Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #31
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyway tuners can edit our software so i can we can get the throttle to blip on downshifts on our fg's?

if so ill be trading for a gt..
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #32
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
How do you blip on a downshift in an Auto?

Guess you left foot braking?

As Mcnews said A6 with Rev Matching software in FGII would be a selling point for sure and sound sensational.

The A6 6 packs agre getting mighty quick, one miss shift or a dead average launch at he drags and they will have a stock 8 or 6T for that matter.
You can left foot brake to blip if you have some road speed built up or if you are not going over the top then just push the lever foward and give the throttle a blip before entering the corner. By doing this you are matching your revs with your road speed so you will not get that 'wind down' effect which is the car bringing the revs up to raod speed via the drivetrain.

Not sure if I can really explain it properly, however, as mentioned it has the same effect as the old 'heel n toe' downchange in a manual. As long as you are not going to hard it will not hurt it....
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #33
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Really, I would love my ZF to do it. And a V8 with a ZF doing that for you would sound sensational.... Really, it is only a software tweak to do it one would imagine as the ZFs do it in other cars I believe.
It does sound horn.....
Old 15-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #34
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Good info, so you blip in that space while it's changing gears as obviously if it has engaged the lower gear you would just be accelerating, must take some timing practice.. atleast in manual you control when the clutch is releasing.
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #35
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does take a bit of practice to get it right, its about a half a second gap.
Old 15-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #36
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I drove one just 2 weeks ago and while the box shifts smoothly, it seems to be confused easily. It tended to take a second or so to make up its mind, particularly hill climbing or sudden jabs at the throttle. There was a noticable lag between sinking your right foot and the following downshift.
Couldn't agree more. Quite a few of my customers have SV6's, which I must say on
a whole are a nice car to drive, but as you said the gearboxes just don't really seem to know
what to do when ya get into them a bit.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #37
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_ba
Does take a bit of practice to get it right, its about a half a second gap.
I'll second that... takes quite a bit of practice, but once you've got it, it's well worth it. Might try and get some vids/sound clips up when I have time.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #38
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I bought Motor for the first time in a few months.

The auto in the VE SV6 is the newer 6L50 as opposed to the 6L80 in the V8 VE's. They really like the 6L50, which was to them far superior to the 6L80, which they said was ordinary.

PS Wouldn't throttle blipping just unnecessarily increase consumption? Although for aural and perhaps handling balance i can see its point.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #39
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are very good times for a 6cyl comparo. I was led to believe the Alloytec is a boat anchor? Very nippy little boat anchor...... And it's hard for me to say that because I think the I6 is the duck's guts.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #40
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
That's something I see ricer-boys doing to make sure those girls 3 blocks from where they are heard them as they rocked up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ DOOF DOOF BLIP KSSSH DOOF DOOF BLIP KSSSH
Ah that made me laugh :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #41
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I bought Motor for the first time in a few months.

The auto in the VE SV6 is the newer 6L50 as opposed to the 6L80 in the V8 VE's. They really like the 6L50, which was to them far superior to the 6L80, which they said was ordinary.

PS Wouldn't throttle blipping just unnecessarily increase consumption? Although for aural and perhaps handling balance i can see its point.
Do you like the sound of vacuums : i wouldnt see the point in a 6 potter
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #42
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

blip schmip... it obviously didn't help the commy around the track, leaving it 20 car lengths behind the Falc! Bah.
Old 15-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #43
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I can't believe how fast these sixes are now.
They are mighty quick these days! I had a BA NA6 and it went pretty hard for a six. But the FG is in a whole different league. I only have intake and cat back exhaust and the traction light is coming up at 65-70km/h when you give it a jab...! It impresses me for a simple six.

0-100 is happening in about 6 seconds flat with annoying interference from DSC, so it could get there faster if the road surface was better or the tyres were stickier... or if DSC is turned off.

Rolling jab

0-100 (excuse the radio)

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #44
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Damn i reckon my 5 Speed XR6 gets too 100 quicker then that.. Its lightening fast for what it is..
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #45
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Damn i reckon my 5 Speed XR6 gets too 100 quicker then that.. Its lightening fast for what it is..
Being a ute, would it be faster by default? Massive kudos if it does the 100 sprint below 6 seconds!
Old 16-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #46
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
It was quite a good article to read.
I can't believe how fast these sixes are now.
However what caught my eye was how much faster the XR6 was around the track. It really ripped the SV6.
My interpretation of the article was they never said the ZF was a bad auto at all, it just didn't have some of the features available within the new 6 spd in the SV6, they also believed the shifting was a little better in the Commodore.
I am sure with a new model ZF, Ford can get on top again.
Just because in one issue they say the ZF is the best and another when compared to a more recent 'box it comes second, doesn't mean they hate it, simply put with time comes better products. It happens, get used to it.
The MY10 VE Range uses the Low-rolling resistance tires which although decrease fuel economy and increase the comfort of a normal drive, don't quite cut it grip wise when racing.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #47
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Being a ute, would it be faster by default? Massive kudos if it does the 100 sprint below 6 seconds!
Nah it wont beat 6 seconds but i reckon its quicker then their claimed times....

It chirps into second pretty easy.. By far the best NA 6 ive ever driven!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 01:01 AM   #48
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Nah it wont beat 6 seconds but i reckon its quicker then their claimed times....

It chirps into second pretty easy.. By far the best NA 6 ive ever driven!!
Yep it's an absolute gem, considering anything in the 6.xx sec range used to be reserved for the V8s!
Old 16-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #49
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if the FG 6 is in another league, remember Drive got a ZF BF XT to run a 14.6 1/4mile a few years back.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #50
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Not sure if the FG 6 is in another league, remember Drive got a ZF BF XT to run a 14.6 1/4mile a few years back.
Another league from BA; close to BF.
Old 16-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #51
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

umm my ZF6 blips on downshifts?? Thats why my exhaust crackles lol. But my car did receive an update from Ford at the last service that completely changed the ZF..

Old Rides:
BF MkII 07 XR6 , Seduce in colour.... : Growler Airbox, custom exhaust and other goodies
AUII TE-FORTE
Monsoon Blue,Full Cobra Performance exhaust system, G+D CAI, Crow Cam, Tickford Suspension, TE50 Kit, RDA Slotteds, Ridin on Advanti 18's
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #52
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Geez the NA sixes are getting up there. Looks like im going to have to spend more coin on the XR8 to stay ahead :

I am thinking the same thing. :(
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #53
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I have a BF 4sp (with the usual additives) and I can tell you right away the power delivery is very addictive while remaining creamy smooth, and the note keeps me coming back for more! This FG however with the same mods I have will crack 13s all day. Yes. V8 owners be worried!
Old 17-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #54
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One point that might explain some things.....

The Holden in the MOTOR test was supplied by Holden's promo people.

Was the Holden at Bathurst the same vehicle (or from the same source) or was it just one from dealer stock?

Not that Holden have ever "fiddled" with demos for journos......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe Holden should offer a "Press pack" option on their cars..... a hidden extra 25kw...

Old 17-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #56
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
One point that might explain some things.....

The Holden in the MOTOR test was supplied by Holden's promo people.

Was the Holden at Bathurst the same vehicle (or from the same source) or was it just one from dealer stock?

Not that Holden have ever "fiddled" with demos for journos......
My bet is that Ford supplied the XR6 as well. You can't look at only one side.

And anyway, comparing the V6 to the one in the Caddy, the time is on the money.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #57
Jeddak
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and now for a different view.....from inside the transmission.
is every one aware that there is several multi plate clutch packs and brake bands in side ?
and when you change revs like in "blipping" this could cause slippage and and premature wear by burning the plates and bands???
the result is called "flaring" by the way, most expensive to fix up

just thought you would like to know..

and no, I m not against POWER,as a one time owner of a 5.9 lt Chrysler v8 and 265 Hemi Chrysler and then a 3.9 multi point EA and now the car listed below,
I love a strong engine ( she who must be obeyed keeps things in check though)its just that this "blipping" seems to no real vantage other than to woo the chicks?? :
O5 / 05 SX TS RWD Winter White, Driving Lights, Flaps, Racks, Turbo Grille, Ghia Bumper Trims and tailgate chrome , Colour Coded Mirrors,Tint,h/d towbar and chrome tow ball ,Sy chrome Beltline molds , leather and chrome shifter and Ghia Leather bound steering wheel
Stainless steel number plate frames and shifter quadrant, leather arm rest
All reconditioned SZ front suspension now in place
Chrome door pull inserts with chrome inner latch handles done
Jeddak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #58
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
My bet is that Ford supplied the XR6 as well. You can't look at only one side.

And anyway, comparing the V6 to the one in the Caddy, the time is on the money.
It's hard to tell. I can't see a large clear shot of the front numberplate. The press test cars used to have a little silver tag on the side of the plate
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #59
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddak
and now for a different view.....from inside the transmission.
is every one aware that there is several multi plate clutch packs and brake bands in side ?
and when you change revs like in "blipping" this could cause slippage and and premature wear by burning the plates and bands???
the result is called "flaring" by the way, most expensive to fix up

just thought you would like to know..

and no, I m not against POWER,as a one time owner of a 5.9 lt Chrysler v8 and 265 Hemi Chrysler and then a 3.9 multi point EA and now the car listed below,
I love a strong engine ( she who must be obeyed keeps things in check though)its just that this "blipping" seems to no real vantage other than to woo the chicks?? :
'blipping' is done to synchronise the revs of the engine to the drive, mainly to minimise the wear on the synchro's. being controlled by the computer i'd say that the rev matching will be pretty good. its always better to have the engine revs at, or higher than the drive.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #60
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

geez.. "blipping" auto's = : .

If you want to DRIVE a car get a manual.