Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #31
Dezza
Parts bin special

Default Re: what sends the efs els and aus to wreckers when they look like theyre too good to go there

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
For me it came down to cost for the au, tranny, air on condenser and a few other issues with about 25,000 ksg per year meant a up to 6 grand repair bill became questionable, did not wreck it though, has a new owner where it will be lucky to see 2000 ks in a year
It was a similar situation for me. The AU did a bloody good job for me, but at 300,000kms the steering rack is starting to leak, the climate control blend door motor failed (stuck on full heat), and the body was getting quite a lot of rust. Brakes and tyres aren't far off needing replacing, and I just couldn't justify the expense. It isn't dead yet, as my mate is driving it around for now, but it's not far off it.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #32
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Default Re: what sends the efs els and aus to wreckers when they look like theyre too good to go there

I've had quite a few employees over the years, a few have driven high k E series and Vn-s commies and the like.
The most popular reason for being late to work? Car broke down, so I've helped a couple out by financing newer cars for them, and their **** boxes end up at the wreckers.
I guess people like me are part of your problem.
Once the value of repairs surpasses the value of the vehicle, wreckers is the best option imo.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
I haven't driven an EL , how do they handle - many years ago when i had an R31 Skyline during spirited drive one EL swapped ends on a bumpy road and kept spinning away to end up perfectly parked in someones driveway. I Put it down to lots of low down torque and live rear axle.
every car is different , but i have driven my old mates up market el wagon 6 cyl , and it was a bloody pearler , drove bloody fantastic, no racecar , but it went ok , and it rode beautifully and steered very nice, and it was dead quiet in the cab.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #34
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

The wreckers i frequent had an NC in only because it had a small fuel leak. Sad.
A fair few are like this. Others have been in small bingles. At the end of the day, the best parts cars are ones that arent stuffed, otherwise you dont have good parts to reuse on a good roadgoing car.

I have a parts car Subaru ive been trying to part out. Nobody wants to buy anything. Tonnes of enquires but nobody shows up. Eventually ill give up and scrap it, losing tonnes of good parts.

On another note, I might be one of those special (crazy?) people who goes and spends $400 on a 27 year old car (EA Fairmont Ghia wagon) that has a clapped out body and rattly timing chain, a power steering pump with half its seals missing, an alternator with a mind of its own, more holes in the exhaust than titanic and has done 345xxxkms. Bought it maybe a month ago? put 5000 awesome klms on it so far. Well beyond the average persons reasons to scrap or wreck a car. Apparently the previous owner bought a brand new XR6 i think, and this was traded in. Must have seen the car for what it was and that there isnt many at all left? Quite amazed this car has survived for this long.

Body may need $2000ish to fully bring back to spec. Engine (original engine) needs maybe $1500 worth of work. (if all done by pro's)

Worth it to me in the end. Just hope ill have the means to get it done.

Sure beats spending $75k on a new Ford like my parents did. Massive initial outlay, high maintainance costs comparitivley, nowhere near as enjoyable to be in and drive either.

$5k is always nicer to hand over than $75k haha. Will also get another 300,000kms from it after that too...

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 01:08 AM   #35
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when the efs and els and aus end up at wreckers with good bodys and dont look like they got much wrong with them what else sends them there besides reasons in the posts? is it also because people cant be bothered selling them or dont want to wait for a buyer? what else sends them there?

and why else do some people think about a upgrade after about a certain mileage when you cant always go by mileage. is it because they want to change while theres still value or because theyll have to start spending money and they dont want to so get rid of them before they have to while some are happy to keep them going.

and why do people take their cars to the wreckers when there might only be a simple thing wrong.

what are main things that get a car defected a list would be good what things will get a car defected
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #36
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
when the efs and els and aus end up at wreckers with good bodys and dont look like they got much wrong with them what else sends them there besides reasons in the posts? is it also because people cant be bothered selling them or dont want to wait for a buyer? what else sends them there?

and why do people take their cars to the wreckers when there might only be a simple thing wrong.
School"s out,
When a car is worth say $2000 and it needs $3000 worth of repairs you are better off buying a better car with your money.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #37
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Keep sending them there
Ive got plenty of parts for my ef from upull it
Cost me $16 to fix the climate control and $35 for a bcm
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #38
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

hey ive got an EA Fairmont that's looking like a future in a wrecking yard too .. people just don't want them at times & in the end of the day if you aint using it or no one wants to buy it I guess it serves a new purpose helping other falcons live on.. its like motoring organ donations
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #39
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why else do people change their cars at a certain mileage is it because they like to do it while there's still value

And why are some people happy to keep fixing their cars even if there's a lot wrong seen some e series done up nice on ford sites and car shows
Old 31-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #40
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Why else do people change their cars at a certain mileage is it because they like to do it while there's still value

And why are some people happy to keep fixing their cars even if there's a lot wrong seen some e series done up nice on ford sites and car shows
In simple terms new cars are more affordable these days hence the big turnover of cars.
It all comes back to your own disposable income as to what you you can afford, new or 2nd hand.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #41
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

One of my neighbours buys really cheap cars with good rego and then the rego runs out and then they buy another, eventually selling off the first car. They always have three cars on their property at any one time as a result, with only one person who drives. Always interesting to see what is next. First I saw was an EA Falcon, then a bunch of vans and utes, then a VP Calais, then a VT Calais, and so on.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #42
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I watched a 2006 BF Falcon in great condition with a full service history go at auction for $1200 with rego.
they are just worth nothing now.
i'd be happy to drive one but i have 4 cars

i'd be tempted to find a BA Ghia to store so i have parts for my GT in the future, there are parts i need now and new will cost over $1000, if i get get a ghia for $1000 with those parts i wanted i'm winning
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #43
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do people trade cars up at about a certain mileage because they like to trade up while their old ones still have value,

Why else do done people sell up when they have to spend a lot and others are happy to spend money now and then to keep them going.

And about what mileage do things start going wrong 200,000 300,000 or 400,000
Old 31-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #44
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do people trade cars up at about a certain mileage because they like to trade up while their old ones still have value,

Why else do done people sell up when they have to spend a lot and others are happy to spend money now and then to keep them going.

And about what mileage do things start going wrong 200,000 300,000 or 400,000

That's the 6th time you have asked that question in this thread. Sorry to be rude, but a little spelling and grammar would go a long way. It's not a SMS conversation.

As has already been mentioned, there is no fixed mileage. And if car is worth $1000, and needs $2000 in repairs, then the average bloke figures he's better off just buying another $3000 car...

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #45
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
I haven't driven an EL , how do they handle - many years ago when i had an R31 Skyline during spirited drive one EL swapped ends on a bumpy road and kept spinning away to end up perfectly parked in someones driveway. I Put it down to lots of low down torque and live rear axle.
Like this thread...so many variables!

An EL Gli Falcon with stock ride height and pizza cutters all round will handle sub par if you're trying to go fast around corners. An XR6 or Fairmont Ghia (that was optioned with suspension / wheels teamed with 3.45 LSD) and a more sure-footed front anti-swaybar etc will stick a bit better through the twisties.

My 2c
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #46
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC50077 View Post
Maybe they have been lucky enough not to discover CREDIT.
Bingo. The missing piece. Imagine Australia if everyone had to live in cash purely, no credit. . What would we be driving then
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #47
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

If I had my way, my yard would look like Broadmeadows' storage lot from circa 1999-2001.

I think its fair to say that at least some car enthusiasts hate seeing a perfectly good car go to wreck, simply because no one wants it. I know I am one of them.

Perhaps this is a possible reason we see 30+ yo cars on private land rusting away.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #48
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Bingo. The missing piece. Imagine Australia if everyone had to live in cash purely, no credit. . What would we be driving then
You be driving around in 2nd hand bombs Like I did when I got my licence in 1974, no such thing as credit for young people in those days, the banks would not touch you until you could save substantially with them, even then they would limit you.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #49
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure if the attached image works but its of a house near me na dits not the only place to be full of late 80's to 90's cars
all worth their weight in steel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (35.0 KB, 134 views)
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #50
Rob1964

90s Falcons are the car of choice in the Speedway production stocks Great torque from the straight six. Must be 100s that have gone down this road. Even seen once at Speedway a guy with a 90s commodore running a Ford straight six! He realized they offer much more torque than the v6s
Rob1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #51
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
not sure if the attached image works but its of a house near me na dits not the only place to be full of late 80's to 90's cars
you might think that , but to the owner that may use these as parts cars , they are probably worth a hell of a lot more , let me give you a for instance ............. falcon au steering shaft $ 400.00 to buy new
" " " second hand steering rack $ 50.00
" " " " transmission with no history $ 250 bucks
different era i know , still you get the gist , should i go on ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #52
Falcman0o7
Banned

Love this lol

Something else would be stacked ten high at said wreckers if they didn't have two useful features [/QUOTE]
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #53
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Be proud of the world's highest private debt:GDP figure. Australia, you earned it!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 AM   #54
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Entrepreneur in the making...Wreckers r Us!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 01:11 AM   #55
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He has one less car than me. 15, I win...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #56
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I've got my manual EL still with only front panel damage but the price to fix was the same as buying another car so I ended up in another car.

I can't even give it away to the wreckers arm either, price of scrap metal is low so they don't even want them.
Even with a rebuilt transmission, I'm stuck with it.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #57
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
You be driving around in 2nd hand bombs Like I did when I got my licence in 1974, no such thing as credit for young people in those days, the banks would not touch you until you could save substantially with them, even then they would limit you.
And in order to get that loan you first had to prove you didn't really need it!! You also went to the bank in dressed in your Sunday best. Wearing a tie was almost compulsory.No shorts or thongs. More nerve racking than a job interview.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #58
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

I watched this happen to my beloved Escorts and Cortinas through the late nineties and early naughties, they were cheap motoring and used as such. I'm stopped reguarly by people talking about how they had one as their first car, the story usually involves thrashing or crashing. Things have turned around though with alot of cars being exported to the uk, whats worth $1000 here can fetch 7000 euro's over there, its mind boggling...

The death of the Falcons really changed my mindset, I used to buy cheapies and run them to the ground. I look at my gas powered BA wagon now and think I just won't be able to get another one in a few years. Its no show car, but it gets me to work and does parts runs in comfort, drives on the smell of an oily rag and is worth fixing to me now more than ever. Who knows I might even do a resto on it one day...
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #59
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree Rallye Sport.

When I think about the bombs we drove around on P's in the 90's (VG coupes, HR Premiers, EH Premiers, HJ wagons, XW V8 Fairmonts, LH SLR5000 - that's just my closer mates) and what they are worth now, it puts Falcon cessation in a completely new light.

The young one is already aware of this, wants a manual FG XR6 as first car, then keep it forever and drive whatever happens after as daily. Tells me to keep the XW and the ED!

On topic, keeping a nice 90's V8 Tickford really isn't that much of a large cost - the Windsor V8 is simple, regular items like suspension are nowhere near as much as a Control Blade to overhaul, the manual gearboxes are pretty cheap. Sprint is pretty fun to drive too. Late EL with bodykit will certainly appeal to a lot of folks in the future, given the forum banter.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #60
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's good for the owners of late E series and Au series cars for parts as long as the wreckers don't panel beat them with forklifts and stack them 3 high or scrap them, I've just got a wildtrack ordered and every dealer was offering 5-5500 bucks for my VZ SSZ crewman, it was 52k in late 05, had 170k on it, had the intake exhaust tune done, leather interior, had it re cleared so the body was immaculate, wreckers are charging 5k for a complet engine, 1k for a 6 speed trans etc, and I could only get 5k trade in, a wrecker would have given me more, I could have even parted it out myself but it was an immaculate car with years worth of life left in it, it's a shame for our Aussie cars
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post