Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #541
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Usesless beer fact for the day... The lemon actually IN the corona first started by a miss understanding of what it was actually used for. The mexicans would rub lemon around the mouth of the bottle so flys/insects didn't land in the beer.
Old 18-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #542
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
Usesless beer fact for the day... The lemon actually IN the corona first started by a miss understanding of what it was actually used for. The mexicans would rub lemon around the mouth of the bottle so flys/insects didn't land in the beer.
someone that knows the history of some imported beers

good to see

on another note

did you guys know that corona comes in a can as well

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jason[98.EL]; 18-07-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #543
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember back when I was 18, Amstel used to come in brown bottles, and you could buy it from Safeway for $30 a slab, cheaper than anything local (VB or Draught was $34 at the time... 2002-2003)

Then it dissapeared off the market till about 2 years ago, now comes in a clear bottle, and is the same price as Stella/Becks!

Id happly buy and drink it back then, back when I was younger and it was cheap, these days not a shot.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #544
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I see your point, but I'm at the stage where I think that "life is too short to drink crap beer".
Correct. Which is why I drink bourbon when I want to have a few.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #545
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
I see your point, but I'm at the stage where I think that "life is too short to drink crap beer".

Oo\===/oO
Old 18-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #546
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I took some Tennessee Whiskey as well, but we had more alcohol than was really necessary - four couples, six beer drinkers, and ten cases of beer over seven days, not to mention the wine, and Vodka that the women seem to switch to.

Amstel seems to be suffering from the same problem that all the European beers seem to suffer - a high price, for something that may or may not be comparable to VB. The main reason that European beers are priced so high, is that they are seen as 'Premium', which I find odd when many of the Premium Australian beers are better value, and better to drink. It is just a lot of trial and error.

Have any of you guys tried Murray's Craft Beers? Their Brewery is just near where I was staying up the Coast, and has a bar on site, which came in handy. I picked up one of these, but I think I'm going to sit on it for a year or so before opening it.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #547
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Anyone else tried White Rabbit? Local Victorian brew, and despite the name is a dark ale and is very nice!

As for Coronas, the lemon thing we see in Australia is not typical of what I've seen elsewhere, where lime is the usual citrus of choice.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #548
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

How much is a slab of Guinness? I quite like the creamy taste of it.

I thought I should see the experts
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #549
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Guinness we get here in Australia is apparently swill compared to the stuff back in Ireland...

I will admit that I am very interested in going to Ireland, if only to try 'real' Guinness.

On another topic...brother gave me a couple of bottles of Monteith's Doppelbock Winter Ale for my birthday...6% but very easy to drink...it actually was quite smooth but there wasn't a distinctive flavour for me, and not much of a kick...

I personally wouldn't buy it (I'd go the La Trappe!), but it wasn't absolute crap...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #550
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Shocked to see this thread so quiet. Nearly a month with no posts!!! Then again, i suppose its a bit cold for beer drinking in some parts of australia.

Just tried my first JS Porter. Not a huge fan to be honest, which surprised me. Its not bad, but there is an excessive toastiness on the palate that doesn't sit well for me. Maybe i really love hops too much. Then again, i've been getting into the dark beers lately and just can't get my head around this one...

On the positive side, anyone tried the new LC Single Batch Brown Ale? Comes in Pint Bottles only. Not bad, not bad at all. Not a traditional english brown/amber ale at all, much more hoppy (gee, wonder why i like it). The blurb says it has cascade in it and it sure does....alot of similar hops to the pale ale but with a maltier, toastier finish (bit if rye in there too.) Think of a heavier mouthfeel pale ale with a bit less hop bitterness but more malt bitterness...if that makes sense.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #551
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I had Holgate's Temptress Chocolate Beer 2 weeks ago, I'm a fan of that, its my new favorite.

To me, it tastes like the charr grilled bits on a well done steak
Old 14-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #552
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Was that off tap at the Holgate Pub in Woodend?

If so I must have just missed you. It's strained through coffee beans too. Great brew!
Old 14-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #553
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hords
Was that off tap at the Holgate Pub in Woodend?

If so I must have just missed you. It's strained through coffee beans too. Great brew!
I decided to get it in bottle because it was more of it haha, yep it was at the Holgate Pub

I had their beef pie, that was awesome, the pastry was so nice and the beef melted in your mouth
Old 15-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #554
rusty 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I took some Tennessee Whiskey as well, but we had more alcohol than was really necessary - four couples, six beer drinkers, and ten cases of beer over seven days, not to mention the wine, and Vodka that the women seem to switch to.

Amstel seems to be suffering from the same problem that all the European beers seem to suffer - a high price, for something that may or may not be comparable to VB. The main reason that European beers are priced so high, is that they are seen as 'Premium', which I find odd when many of the Premium Australian beers are better value, and better to drink. It is just a lot of trial and error.

Have any of you guys tried Murray's Craft Beers? Their Brewery is just near where I was staying up the Coast, and has a bar on site, which came in handy. I picked up one of these, but I think I'm going to sit on it for a year or so before opening it.
mate the anniversary ale is superb, worth waiting for a special occasion

you will wish you bought more than one

one of the best brewerys around
rusty 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #555
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Shocked to see this thread so quiet. Nearly a month with no posts!!! Then again, i suppose its a bit cold for beer drinking in some parts of australia.

Just tried my first JS Porter. Not a huge fan to be honest, which surprised me. Its not bad, but there is an excessive toastiness on the palate that doesn't sit well for me. Maybe i really love hops too much. Then again, i've been getting into the dark beers lately and just can't get my head around this one...

On the positive side, anyone tried the new LC Single Batch Brown Ale? Comes in Pint Bottles only. Not bad, not bad at all. Not a traditional english brown/amber ale at all, much more hoppy (gee, wonder why i like it). The blurb says it has cascade in it and it sure does....alot of similar hops to the pale ale but with a maltier, toastier finish (bit if rye in there too.) Think of a heavier mouthfeel pale ale with a bit less hop bitterness but more malt bitterness...if that makes sense.
Love the LC Single Batch

Tonite, I will be trying the new Matilda Bay Coffee-infused one later on, just priming myself with a few fat yaks after dinner wating for the motogp to start

and its NEVER too cold for beer

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2010, 01:38 AM   #556
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Love the LC Single Batch

Tonite, I will be trying the new Matilda Bay Coffee-infused one later on, just priming myself with a few fat yaks after dinner wating for the motogp to start

and its NEVER too cold for beer
Its never too cold for the RIGHT beer. Drink a pale lager in this weather its pretty flat (not that i drink many anyway) but i'm enjoying my tour through the dark beers this winter. My cerni pivo dark lager is coming up very well in the bottle not to mention the stout i had recently in cairns at the Blue Sky Brewery.

Anyone in cairns is recomended to try out the Blue Sky Brewery, cairns' only locally made beer. $4 pots, not bad considering its all made on site. Went with a mate from cairns and we tried a range of 7 beers in total. Pilsener was average (looked a bit cloudy though so not sure that tap was working proeprly) but the Reef Blonde was quite good (tasty for a so called low carb with a fruity hop finish). IPA was worth it, lots of hops obviously but not overpowering bitterness on the fnish which was good....quite pale in colour though. Wheat beer was good but pretty generic banana flavours with not much else to pick up. Best was by far their True Blue Stout. Very coffee but not as dark as a usual stout (more of a porter really). I liked it because there was a definite hop finish to clean up the excess of malt you often find in dark beers. Would of had more of the latter but at 6.4% it was a bit much given i was driving home....

They also had a couple of lagers (FNQ lager is their main beer) but other than a taste test i didn't go down that route much....not into lagers. seemed quite nice i suppose...clean with a bit of floral hop there. Brewery tours are available also and from the look through the window its a nice little setup.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 16-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #557
TaNkY fAiRmOnT

well where im at right now, im heading for the Listerine after a half a bottle of 1 litre jimmie and sleep but beer-wise i think id prefer carlton :-)

1998 FORD EL FAIRMONT GHIA
18" BF GT-P wheels, Monroe shocks, leather :
Awesome sound system controlled by response
Pacemakers, 2.5" exhaust, manual, other XR6 goodies
mild camwork. :
TaNkY fAiRmOnT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #558
AdzT3-146
own the road

Went down to Beer Deluxe the other week at Fed Square. Sampled quite a few beers I had never had before. Came away with a new found fondness for a Belgian Beer called Grimbergen, and in particular the Tripel (Blond). It's on tap there too
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #559
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
Anyone else tried White Rabbit? Local Victorian brew, and despite the name is a dark ale and is very nice!
One of my fav beers atm... Its brewed in Healesville! I think Dan Murphys has them for 17 bux for a six pack which isn't too bad!...

Went to the coldstream brewery for the first time a couple of months ago a tried their Cider and Pilsner and was blown away!!!

Anyone been to the Little Creatures dining Hall in Melbourne??? Thoughts??
Old 17-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #560
ubute
Back in Black

Yeah been to LC in Melbourne, but I didn't feel I was "trendy" enough to be in there. I prefered the brewery in Freo but still worth a visit. I prefer their beer more for the taste than the image, and I can't grow designer patchy facial hair, mine is more just bushy stubble when I let it go.

They have White Rabbit on tap there though, at least they did in April or whenever I was down in Melbourne.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #561
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Anyone tried the Knappstein Reserve Lager from SA? Though i wouldnt' normally go for a lager the recent warming weather in SEqld saw me test out a lager style beer and this was recomended to me so i grabbed a single while at the local grog shop getting something else.

have to say a very good beer. Light on the palate but very fruity aroma and flavour. Clean finish like the best lagers but an interesting tropical fruit kinda flavour...Not spicy in its finish like the best german lagers. Very drinkable i thought (not cheap though...).

Was also inspired to give it a go after seeing it featured in the book '1001 beers you must try before you die' which i recieved for my birthday. Great book and worth getting if you are a big beer nut. Not necessarily the best beers but a good lineup of everything from easy drinking mass produced stuff to wierd and wonderful. Quite a few aussie beers in there too including coopers extra strong vintage ale, js golden/amber, lc etc.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #562
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

If you can find it and are a fan of Euro Pils, any Pils actually!

Pilsner Urquell, a VERY good Czech beer!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #563
zdcol71
zdcol71

I am going to be in Scotland at the end of the year and my daughter has instructed me to bring home a particular beer for her.
The bottles are stuffed into taxidermed stoats and squirrels,(dressed in kilts and such), and pour at a staggering..wait for it...55% alcohol!!!
At the price they are charging she'll have Longshanks chances in Scotland of prising it away from me!!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...d-squirrel.php
Old 07-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #564
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Have seen that before, very cool....I wonder how it would taste.

I also want to try their Tactical Nuclear Penguin. Watch the video about it on the BrewDog website, very interesting

Oo\===/oO
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #565
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Have seen that before, very cool....I wonder how it would taste.

I also want to try their Tactical Nuclear Penguin. Watch the video about it on the BrewDog website, very interesting

I had to cut copy this from the comments on the site...hahaha
"That's pretty disgusting. You'd have to be pretty squirrely to buy this beer. I mean, what happens when you drink it and find a hare in it? I'd try to weasel out of paying for it if that happened"
Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #566
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Thought I would bump this thread up as I am heading to Beer Deluxe at Fed Square tonight.... Anyone been there? Can't wait to try a few I have spotted on their beer list..
Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #567
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love my cheep & nasty Homebrew, $15 for 23 litres here are the lables I made for them

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #568
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Thought I would bump this thread up as I am heading to Beer Deluxe at Fed Square tonight.... Anyone been there? Can't wait to try a few I have spotted on their beer list..
It's a good place, I quite like heading there for a few with my mates. It's a quietish place with not too many distractions such as DJ's and heaps of TV's and what not, pretty good place to kick back with a few beers and catch up with mates.
And of course the range of beers is awesome.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 02:21 AM   #569
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being summer, I'm into the lighter beers again.

Little Creatures Pale Ale and Grand Ridge Blonde Ahoy!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #570
michaels1v8
Starter Motor

Im not minding the XXXX summer gold brew that they've just released.

I cant stand XXXX but this is actually a pretty decent beer

Definately worth a try for anybody after a nice easy going beer at a decent price
michaels1v8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post