Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey117
if fuel prices soar i will get a second job
NSW?
You'll need an E Tag to get out of your driveway.
Old 14-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #32
Paxton
Cobblers!

If you can't afford the fuel, you can't afford the car.

People need to stop moaning and look at the realities. Fuel is going up. Ford is offering a real world solution to high fuel prices - a more economical car. If you are really worried, Ford are about to release an LiLPG engined car. Around for a limited time only...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 14-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #33
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
Thats all an XR6 is these days, a sporty looking XT. No gains anywhere. Thats why they are so popular....
LoL maybe engine wise however the XR6 does have firmer suspension, better Wheels & Tyres, better interior & maybe a lower diff ratio (not sure) so it is not really just a sporty looking XT lol
Old 14-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
LoL maybe engine wise however the XR6 does have firmer suspension, better Wheels & Tyres, better interior & maybe a lower diff ratio (not sure) so it is not really just a sporty looking XT lol
Don't worry people that think the XR6 is an XT with a body kit must think that the XR6T is an XT with a turbo motor.
Old 14-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #35
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriory
Interesting, I had a XF & recall it having plenty of grunt, all I did to the engine was extractors & 2.5 inch exhaust, it wasn't an auto though, sooo many memories attached to that car, mabey that is why.....
Depends on what your used to at the time I guess lol

You try stepping from a very worked 5L 4 speed manual GTS or a GXL 5.8 again worked into a standard 3 speed auto XF S pack lol

I do remember it well & was rather ill at the lack of power it did not have lol
Old 14-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #36
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Don't worry people that think the XR6 is an XT with a body kit must think that the XR6T is an XT with a turbo motor.
lol
Old 14-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #37
Oriory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
Depends on what your used to at the time I guess lol

You try stepping from a very worked 5L 4 speed manual GTS or a GXL 5.8 again worked into a standard 3 speed auto XF S pack lol

I do remember it well & was rather ill at the lack of power it did not have lol
Yes I definitely see your point
Old 14-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #38
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

We have a Benz C250 CGI .(wifes car)

This is a 1.8litre I4T putting out 150+ KW at 4000 ish RPM and 300+NM of torque from 2000 rpm, so it's no V-Tech screamer.

If the eco-boost can emulate this car Ford Aus are on a HUGE winner. The fact is HP doesn't matter, torque does and modern low boost turbo's are the go for all round driving, power when needed economy when not.

The little Benz will do 0~100 kph in the 7 second range and tops out at 220+ (not that i've tried). We belt the thing and it still returns fuel economy of *.5 per 100 with 80% city driving.

In a 1550 ish KG sedan. Not that much lighter than a Falcon will be with a 4 banger in it.

It will never be an FPV. But it's not designed to be.

Boost is the future. The real question is will N/A survive and will anyone care?
Old 14-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #39
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

congratulations on ur thread reaching two pages without your 'fans' ripping your biceps to shreads
Old 14-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #40
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

One of my first work cars (ie something I bought and did up) was an XD with the 3.3 donk and a 4 speed.
The thing was definitely not the fastest machine around, but once up on the 100 K mark, she drove alright.
Passing was for looooong straights, but the fuel economy was quite better than the 4.1.

Ed
Old 14-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Lol, yeah but were talking grunt, as in engine power, not a different diff ratio to make it feel quicker...

The i6 in the poverty pack is just as powerful as the i6 in the xr6.

Every XR6 upto the BA had some form of power increase via either an upspec head and ecu package with exhaust and fuel reg or the VCT in the AU.

With that in mind, and correct me if im wrong, people were up in arms when the BA XR6 was released with no power upgrade over the XT.
Old 14-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #42
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When was the last time Ford made a Falcon with out grunt?

Well with EcoBoost's 170-plus-kW, over 330Nm from 2000-5000RPM and less weight to boot; it certainly won't be this time!!!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Old 14-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Lol, yeah but were talking grunt, as in engine power, not a different diff ratio to make it feel quicker...

The i6 in the poverty pack is just as powerful as the i6 in the xr6.

Every XR6 upto the BA had some form of power increase via either an upspec head and ecu package with exhaust and fuel reg or the VCT in the AU.

With that in mind, and correct me if im wrong, people were up in arms when the BA XR6 was released with no power upgrade over the XT.
Yes but there were also people out there justifying the XR8 over the XR6T. The only difference is the quicker turbo also handled better.
The XT is a boat compared to the XR. Also the car looked better inside & out. It justified the exrta dollars.

The only issue with it that I saw was the optional LSD as it should have been standard.
Old 14-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #44
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey117
congratulations on ur thread reaching two pages without your 'fans' ripping your biceps to shreads
Thanks Clarkey117, not easy to start a thread without some of the regulars going for my throat, either its valentines and they are cookin for their wives or maybe this is a question not so close to their hearts.

Thruth is all the low grunt falcons have failed miserably, if it doesnt perform it wont go under the radar because ford dont advertise its capacity.
Old 14-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No an XR6T is a XT with an extra R6 but the above description is pretty close to accurate.......
Old 14-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #46
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Thanks Clarkey117, not easy to start a thread without some of the regulars going for my throat, either its valentines and they are cookin for their wives or maybe this is a question not so close to their hearts.

Thruth is all the low grunt falcons have failed miserably, if it doesnt perform it wont go under the radar because ford dont advertise its capacity.
I think you may be missing the point of the EcoBoost Falcon.

It's main point is that it won't be a low powered Falcon. It will have more power than a current eGas Falcon, but with more torque, attached to the 6 Speed Auto. It will just be a Turbo 4 rather than a N/A I6.

It works better than a 3.0 Commodore.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 14-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #47
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The best way to instill a change in buyer perception is to throw out the rule book
and do something your competitor finds either too hard or too ridiculous to copy...
V8....
Ford have thrown out the rule book a few times, but it resulted in customers going "eeeeeeew!"
Old 14-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #48
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd be inclined to get the I4T, after all, once the tuners get to it there is no telling what power these 'little monstors' might have in them.

These may only need the boost turned up a wick for things to start sizzling, and as the turbo is only a little bub so low down grunt would kick in pretty quick, I know it sure as hell does on the turbo cars at work, from 2000rpm they pull harder than mule with a firecracker up its ****.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 14-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #49
jixel 78

I dont understand the bagging the EFI crossflow gets.... My XE S pack 4 speed absolutelly belted any 4.9 equipped Falcon, and a few 5.8s as well. I think the fact no one then knew how to tune them labelled them as dungers. Tune them properly and theyre far more lively than a stock black motor Clevo. My pick for slugger awards would have to be the 4.9 from XC on. I4T? Better off with a Mazda 6....
Old 14-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #50
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixel 78
I dont understand the bagging the EFI crossflow gets.... My XE S pack 4 speed absolutelly belted any 4.9 equipped Falcon, and a few 5.8s as well. I think the fact no one then knew how to tune them labelled them as dungers. Tune them properly and theyre far more lively than a stock black motor Clevo. My pick for slugger awards would have to be the 4.9 from XC on. I4T? Better off with a Mazda 6....
Manual I6 Falcon is a completely different beast.
Autos had terrible ratios, and wasnt solved until the ZF in the BF.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 15-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #51
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I my 2 minutes back......
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 15-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #52
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixel 78
shame my xf rusted away....the black clevo is all that's left on the engine stand waiting for a rainy day. i haven't had it apart but when i changed the oil first time i glimpsed golden roller rockers so it isn't stock....no 250 would get near it
Old 15-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #53
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
With ford about to introduce an ecoboost falcon, i stopped and ask whether it will
have the sort of grunt falcon buyers are accustomed with?.....
My guess is that 'Falcon buyers' is not even their target market.
The Falcon buyers that want grunt will buy one with grunt.... there are a few to choose from.

I spoze the expanded target market would include:
- Fleet sales
- Hire cars
- Families that won't buy a 6 cylinder
- Anyone who buys a Camry

It’s a shocker of a result: Ford Falcon sales for January 2011 have plummeted to their
lowest level in at least 15 years. CarAdvice has trawled through all all the new vehicle sales
data available to us to reveal that last month’s 1157 sales (not including utes) was the worst result
in at least a decade and a half for the Australian-made Falcon.

Full article:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/102655/f...years-or-more/
Old 15-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #54
The Snout

Ecoboost will be the death of the I6.

The XF auto 6 was gutless.
Old 15-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #55
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Gutless Falcons. Well I have an unleaded carby auto XF, great car but has about as much power as a lawnmower.

Ecoboost will be fine I reckon, the tuners will get some great results out of them. No one calls a Honda Accord Euro or a Mazda 6 gutless and they dont weigh much less than an FG. Personally Id still go for a Injected LPG 6 cyl.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 15-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #56
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Ecoboost will be the death of the I6.

The XF auto 6 was gutless.
You talkin about the 4.1 carby motor? They went ok, mine had drilled out jets, extractors, cat and 2.5 inch exhaust system, bump up the timing a bit, adjust kickdown cable to let it rev a little more, they would keep vn v6 very honest and used to spin the rear tyres just jumping on the picks.

The vn v6 would give many of the current cars a scare off a set of lights. The xf when modded a bit kept it real honest.
Old 15-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #57
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Doesnt the ba xr6 have the diff gears over the xt?

Hulk_au has a good ring to it, i better go get me a au series 1 forte. I cant attack the au for its motors, thats one area they didnt look black n blue

I just dont think there is room enough for tje i6 and the i4t and some of us wanna see a coyote as well.

Are ford trying to do the camry/aurion thing? Same body but i4t and i6/v8
Yeah, different diff gears...But I don't think it makes a huge difference on paper and on the roads. Maybe a couple of hundred rpm at highway speeds.

As for the original post....compared to what? Competitor? Obviously performance increases with each consectutive model...You can't say a EA lacks grunt against a BA...because of course it does. As some people have said, the EA CPI vs MPFI is perhaps a good example.

Imho, if any Ford was underpowered, it'd be I6 Fairlanes/LTDs...Such a heavy car.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 15-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #58
BrisVegas
Noobie

We had an XF 'S pack' wagon on gas for a while and it was no rocketship. Oddly enough, we had a VH Commodore at the same time, so the Falc was not the slowest car in the family. :-)

For what it's worth, I reckon the ecoBoost Falcon is a great idea. It has the benefits of a solid, cheap, locally built car with an economical, yet torquey engine. A few years back I owned a 1.8T Passat with 5spd auto and it was great. It was fast enough, yet got great economy for a reasonably big car.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
Old 15-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #59
RAPID_BA
Banned

So would the insurers ignore the turbo and intercooler? The i6 is pretty cheap to insure, wouldnt we factor this into our running costs calc?

To save half a litre per 100km and then pay $500-1000 a year more insurance?
Old 15-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #60
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If you have a dud history then you will pay more....

I mentioned this in another thread, but insurance companies will have to change their stance on turbo "monsters" because its quickly becoming mainstream.

It really is a stereotype from a bygone era that turbo's are any more dangerous than a NA....but its a good money spinner for them.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Closed Thread