Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #31
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Wooo-saaa....

Chill peoples, play the ball not the man.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 30-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #32
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
I think the OP only made a observation that the Ambulance seemed to struggle on acceleration,thats all. I used to drive once upon a time a F350 with a pantec and 351 V8 auto under the hood as a sales rep and it struggled maxing out at about 140kph .
I think he has made a valid observation . I would have thought good acceleration and handling would be required for these Ambo's. If I had to navigate the city on a emergency call ,breach red lights ,etc I would want some grunt to get me across the intersection as quickly as possible in case some clown cleaned me up . It sounds like the Mercedes may be the answer.

We don't need it for this, we want to get through the intersection as safe as possible not as quick, that is why most often you will see us nearly stop, and creep our way through, because we are on the lookout for that idiot who does not stop.
Old 30-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #33
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20focus05
Many years ago when the F-250? started being used with the V8 one clocked 250km/h in North SA. A unit that left before this ambo was doing 160 and was past like it was standing still.
The accident was a long way from town.
After that they go speed limited!
250kmh.. i call bs....
Old 30-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #34
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The rrv should be fast cars. But the van ambos would just throw stuff all around I'm the back if they were too fast. A v8 rrv would be so much better when responding to a heart attack or something like that. Even if they get there 40 seconds quicker it could make a difference. Long distance they would be considerably quicker I reckon
Old 30-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #35
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see where the OP is coming from, the V6 Commodore wagon in question, with the added weight was struggling to accellerate, where it was clearly required. After seeing the car in question yesterday, I honestly think something with more torque is required. If that is an SS wagon, then that is what is needed, but from what I saw, the V6 is, IMHO, not suitable for the job required. Not Holden bashing, but rather stating that it seems like the choice was wrong for the application.
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 30-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Yep, i agree with the OP, and NO, i dont care what brand the badge is.

If you ask me, a turbo Territory should be the weapon of choice for the rapid response doctors.
Big enough to protect the driver should someone with the windows up and music cranked miss the whailing sirens and plow into him, and quick enough to resume maximum safe speed in as little time as possible.

I think some of you need to relax a bit!
Old 30-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #37
Ibrox90
Banned

In SA the Ambos quick response guys drive subaru forresters and i can easily say that they have some exclent driving and they absolutly fly down the road

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Old 30-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #38
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
In SA the Ambos quick response guys drive subaru forresters and i can easily say that they have some exclent driving and they absolutly fly down the road
They also have Territory's, most of these rapid response vehicles I have seen have been these.

No point trying to get somewhere faster if you don't turn up at all IMO, whatever does the job for them I am happy with.
Old 30-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #39
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

From what i hear in QLD the officers are dedicated heroes like all ppl who choose a field where they help others but they do not get paid anywhere near the money other states pay so if you want to direct attention direct it toward their working conditions not the cars they drive as thats where they really need our help.

And ppl give way to them always!!!

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
Old 30-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #40
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Its a shame that ppl abuse the ambo service. When I was in hospital earlier this year I over heard the dead beat woman next to me on her mobile. Her daughter wanted to come and visit her but didn't have any money. So the mother said "just call an ambulance and tell 'em your having trouble breathing". The whole thing backfired tho....because the nurse told the woman her daughter went to a different hospital!! I couldnt have laughed quite enough to myself!!
Old 30-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #41
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im suprised that 4 cylinder 4wds are used such as Outlander and Foresters they are surely some of the slowest and poorest handling cars on the road. Even the 3.0 Commodore would be a big improvement on them. It would be good to see Ford or Holden lend a performance car for rapid response duties as it would be a good PR exercise.
Old 30-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #42
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
Its a shame that ppl abuse the ambo service. When I was in hospital earlier this year I over heard the dead beat woman next to me on her mobile. Her daughter wanted to come and visit her but didn't have any money. So the mother said "just call an ambulance and tell 'em your having trouble breathing". The whole thing backfired tho....because the nurse told the woman her daughter went to a different hospital!! I couldnt have laughed quite enough to myself!!
Yes this is a serious problem. People ring up because they have a headache, or a back ache, they may have a broken toe, the runs, a sniffle etc etc. When you get there they have a perfectly fit and healthy person with them, not to mention a ****ing car in the driveway. So we do as we must and transport them, meanwhile a heart attack is called in and so the backup crew has to get to the station, get the drugs etc which wastes 10mins. 10mins that would not have been wasted if we were not transporting. We have once told a patient (who was a real deadbeat just abusing the system) that thanks to them a person with a real problem now has to wait.
Old 30-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #43
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin Fresh
Yes this is a serious problem. People ring up because they have a headache, or a back ache, they may have a broken toe, the runs, a sniffle etc etc. When you get there they have a perfectly fit and healthy person with them, not to mention a ****ing car in the driveway. So we do as we must and transport them, meanwhile a heart attack is called in and so the backup crew has to get to the station, get the drugs etc which wastes 10mins. 10mins that would not have been wasted if we were not transporting. We have once told a patient (who was a real deadbeat just abusing the system) that thanks to them a person with a real problem now has to wait.
Well I take my hat off to ya Puffin Fresh...I couldn't do the job as I wouldn't have the patience with the dead beats!! you guys do an awesome job and your normally there to see ppl at their worst! My old man was an ambo in England as well as Perth and some good friends are Ambos too. It's a mega tough job to do...and i'm glad their are ppl around like yourself to do it! In a nice way mate...hope i never have to see ya with the sirens on in the background!
Old 30-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #44
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
Well I take my hat off to ya Puffin Fresh...I couldn't do the job as I wouldn't have the patience with the dead beats!! you guys do an awesome job and your normally there to see ppl at their worst! My old man was an ambo in England as well as Perth and some good friends are Ambos too. It's a mega tough job to do...and i'm glad their are ppl around like yourself to do it! In a nice way mate...hope i never have to see ya with the sirens on in the background!
Cheers. Yes I do love what I am doing and have a heap of patience (when in the ambo lol) as I am a volunteer and as such don't get paid. Well I get $20 per shift, and usually I do 5-6, 4 to 6hr shifts a month. We work 1 Volunteer 1 fully trained and paid paramdeic. I am itching to get this heart surgery over with so I can go back out on the road.

Also before anybody asks, we as volunteers are highly trained. We have to do training twice a month not to mention we have to do a 12 day course and be signed off by a trained paramedic. We can do pretty much what a paramedic can do except, intubate, canulate and give the really strong drugs.
Old 30-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #45
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
^Whether or not intentional those are completely rhetorical questions.

The maturity level on this forum never fails to sink to new lows.
the questions were deliberately rhetorical as the oringinal post has merit.."are fast response vehicle's under powered".

my intentions were to reverse troll psychoanalyze the thread to stop it from being muddied..

sorry if i offended anyone..
388 cube nothing personal.
Old 30-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Those Mercedes Sprinters they use for Ambo's actually go quite well.
Old 30-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #47
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Thread wouldnt exist if the Ambo's were in a falcon !
Old 30-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #48
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
How many V8 Police cars do you see (hear) these days?
Heaps. Most of the Victoria Police TMU cars are SS Commodores with only 5% being XR6 Turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaFlash
mate i reckon they need louder sirens too, windows up no music, i cant hear jack, i usually use my trusty eyes even when goin through green lights.
Already happening. This was identified a little while ago and apparently new sirens are being installed for the Ambulance Victoria fleet.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 30-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Heaps. Most of the Victoria Police TMU cars are SS Commodores with only 5% being XR6 Turbos.

Already happening. This was identified a little while ago and apparently new sirens are being installed for the Ambulance Victoria fleet.
I work for the company who builds the AV fleet, the sirens are FREAKIN LOUD, seriously, it hurts your ears when you are in the workshop and someone turns them on to test it.
Old 30-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #50
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
An ambulance driver does not require a vehicle that goes from 0-100 in 5 seconds flat. The Commodore v6 will easily reach 100km/h within an adequate amount of time, drivers have to be constantly on the lookout for everything else on the road and will have very few opportunities to drive flatout.

This is not a drag race or a car chase, it's safe and efficient driving in an emergency situation.
Being the partner of a qld ambo i can tell mate you are a fool.
On a number of sides.
first you are having a heart attack you want them there asap these **** boxes with twice there normal wieght are useless so you have a chance of diing.
They are unsafe as they can not get though the traffice qiuck enough.
They are also dangerous for the ambo driving it.

Ian
Old 30-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #51
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
When I had my motor bike accident and was transported from one hospital to another. The Ambo in teh back with me was complaining about the size of the ambulance, he like poeple should wright to the government and complain, because he said it was to small.

They do complain but the goverments dont listern all theyy are worried about is the bottom line in the budget this also goes for there pay and number of ambos.

Ian

partner of a qld ambo
Old 30-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #52
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfordfairmont
the commodoor ambulance is a temp vehicle while their vehicle is being serviced

That statement is not really true as they have a few of these and it is used all the time the goverment is to worried about there budget to get rid of them all ambo's 'have complained about them and are ignored.

as the partner of a qld ambo i know this first hand.

Ian
Old 30-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #53
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
OK
So the VS utes with modules on the back have all been retired, i believe
There are some commodore wagons remaining as non-bed vehicles - adventras too. But most have migrated to the even slower Subaru Foresters.

But as for ambulances that can take stretchers - they can get a merc sprinter on the road for only $150k where was an effie is more like $250k. But an effie you can get 2 beds in.

Wrong on two points
The commodore utes with modules are still in service in anumber of locations in qld including in the south east.

And on the price side of things try 400,000 for the merc's .

Ian(partner of an qld ambo)
Old 30-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
And on the price side of things try 400,000 for the merc's .

Ian(partner of an qld ambo)
I THINK we charge $250K for ours.
Old 30-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #55
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Being the partner of a qld ambo i can tell mate you are a fool.
On a number of sides.
first you are having a heart attack you want them there asap these **** boxes with twice there normal wieght are useless so you have a chance of diing.
They are unsafe as they can not get though the traffice qiuck enough.
They are also dangerous for the ambo driving it.

Ian
I can't really understand what you are saying, but I'm getting the idea that you are calling me a fool for thinking that an ambulance driver prioritises his surroundings over straight line speed and performance? Is that it?
Old 30-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #56
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
From what i hear in QLD the officers are dedicated heroes like all ppl who choose a field where they help others but they do not get paid anywhere near the money other states pay so if you want to direct attention direct it toward their working conditions not the cars they drive as thats where they really need our help.

And ppl give way to them always!!!

This a valid point but to take it one step further there is not enough of ambos and some of there vechiles are out of date and inadequate.

The state goverment here is in denial about this and say all is ok.

Last year they put on 75 new ambos but because of the conditions they work under over 150 left the service.

Ian
Old 30-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #57
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
I can't really understand what you are saying, but I'm getting the idea that you are calling me a fool for thinking that an ambulance driver prioritises his surroundings over straight line speed and performance? Is that it?

No they dont just go for straight line speed but and ambulance that has no pick up like this is more dangerous to all involve and they also need straight line speed to get to the person in trouble.

Ian
Old 30-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #58
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I THINK we charge $250K for ours.

They are listed here as 400,000 but we are talking about the qld wastage goverment so they would waste money if they could.

Ian
Old 30-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #59
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
No they dont just go for straight line speed but and ambulance that has no pick up like this is more dangerous to all involve and they also need straight line speed to get to the person in trouble.

Ian

As a driver of an ambulance I am going to tell you safety comes first. A car with no pickup is not dangerous as you are meant to be driving to conditions, not just flooring it. I can tell you right now I will never exceed 85 in a 60 zone, 95 in a 70 zone, 100 in an 80 zone and never faster than 130. The tyres are not even rated to go faster than 140km and I do not care the situation, my safety, my partners safety and the public around me come first whilst I am driving. Yes the patient is also a priority, but there is no need to drive 100km plus in 60 zones, so I am not sure how saying a car with no pickup is dangerous to everyone involved. By your logic our Sprinter vans are dangerous.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #60
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ian
More power probably would be beneficial but there are so many more factors and variables to consider.

Last edited by ST; 30-12-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Closed Thread