put on a turbo kit and run like 7 psi but i dont know how the driveline / motor would hold up??
Old 19-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #52
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
daily driver i dont wont anything over the top 250-350rwhp is fine at the moment i have a ba xr6 n/a i would love to put on a turbo kit and run like 7 psi but i dont know how the driveline / motor would hold up??
What ever money you spend on modifying your N/A XR6 you'll lose plus some when you sell.
It will cost less and you'll be better off buying a factory turbo than modifying...

Old 19-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #53
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Here's a new idea - How about a supercharged E series V8? The windsors are a strong motor and will handle a few pounds of boost - just don't rev the nuts off it and it will be as reliable as a wood burning stove. You could buy an EF or EL V8 for next to nothing, and buy a blower kit with change left over from your $15k for a decent stereo. Then sell your NA BA 6 and buy some beer.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #54
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

AU XR8 Ute is where my 15k would go, some people don't like the look of the sedans but the ute is undeniably badass. Don't bother trying to squeeze a turbo in under 15k, you will probably be buying an average example at best.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #55
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can have my '03 WRX for $15k. Stock as a rock :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #56
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Here's a new idea - How about a supercharged E series V8? The windsors are a strong motor and will handle a few pounds of boost - just don't rev the nuts off it and it will be as reliable as a wood burning stove. You could buy an EF or EL V8 for next to nothing, and buy a blower kit with change left over from your $15k for a decent stereo. Then sell your NA BA 6 and buy some beer.
Daily driver? economically Insurable? will it pass a Proper roadworthy?

Old 19-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #57
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't care too much over power because if the car is too fast then I would just lose my licence. V8's sound good at all speeds. And are still pretty fast anyway.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #58
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

jump on boosted falcon searh malaki and he has a legal EA AIT turbo
Old 19-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #59
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

If the Budget is 15K i'd either get a EL or AU XR8 and spend the money you saved on service items that it may be required like bushes, shocks, clutch tyres, fresh fluids front to back, new leads, coil packs, ect.

Getting a BA XR6T or XR8 and having something go wrong in the engine department will soon see you looking at a bill of over 10K.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #60
hypa
2005 Ba mkII xr6

yea thats what i might have to do look at something a bit older probably EL im not a huge fan of the AU shape