Toyota Camry 3 0.03%
Toyota Aurion 64 0.62%
Fiat Bambino 10,016 97.21%
Spaceship 66 0.64%
Voters: 10303. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #31
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i said spaceship, closest thing to an AU ....
sucks fuel like no tomorrow
REALLY big but no space inside
controls (dash) is kept as cheap as possible as all the money is spent on building the thing
and goes like a rocket :P

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #32
DK30RB

Definately the Aurion...

Better built, reliable and a much much smoother engine than the ford.

I drove a mates BA XR6 the other day got it up to 3,000rpm and it felt very rough. Got straight into an Aurion and the engine is silky smooth by comparison.

Quicker in a straight line than falcon, commodore and magna.

Looks better,

And has better fuel economy.

Base models in all makes are bland, however would take an Aurion ZR6 with standard leather, 3d display, trip computer, push button start, electric seats etc etc any day.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #33
gozza

Don't know why Holden invested so much money yet kept that crappy 4spd for the lower models
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #34
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The aurion and camry have exactly the same dimensions... Its just a play on the public... Notice that toyota no longer have a V6 Camry but instead have the Aurion. Bah, its just the V6 version of the camry. Its not a big car!!! Engine displacement alone shouldnt be the qualifying criteria... Does a Z8 qualify as a large car? Its got 8 cylinders?

I'd go for the 380... What a warrenty!!!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

how come there is over 10000 hits on the fiat bambino???

Me personally, it would be a toss up between a mitsu 380 and a aurion.

Why the 380? Well the purchase price is very good from new, the 5-10 warranty is hard to refuse and they do look tough in black, dumped with a set of 18's and tint.

Why the aurion? Its a much more interesting design, seems to have good features. Can make them look pimpish with the right wheel combo, 200kw and 6spd is tempting.

Overall, Id still choose my subaru. Gotta love AWD!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #36
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

My Dad has a VE...It severly Struggles compared to the effortless 4.0L I6 in the Falcon...
In addition to that...He wont take the VE into Sydney any more...that Stretched design has created some shocking blind spots that have nearly got both him and my Mum K.O'd a few times. Barge **** car...small engine...old gear box...bad blind spots...Out of whats on the Poll... I'm taking the 380 GT thanks

Last edited by Casper; 10-05-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #37
mcnamg

other than moving the handbrake to the floor the camry interior is almost 100% the same as aurion and they both suck acres of plastic and the radio that lights the car up electric blue like a disco and cant be dimmed is terrible. The camry is gutless and the one i drove for a week which only had 1600k's on it had a terrible clunk in the steering when you brake.

The 380 maybe cheap and cheerful but it has a good warranty visibility is good and it has good power on hand and looks good with some rims tint and a spoiler so it gets my Vote
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #38
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would not get a Toyota simply because reliability alone is no reason for me to get a car. I want to enjoy driving...not turn to stone as the Corolla, Camry and Aurion are so adept at.

I don't mind the 380. Saw the sports model and I liked it. Interior looked nice I thought. I know little of the quality though. I was a fan of the TE Magna (onwards) though. The base model though? Not sure...

If I got a VE, I would NOT get a base model...no way. No less than a Calais for me. I'd settle for a Calais-V.

But Falcon all the way. For a base model it looks ok, great 6 cylinder engine and ZF transmission tops it off.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #39
Bitmap

I would never buy anything else but a Ford for myself (for my wife is a different story).
But if Ford did go belly up tomorrow I would keep my current Falcon till it died then would buy the Commodore.
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #40
Jesk
certified nutter

along with sourbastard I'd go the fiat bambino, I'll admit quirky little cars are my first love!, lemme see smart car w00t yeah!! the brabus spec roadster would rock my world!
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #41
Paxton
Cobblers!

380. I was going to get one for the Mrs, however they hit the market a shade (6 weeks) too late. The aren't better built, but shite, what a Warranty. 5 years is matched only by Hyundai. If it was Unlimited Kms, I would look at one for a Company car.

After driving enough Rent-a-Camrys, I have sworn off anything 4 Cylinder from Toyota, however if their V6 is anything like the awful V6 in the Camry, I wouldn't touch an Aurion with a barge pole. Highly Strung and no balls down low, which I am used to.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #42
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Voted Aurion. Wouldn't mind an E-series either for the engine, but they depreciate too fast. Outside of Aussie cars I'd get a Honda Legend, Merc (any) or Beemer (any).

Would NEVER touch ANY Fiat, not even with a 10-foot pole!!!
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #43
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Should have added 'walk' or "keep old car'!!! Chose 380, reasonably good car
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #44
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Aurion may have the least torque but it is also the lightest car of the group. The in-gear response from 80-120kph (4.3 seconds according to wheels) is by far the quickest.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #45
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmuscle1965
Did you pass english at school mate! :
_ it seem like that you dont understand the question more like it mate
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #46
andrewts
White Car Driver

I'd buy a Holden Commodore.

The Aurion is OK, makes for a nice cruiser, but the FWD isn't ideal. The boot is spacious, but you can't see it, the light in there is a joke. The interior is surprisingly roomy for what it is, but at the same time, it seems tacky. The stereo surround is more suitable as an X-ray screen, and the stereo is rubbish to boot. The performance at full haul is impressive, but you only get it at full haul. The transmission is fixed at shifting at 6000RPM no matter how hard the engine can go. It is also rough when loading gears (N to R or D).

The 380 is a cracker of a car. The engine is sweet, but the gearbox is a bit clunky and indecisive at times. The interior is a little bit plasticy, the door trims are quite flimsy. The interior is reasonably pleasant however, but the boot is too small.

The VE is a mixed bag. One problem is the lack of power off the line. The ride is smooth, confident, and handling is quite sturdy. The interior is a plastic paradise, and the price (without A/C) is a bit high. Despite all this, it's the big Aussie lump of garbage that, if Ford were to collapse, I would look at right up front. The right wheels spin, and there is much local support and knowledge.

The Camry is better because it has a normal handbrake. But, it's downfalls are that it doesn't look as cool as the Aurion, and it has a weak 4 cyl engine.

The Fiat Bambino is a cool little car, but I'm not sure it meets the requirements for size and power.

A spaceship is a little impractical, as the high price, lack of airbags and excess fuel consumption make it a hard vehicle to live with.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #47
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

I'd by the 380 before any thing else and ONLY if it ment me keeping my testicles.... The VE is ugly as baboons bum (couldn't say wat i would have liked too ... too rude) and also on the VE as all holdens WHERE DID ALL THE ROOM GO? always feel clostraphopbic (if that is the correct spelling) in holdens. And if the BA xts really do have the same power as the XR6 (6 NO turbo) that my old boy has ... I'd never look at any other car in a base serries so yea let me catch the bus! with both left and right nut.
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #48
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #49
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven both VZ (current company car) and VE (old company car - don't ask, long story) and can tell you that the VE is streets ahead of the old VZ shitter - the worst car I have ever driven without a doubt. Period!

The only thing I liked about VE though, was throttle response. Initial throttle response is fairly aggressive, which suits my driving style

Everything else about the car is seriously cruddy. The interior is not only dark and drab, but you can barely see out of the bloody thing! The green dials and display give you a headache. The steering is better than VZ, but still vague. The auto is O.K. for something that dates back to the 80's. The engine is gutless. No torque, the bloody thing kicks back at least a gear (sometimes two!!!) up any sort of incline and it sounds like blocks of wood bashing together. Horrid! And trust me, it's not my one eye that's made the assesment. I went into the thing with high expectations, being a billion odd dollar car and all.

The thing does handle well for a base model though.

The BA/BF Falcon is streets ahead! WAY better steering. Better interior. Better vision. Better handling. Better everything really. Then there's the engine! The 4.0 litre straight six is one of the most lovely devices you will find in a base model car!

Not in one way is VE a better car, let alone VZ!!!

The Australian buying public is seriously queer buying more of these things than any other car on the market!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #50
andrewts
White Car Driver

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
I've driven both VZ (current company car) and VE (old company car - don't ask, long story)
Is there some sort of short version, or like a keyword or something? Did you stack it?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #51
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

A terrible choice but id pick the 380 i think, casue i enjoy floggin cars i dont really respect, therefore its the 380, but if i did get one id keep it till i finally could afford a late model Pursuit ute.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #52
lotto

aurion-enough said-finish -reliability-comfort-body style-lowered to the floor -black -massive chrome rims-
lotto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #53
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
Is there some sort of short version, or like a keyword or something? Did you stack it?
Worked for one branch - had a VE

Recently went back to the old branch I used to work at and had to give up the VE for the old VZ shitter that was already there - now got VZ

Will be busting my balls to get a Falcon in two months (when the lease ends). Although I'm looking into a novated lease, but still don't fully understand how it works...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #54
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had to make the choice 2 months ago, i really wanted a BF XR6 but both Westpoint and Strapp ford wern't interested in selling me one!!! ended up with Duhig ford but cause the other 2 were jerking me around i missed that! so i got a 380 platinum. the lease had expired and uni was starting i needed a car quick. before that in 2003 I was going to get the BA XR6, but ended up with a Ralliart Magna. i get them on lease so ill decide again in 3 years.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #55
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO_XR6
A terrible choice but id pick the 380 i think, casue i enjoy floggin cars i dont really respect, therefore its the 380
haha im with you there!
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #56
Bent8
Long live the GT !

None of them (not even the spaceship )

If I can't have my Falcon V8, then I'll just walk everywhere... :

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #57
QualityCounts

I love my Rav4. I had it for 13 months and it suits my needs. The best feature is the cavernous underfloor storage that's big enough to fit all my groceries from the shopping trolley! However, for a base local V6 I vote for the AT-X. For a V8, the SSV gets my thumbs up ... until I see the new Orion V8.
QualityCounts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #58
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A FIAT?

You know what the say about FIATs ?

Fix It Again Tony.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #59
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
A FIAT?

You know what the say about FIATs ?

Fix It Again Tony.
My dad used to have one and I bet he'll agree with you on that lol.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #60
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
Guys, dont say "VE" without having a look at one. My boss got a base model Omega last week and inside the thing is shocking. Its so uninteresting to look at. I couldn’t live with the thing.
I'm with you on this, I wouldn't want to sit in one... can't stand the look of it. But the real problem folks aint the looks, its the amount of quality issues they have. One guy at work has had his VE at the dealer with various issues at least 8 times.
I'd go the 380... its a better car then most give it credit for.