Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #391
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Major Ford announcement

let's try again

NO BICKERING
Old 23-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #392
Vormund

Well before the lock I was just going to say this is not the time to discuss the "why's".

I just want to say thank you to the people of Geelong and broady for their work over the years.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #393
fpvgeetee

very sad time indeed I will ways take care of my GT and never let it go :( still cant believe it...where do we go from here? shattered. The GT is everything I've known growing up...from having xy GT's at my wedding to finally owning my own GT. Very sad. So looks like I own one of the last N/A GT's :(
Old 23-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #394
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #395
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets be annoyed about the decision today but also thankful that we got to enjoy what made the Falcon great for over 50 years.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #396
FacultY

Its been a good run guys. I havent liked how mangement have been operating the last few years and its clear Graziano has done what he has set out. I enjoy my xr6 and will continue to support the Australian Automotive industry and will move to a VF when im due for a new car.

Last edited by FacultY; 23-05-2013 at 03:27 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #397
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im going to have to keep mine forever.

My FG XR6 is my first ever car I've owned. I feel proud to have this as my first car. I've not been around the "car" era long ( 3 years ) but it's sad considering I grew up in Fords, driving my brothers EL around and, Dads XR8. Good times.

:(
Old 23-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #398
lalo1003

Quick question, sorry if I sound like a newb but I'm new to this. I'm only 19 and I bought a second hand FG at the start of the year from a dealership.

When I purchased it I was told about the AHG 5year warranty plan. I agreed to it which added about $1700 to my finance.

If Ford is ceasing production of the Falcon by 2016 will they still honour their warranties beyond 2016?

Another one I'm curious about, what will happen with spare parts etc? Say 2017 I need a new diff or gear box whatever, will Ford still supply new spare parts as usual?

Thanks,
Luis
Old 23-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #399
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Lets be annoyed about the decision today but also thankful that we got to enjoy what made the Falcon great for over 50 years.
Absolutely.

Local auto manufacture was a massive part of building this country over the past 50 years and more. My grandfather walked off the boat from Greece in 1962 and onto the Holden production line. He talks about it with such passion to this day - it supported his family for a long time.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #400
Trump
bitch lasagne

An interesting commentary in The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/why...523-2k2n4.html
Old 23-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #401
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalo1003 View Post
Another one I'm curious about, what will happen with spare parts etc? Say 2017 I need a new diff or gear box whatever, will Ford still supply new spare parts as usual?
My understanding is that manufacturers have to provide parts support for 10 years or thereabouts. After that supplies will dwindle over time.

I'm not sure what happens if an operation actually shuts down though, so good question.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #402
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those of who have been into cars since the seventies will surely remember the great wailing and nashing of teeth that accompanied the death of the "Kingswood" nameplate. People at the time said it would be "the death of Holden", how "insulting" it was, how "bad for the company image". They went from one sort of car...a large old fashioned sedan with primitive underpinnings...to a modern European inspired sedan with pretty much the same room inside but which actually handled like a modern car.

People adapted, and they ended up loving the new car.

Ford went from the big old fashioned XC to the more compact XD...once again, there was critisism of the XD shape...too square, too small, too different. Ford could have...and considered I believe...using a different name other than Falcon for the completely new shape XD. Maybe they saw the backlash that happened to Holden and took note...who knows?

Once the Falcon nameplate is "retired", the world won't end, people won't stop driving Fords...they'll just stop driving new Falcons.

As for suppliers all "going to the wall" as some fear...I thought basic items like wiper blades and seat belts (mentioned in one news report on TV) and other small bits all came from the same place anyway for Ford and Holden here in Australia.

Ford dealerships will look pretty much like they do now, they'll employ the same number of people they do now...it's just there'll be one less model on the lot, and a lot more new models to replace it.

It's sad, but no company can put up with the losses that Ford has reported, and the taxpayers shouldn't be required to endlessly support a business just to allow them to keep making one model in a big range when it can be easily replaced by ones already built overseas by the same company.

Sorry, that's just being realistic.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #403
krypto71

As a Geelong resident, I feel most for the workers who will lose their jobs. As I've read, thankfully Ford have done the right thing and given all the staff members plenty of notice. I hope they will also have some kind of re-skilling program that allows the staff opportunity to support the product to the end, whilst building a bright future for themselves and their families.

I will more than likely hang onto my 03 XR8 for many more years now, and try and get another Falcon before they are no more.

It won't be the same to drive through Geelong, once the big blue Oval on the Highway is gone. I shudder to think what will stand in its place down the track.

41 years ago, my parents brought me home from hospital in a Falcon, 4 years ago, I did the same for my son, but who knows what my little bloke will bring his first born home from hospital in, in the years to come.

I'll miss the Falcon nameplate here. I'll no doubt aspire to own a new Mustang down the track, and an explorer will more than likely be a great family option for me.

I wish good luck to all the employees, not only at Ford, but also the many Ford suppliers. Thats the harshest part of this reality. Peoples livelihoods.

Steve
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #404
GT-spec15

Ford dealers have a very bright future.

It's seems cruel to say it...but they will do better without the Falcon once a medium-large replacement is sourced. I have spent a lot of time in USA over the past three years, and the current Explorer/Taurus are fantastic cars.

Taurus may need a different badge if it was ever sold here though...!!
Old 23-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #405
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalo1003 View Post
Quick question, sorry if I sound like a newb but I'm new to this. I'm only 19 and I bought a second hand FG at the start of the year from a dealership.

When I purchased it I was told about the AHG 5year warranty plan. I agreed to it which added about $1700 to my finance.

If Ford is ceasing production of the Falcon by 2016 will they still honour their warranties beyond 2016?

Thanks,
Luis
Ford stated that warranty's will not be affected and they will continue to service and warrant vehicles up to 2026. Which will be the minimum 10 year term required after the 2016 models

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #406
4stanger