Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #391
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Not bad Fat Yak....not bad at all. Still prefer my LC but fat yak make a decent ale that is for sure....
Fat Yak is very nice.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #392
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
Fat Yak is very nice.
Yep, Fat-Yak is very nice. It's on tap at a number of pubs in St Kilda at the moment including the Espy I think.

Also, I love:
Squires Golden Ale,
Shipstones Crew (Aldi) which doesn't seem to be available any more
Miller Chill for a really hot day
Any wheat beer
Lots of wheat beer
Did I mention wheat beer?

As a quaffer or a beer for working on the car or the bikes, I really like Boags Draught, but I find that more than 4 and I get a crackerjack headache the next day - moreso than from any other beer except VB which I haven't drunk in a long time as it's repulsive - so that means I don't drink the Boags much.

Why do they need to put so much preservative in a high volume, high consumption beer?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #393
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm drinking a 4 year old crownie, it tastes pretty nice, strong taste to it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #394
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Been drinking La Trappe lately, very nice, quite similar to Hoegaarden.

On a completely different front, I recently discovered Fat Yak - its fantastic beer. Reeeallly smooth, nice dark colour with a fruity taste.

You must have confused taste buds. La Trappe tastes nothing like Hoogaarden

Fat Yak is nice. If you like that you should try Alpha Ale
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #395
xr8-200

I'm drinking a James Boag Lager at the moment. Not a beer I would usualy buy (I scored a few freebees at work yesterday) but it tastes great.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #396
My32Doors

After 30 years of drinking all sorts of domestic and imported beers including some of the wild concoctions they come up with at Jurds at Wollombi, the Tooheys New on tap at the Mangrove Country Club has to be the BEST.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #397
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't mind Carlton Draught, usually down Toohey's Extra Dry but love the Toohey's Platinums (got a bunch in the fridge waiting). Not a massive beer drinker but will always be keen for a few here and there
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #398
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888

As a quaffer or a beer for working on the car or the bikes, I really like Boags Draught, but I find that more than 4 and I get a crackerjack headache the next day - moreso than from any other beer except VB which I haven't drunk in a long time as it's repulsive - so that means I don't drink the Boags much.

Why do they need to put so much preservative in a high volume, high consumption beer?
It is interesting you say that - I've found Boags Draught to be better out of a bottle than from a Tap. I've had it a couple on tap, mainly because it rates better than Carlton Draught/VB/Toohey's Draught, however I usually come away disappointed. I still love Coopers Pale Ale on tap. Probably the best tap beer, slightly ahead of Kilkenny.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #399
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
It is interesting you say that - I've found Boags Draught to be better out of a bottle than from a Tap. I've had it a couple on tap, mainly because it rates better than Carlton Draught/VB/Toohey's Draught, however I usually come away disappointed. I still love Coopers Pale Ale on tap. Probably the best tap beer, slightly ahead of Kilkenny.
Yes Coopers Pale Ale is a very good on tap beer. Widely available generally too which is good. Only very rarely do i find LC of any kind on tap...JS is more likely (love the JS lager this summer...). I think Coopers PA is better on tape then in a bottle funny enough....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #400
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Yes Coopers Pale Ale is a very good on tap beer. Widely available generally too which is good. Only very rarely do i find LC of any kind on tap...JS is more likely (love the JS lager this summer...). I think Coopers PA is better on tape then in a bottle funny enough....
Never had CPA on tape. I take it you swallow the tape, and the beer runs down it, and straight into your stomach, bypassing that annoying stage of tasting and then swallowing the beer. That's a great idea Keelan. Australia's drunk population will love you.

I have to say, I find it strange with Boags Draught, as it is the only beer that I have sampled both on tap, and in bottle that I prefer the bottled variant, and I've had a bloody lot of beer in my time. You haven't lived unless you've had a big night at a German Cafe (like the Lowenbrau). I was a regular at the one in Sydney many years ago.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #401
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recently had both Fat Yak and Little Creatures Pale Ales on hand...

Both great drinks, but Little Creatures won for me. More flavour with same hoppy finish.

Both are well worth it though.

Coopers for the price is bloody good...just like Cascade Amber Ale was...stupid Green Hippies beers and low-carb garbage!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #402
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Never had CPA on tape. I take it you swallow the tape, and the beer runs down it, and straight into your stomach, bypassing that annoying stage of tasting and then swallowing the beer. That's a great idea Keelan. Australia's drunk population will love you.

I have to say, I find it strange with Boags Draught, as it is the only beer that I have sampled both on tap, and in bottle that I prefer the bottled variant, and I've had a bloody lot of beer in my time. You haven't lived unless you've had a big night at a German Cafe (like the Lowenbrau). I was a regular at the one in Sydney many years ago.
You see, i just noticed that typo and i thought better of correcting it...after all the 'mature' readers of this thread would realise it was a small spelling error.... So much for 'mature' readers hey andrew? Still, i'd be up for that system...it means you can buy really cheap rubbish beer and still consume it without tasting anything....it would make VB palatable....well maybe not quite...

I think most beers are better on tap (NOT tape) but you need to consume them properly. If you get one at a restaurant off the bar's tap then the waiter mucks it around and it doesn't come out cold enough etc. etc. Maybe i just find a nice cold beer (in a glass!!) from a bottle nicer with the company of mates at home in front of the telly then with screaming hords of bums at the local....

Then again, the first time i tried LC (on tap it was) was still the best it has ever tasted....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 10-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #403
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Recently had both Fat Yak and Little Creatures Pale Ales on hand...

Both great drinks, but Little Creatures won for me. More flavour with same hoppy finish.

Both are well worth it though.

Coopers for the price is bloody good...just like Cascade Amber Ale was...stupid Green Hippies beers and low-carb garbage!
I detected a bit of a 'stronger' lingering aftertaste with fat yack versus most other good pale ales too. Not saying that is bad just that i don't prefer it in my beers so much (fine with an aftertaste as it goes down but don't want to taste the beer for the next hour if you know what i mean).

Coopers is good for the price but if you really stingy i think its Boags FTW. Its dirt cheap (esp on sale) and not bad drinking. Dont get me wrong its no LC, Squires etc. but much much better than similarly priced main stream swamp water (VB etc.). My old man got a carton of Boags premium light for $34....XXXX (including low carb 'summertime'..yuk) was $33, yeah tough choice.... The Boag's light is one of the best lights out there...as a bit of a nutty finish to it....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #404
zdcol71
zdcol71

Brisbane Bitter, and Powers were the only 2 beers that I could never actually drink. Out of a million others, thats not bad odds. Other than that, what can you say about beer.
I have got one of those "motivation" pictures on my fridge...,Image of a Pub, rainbow appearing to alight on it with the caption.. "BEER, God wants you to drink it"
If God wants it, who am I to anger him/her??
Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #405
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Been drinking La Trappe lately, very nice, quite similar to Hoegaarden.

On a completely different front, I recently discovered Fat Yak - its fantastic beer. Reeeallly smooth, nice dark colour with a fruity taste.
Yes, La Trappe is really nice, Boss gave Dad a pack with the single, double and tripple, Dad gave me the single and I liked it. Where can I buy more from? Thanks.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #406
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

As far as "quaffing beers" go, I know Carlton draught isn't great but having been given a 6 pack and accidently leaving it in the freezer for two hours, it is easy enough to drink on such a hot day like this, even out the can. I would never actually buy it though
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #407
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Southwark king brown's.. Icey cold.. Poured into a chilled glass.. Delicious!!..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #408
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Going to give a newie a go tonight (once it gets cold!)

The RAT bitter ale, brewed by The Rebellion Brewery right here in Ballarat using all local ingredients. Hopefully it's a goer, supposedly made the same was as beer was in the old Ballarat Brewery many a year ago.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #409
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Yes, La Trappe is really nice, Boss gave Dad a pack with the single, double and tripple, Dad gave me the single and I liked it. Where can I buy more from? Thanks.
What the hell is the single?

La Trappe have a Dubbel (my fave), Tripel, Quadruppel, Witte Trappiste, Bockbier, and the limited 2009 special release, Isid'Or (Vintage Cellars at Pinewood only bought a total of 24 bottles (700ml)...I bought six of them).

I have had them all except the bockbier.
I would like to try it so if anybody knows where it is, just let me know.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #410
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Going to give a newie a go tonight (once it gets cold!)

The RAT bitter ale, brewed by The Rebellion Brewery right here in Ballarat using all local ingredients. Hopefully it's a goer, supposedly made the same was as beer was in the old Ballarat Brewery many a year ago.
This is a good beer, a VERY good beer.

Quite bitter and has a very old style taste (they managed it!) almost like something from the Squire stable but with something extra that to me actually puts it above. I will be getting into this stuff.

Btw don't look for this until at least next month as you won't find it. It currently is only available here in ballarat but will be going national next month.
Old 26-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #411
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Fat Yak and Little Creatures are great beers, but Mountain Goat is the king! Hightail Ale is awesome, and the new Steam Ale which replaces the old Pale Ale is also really good.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #412
mick457
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

right from the 1st post that i read i new it was gonna be a good thread and so it has been
i have a few fav beers
when i go out i drink xxxx gold on tap its cheap not to strong so i can drink it all night and best of all and any beer drinker will agree with me ITS ON TAP
which tastes so good, i may also throught a rum and coke into the mix later on in the night 10/10

now if im at home
i tend to drink TEDS (tooheys extra dry) also a very nice beer plenty of flavour and after a hard day of work knocks you for 6 if u drink em quick enough which is great to put me to sleep 9/10

1 day i walked into an rsl with a mate of mine from work and we saw that they were selling millers chilled for $2 a stuby never had it b4 so we thought why not, let me say if u havnt tryed this beer do ya self a favour and buy a 6 pack if u like carlton dry fusions ull like millers but being american beer probley more expinsive 10/10

stones green ginger beers aint to bad aswell abit sweet if u like gingerbeer then u mayaswell keep this in your fridge as a straight swap lol 7/10

beer asfollowed
xxxx
teds
carton dry/ fusions
millers chilled
carlton cold

i hope this helps with beer selection in the futura
and good drinking to you all on this fine satuday watchin the v8s and f1s
carlton cold

Performace
DBA 4000s, Blue power intake, Whiteline swaybars, FG manifold, PWR Radiator, king springs low, Monroe gt sport
DJR bobtail, LSD 3.46, 20%UD
Pacemaker 4490s, Venom cat, redback catback
mick457 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #413
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I tried a Millers Chill once and I think I contracted AIDS from it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #414
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick457
carton dry/ fusions

Fusions are all I drink now!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 01:09 AM   #415
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Anyone drink 'barons' beers? i have some pale ale and lagers here. am consuming presently. Will inform when further along...so far so good, not great mind you, but not bad for the price i paid....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 28-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #416
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Anyone drink 'barons' beers? i have some pale ale and lagers here. am consuming presently. Will inform when further along...so far so good, not great mind you, but not bad for the price i paid....
Try their premium Black Wattle Ale, 'tis very good.
Old 28-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #417
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:

I was not a big fan of their Lager Keelan. It was disappointing, however in the same session, I had Squire's Golden Ale, and Coopers Pale Ale. I am a big fan of both.

Have you explored the Matilda bay range Keelan? Big Helga is average, but they've got a couple of other standouts, including Red Back, and their Pilsner is up there with Squire's. The one from Matilda Bay that I am looking for, is their Alpha Pale Ale. I just can't find it.

Last edited by Paxton; 28-03-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 28-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #418
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I used to drink the usual stuff until a few years ago when I realised I should drink what I want and not what is affordable, so now I'll give anything a go with some sort of recomendation (usually from my local publican Joe) at the moment I'm drinking Coopers Red "a nice drop" but do have a soft spot for Little creatures Rodgers on tap at little creatures.... to me it never tastes the same from stubbie

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #419
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Try their premium Black Wattle Ale, 'tis very good.
Wanted too but they didnt' have any at my local 'first choice'. Shame really as it is the first time i can think of that they let me down. Place is HUGE and generally has everything but if you sell out you sell out i suppose...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #420
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
I was not a big fan of their Lager Keelan. It was disappointing, however in the same session, I had Squire's Golden Ale, and Coopers Pale Ale. I am a big fan of both.

Have you explored the Matilda bay range Keelan? Big Helga is average, but they've got a couple of other standouts, including Red Back, and their Pilsner is up there with Squire's. The one from Matilda Bay that I am looking for, is their Alpha Pale Ale. I just can't find it.
Agree on the lager. It is not 'right'. They have a more traditional crisp/clear european lager (88 i think is its name) but i got the straight up 'barons lager' and it is quite strange for a lager. Its very hoppy, and tastes almost like a flat Fat Yak. Given i prefer LC or Squires over Fat Yak anyway well....

As for the Pale Ale it wasn't bad. More body then the lager but a very similar finish. I think i got if for around $10 a six pack so much cheapr then the top level stuff.... Niether beer was very impressive on the palate straight up really....its no LC.

Matilda bay well as i said fat yak, and beez neez (think the latter is pretty overated IMO but then again i dont' like wheat beer), i really want to try the red back but forgot to look for it on my last trip. Will look for their pilsener too if you say it is up there with squires.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....