Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #421
rodderz

Petrols wont be phased out for a while yet but there will be some very good diesels to head into the future within the next few years
Old 19-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #422
ECOJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
You do realise where diesel comes from too.. I'd much rather see a more efficient Petrol engine.

While diesel's generally use slightly less fuel the fuel is dirtier and more expensive and they have massive on-going maintenance costs, which cancel out the cheaper running costs. I agree a diesel option would be great but it really cannot replace the petrol range.

Although no one has mentioned Hybrids they sure will sometime I'm sure... Until they can actually pollute less than a Hummer (due to highly pulluting batteries) they can stay in their Niche category "I'm a celebrity and I care for the environment cause I drive a Prius and the Media says they pollute less."
i havent even seen one petrol hybrid car get the economy of a diesel? that audi a8 example i mentioned is just a taste of what we can expect.. 230kw, 650nm torque, 0-100 in 5.8 seconds, 2 tonne weight, and 9l/100ks city driving.
Howabout the ultimate, diesel hybrid with displacement on demand
Old 19-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #423
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure diesels are good.. BUT they will not replace Petrol engines.. Not in the near to mid-term future anyway. As you said diesel is a by-product of the refining process, so whenever there is petrol there will be diesel and also LPG, so for a while yet there will be a combination of all 3 around not just one or another.

Hybrid diesel would be alright.. once they find a battery good enough for the power requirements that poses little or no issues to the environment when it is disposed of.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #424
ECOJET

i never said it :p like i said u guys refer to petroleum diesel, which is the dirtest diesel.. biodiesel is getting very popular now and you can make it yourself it in your own garage! same power as diesel, far cleaner, and itll loosen the stranglehold the middle eastern countries have on the world.. WIN WIN.
btw im not a greenie/hippy lol
Old 19-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #425
HSE2

Well for my money is been a bad week for Ford.
For any Ford enthusiast in recent history the biggest difference between the Falcon and Commodore is the inline engine and not just raw numbers. The way it works the way it goes about its business is unmatched in the segment. For some it’s an automatic walk to dismiss competition strengths and surely one of the last pieces of Australia-ism. A way of life, and a valued one at that.

I feel sorry for the workers that will lose their positions and not only those currently employed by Ford. Any loss of production like this has a knock on effect often measured at double to three times those of the directly affected.

I feel sorry for Ford. A delicate piece of news that will in some part make life more difficult than it should be. Instead of ramping up for the release of a very important new model Ford will continually be on the back foot defending a situation that was always inevitable. Orion won’t just be about how good or not it is, but on and about the upcoming new engine line. It remains to be seen if marketing has the strength to turn what potentially is a hugely negative milestone into a positive. This is one reason why manufactures don’t like the consumer knowing in advance what is happening to product. Orion is now dated before its release adding even more pressure to line currently underperforming. It’s a diversion Ford didn’t need in the lead up to Orion and it remains to be seen what affect if any it has on sales. It will make some people think and that by itself isn’t desirable. No one likes buying a product that has so blatantly been outed before its time. It again brings back the question of Australian content and the scrutiny of the VE for a similar departure at its launch. People in glass houses!

I feel this is the only decision that protects the best interests of Ford in this country. There is a greater good and this action is it. Cast iron construction and economies of scale were always going to be the knife in the back of the inline six. Obviously any loss of content control isn’t desirable and to a degree that’s what will happen. Anything global often lacks target qualities in favour of a wider reaching nature. The characteristics that are important to one market won’t be given the same attention. It remains to be seen if FPV “enhance” donor product to bring back some of these elements in products of a more discerning taste. One thing is for certain.
Personally it will be very hard for any V6 to match the exactly qualities of the inline six. Instead it will bring new characteristics foibles and issues both good and bad.
People shouldn’t be out to punish Ford for what everyone one of us does automatically in every walk of life. We in some part are to blame for everything that happens in a consumer driven world. Our buying habits, our decisions impact on products. We make similar choices everyday with every consumable we buy, often based on economy. We are smaller versions of every corporate board.
There is no point talking about what an engine will be like in 2 years. People that feel strongly about the subject need to work out what they value as a characteristic of the inline six and make sure those points aren’t lost on Ford. Believe me Ford Australia and the excellent engineers we have know about the inherent issues of the V6 design and they know how important torque delivery is. Make sure the baby isn’t thrown out with the water. Make sure the real issues aren’t lost and that any change is a step forward not sideways or god forbid, backwards. The inline six will be a hard act to follow, make sure the attention is on that. A replacement not only need to be economically viable to the company, but it has to match consumer expectations. If it doesn’t vote will your feet. Many will feel a hit to the loyalty pouch. The inline six has earned respect. After all these years, after all the marketing effort to praise its design and worth, Ford now have to convince those loyal consumers it was just a corporate line. Respect isn’t given, its earnt and sometimes 47 plus years is a lot to undo. Never ever go into bat to defend corporate lines. It inevitably won’t be the truth just advantageous to their best interests at the time.
Ford and their new engines have a lot of work to do. Hopefully in time people will open their minds to what should be the next chapter, but that chapter needs to be judged on facts and not blindly. Open mind and judge on merit.
Again my thoughts are to the families that have an uncertain future, be that directly or indirectly. Reality of life is never easy to accept under the circumstance and nor should it. It could happen to anyone of us each by our own hand.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 19-07-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #426
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOJET
i never said it :p like i said u guys refer to petroleum diesel, which is the dirtest diesel.. biodiesel is getting very popular now and you can make it yourself it in your own garage! same power as diesel, far cleaner, and itll loosen the stranglehold the middle eastern countries have on the world.. WIN WIN.
btw im not a greenie/hippy lol
Ahh yes biodiesel is a different matter...

E85 is another option too, which the Duratec is compatable for.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #427
ECOJET

ive only read about one real ethanol car, was it a volkswagen? dont remember.. but it made a significant amount more power than petrol, but the economy was something like almost double the consumption, so they have a lot of work to do there
Old 19-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #428
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
lol diesel is a byproduct of crushed canola seed... every fast food restaurants' waste could power your car.
petroleum diesel is one form of diesel, there are many others.
No BIO-DIESEL is a by product of cooking oil. DIESEL that comes out of the pump is made from crude oil :
Old 19-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #429
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_judge
I sent the following letter to the 7:30 report.

Remark I watched your story. I was quickly appalled in the way you glossed over many of the realities. Ford are stopping production of their locally made inline 6 engine that produces more power and torque for less fuel than Holdens imported v6. ..........
Holden may import parts for the V6 (due to Castalloy closure) but the GM engine is built in Australia and export to SAAB, Fiat, Vaxhaul and others.

If Ford Australia planned ahead they may have done the same.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 19-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #430
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

ECOJET, tell me how many acres will be needed to supply the market's needs for biodiesel or ethanol if magically every new car ran on these.

But we're getting off topic here. Or maybe that's because all the I6 lamenters/V6 haters are clearing out Big W's Kleenex stocks?

Global V6 + RWD + Falcon survival + majority of 600 jobs reabsorbed into the Ford empire >> I6, even if it is a kickass engine.
Old 19-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #431
ECOJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
ECOJET, tell me how many acres will be needed to supply the market's needs for biodiesel or ethanol if magically every new car ran on these.

But we're getting off topic here. Or maybe that's because all the I6 lamenters/V6 haters are clearing out Big W's Kleenex stocks?

Global V6 + RWD + Falcon survival + majority of 600 jobs reabsorbed into the Ford empire >> I6, even if it is a kickass engine.
an insane amount, point taken.. but lets just at least hope there is a diesel engine as an option by 2010, if not then somethings very wrong.
Old 19-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #432
ECOJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
No BIO-DIESEL is a by product of cooking oil. DIESEL that comes out of the pump is made from crude oil :
you can buy biodiesel at a pump? though there obviously isnt many around, especially in aus..
Old 19-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #433
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

That's pretty different to what you were intially saying ;)

Yes, a diesel option would be a smart move.
Old 19-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #434
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi, Anyone own the Bill Tuckey book 'True Blue, the 75-year history of Ford Australia' ? Have a read of the final chapter and it puts allot of this in perspective and for how long an announcement like this has been on the cards.
Old 19-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #435
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
You and I have had this discussion before Dave(least i think so). Ethanol is quite feasible as its own industry because of the massive amounts of wastage in the food chain, from farmers dumping oranges and fruit to promote higher prices, to Woolworths dumping fruit and veg thats expired from their shelves(In which case we are leveraging even imported produce). The biomass is there, someone just needs to pick it up. Also there have been some large leaps in yeast manufacturing, strains are being developed that produce higher alcohol per kg of biomass then ever before. Theres a river of untapped biomass out there "lost in waste".

In regards to other posts in this thread:

At the end of the day, its a bloody air pump. No design will live forever. Was there this much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the death of the windsor in australia when the modular motors were introduced? Its essentially the same thing that has occured again, and its a reality of the global market now days to streamline where you can, and use a common platform in a global supply chain.

It may take a few years but aftermarket support will grow again(Wipe away them tears), and the benefit will be that the US Aftermarket will support it as well, which equates to alot of choices and options for products, far more then what we have today for the I6 which is very limited when compared to US motors.

Now its a shame that 600 workers lost their jobs, which will likely end in more job losses both in ford and supporting industries, but it happens. They have mortgages and loans to pay etc etc, children to support yadda yadda. We have all been there and life moves on. Its happened to most of us.

I doubt there was this much crying when they stopped producing the flathead FFS.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 19-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #436
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ethanol
nup, wasn't me! We normally discuss jihad tactics or which pets recycle better ;)

I think your comments regarding production of ethanol from waste biomass would be an excellent idea, but I doubt it would be able to replace conventional fossil fuels altogether. Anything that contributes to the reduction of "terminal" waste is a good thing, and an ethanol industry based upon waste biomass would be a positive step in reducing the landfill/GHG emissions issues as well as taking a bite out of our addiction with fossil fuel. Maybe we should start (restart?) a thread based on ethanol/other biofuels to keep the V6/I6 debate on course? Well, as close to on-course as one could get...
Old 19-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #437
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
you can buy biodiesel at a pump? though there obviously isnt many around, especially in aus..

As I once worked in the food service industry I can tell you know that the amount of Bio - Diesel the average fast food restaurant only produces about 130L of raw used cooking oil a week. At the moment it is a cheap option but if everyone switches to it you'll find demand will outstrip supply. Bio Diesel works well on the small scale but it is no smoking gun in the fight for cheap fuel. :
Old 19-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #438
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

congrats on your 3000 post sourbastard.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 19-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #439
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
There is also a coconut oil which runs diesels, but it blows a heap of white smoke (although doesnt smell like normal stuff) and can't be as healthy as filters need to be changed every 3000km

I'm sujre there will be a diesel option within a few years anyway. Hopefully, we get the good stuff too, the diesel that Europe gets.
Old 19-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #440
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

my hilux 2.4td surf runs on biodiesel...has done for 65thou kms...in winter it pays to do a half and half mix because it can be a pain to start when its real cold, however summer is no probs....costs me and the old man about 40c per litre to make.
Old 19-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #441
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

IMO if it aint got a i6, it aint a Falcon. Long Live The Legend, FORD i6. 1960-2010. The only bent motor for a FORD is a 351 Cleveland.
Old 19-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #442
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
You do realise that a 335i isn't made here either..

You would be surprised to know how much of the Falcon is imported.. even major parts of the I6 are imported... Crank (UK) and Heads (Mexico) just to name 2..

umm.. head doesnt come from mexico...... its from geelong mate. cast and assembled....

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Old 19-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #443
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
IMO if it aint got a i6, it aint a Falcon. Long Live The Legend, FORD i6. 1960-2010. The only bent motor for a FORD is a 351 Cleveland.
Yes, long live the Falcon I6 Legend!

Bathurst Wins: Nil
Supercar Championship Wins: Nil
Group A Wins: Nil
Nascar Wins: Nil
Indianapolis Wins: Nil
Taxi Drag War Wins: Millions

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Last edited by Sourbastard; 19-07-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 19-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #444
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Yes, long like the Falcon I6 Legend!

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Old 19-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #445
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, long live the Falcon I6 Legend!

You forgot:

Number of Head gaskets changed: Millions
Old 19-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #446
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Didn't the XL "win" Bathurst in '62 or '63?

Quote:
There is also a coconut oil which runs diesels
Oh that's just great, now Fiji is going to join OPEC and the Commodore dictator is going to give himself a promotion to Senator, Statesman or call himself "GTS" (Gangsta Trippa Supaviza)
Old 19-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #447
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
At the end of the day, its a bloody air pump. No design will live forever. Was there this much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the death of the windsor in australia when the modular motors were introduced?
Tut tut tut!! Come on SB... have you forgotten the gihad declared by 5 - 10 of the T taliban over in the winged corner over that!!

Old 19-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #448
blackwood
FiSTed

The XL won the last 500 at Phillip Island before the race was moved to Bathurst.
IIRC, Bob Jane and Harry Firth were the drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
Old 19-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #449
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Didn't the XL "win" Bathurst in '62 or '63?

Oh that's just great, now Fiji is going to join OPEC and the Commodore dictator is going to give himself a promotion to Senator, Statesman or call himself "GTS" (Gangsta Trippa Supaviza)
cant wait to see all those allergic to nuts falling over dead from the exhaust fumes from Caltex Coconut 98.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 19-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #450
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Tut tut tut!! Come on SB... have you forgotten the gihad declared by 5 - 10 of the T taliban over in the winged corner over that!!
LOL @ T Taliban. Let us all face Broadmedows and pray before the Infidels introduce another motor!

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Closed Thread