Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #541
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
But they wouldn't need constant monitoring, only the availability when someone sticks their head out...like a plane that suddenly drops off radar.

It makes perfect sense to be able to monitor and even control a commercial plane by wire post 9/11.
If this was available then, the 4th plane wouldn't have gone down in that field.
Of course it needs constant connection and monitoring. Are you going to wait to confirm if the receiver has been sabotaged and is no longer receiving once you perceive you have a problem????????????????????

And just on that, who takes over the controls? The work experience kid in cubicle 28 who happens to be good at Xbox? No? Ok so where's the 24/7 manned bunker with all of these pilots standing by to take over the controls of a plane they have no telemetry on and no visuals or other data to land the thing???????

Also what sovereign nation is going to allow another nation to take control of their assets in the sky?????

Sorry but sometimes these theories have to be dragged out into the light of day ..........

Their good for a laugh though :-)
Old 28-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #542
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BALDY View Post
On the move AGAIN 1100K's closer to OZ!! Maybe they should look fot it at Katherine WW2 airstrips in the bush!!
Not in the least surprising. The debris has been in the water for nearly 4 weeks now in what is known as a massive washtub of conflicting currents. It could be in Antarctica by now.
Old 28-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #543
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
Of course it needs constant connection and monitoring. Are you going to wait to confirm if the receiver has been sabotaged and is no longer receiving once you perceive you have a problem????????????????????

And just on that, who takes over the controls? The work experience kid in cubicle 28 who happens to be good at Xbox? No? Ok so where's the 24/7 manned bunker with all of these pilots standing by to take over the controls of a plane they have no telemetry on and no visuals or other data to land the thing???????

Also what sovereign nation is going to allow another nation to take control of their assets in the sky?????

Sorry but sometimes these theories have to be dragged out into the light of day ..........

Their good for a laugh though :-)
Cool, nothing more to see here then, I guess you'll be off.

I started this thread as a point of discussion, if the content offends or seems unbelievable your welcome to avoid it.
Pretty simple hey.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #544
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Not in the least surprising. The debris has been in the water for nearly 4 weeks now in what is known as a massive washtub of conflicting currents. It could be in Antarctica by now.
Lol, its hasn't even been 3 weeks yet.

It went missing on Saturday the 8th of March, today is the 28th of March.
Old 28-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #545
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Cool, nothing more to see here then, I guess you'll be off.

I started this thread as a point of discussion, if the content offends or seems unbelievable your welcome to avoid it.
Pretty simple hey.
Sure, and its a discussion. I've seen a thousand conspiracy theories that are very light on facts or details being used to combat the theory being put forward which is also short on facts.

But if your going to post them at least be prepared to discuss them
Old 28-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #546
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Lol, its hasn't even been 3 weeks yet.

It went missing on Saturday the 8th of March, today is the 28th of March.
How time flies when everyone is short on facts..............
Old 28-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #547
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Sure, and its a discussion. I've seen a thousand conspiracy theories that are very light on facts or details being used to combat the theory being put forward which is also short on facts.

But if your going to post them at least be prepared to discuss them
Until we have hard evidence we are all making assumptions, none hold more weight than another's.
Old 28-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #548
nstg8a

So now they're saying as many as 300 items visible from satellites and aircraft, yet still no one can pick one up out of the sea?
Not even a clear photo of any of these items?
The American Poseidon is literally a flying camera, capable of some pretty incredible feats of surveillance if you believe some of the more techy articles, yet the best pics we have look like they've used a potato as a camera?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #549
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
So now they're saying as many as 300 items visible from satellites and aircraft, yet still no one can pick one up out of the sea?
Not even a clear photo of any of these items?
The American Poseidon is literally a flying camera, capable of some pretty incredible feats of surveillance if you believe some of the more techy articles, yet the best pics we have look like they've used a potato as a camera?
Maybe everyones just been bullshitting us all along and that flying camera is a Nokia with one of the first phone cameras attached to a party balloon?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #550
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted this on the 15th, if my memory corrects me it was 2-3 days before they announced a new search area, and almost a week before Abbots first press conference.

''Well considering 4000m is the average depth of the Indian Ocean, and 8000m being the deepest, they better be getting on the phone to Dr Robert Ballard if thats where the plane ditched''

17th'' http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26610946

''That southern projected flight path off the coast of WA, is incredibly close to 'Diamantina Deep', the deepest point in the Indian Ocean, over 8 Kilometers down. Something to think about''

What first led me towards the Indian Ocean is because the Yanks had one solitary Destroyer in the first search zone, South China Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. While authorities were bickering about airspace, that Destroyer slipped out of the zone towards the Indian Ocean, and everyone else continued to comb that area for at least another 24 hours. Obviously they knew something just about everyone else didnt. I got alot more than that, but I`ve pushed the Pilot under the Bus enough.

Thread makes a good read from the OP until now.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #551
nstg8a

Nz news sites are reporting the rnzaf orion has seen debris in the new search area.

What I don't understand is how a Chinese vessel is already there? Was it just randomly doing it's own thing?
Old 29-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #552
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hundreds of pieces spotted by satellite. Damn it, we just want 1 tiny fragment in our hands to wrap up this chapter of the 370 story.
I realise that the conditions in the search area are not the best and I imagine the searchers are more distressed than us keyboard warriors.
I think we'll see something today.
Good luck to the searchers.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #553
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I think we need to keep this in perspective:

The search zone is reportedly some 70-odd thousand square kilometers. To give that some scale, that is an area larger than Tasmania, but smaller than Victoria.

In this search zone, the search parties are looking for material that, reportedly, is no larger than 460 square meters.

And all of that is before you take into account currents, winds, swells, etc.

Personally, I'm not surprised it is taking some time to actually find some debris........

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #554
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I think we need to keep this in perspective:

The search zone is reportedly some 70-odd thousand square kilometers. To give that some scale, that is an area larger than Tasmania, but smaller than Victoria.
Or as said by someone in the search " It really is like looking for a needle in a Haystack.
We just have to find the Haystack first."
Old 29-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #555
nstg8a

A lot of the aircraft searching are anti-sub warfare units, do you really think they're having trouble finding wreckage?

Nothing adds up in any real way.
Old 29-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #556
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Maybe they're waiting for some to wash up on the beach.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #557
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Maybe they're waiting for some to wash up on the beach.
That's not as ridiculous as it sounds. It's been estimated approximately 2 weeks before debris washes up on the coast of WA.
Old 29-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #558
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A lot of the aircraft searching are anti-sub warfare units, do you really think they're having trouble finding wreckage?

Yes, I'd imagine that even a P-8 Poseidon would have trouble finding a submarine that had disintegrated into metal scraps, sodden seat cushions and suitcases, set adrift 3 weeks ago from an unknown location somewhere in the currents and weather of a distant huge vague area of deep open ocean. But we don't really have to just imagine it, we're seeing that would look like play out in front of us.

I did some rough calculations. If the new search area (319,000 square kilometres) was scaled down to a hectare (100x100m), a piece of 20 metre long plane wreckage would measure 0.00000000063mm long (0.63 micrometres). Like looking for something about 10 times smaller than the smallest bacterium in a big bunnings car park. It's not really that hard to understand why any wreckage is hard to find.
Old 29-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #559
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:

So, what systems on board the P-3 and P-8 should be used to find this wreckage then?

I'm certainly no expert on the P-3 but I know the mag boom on the P-3 can pick up magnetic flux lines that are disturbed by metallic objects (such as submarines) but I doubt that system would have the sensitivity to be able to pick up a piece of aircraft skin that measures approx 400sq meters. And I would assume that even if it could pick up this disturbance, the plane would still need to be in relatively close proximity.

I know even less about the P-8 but I do know that the AP-3C (the Australian variant of the P-3) is considered a very capable aircraft in terms of both its sub-hunting and intelligence gathering capabilities.

No offence, but it is easy to assume that these things are more capable than they really are. If it was really easy to find a large piece of aircraft body floating on top of the water, those submariners better be packing their pants

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #560
nstg8a

But that's just it, they're getting photos of the debris on board these aircraft, it's when the ships get there they can't find it... Seems weird they released every super grainy satellite pic they could to prove it was there, but there's been no release from any of the aircraft.

Back later, I think I've worn out my tinfoil hat.
Old 29-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #561
BHDOGS
Banned

an expert said there metal detection capabilities will only work if there right over an object if anything all these theory's do is give false hope to familys who have already been through enough.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 01:25 AM   #562
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

British Airways withdraw ad...

Last edited by csv8; 05-04-2014 at 12:08 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #563
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just heard on the morning news that some recovered debris is NOT from the plane.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #564
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

They have also confirmed that the two debris fields found in the previous search area (122 pieces in one and 300 in another) were NOT from the plane.

It must be so frustrating for search crews who continually have the goal posts moved.
It amazes me that after 3 weeks they still have no idea if they are looking in the right place.

An inquest into this will leave the Malaysian Authorities looking second rate.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #565
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Well, this will create a shake up of the security and safety side of the flying industry that we haven't seen since 9/11.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #566
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
an expert said there metal detection capabilities will only work if there right over an object if anything all these theory's do is give false hope to familys who have already been through enough.
Yes an aircraft needs to be level at about 200 feet or less for their MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detection) alarms to go off. When I would control P3 and be doing a simulated torpedo attack as I drove the plan to launch point the command 'was drop on my command or your MAD' etc. But yes not the best piece of detection equipment.
Old 30-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #567
cram_it_frog
wombat

This is amazing still no solid news I think this is going to take a very long time before we work out every thing and I am not sure they will work it out.
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #568
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the USA is keeping its mouth shut and saying very little, also with supposedly the most sophisticated satelites why nothing from them? WHY???
I smell a very big and ugly pack of miss truths and blind siding to all this.

Its in the Simpson desert I tell ya.
Old 30-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #569
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
the USA is keeping its mouth shut and saying very little, also with supposedly the most sophisticated satelites why nothing from them? WHY???
I smell a very big and ugly pack of miss truths and blind siding to all this.

Its in the Simpson desert I tell ya.
Apparently the Israelis have an exact copy of mh370...
Old 30-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #570
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram_it_frog View Post
This is amazing still no solid news I think this is going to take a very long time before we work out every thing and I am not sure they will work it out.
I'm sure the authorities have worked it out already. Now they're just busy working out an agreement on what they are going to tell us.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: